• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eunoia

Neo Member
palace 4 deadline:
MC cleaning Futaba's room while she is hacking away. Cracked me up.

EDIT:
Aaaand she's back to sleep. I love this girl already.

ebil

palace 3 deadline:
MC cleaning Futaba's room while she is hacking away.
Cracked me up.
That's certainly not a Palace 3 spoiler. I'm long past Palace 4 and haven't seen this yet. You should probably edit.

Edit: everyone is so quick. :p

Cervantes3

Neo Member
Mid-September Spoilers:

I really wish the game would play more with your expectations when Morgana is gone. They could have done a lot of really fun things with the template of when Morgana speaks to you (telling you to go to bed, the snarky responses after answering a question, etc.) but instead they just replace them with standard thought bubbles or drop them whole cloth.

The player expects Morgana in those moments so it would have been satisfying to see that reflected in Joker. Like... in class, after a question, instead of just dropping the traditional Mona tag, what if Joker thought "Class feels kind of lonely today..." At night, when you're being forced to go to bed, they could have acknowledged that Morgana would have recommended you sleep. Hell, why not have a scene where you decide to stay up despite being tired (since no one is babysitting you) and then you feel terrible the next day or end up ill. Like, "Wow. Morgana was right all along."

As brilliant as this game is, they truly hesitate to subvert the expectations of the player mechanically and (for the most part) narratively. Not saying they'd have to but... it feels like some missed opportunities there.

They did something like that in Persona 4 when
Nanako and Dojima are hospitalized.
I thought that was a pretty nice touch.

raveking

Banned
20160905_044852_thumb.png

You can do this in the game right? Please tell this wasn't another one of those things that was cut out from the original PV....

nOoblet16

Ah, this is great too! Though isn't sprinting near enemies going to increase the detection rating?
Well they don't get alerted immediately and if you are not on the same level or platform as then they won't detect you. Plus they need to be close to be able to detect your sprinting.

There's also the fact that the best way to skip fights and sneak past enemies is to just go cover to cover, you can literally be at a hair length away from an enemy and be right in front of him but they won't notice you if you are in cover. It helped me so much in some dungeons.

nOoblet16

I really wish future games get rid of the anime cutscenes. The in game engine looks so much better than some of the shoddy animation.
Yea the in engine ones look better but they barely even animate. They all just stand there most of the time not doing anything for the most part with the same generic hand gestures and movements thrown in every now and then.

WaterAstro

Alright, I'm lost with Mishima social.

Going for Rank 6 and following this guide, but he's nowhere to be seen. Not outside in Shibuya Central or Shinjuku Red Light district. Could he be anywhere else?

Jintor

lmao

the 1st september cutscene,
thank god they changed the language joke from ryuuji trying to speak english to the customs agent to a generic 'ryuuji is an idiot' joke

it was pretty funny in japanese though, but it reminded me too vividly of my students

It's not a persona game without the anime cutscenes besides they look good to me in 5 imo.

Sure. They look good but the in-engine ones look better so the anime scenes feel rather superfluous.

And besides, you're wrong on your first point,: Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Persona 3: Portable all didn't have anime cutscenes.

nOoblet16

lmao

thank god they changed the language joke from ryuuji trying to speak english to the customs agent to a generic 'ryuuji is an idiot' joke

it was pretty funny in japanese though, but it reminded me too vividly of my students
I wanted to see how that cutscene sounded in Japanese and I found it funny in a stupid way. It wouldn't land the same way in English.

Sure. They look good but the in-engine ones look better so the anime scenes feel rather superfluous.

And besides, you're wrong on your first point,: Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Persona 3: Portable all didn't have anime cutscenes.

I know they didn't, I should have rephrased that it's not a modern Persona without the anime cutscenes. I can totally see your point though and agree that the engine itself does stand on its own.

Alright, I'm lost with Mishima social.

Going for Rank 6 and following this guide, but he's nowhere to be seen. Not outside in Shibuya Central or Shinjuku Red Light district. Could he be anywhere else?
Try pressing square on the subway map. It usually tells you the general location of where people are.

Toki767

lmao

I do feel like I have to keep reminding myself that they're all supposed to be speaking Japanese, except in the places where they specifically point out how they're speaking English.

nOoblet16

Sölf;233884665 said:
Flower Shop, Convenience Store, Bar. That's up to September, not sure if more will come later. I think 3 times for all jobs until something happens.
For the he had you just have to speak to the right person I think. I got it my 2nd time around

zulux21

Nice deadline on the third palace at least.

Edit: damn even with the discount the sp regen accessories are 50k each :eek:

well they are, but at the same time they pay for themselves very quickly.
even just one of them let me do all of palace 3 in one go. with how I am doing momentos one would work to basically let you go forever... just use hp based skills and only use your sp to heal. I have 3 of them now and am debating if I actually need a 4th. either way i am finally over 100k so I might stop playing around in momentos as i was mostly there for social link money and stat boosting money.

Is there an actual good English guide for what confidants like what gifts? The ones I found seem like they took guesses at the item names based on the Japanese release.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've finished up the 3rd dungeon and p5 has definitely smoothed out a lot of the mechanical stupidity of past persona games. There's really only one that remains that I have despised since forever which is having to have the right persona on you when talking to confidants. Why is that shit not just looking at my compendium?

Don't make me run to the velvet room -> pay to pull out the lowest level of ___ arcana -> run back to the confidant.

Instead, look at how many of arcana ___ I have registered and give me a bonus based on that. That way, if I like a particular confidant, I'm incentivized to fuse more persona of that type which will in turn be powerful because I'm high level with that type. They fuel into each other in a fun way. Simple.

edit: also I kind of miss shuffle time over the negotiation stuff.

Well they don't get alerted immediately and if you are not on the same level or platform as then they won't detect you. Plus they need to be close to be able to detect your sprinting.

There's also the fact that the best way to skip fights and sneak past enemies is to just go cover to cover, you can literally be at a hair length away from an enemy and be right in front of him but they won't notice you if you are in cover. It helped me so much in some dungeons.

Yeah, cover is totally overpowered, but I'm sure if they wanted it to be less OP they could have made it function differently. It offsets the somewhat clunky nature of the mechanic itself, I don't like how restrictive the teleporting is but because you don't have to worry about enemies seeing you at all, it allows you to take your time deciding what to do. The dungeons are so much better here than in previous games it's crazy.

Thanks for the info on sprinting as well. It helps out.

I know they didn't, I should have rephrased that it's not a modern Persona without the anime cutscenes. I can totally see your point though and agree that the engine itself does stand on its own.

I think they add life to certain city scenes, and in particular the first two anime scenes introducing Ann seemed like they really added a lot to the first impression. In particular her
second animation in the restaurant/diner when talking about Kamoshida
reaffirmed to me that the anime scenes have a place. I do agree that finally the game looks good enough that it doesn't need to rely on either the character portrait art or the anime scenes to make the characters look good, but I felt that the animation made her introduction seem more memorable. The
tears when talking about her and Suzuki's situation
would be harder to portray as emotionally charged in-game. Likewise the MC's reaction would be more subdued without the traditional animation.

Jintor

I've finished up the 3rd dungeon and p5 has definitely smoothed out a lot of the mechanical stupidity of past persona games. There's really only one that remains that I have despised since forever which is having to have the right persona on you when talking to confidants. Why is that shit not just looking at my compendium?

Don't make me run to the velvet room -> pay to pull out the lowest level of ___ arcana -> run back to the confidant.

Instead, look at how many of arcana ___ I have registered and give me a bonus based on that. That way, if I like a particular confidant, I'm incentivized to fuse more persona of that type which will in turn be powerful because I'm high level with that type. They fuel into each other in a fun way. Simple.

edit: also I kind of miss shuffle time over the negotiation stuff.

that's... a great idea.

Nimby

Banned
If they would have just went with all in-engine cutscenes, it would have made a female protag a much easier effort to achieve.

I would have been down for it.

Hmm couldn't find an answer easily online, what do the flowerpedia and cinema treasure books do? I assume you get more stat boosts from the cinema one, it is the same with the flower book? I already get the 3 musical notes when taking care of my plant though

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sun rank 7 scene

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that in front of your secretary"

Boy I'm boutta jump over this bar and smack you

So how do the SP patches work? If I have one equiped can I just afk in a safe room and it'll charge on its own? Thinking of hoarding my money and buying one if it can help me grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom