• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

Any suggestions for personas that learn confuse boost? I missed that skill so I've been relying in stagnant air.

Thanks for reminding me I have to play Persona 2 :p

But, in any case, I think in the current society it'd be a very interesting story to tell. Because of how social media works and all, there would be plenty of differences with a game that's 15 years old.

It's actually pretty impressive that you came up with the idea without knowing about P2 haha. Yeah P2's central thing is that all popular rumors become true.

They already took clear inspiration in P2 for Yusuke and Ann so let's hope.

Jintor

I see. I'm trying for max link on my new game plus without a guide so will see how it is. Trying the English dub this time and honestly only weak point is makoto. Sojiro sounds great in the English dub. Think it's papa Nier voice actor so might be a bit bias.

i think makoto is pretty decent, though not s-tier like ryuuji and sojiro. it's a good interpretation of the character i think.

About 12 hours in - I got the game on release game but I only have time to play an hour or two per day, at best - and this may be my favorite game ever. P4G is a top-5 all-timer for me, and after almost 200 hours in that world my attachment to that cast and that setting is stronger than any game could build in 12 hours, but P5 is already close on that front and the massive improvements in dungeon-crawling are a huge difference. I like SMT-style battles in general, but in P4G I always felt like the dungeons were a thing I had to get through in order to get back to the other parts of the game I liked more. P5's palaces (the first one, anyway) feel like a destination unto themselves.

Named my character
Sora Shiro
and my group
Bleublanc
in reference to the Trails series' Phantom Thief B - I know my MC's name doesn't translate directly to
Blue White
but I preferred the sound of the name I chose to any of the alternatives I could think of.

Posting this question again : If for example I get 6 points for hanging out and giving a gift to someone but I only need 3 points for the next rank, do the 3 points remaining carry on ?

Opa-Pa

That's decent money. The trick is that you can stay in battle and make them throw money infinitely (provided you're lucky).

TheFlow

Banned
How much was your Luck stat?
12 high pixie. No confuse boost either but it seems to land every time.

This is on shadow odo

I am now getting an average of 18 thousand.

This is so broken. Wonder if they will patch this

The best part is this mini boss is a physical attacker so just guard and confuse him when he charges

i think makoto is pretty decent, though not s-tier like ryuuji and sojiro. it's a good interpretation of the character i think.

I love Makoto, given her personality/character I think her voice acting works a lot better than, say, Mitsuru in P3 (who I love generally but honestly never sounded like a high school student to me). Also, as one of four people who liked Danganronpa: Another Episode, it was neat to hear Komaru's voice actor again.

(I haven't checked but I also suspect Futaba's VA did Toko in the Danganronpa series. I'm notoriously bad at recognizing voice actors, though.)

12 high pixie. No confuse boost either but it seems to land every time.

This is on shadow odo

I am now getting an average of 18 thousand.

This is so broken. Wonder if they will patch this

The best part is this mini boss is a physical attacker so just guard and confuse him when he charges

Which one is odo agains. Got a feeling that I have beaten him already in new game plus. Had 800000 carried over so not struggling with money.

TheFlow

Banned
Which one is odo agains. Got a feeling that I have beaten him already in new game plus. Had 800000 carried over so not struggling with money.
day 6/6. The manager abusing one of his employees. On the 8th floor I beelive. Or third area of mementos

I feel bad about abusing this trick but lords knows I am going to need the money because these weapons are getting costly

OK, so Ive been to the (first hour spoiler area)
Castle
twice now, and have gotten a good feel for the game, I think. So far, everything still feels very tutorialized, which is fine.

Keep in mind Im playing my friend's copy and still undecided.

I very much like the school setting though Im afraid the dungeon crawling will drag me down as I grow tired of it. I enjoyed the starting area, but am curious what else the game has in store?

The OT says something like you can do whatever you want during the day. How does that work? Does the game allow you to go to school and develop things like skills and relationships there? Can you ditch it all to explore the seemingly vast and integrate town?

Do you control the pace of the story progression? Right now, it seems everything is automated to push the story along.

I think I like this game, but with every JRPG, I grow increasingly worried that I will drop it halfway around.

Really, the only JRPGs Ive finished are Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Pokemon, Golden Sun, Dark Cloud 2.... I loved them all but Im still so unsure about this game because it's so weird and different.

Also, Im not sure how I feel about the setting, as some areas don't interest me (like the first area feeling very dark and cookie cutter). Is that just the starting area? Are there more interesting Persona worlds after?

-Kees-

Can anyone tell me what making a good dialogue choice in the Confidant scenes does because I played through all of Persona 4 and I'm about a third of the way through 5 and have no idea whatsoever or why it even matters.

Ourobolus

Banned
The OT says something like you can do whatever you want during the day. How does that work? Does the game allow you to go to school and develop things like skills and relationships there? Can you ditch it all to explore the seemingly vast and integrate town?

Do you control the pace of the story progression? Right now, it seems everything is automated to push the story along.

You (for the most part) control the story progression. Each day that the game isn't pushing you forward with plot, you'll get time after school and in the evening to do whatever you want*

*Most things you do will consume all of that time though (either after school or evening).

So you have to decide what things to work on during those two timeframes, whether it is hang out with a friend, work on a personal stat like Knowledge, explore a dungeon, etc.

Can anyone tell me what making a good dialogue choice in the Confidant scenes does because I played through all of Persona 4 and I'm about a third of the way through 5 and have no idea whatsoever or why it even matters.

IN GENERAL, the best choices will give you 3 points (musical notes), or only 2 if you don't have a corresponding persona on you. However, not all decisions have answers that give points, and some may only have decisions that give 2 (or 1 w/o the persona) points, with no option that gives 3.

EDIT: Also, if you want to meet with a confidant, the game will tell you whether you are going to rank up. If it says "I think we'll become closer soon (paraphrasing)," then you'll rank up. If not, then it'll say something like "I don't think we'll become closer (paraphrasing)." You can also press Square on the map over each location to see if a confidant there will rank up - It'll say UP!! next to their name.

Answering the questions during a rank up doesn't do anything towards the current Rank.
Say you are meeting with Ryuji, and it says you'll be closer soon. You're currently Rank 3.
No matter what you pick, you'll hit Rank 4. The points you earn during that discussion move you closer to Rank 5.

Yu Narukami

day 6/6. The manager abusing one of his employees. On the 8th floor I beelive. Or third area of mementos

I feel bad about abusing this trick but lords knows I am going to need the money because these weapons are getting costly
Is that the
florist
request?

TheFlow

Banned
Like 3-4 social links work on a point system or w.e. So using a good answer boost the chance for them to lv up next time. Basically more good answers equals less time needed to max them out

Opa-Pa

Picking the right answer gives you more music notes (confidant points), the max number per answer is 3, and these fill an invisible meter that determines whether you rank up next time you meet. Think of Ranks as levels and music notes as exp points. Getting 3 consistently makes it so you'll rarely have to hang out without getting a rank up.

En-ou

Is it just me or do the controls and feel for moving about as Joker seem very stiff and clunky? The hallways being narrow doesn't help much. I seem to be always running into walls and objects and the camera is literally manual. Only gripe so far.

Siyou

My copy finally comes tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to play this on the weekend. It's about damnnnn time! Is this game as good as the hype? Is the hype real?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
3rd palace complete (hard mode). Took me a few game overs and loading an earlier save to get prepared correctly for the boss but it wasn't too bad.

Lovin' it so far.

Hrm yes, the constant male gaze with which Anne is sexualized is somewhat problematic and an unnecessary blemish on this game.

Palace 6 Start Spoilers

Hooooooooly shiiiiiiiit Shadow Sae,
god damn. Sweet merciful lord above let me romance her.

Ahem. *unbuttons top button of shirt* Uh what was I saying?

muteki

Some answers give more "points" than others, represented by the notes that pop up after a dialog choice. You can get 0, 1, 2, or 3 "points" for each choice (many questions will always give you 0 regardless of what you choose). You will get more points if you have a persona of the same arcana equipped and active while you hang out.

When you meet up with someone the game looks at how many points you have and if it is above a threshold, the confidant rank will increase that day. If not, you will just get a generic spending time filler day event.

Long story short, choosing "correct" answers will keep the filler days to a minimum and level your confidant levels up faster with less in game time.

OK, so Ive been to the (first hour spoiler area)
Castle
twice now, and have gotten a good feel for the game, I think. So far, everything still feels very tutorialized, which is fine.

Keep in mind Im playing my friend's copy and still undecided.

I very much like the school setting though Im afraid the dungeon crawling will drag me down as I grow tired of it. I enjoyed the starting area, but am curious what else the game has in store?

I think I like this game, but with every JRPG, I grow increasingly worried that I will drop it halfway around.

Really, the only JRPGs Ive finished are Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Pokemon, Golden Sun, Dark Cloud 2.... I loved them all but Im still so unsure about this game because it's so weird and different.

Also, Im not sure how I feel about the setting, as some areas don't interest me (like the first area feeling very dark and cookie cutter). Is that just the starting area? Are there more interesting Persona worlds after?

Best wait on a price drop.

P5 isn't a conventional open world game where you can screw around forever on side stuff before deciding to move the main plot forward. Story events happen on set days and there is no avoiding it. You can't slow down time either. You essentially get to choose a single activity during each chunk of time (afternoon/evening) and then the clock moves forward.

The game provides methods to loosen these time constraints but they are built into the various systems that will take time to unlock.

A.J.

Banned
Damn, it looks like the period before sending the calling card to
Shido
causes your groups SL opportunities to disappear. I just wasted 2 days because of it and possibly my opportunity to beat the game with maxed SLs.

Meier

I read some people saying they were lvl 30 or above when they finished the 4th dungeon, but I'm like 24. Did you guys grinded in the Palaces? I'm pretty much sure I've done everything I could in the Mementos.

I have not done any fighting in the 4th dungeon (just unlocked it) and believe I'm at level 32-ish. If you finished or even got to the 4th at level 24, that's pretty amazing. Especially if you've done anything at all in Mementos (I've only been about 3 times).

nOoblet16

Uh the 7th palace makes you fight strong enemy one after another without letting you save. I've finished it now with only the main boss remaining but if I didn't have SP recovery options I'd have been fucked near the very end because of
fighting Yakuza guy who was thought, then the multi stage Akechi fight, both with no save options. I actually was lucky to have damage repel personas so I breezed through the Akechi fight. The Yakuza boss fight was actually harder for me.
(Since invigorate band isn't nearly enough to last the entire palace for Joker if he is filling in multiple roles constantly)

Burbeting

Banned
Shido
causes your groups SL opportunities to disappear. I just wasted 2 days because of it and possibly my opportunity to beat the game with maxed SLs.

Wait, really? Can someone confirm this?

Weebos

Banned
Shido

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I wasn't going to max all my SLs first playthrough anyway, but it is annoying.

Best wait on a price drop.

P5 isn't a conventional open world game where you can screw around forever on side stuff before deciding to move the main plot forward. Story events happen on set days and there is no avoiding it. You can't slow down time either. You essentially get to choose a single activity during each chunk of time (afternoon/evening) and then the clock moves forward.

The game provides methods to loosen these time constraints but they are built into the various systems that will take time to unlock.

Thanks. I don't really want an open world, and I don't mind the constraints on time at all. But so far, Im just being dragged along, and I assume its because its just a tutorial phase.

Er, is there any freedom in school? Like ditching classes or answering questions in class? I really enjoyed answering the Plato question lol

Can you tell me more about dungeons? What kind of variety can I expect outside of the Castle?

I opened that bookmarked soundcloud page of the OST rip from when the game released in september, I remember not really resonating with it except for the normal battle theme and the opening song. Really disappointed me back then. Especially how I rock the p3 and p4 soundtracks on a regular basis.

I have been listening to the full OST since I finished the game last monday. Now I wish that I have extended version or a looping version of all songs to listen to while I'm at work or on commute.

Zakalwe

Banned
I wish the skill cards allowed you to view skill information too. Unless I'm missing something and you can?

I'm pretty sure your party S Links disappear between finding the route to the treasure and sending the calling card. Thats been the case for me for all the palaces.

Yeh, so far at least... they won't give any option but "we should go to the palace" during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom