• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea how people are replaying this back to back. Just finished palace 3,~30hours in, there is no freaking way I'm replaying this for like 3 years.

I finished the game in November. Read some people in the import OT saying it was possible to max all social links in a regular playthrough. Got curious so I'm trying to do the same. Besides there are some parts that I didn't even attempt to read because, seriously how could I possibly understand ancient myths in Japanese? Or subjects related to psychology. I understood almost everything but I still wanted to play the English version.

LiK

10/24

I just learned I can
avoid being hit by the chalk!
in class. That was random cuz I hit the button at the right time. Lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah... unfortunately he's still a doofus

no wonder everyone bullies him
Harsh, man.

10/24

I just learned I can
avoid being hit by the chalk!
in class. That was random cuz I hit the button at the right time. Lol
I loved this.
He dodges it and everyone is like "is he a ninja!?" I think it's related to proficiency, though.

Astarte

I think I messed up

I forgot to let Makoto learn a skill and when I went to church to try and confess to get her to learn that skill it's not in the list of options.

God dammit

Xilium

I kinda need to just get this off my chest (I'm in September for what it's worth).

If I could use one word to describe this game's characters and narrative, it would be juvenile. I'm fairly used to this with other JRPGs and anime I play/watch but P5 seems to take it to another level. It honestly feels like a story written by a 12yo for 12yo's, which is probably too harsh. Basically, the whole teens vs. adults theme that runs through the game really isn't hitting when the teens in question are so naive and see the world purely in black and white.

I feel like the morality of their vigilantism is an interesting topic of discussion but whenever you as the MC or some other character questions their actions, it gets shot down immediately since you're the good guys, end of discussion. The game treats the phantom thieves as incorruptible despite the fact that fame and fortune are very clearly things they care about and some of them even have personal motivations.

Also, the people you're going after, both in palaces and mementos, are kinda just all over the board and with the palace targets specifically, they seem to always have to add in one final twist to make them laughably evil. The game also really requires you to buy into the narrative that virtually all the adults in this world are evil/corrupt/spineless/inept/ect. because thus far, these are all problems that could have easily been dealt with by the police or school faculty. On that note, the phantom thieves are EXTREMELY bad at keeping a low profile making the fact that their identities haven't become common knowledge at this point pretty ridiculous.

I'm probably being too hard on the game but the fact that it has a real word setting and is dealing with contemporary problems really make it's child-like approach to everything stand out. I'm really hoping things start to change from where I'm at. It seems like it could go in an interesting direction but I feel like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. I'll definitely finish the game as the overall heist theme is interesting and I'm so far in but the characters and story are just not hitting for me like they did in P4.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I kinda need to just get this off my chest (I'm in September for what it's worth).

If I could use one word to describe this game's characters and narrative, it would be juvenile. I'm fairly used to this with other JRPGs and anime I play/watch but P5 seems to take it to another level. It honestly feels like a story written by a 12yo for 12yo's, which is probably too harsh. Basically, the whole teens vs. adults theme that runs through the game really isn't hitting when the teens in question are so naive and see the world purely in black and white.

I feel like the morality of their vigilantism is an interesting topic of discussion but whenever you as the MC or some other character questions their actions, it gets shot down immediately since you're the good guys, end of discussion. The game treats the phantom thieves as incorruptible despite the fact that fame and fortune are very clearly things they care about and some of them even have personal motivations.

Also, the people you're going after, both in palaces and mementos, are kinda just all over the board and with the palace targets specifically, they seem to always have to add in one final twist to make them laughably evil. The game also really requires you to buy into the narrative that virtually all the adults in this world are evil/corrupt/spineless/inept/ect. because thus far, these are all problems that could have easily been dealt with by the police or school faculty. On that note, the phantom thieves are EXTREMELY bad at keeping a low profile making the fact that their identities haven't become common knowledge at this point pretty ridiculous.

I'm probably being too hard on the game but the fact that it has a real word setting and is dealing with contemporary problems really make it's child-like approach to everything stand out. I'm really hoping things start to change from where I'm at. It seems like it could go in an interesting direction but I feel like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. I'll definitely finish the game as the overall heist theme is interesting and I'm so far in but the characters and story are just not hitting for me like they did in P4.
I've brought this up a lot in this thread already, but the problem is really with the framing of the conflict as "kids vs. adults" when the actual writing is about something else entirely, which is the danger of letting desire twist you into a terrible person and the consequences it has on society. The moral ambiguity of the Thieves is never in question, they realize what they're doing isn't 100% virtuous and embrace it anyway (which fits with the whole outcast theme the group has going on). It is a bit juvenile at times, but not in any way I think is unrealistic for high schoolers to act, and their pride and nonchalance frequently has real consequences within the narrative.

It's not really about "shitty adults" at all, it's a much broader commentary on the human psyche and the power people hold over society. I'm guessing they chose to frame it that way for marketing purposes (shonen sells), or they really didn't realize how they wrote another theme into the story entirely.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 3 onward spoilers

So is
Goro
supposed to be an actual
detective
or just an
actor
?

mike6467

I've gotta say, the in game cloud saving has come in super handy. I've basically been playing on the PS4 in my room and the one in my family room (my roommate is really getting into it. So I've been holding off when it looks like a major plot point is coming so she can see it).

I know the PS4 has the upload/download capability, but this makes it so easy to do. No closing the game, no need to go into the home screen, you just use a different save slot. Does anyone know if the saves transfer between the PS3 and PS4 versions?

I just have to be careful to keep local saves as well (which isn't an issue since I've filled every available save slot on both consoles heh.

I'd really like to see more games do it. It's one of those QoL things I didn't realize I would care about until I started using it.

Frimaire

know things

how do i reload ammo? gotta leave the dungeon?
I know this at least, You gotta leave the dungeon, or use
The ammo refill thief's tool you learn from a later Morgana rank up.

Hifumi
#1 in exams

Uggghh, but Hifumi's annoying, she never seems to wanna rank up...

Hmm, I want to fuse Anubis, I am at the required level and have judgement confidant at 3...yet I am not getting an Arcana Burst bonus? What's up with that? I want my free XP dammit.
You actually haven't talked to
Sae
yet.
It makes sense story-wise, it's just a little weird mechanically....

Zyrox

Hmm, I want to fuse Anubis, I am at the required level and have judgement confidant at 3...yet I am not getting an Arcana Burst bonus? What's up with that? I want my free XP dammit.

Edit: Igor mentioned something of not having access to the full potential of this confidant...thisisbullshit.gif but oh well, I'll fuse him anyway. No weaknesses and immunuity to instakill nonsense is nice.

[May]
Just got the
Moon
arcana. Can Mementos request stack? I mean, if you got multiple requests, can you finish them in one run?

But it seems that arcana next skill is
EXP increase
? Should I prioritize it before next dungeon?

it's blocked until august, don't bother throwing in time until then

Hmm, is this "block" an actual block or a stat requirement?
If it's actual block, how do you know that a confidant progress is blocked?

LotusHD

Banned

I've​ had similar thoughts (though not phrased as harshly) literally today lol, though I'm not as far as you admittedly. On one hand maybe that's sort of the point since they're in high school, but ehh...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I beat the 2nd palace. I seem to have broken the game pretty early though. Grinded like a mad man to make enough money to get the 100,000 yen SP 3 Acessory before going in to get the treasure. Then I bought two more afterwards for my party members with plenty of money left over.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just got to the sixth Palace.
Pretty sure I know what the twist regarding the interrogation is going to be now... not sure why I didn't figure that out earlier.

Astarte

okay so for real is there a way to learn skills that you chose not to learn in the first place for party members? the church doesn't do it

SolVanderlyn

vpXdj85rb0t3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom