• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I don't really want an open world, and I don't mind the constraints on time at all. But so far, Im just being dragged along, and I assume its because its just a tutorial phase.

Er, is there any freedom in school? Like ditching classes or answering questions in class? I really enjoyed answering the Plato question lol

The game drags you along for quite a while. It will get worse before it gets better. It's a super long game so you will have plenty of time but it really irks some people.

There is some freedom in school but it is dependent on boosting certain Confidant relationships. And even then it will still only happen at scripted intervals. You will never have the total freedom to decide whether to go to class or skip or anything like that.

You do get lots and lots of opportunities to answer questions in class.

Can you tell me more about dungeons? What kind of variety can I expect outside of the Castle?

Dungeons are amazing. IMO some of the best JRPG dungeons ever outside of dedicated dungeon crawlers. Each has a unique theme associated with them as well. If the Castle theme isn't too your liking then you will see completely different themes.

They are pretty long though so its best to pace yourself instead of trying to get a dungeon done in a single day or two.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
People dont what spoiler tags are in this thread so I'll come back when I finish the game.

The game drags you along for quite a while. It will get worse before it gets better. It's a super long game so you will have plenty of time but it really irks some people.

There is some freedom in school but it is dependent on boosting certain Confidant relationships. And even then it will still only happen at scripted intervals. You will never have the total freedom to decide whether to go to class or skip or anything like that.

You do get lots and lots of opportunities to answer questions in class.

Dungeons are amazing. IMO some of the best JRPG dungeons ever outside of dedicated dungeon crawlers. Each has a unique theme associated with them as well. If the Castle theme isn't too your liking then you will see completely different themes.

They are pretty long though so its best to pace yourself instead of trying to get a dungeon done in a single day or two.

Thanks. I think Im interested, its just hard to really tell with a JRPG because its such a commitment.

nOoblet16

Damn, it looks like the period before sending the calling card to
Shido
causes your groups SL opportunities to disappear. I just wasted 2 days because of it and possibly my opportunity to beat the game with maxed SLs.
I am exactly at this point, infact I just got back from that palace. So should I not wait at all and send the calling card asap?

nOoblet16

Thanks. I don't really want an open world, and I don't mind the constraints on time at all. But so far, Im just being dragged along, and I assume its because its just a tutorial phase.

Er, is there any freedom in school? Like ditching classes or answering questions in class? I really enjoyed answering the Plato question lol

Can you tell me more about dungeons? What kind of variety can I expect outside of the Castle?
Without spoiling I'll just say that since the dungeons are all inside people's head you can expect quite an unconventional amount of variety. None of them are even remotely like each other in terms of aesthetics, design, environment, enemy and music.

Of all the ones I've played (I think I've played all the actual dubgeons in the game) only one ended up being a stinker, but it had an amazing boss fight to make up for it.

There is an RNG dungeon as well for side quests which mostly looks the same with a palatte and colour swap and is filled with all sorts of enemies. But it's a side dungeon after all, in past Persona games this is how a main dungeon would look like so P5 is a big big step up considering in this game they are properly designed.

A.J.

Banned
Yeah, I noticed this as well. I wasn't going to max all my SLs first playthrough anyway, but it is annoying.
I'm only annoyed because I'll be at like all maxed except Haru who will be at 8 probably. At least I will definitely crush NG+ since I fumbled quite a few days this playthrough.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there any reason the game gives answer choices that are almost exactly the same? Example:

Do you have someone I could interview?

I know someone
It's a Deal

day 6/6. The manager abusing one of his employees. On the 8th floor I beelive. Or third area of mementos

I feel bad about abusing this trick but lords knows I am going to need the money because these weapons are getting costly

Weapons are pricey indeed. Was annoying when I would make a big purchase and then find the weapon in literally the next dungeon.

nOoblet16

Is there any reason the game gives answer choices that are almost exactly the same? Example:

I know someone
It's a Deal
RPG bruv !
But really it's because the protagonist was asked a question and he is mute (for the most part). So the only way to show that he is responding would be to have a written dialogue but not having option would mean it's look odd. Plus sometimes it leads to some really hilarious one liners. You wouldn't really want him to be like Gordon Freeman where everyone is talking to him and pretending that he responds when he is doing nothing.

In any case, they could have made Joker fully voiced. He has a personality and some voice lines, he even has a proper name that's used in manga..Akira something.

Opa-Pa

I know someone
It's a Deal

They suggest different tones and levels of enthusiasm which the other character will react accordingly to. Makes sense to me.

Zakalwe

Banned
Did I just let two strange dudes in the red light district
kidnap Ryugi?

MC is a terrible person.

They suggest different tones and levels of enthusiasm which the other character will react accordingly to. Makes sense to me.

Well, of course, I meant more in terms of result.

ShadyK54

I can't believe this happened

I'm still in shock over the thread being real, but that lock post is just the most perfect way to cap it off.

And there's a Kotaku article now too. lol

fa30bdf9bbb8a1f78d19d51c869437ab.gif

Browsing Youtube I found the segment where (end July spoilers)
Makoto invites you to watch a movie with her. In my first run I passed on all these invitations during the summer vacation because they don't rank up the link, but it seems they're worth accepting just for watching the cutscene with the confidant.

TuXx

10/26 spoilers

WTF Futaba? You're suppose to be the smart one of the group. Why the hell are you telling Sojiro everything?

Zakalwe

Banned
RPG bruv !
But really it's because the protagonist was asked a question and he is mute (for the most part). So the only way to show that he is responding would be to have a written dialogue but not having option would mean it's look odd. Plus sometimes it leads to some really hilarious one liners. You wouldn't really want him to be like Gordon Freeman where everyone is talking to him and pretending that he responds when he is doing nothing.

In any case, they could have made Joker fully voiced. He has a personality and some voice lines, he even has a proper name that's used in manga..Akira something.

Yeh, he's a weird hybrid of blank slate and actual character.

I'll keep RPGing as a jerk then. Jerk MC is best MC.

Chaos17

20/11 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
The story could've been so much better if they didn't kept the Akechi twist just for a a twist. I mean man, I was bored to death after Futaba chapter. I almost droped the game after 5th palace.

Mementos (The Freshmaker!) / Fortune confidant spoilers:
Shadow Fukurai can kiss my ass. Brainjacked half my team at start and no weaknesses, smh. Lucky Punch, Arahabaki, and shocked status saved my ass. Thanks for the yen and leveling all 7 of my characters, you schmuck.

nOoblet16

Browsing Youtube I found the segment where (end July spoilers)
Makoto invites you to watch a movie with her. In my first run I passed on all these invitations during the summer vacation because they don't rank up the link, but it seems they're worth accepting just for watching the cutscene with the confidant.
"You're a psychopath who bakes for money!"

Zesh

OTOH

Chariot
Priestess
Empress
Emperor
Hierophant
Hermit
Star
Temperance
Sun
Fortune
Devil
Death
Lovers
Tower
Hanged Man

I think Moon is just taking requests for Mishima. I've never not ranked up with him.

Sun always ranks up. He's a bro.

So based on this, the ones which don't need matching arcana are:

Sun
Moon
Strength
Magician
Fool
Justice
Judgment

Is that correct?

Lunar15

I can't believe this happened

I'm still in shock over the thread being real, but that lock post is just the most perfect way to cap it off.

And there's a Kotaku article now too. lol

Proof that GAF will complain about literally anything.

Anywho, enjoying the game, just opened up Palace 3. The battle system isn't quite clicking with me yet, and I can't figure out why. I'm also unable to really dive deep into personas and find ones that I want to use, but again, I'm not really sure why. Can't tell if something's different within the game (compared to previous titles) or just that I've changed.

I'm going at my own pace, unconcerned with maxing all confidants. I want to savor this game, not rush it.

ramyeon

Mementos (The Freshmaker!) / Fortune confidant spoilers:
Shadow Fukurai can kiss my ass. Brainjacked half my team at start and no weaknesses, smh. Lucky Punch, Arahabaki, and shocked status saved my ass. Thanks for the yen and leveling all 7 of my characters, you schmuck.
He's weak to Ice.

Just kept baton passing between Yusuke and MC and destroyed him.

Hero

When you get a hold up against enemies, what are most of you guys doing? If I already have the Persona I usually just finish them off for the XP, but I'm not sure if that's the correct choice. Whenever I choose money or items I feel like it's a waste.

Zesh

When you get a hold up against enemies, what are most of you guys doing? If I already have the Persona I usually just finish them off for the XP, but I'm not sure if that's the correct choice. Whenever I choose money or items I feel like it's a waste.

In general, I try to finish off all but one if possible and then go for money or an item. If I can't do that, I usually just all-out attack. Mementos farming makes money essentially a non-issue, so I generally find the experience more valuable.

I also go for money/an item if I can't finish all of the enemies in one turn with an all-out attack.

daveo42

Banned

Extort them 1-2 times and then finish them off with the All-Out Attack. You get xp, money, more money, and x2 money if you have the money luck ability from the Fortune Confidant.

Rarius

Mementos uh, spoilers I guess?
Can I despair the reaper? I know it can come naturally on certain dates, but I have a party member with a skill that can cause it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom