• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I really enjoy Mementos more than Tartarus/whatever simply because the levels are so short that it feels like you can actually progress at a blistering pace.

I'd love for some advice in regard to spending the 60,000 yen I currently have. I'm about to embark on the second dungeon in earnest (A certain character just joined me). Should I be prioritizing weapons or armor?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Man, I really enjoy Mementos more than Tartarus/whatever simply because the levels are so short that it feels like you can actually progress at a blistering pace.
Same. Tartarus had better music, though. Mementos has the same, unchanging, meandering repetitive beats for every. Single. Floor.

So any other arcana with the "free" ways to boost their progress aside from the usual bring the right persona and answer correctly?

For Hierophant I think all I need is to just
brew coffee
? Not sure about the rest. I can't give gifts because the ranks are too low.

JJD

So if I get a persona but release it or delete it before registering it will it be added to my compendium?

I got my stock full of new ones and I don't know which one to delete.

-Horizon-

Starting the run up into the start of the 3rd palace.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone
would overhear ryuji yelling about how they're the phantom thieves lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Futaba is such an awesome addition to the team.

Makes the group dynamics even better.

So if I get a persona but release it or delete it before registering it will it be added to my compendium?

I got my stock full of new ones and I don't know which one to delete.

Any persona acquired gets automatically added to the compendium for purchasing later. Registering I believe overwrites the default version of that Persona with the level and skills you currently have for when you purchase it later. Feel free to delete and fuse away.

Nose Master

Is there any way to (mementos / slink mechanic)
turn off the auto-absorb personas thing in Mementos? It's annoying not being able to ambush dudes and getting fuck all from it because you're full on personas.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Futaba is such an awesome addition to the team.

Makes the group dynamic even better.
I thought I would hate her. I didn't end up disliking anyone, really, which was surprising.

-Horizon-

What's the best way to raise Guts?
I'd like to know this too. I've just been going to the diner on rainy days and ordering coffee. But that is so slow.

There are two links I can't even unlock because they require like level 3 or 4 guts.

Also, is there some easier way to see how many points it takes to level a social stat up?

I kinda need to just get this off my chest (I'm in September for what it's worth).

If I could use one word to describe this game's characters and narrative, it would be juvenile. I'm fairly used to this with other JRPGs and anime I play/watch but P5 seems to take it to another level. It honestly feels like a story written by a 12yo for 12yo's, which is probably too harsh. Basically, the whole teens vs. adults theme that runs through the game really isn't hitting when the teens in question are so naive and see the world purely in black and white.

I feel like the morality of their vigilantism is an interesting topic of discussion but whenever you as the MC or some other character questions their actions, it gets shot down immediately since you're the good guys, end of discussion. The game treats the phantom thieves as incorruptible despite the fact that fame and fortune are very clearly things they care about and some of them even have personal motivations.

Also, the people you're going after, both in palaces and mementos, are kinda just all over the board and with the palace targets specifically, they seem to always have to add in one final twist to make them laughably evil. The game also really requires you to buy into the narrative that virtually all the adults in this world are evil/corrupt/spineless/inept/ect. because thus far, these are all problems that could have easily been dealt with by the police or school faculty. On that note, the phantom thieves are EXTREMELY bad at keeping a low profile making the fact that their identities haven't become common knowledge at this point pretty ridiculous.

I'm probably being too hard on the game but the fact that it has a real word setting and is dealing with contemporary problems really make it's child-like approach to everything stand out. I'm really hoping things start to change from where I'm at. It seems like it could go in an interesting direction but I feel like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. I'll definitely finish the game as the overall heist theme is interesting and I'm so far in but the characters and story are just not hitting for me like they did in P4.
What part of it was inaccurate for you? The team building and Phantom Thieves trying to attain notoriety was correctly juvenile as you say, but I found most of the antagonists pretty accurate to real life. The police and the faculty in the school are corrupt. That's feels pretty real to me especially the way

[Spoilers for 1st Palace]
Kamoshida was using his postion as an Olympic level Volleyball coach to basically abuse all the students and sexally abuse the girls in the school. Didn't feel unrealistic at all, especially when we have reports of schools basically covering up rape scandals for football coaches in the United States.
We have them on Off-Topic on here every so often and people state that the faculty had to been in on it. It was basically 'Take it like a champ so you can get into a good University' for all the abused students which was real to me too.

I don't think all the adults in this game are shitty. The kids in the game have adults who are supposed to be support pillars in their lives but they turn out to be assholes. That, in turn, makes them resentful. But there are mentions and SLs with adults in the game itself that show that they care about you, but are dealing with other issues in society. Some examples including some team member's parents.

I also feel like the morality of the situation is constantly challanged.

[1st Palace Spoilers]
In fact, Ryuji and MC specifically state they don't want to murder Kamoshida, even by accident, and only do so when something truly awful happens. And they are challenged by Goro themselves about this justice of theirs. And yeah, of course Notoriety is a part of it, they want to become superheros, or see themselves as one.

I feel like you aren't giving enough credit to how accuurate some of this is to real life events. And how ambigious some of the morality plays out to be.

Also felt that P4 was way more juvenile, though I love that game.

At the end of the Second Palace, although I haven't cleared it yet.

I'm loving the game so much, although I hate how Morgana constantly sends me to sleep. Aside from that, though, pretty much everything is improved. It remains to be seen if this will actually surpass Persona 4 for me, but it seems like it just might.

I'm enjoying playing on Merciless, too. Combat can get very tense, and dungeon crawling is honestly scary at times. Any encounter could wipe your party if you aren't careful.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I kinda need to just get this off my chest (I'm in September for what it's worth).

If I could use one word to describe this game's characters and narrative, it would be juvenile. I'm fairly used to this with other JRPGs and anime I play/watch but P5 seems to take it to another level. It honestly feels like a story written by a 12yo for 12yo's, which is probably too harsh. Basically, the whole teens vs. adults theme that runs through the game really isn't hitting when the teens in question are so naive and see the world purely in black and white.

I feel like the morality of their vigilantism is an interesting topic of discussion but whenever you as the MC or some other character questions their actions, it gets shot down immediately since you're the good guys, end of discussion. The game treats the phantom thieves as incorruptible despite the fact that fame and fortune are very clearly things they care about and some of them even have personal motivations.

Also, the people you're going after, both in palaces and mementos, are kinda just all over the board and with the palace targets specifically, they seem to always have to add in one final twist to make them laughably evil. The game also really requires you to buy into the narrative that virtually all the adults in this world are evil/corrupt/spineless/inept/ect. because thus far, these are all problems that could have easily been dealt with by the police or school faculty. On that note, the phantom thieves are EXTREMELY bad at keeping a low profile making the fact that their identities haven't become common knowledge at this point pretty ridiculous.

I'm probably being too hard on the game but the fact that it has a real word setting and is dealing with contemporary problems really make it's child-like approach to everything stand out. I'm really hoping things start to change from where I'm at. It seems like it could go in an interesting direction but I feel like I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. I'll definitely finish the game as the overall heist theme is interesting and I'm so far in but the characters and story are just not hitting for me like they did in P4.

its a silly anime videogame about people going to another dimension and fighting demons. It's one step up from One Piece (hell the story structure IS One Piece, each arc deals with a personal drama involving a future team mate). And you say you are used to jrpgs and anime, how is this any different or more juvenile?

Also, saying "these problems could be solved by school faculty or police" is the type of thing you could say about any story or movie ever, and the story wouldnt exist, or would last 5 minutes. It's the "just dont go in the house" argument against horror movies.

I mean it's not even true from the 3 cases I've seen. First, the
school was clearly covering it up
, thats the whole point. Second,
respected artist with no reason to be suspected except for some past pupils that were afraid to come forward
, and third a
mob boss that the game clearly states that the cops are having a hard time building a case against

Reszo

9/15
So I was trying to like Morgana buuut

Why is he throwing a hissy fit? Why is the group apologizing to him? He started it...

Chorazin

Please, in P5 2nd edition or P6 or whatever comes next....

ALLOW MY FUCKING PARTY TO USE REVIVE ON THE MC

It's so fucking aggrivating to lose a bunch of time and progress to a freak crit one shot. I HAVE A POCKET FULL OF THE DAMN THINGS!!!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Please, in P5 2nd edition or P6 or whatever comes next....

ALLOW MY FUCKING PARTY TO USE REVIVE ON THE MC

It's so fucking aggrivating to lose a bunch of time and progress to a freak crit one shot. I HAVE A POCKET FULL OF THE DAMN THINGS!!!

the mc dies=game over has been a thing since forever in SMT games, doubt it'll ever change. It makes sense, too. The MC is the most powerful character in these games since he is the one that has access to any skill in the game and is the only one that can switch around weaknesses/strengths unlike the other characters.

Xilium

I've brought this up a lot in this thread already, but the problem is really with the framing of the conflict as "kids vs. adults" when the actual writing is about something else entirely, which is the danger of letting desire twist you into a terrible person and the consequences it has on society. The moral ambiguity of the Thieves is never in question, they realize what they're doing isn't 100% virtuous and embrace it anyway (which fits with the whole outcast theme the group has going on). It is a bit juvenile at times, but not in any way I think is unrealistic for high schoolers to act, and their pride and nonchalance frequently has real consequences within the narrative.

It's not really about "shitty adults" at all, it's a much broader commentary on the human psyche and the power people hold over society. I'm guessing they chose to frame it that way for marketing purposes (shonen sells), or they really didn't realize how they wrote another theme into the story entirely.
The teens/kids vs. adults theme is a very common trope in Japanese media, so while I see where you're coming from with the framing argument, I honestly think you're giving the developers too much credit.

As for the morality, it's brought up during and after the first palace where they question their actions and whether or not their "justice" is right. But after that point (up to where I'm at in the game), it's never brought into question. You as the MC can choose dialog options that question these things but you immediately get chewed out for doing so. You even get chewed out for not fully embracing the fame you're receiving.
The game straight up treats Akechi as a villain for having the audacity to explain the issue with vigilantism.

Honestly, my issues with the morality stems from wanting more grey morality in video games in general. That said, the phantom thieves really do just come off as kids playing super-heroes.

Tinfoilhatsron said:
What part of it was inaccurate for you? The team building and Phantom Thieves trying to attain notoriety was correctly juvenile as you say, but I found most of the antagonists pretty accurate to real life. The police and the faculty in the school are corrupt. That's feels pretty real to me especially the way

[Spoilers for 1st Palace]
Kamoshida was using his postion as an Olympic level Volleyball coach to basically abuse all the students and sexally abuse the girls in the school. Didn't feel unrealistic at all, especially when we have reports of schools basically covering up rape scandals for football coaches in the United States.
We have them on Off-Topic on here every so often and people state that the faculty had to been in on it. It was basically 'Take it like a champ so you can get into a good University' for all the abused students which was real to me too.

I really don't think this is a very common occurrence and is typically limited to a couple of students, whereas in the game it's the entirety of the boys and girls volley ball teams. The game also states that the parents were in on it. Between all the people on the sports team, their parents, and all the school faculty, that's a lot of people keeping a secret for the sole purpose of winning volley ball games. The fact that there wasn't a hint of police involvement is a stretch.

Tinfoilhatsron said:
I don't think all the adults in this game are shitty. The kids in the game have adults who are supposed to be support pillars in their lives but they turn out to be assholes. That,in turn, makes them resentful. But there are mentions and SLs with adults in the game itself that show that they care about you, but are dealing with other issues in society. Some examples including some team member's parents.

I also feel like the morality of the situation is constantly challanged.

[1st Palace Spoilers]
In fact, Ryuji and MC specifically state they don't want to murder Kamoshida, even by accident, and only do so when something truly awful happens. And they are challenged by Goro themselves about this justice of theirs. And yeah, of course Notoriety is a part of it, they want to become superheros, or see themselves as one.

I feel like you aren't giving enough credit to how accuurate some of this is to real life events. And how ambigious some of the morality plays out to be.

Also felt that P4 was way more juvenile, though I love that game.

I said "virtually" all the adults and I don't feel that was an exaggeration. Again, most of the problems I've been dealing with thus far could have easily been dealt with if some sort of authority figure got involved. Outside of a few cops chillin out on street corners, the police are basically absent in this game and any other adult that isn't a confidant or villain seems perfectly OK with taking no action to solve any problem around them.

I'm not saying the events in this game are impossible but they are highly improbable with the way they are presented. The world and situations that the characters are being put in very much come off as a world seen through the eyes of a rebellious teen (which to be fair, is basically the theme of the game).

Chorazin

the mc dies=game over has been a thing since forever in SMT games, doubt it'll ever change. It makes sense, too. The MC is the most powerful character in these games since he is the one that has access to any skill in the game and is the only one that can switch around weaknesses/strengths unlike the other characters.

I know it is, and this isn't my first SMT rodeo, but it's SO DAMN FRUSTRATING to have to redo everything you've done since the last save.

Roussow

Same. Tartarus had better music, though. Mementos has the same, unchanging, meandering repetitive beats for every. Single. Floor.
Mementos is straight up podcast time, Palace's have way to much going on to drop the audio out on, so I cherish my grind time.
Cool just lost 2 hours of progress in mementos because of
the reaper.
Still never seen that, how long does it actually take to turn up -- and what's the actual encounter like?

Also, question: What's up with treasure demons? I didn't fuck around in the fusing menu with one, and just started killing them outright because they drop hella cash. I mean if I really want cash I could abuse that confuse trick -- but this is easier and far less exploitative, although by killing them all I feel like I'm missing out of some benefits.

Frimaire

The most recent SMT games don't give a Game over when the MC dies, though...

Lynx_7

SMT IV and IV: Apocalypse got rid of that mechanic, actually. Though it does return in the latter's DLC difficulty.

Aaaand beaten.

Well, died for the first time in 80+ hours not to a boss in palace 5 and have to redo an hour of this boring ass
Guess Who.

To contribute to the current discussion: it should be noted I died because five enemies decided to target Joker on the first turn and he was the only one who went down. Sucks very much that any of the rest of my party can't use the over a dozen revival items I have in my inventory. >:|

zulux21

it would make sense if there weren't revival items that other people can use >.>

zulux21

Yeah, and that's actually a place where it would make more sense (since your party is a bunch of demons who probably wouldn't care much if you died, instead of your friends).

yeah I actually didn't mind the MC death being game over in the SMT games where your team is demons. heck i think devil summoner it outright was "your demons no longer bound to you devour you" for game over lol.

it bothers me in games with other party members that are your friends and have access to revival items though.

I'm surprised people found this game to be a cakewalk considering I'm getting owned in the third dungeon. Currently at what I presume is the mid boss with three tall demons.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm surprised people found this game to be a cakewalk considering I'm getting owned in the third dungeon. Currently at what I presume is the mid boss with three tall demons.

I've been playing on Hard and so far it's been challenging, but not bullshit-challenging. I feel like I've run into far less bosses (I'm in December) that have really risen to the level of BS that Sleeping Table or Natural Dancer were in P3. It still all just comes down to protecting your weaknesses and buffing/debuffing. The Palace 2 boss was definitely the hardest one I've fought so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom