• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, question about the Fortune confidant -
How do I activate the skills that increase social stat growth and the one that deepens confidant bonds? Luck Reading and Affinity Reading, I believe they're called.

Managed against the mid boss. Here's what I had to do:

1) open the battle by giving Ann a magic reflect item because she was the party member with a weakness being exploited. Most of the fight she just guarded.

2) Confuse the heaviest hitter. I really am trained to status effects being useless

3) Rely on a handy follow up by Morgana.

DJChuy

Dungeon crawling is so much better this time around. I found P3's and 4's dungeon crawling to be quite dull, but P5's alright. It's no Nocturne, but it's nice and has a bit of variety.

I hate how many days the game takes away from you at certain times. Got a late rental fee because of it.

As for the MC's death = game over, I also never understood it. It makes sense in the mainline SMT games because the demons were under your control. Without you, they're free to do whatever they want. My memory's fuzzy, but I think Digital Devil Saga didn't have that mechanic as well.

So I accidentally fused
Arsene with another demon. He said something about always being at my side or something like that. Did I fuck up something?
I would rather not miss out on something because of that error.

I resummoned him just in case but I'm not sure if that is the same thing.

So I accidentally fused
Arsene with another demon. He said something about always being at my side or something like that. Did I fuck up something?

That was no accident. The tutorial forces you to do that.
Also don't worry. This is how Persona and SMT work. Don't get attached to any Demon, you have to keep fusing them

I kinda need to just get this off my chest (I'm in September for what it's worth).

If I could use one word to describe this game's characters and narrative, it would be juvenile. I'm fairly used to this with other JRPGs and anime I play/watch but P5 seems to take it to another level. It honestly feels like a story written by a 12yo for 12yo's, which is probably too harsh. Basically, the whole teens vs. adults theme that runs through the game really isn't hitting when the teens in question are so naive and see the world purely in black and white.

I feel like the morality of their vigilantism is an interesting topic of discussion but whenever you as the MC or some other character questions their actions, it gets shot down immediately since you're the good guys, end of discussion. The game treats the phantom thieves as incorruptible despite the fact that fame and fortune are very clearly things they care about and some of them even have personal motivations.

Also, the people you're going after, both in palaces and mementos, are kinda just all over the board and with the palace targets specifically, they seem to always have to add in one final twist to make them laughably evil. The game also really requires you to buy into the narrative that virtually all the adults in this world are evil/corrupt/spineless/inept/ect. because thus far, these are all problems that could have easily been dealt with by the police or school faculty. On that note, the phantom thieves are EXTREMELY bad at keeping a low profile making the fact that their identities haven't become common knowledge at this point pretty ridiculous.

I'm probably being too hard on the game but the fact that it has a real word setting and is dealing with contemporary problems really make it's child-like approach to everything stand out. I'm really hoping things start to change from where I'm at. It seems like it could go in an interesting direction but I feel like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. I'll definitely finish the game as the overall heist theme is interesting and I'm so far in but the characters and story are just not hitting for me like they did in P4.

Yeah... :/

As much as I'm loving this game (80+ hours in) and as much as it really feels like an improvement on P4G in nearly every way, there are flaws like that which seem to bother me way more than in P4G. Like... the areas where the game didn't grow and evolve stand out way more than before and ultimately detract something precious from the experience.

Alucrid

Banned
So I accidentally fused

no

As for the MC's death = game over, I also never understood it. It makes sense in the mainline SMT games because the demons were under your control. Without you, they're free to do whatever they want. My memory's fuzzy, but I think Digital Devil Saga didn't have that mechanic as well.

Yeah, it didn't. The PS1 Personas didn't either.

Jintor

uh so dungeon 5 sucks ass

this puzzle design is asinine. a million unskippable animations as you flip switches on and off or move between rooms

Strimei

P3 has a good reason for it but the others...not really, I suppose.

ramyeon

Managed against the mid boss. Here's what I had to do:

1) open the battle by giving Ann a magic reflect item because she was the party member with a weakness being exploited. Most of the fight she just guarded.

2) Confuse the heaviest hitter. I really am trained to status effects being useless

3) Rely on a handy follow up by Morgana.
That boss was crazy easy with status effects. Confuse all 3 and you're done.

Guess Who

Banned
I kinda need to just get this off my chest (I'm in September for what it's worth).

If I could use one word to describe this game's characters and narrative, it would be juvenile. I'm fairly used to this with other JRPGs and anime I play/watch but P5 seems to take it to another level. It honestly feels like a story written by a 12yo for 12yo's, which is probably too harsh. Basically, the whole teens vs. adults theme that runs through the game really isn't hitting when the teens in question are so naive and see the world purely in black and white.

I feel like the morality of their vigilantism is an interesting topic of discussion but whenever you as the MC or some other character questions their actions, it gets shot down immediately since you're the good guys, end of discussion. The game treats the phantom thieves as incorruptible despite the fact that fame and fortune are very clearly things they care about and some of them even have personal motivations.

This particular criticism is (vague spoilers for post September)
actually going to play into a major story point very shortly after where you're at.

The game also really requires you to buy into the narrative that virtually all the adults in this world are evil/corrupt/spineless/inept/ect. because thus far, these are all problems that could have easily been dealt with by the police or school faculty.

The entire premise of the game is that the people in power in society are, more often than not, self-interested in keeping and furthering that power even at the cost of others, which... I mean, obviously people have different worldviews, but it's one I don't have much trouble buying into at all personally. From what I've heard and read from people who've lived in Japan and played P5, several of the villains and story arcs are directly inspired by actual events in the news.

The (first dungeon spoilers)
Kamoshida
stuff pretty vividly reminded me of stuff that happened in my own childhood even in America - I went to a school district that's more football team than school, and
the coaches would absolutely be physically violent with the athletes. Hell, kids would laugh about it. Parents didn't give a fuck. Faculty knew and didn't care.
This was a decade ago and I'm still pretty sure it happens there today.

Vengal

I wasn't feeling any of the free school costumes until I messed around with the lounge around clothes in palace 4. Theres something about wearing sweat pants and no shoes in that environment that hits my funny Bone. Like he just rolled out of bed and was like fine I'm coming.

I would almost, almost understand MC death = Game Over as a byproduct of the framing device if they didn't constantly break the rules of their framing for the sake of dramatic irony.

Friggin' every other narrative beat is a conversation Joker was never present for and has no way of knowing occurred.

So why can't I see what happened during the 12 seconds before Mona revived Joker?

I love it when I'm dungeon crawling, get into a battle, and they immediately lucky punch crit my MC.

ya it rox

uh so dungeon 5 sucks ass

this puzzle design is asinine. a million unskippable animations as you flip switches on and off or move between rooms

Yeah, man. I was really wondering why so many people seemed to have a problem with it but I understood within 15 minutes. I've been in here over an hour and a half (if you include the setback from my only non-boss fight cheap death in 80 hours) and, I just checked, it looks like I have eight floors to go.

I finished the game! Final playtime was at 77 hours.

HA! Oh Jesus. I'm at 85:02 and just at the beginning of the 5th Palace.

Even if you account for an entire eight hours of idle time (this doesn't have a traditional pause function, after all), that still has me at exactly your hour count with
supposedly two dungeons, plenty more Mementos, and nearly three months
to go.

What am I doing?

Jintor

i do think the story is getting more interesting but it needs to be... i dunno, distorted (hah) for it to work properly.

like, it's going to some interesting places, but the buildup to get there is really weird.

A.J.

Banned
If anyone is having trouble with your character dying, I recommend using Izanagi from the dlc. It has null phys which helps a lot.

Finally got to start the prep phase for the first boss

Now I can do my own thing and I LOVE it. Its finally really clicked for me.

Dungeon crawling my way to the boss and its meaty and takes a long time. But I enjoy it because I can always dip back into school life and explore the amazing town

I HATE THE STEALTH. I am constantly pressing the wrong thing and hopping around like a dummy. Just have to get used to it though, Im just screwing up and the jumping is so sudden

I am really trying to speed thru to the first boss, and then buy the game myself which means Ill have to start all over again.

Just want to get a taste of the second chapter to ensure that Ill love it enough to buy it at a price drop

This should be a nice game to pop in every now and then until i finish it, but Im still scared of getting JRPG fatigue. Right now everything is so new and interesting but Im wondering how that feels 80 hours in

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dude the enemies have a giant X over their head when you can ambush them, how are you pressing the wrong thing? :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
10 days is enough for Palace 6 right?

Usually I went in as fast as possible but this time I decided to raise few Confidants first for bonus fusion experience.

Ah well, here we go.

NIIICE music, definitely a major upgrade after the wtf Palace 5 music.

For people who finished the game:

Whats the absolute final point of no return date? I'm at the 6th palace and I'm cutting it close with a few social links left to max...

Does anybody use guns for anything other than exploiting a weakness?

When you can start making them more powerful or get new abilities with them from Confidants, yes, but to be honest it happens way too late to make them really useful.

I'm using them more often to normal attack around weaknesses and shit but honestly it's too little too late.

10 days is enough for Palace 6 right?

Usually I went in as fast as possible but this time I decided to raise few Confidants first for bonus fusion experience.

Ah well, here we go.

NIIICE music, definitely a major upgrade after the wtf Palace 5 music.

Nice visual upgrade too.

Looking at you Sae

Toki767

Made it to October. Rank 5 Knowledge, Charm, and Proficiency. Rank 4 Guts and Kindness.

Hopefully I'll be able to max them out by the end.

Theswweet

HA! Oh Jesus. I'm at 85:02 and just at the beginning of the 5th Palace.

Even if you account for an entire eight hours of idle time (this doesn't have a traditional pause function, after all), that still has me at exactly your hour count with
supposedly two dungeons, plenty more Mementos, and nearly three months
to go.

What am I doing?

If you're JUST starting the 5th dungeon, you're a little more than halfway done. If it makes you feel any better, for whatever reason I seem to burn through RPGs really quickly. It's not that I try to - I take my time - but it happens. It's weird.

So when you max a link and
romance someone (I romanced Kawakami). Is there a mechanical purpose to going on dates with them? I've gone on a few but I haven't seen anything indicating that this is effecting something else in the game.

When you can start making them more powerful or get new abilities with them from Confidants, yes, but to be honest it happens way too late to make them really useful.

I'm using them more often to normal attack around weaknesses and shit but honestly it's too little too late.

That's how I feel about a lot of the confidant and late game bonuses. So many of them come after the point where they'd be useful.

>tfw You spend 8 rounds trying to identify the weakness of an enemy and it has no weaknesses

I never saw it coooomiiiiiing~

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom