• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theswweet

It's structurally very different and I don't think as long, but will still take some time.

I'd say it's still pretty long, if you're talking about
Shido's Palace.
So many hallways... not to mention the constant minibosses.

EDIT: Oh, you're talking about the FINAL Palace. Yeah, that's gonna take a while too, especially since you've got lots of story scenes breaking it up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
yep and now it's making me want to go back and play p3 fes again. god help me when the raidou costumes are out. at least there's no dds ones so i'm safe there.

Mightily tempted to buy Persona 4 and Raidou costumes too. But my mind just can't seem to accept myself committing to such a blatant rip-off :/ Well, maybe someday.

PALACE 6 SPOILERS

Man they really do make an effort to get you to use
Akechi
at the end after joining so late, don't they?

I was all "Nah, I'm good, my party is made up of good characters and has a decent spread of weaknesses" and then they give you a character with Light and Dark skills as well as Megido and it's like "Oh come ON"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nope. I don't bother spending money to buy new ones, because I don't care if it does literally zero damage. The only reason to ever pull it out is to knock someone on the ground.

There are gun skills but yeah :(

Dude the enemies have a giant X over their head when you can ambush them, how are you pressing the wrong thing? :p

Sometimes I want to get out and sometimes I try to get into tricky spots to try and get past an enemy. I guess it's just meant to be a stylistic approach and not so flexible in that regard

Er, how are some of you 80 hours in and at palace 5??

I am about 7 hours in and about to finish palace 1, and I mostly did it with 10/14 days remaining just because I want to speed run the first boss before giving the game back to my friend.

That means, palace 5 should take around 35-45 hours, yet 80 hours to palace 5??

Does the game's pacing just beat to its own drum?

FluxWaveZ

I am about 7 hours in and about to finish palace 1, and I mostly did it with 10/14 days remaining just because I want to speed run the first boss before giving the game back to my friend.

There's 1 person who's commented they're 80 hours in at Palace 5. That's unusual, but do note that most people who have been playing the game for the first time in this thread generally have put in 90+ hours to finish it. You can't really multiply your time so far in Chapter 1 like that.

The game progressively becomes more open with things to do, story events happen more and more, twists and turns, side missions, dungeons become more elaborate and demanding, etc.

Toki767

Sometimes I want to get out and sometimes I try to get into tricky spots to try and get past an enemy. I guess it's just meant to be a stylistic approach and not so flexible in that regard

I'm like 50 hours in and I'm just about to enter the 5th Palace. I was up to
hours after clearing the 3rd Palace.

There's kind of a long stretch between the 3rd and 4th Palace.

I don't know how to feel about the 1 more system. It seems I can exploit a weakness and just knock everyone out for an interrogation. Does it get more complicated than that?

I also keep running out of SP. Are the SP items rare? I only have one that restores full SP.

I don't mind going back to the real world for rest, just curious if the game lets you buy a ton of SP items so you can stock up and raid a dungeon.

Also, this game has made me really want to play P4 since the story sounds like the absolute best thing ever. I love a good murder mystery. Id probably hate the random dungeons, as I appreciate this game for hand designed ones.

Toki767

I don't know how to feel about the 1 more system. It seems I can exploit a weakness and just knock everyone out for an interrogation. Does it get more complicated than that?

I also keep running out of SP. Are the SP items rare? I only have one that restores full SP.

I don't mind going back to the real world for rest, just curious if the game lets you buy a ton of SP items so you can stock up and raid a dungeon.

Also, this game has made me really want to play P4 since the story sounds like the absolute best thing ever. I love a good murder mystery. Id probably hate the random dungeons, as I appreciate this game for hand designed ones.

The 1 more system works both ways. So your enemy could also chain together critical hits.

SP items are definitely a bit hard to come by. Easiest source of them is to go to the vending machine next to the bath house and school courtyard and buy 2 of each every week. So by the time you hit a Palace you'll probably have a lot of them.

Later on you can buy an accessory that replenishes SP each turn in battle.

Upgrading a certain confidant give them like a 50% crit rate, so I use them for fast knock downs.

Oh damn! Now THAT would change things.

If you're JUST starting the 5th dungeon, you're a little more than halfway done. If it makes you feel any better, for whatever reason I seem to burn through RPGs really quickly. It's not that I try to - I take my time - but it happens. It's weird.

How can that be possible?? I've only got
2 (and a half) dungeons and less than three months
left. Would you say 2/3rds is more accurate or do you stand by just over half? If so, that's CRAZY.

There's 1 person who's commented they're 80 hours in at Palace 5. That's unusual, but do note that most people who have been playing the game for the first time in this thread generally have put in 90+ hours to finish it. You can't really multiply your time so far in Chapter 1 like that.

The game progressively becomes more open with things to do, story events happen more and more, twists and turns, side missions, dungeons become more elaborate and demanding, etc.

True, so the game opens up more and more eh? Because that sounds good enough to retain my interest over 90+ hours. I just fear that Ill get stuck in typical bloat in the middle.

Guess Who

Banned

Most "random" fights are like this. As you get further into the game, you'll encounter more enemies that won't have any weaknesses to exploit, and naturally bosses don't either.

SP items are relatively rare, but get more common as you go, and doing certain confidants will get you better ways to get SP items or get accessories/skills that let you regen SP. It's entirely possible to do most of the dungeons in one in-game day.

Jintor

jesus maintaining dps on boss 5 is rouuuuuuugh.

fun battle, but not having the opportunity for one char to
baton pass
is very very irritating, and I can't OTG opponents with an all-out either

Danj

Are there any good ways to raise Charm other than reading the specific Charm books (which I already did)? I got my knowledge, guts and proficiency to 4 (and completed the Big Bang Burger challenge.. jeez that thing is huge) but my Charm is still languishing on 2 and that's causing issues with one of my social links.

Dresden

Whoa, I didn't know Almighty Boost was a thing. My Rangda received it off a network fusion for some reason.

Are there any good ways to raise Charm other than reading the specific Charm books (which I already did)? I got my knowledge, guts and proficiency to 4 (and completed the Big Bang Burger challenge.. jeez that thing is huge) but my Charm is still languishing on 2 and that's causing issues with one of my social links.

Sun and Devil confidants both raise Charm.

Jintor

bathhouse on rainy days

CrazyDude

Mondays and Thursdays you get 3 charms at the bathhouse. Every other day it's 2.

Lusankya

Doing the Sun and Devil confidants. Combined they give you like +36 Charm points.

Lusankya

So you don't get anything at all for going on more dates?

That kind of sucks. I guess it's just if you want to see the scenes then.

There are some extra scenes and you can get presents and stuff. So I recommend doing it at the end of the game, when you most likely have most S.Links maxed and don't need the social parameters anymore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There's nothing as wacky as mysterious fox as a confidant in this game right? :p

To be fair, I'm reading and posting on GAF constantly with the game running, apart from all the other reasons I step away and let the clock advance (there is so no pause after all). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I have a solid 15 hours of idle time.

But remember this is a 100 hour game on average any way you swing it.

I think my pace the past couple dozen hours has slowed a lot because there are a couple confidants that can help you accomplish more in a day in their particular ways that require a small degree of activating, so every single day I'm seeing one confidant and going through an action before advancing my time (and there's a commute and loading screens associated with that), and then a majority evenings I'm calling on another character for another action that adds a short scene up top and then another before you go to bed.

But I've made a lot of progress in a short amount of in-game time thanks to those techniques and I imagine I won't require either as much in the future once I start feeling confident that I can complete ever confidant before the game wraps up.

bluethree

bought a lot of the dl stuff for the JP version, no regrets. Sure I'm a sucker but I can at least wreck shit to the Innocent Sin theme!

I'm over 70 hours in and almost complete with palace 6. I usually pause (by pressing PS button), when I wanted to idle. I think the playtime stopped by doing so.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'm at 76 hours and just got to 5 also. Damn, that's crazy if I'm only that far in.

Sixth palace boss spoilers:

Okay, literally what the fuck am I supposed to do with Roulette Time? I'm clearly supposed to figure out how she's cheating but I don't see a fucking thing. I've even tried taking screencaps of the bet screens and watched her body language to see if that somehow hints at anything, but none of it matters--I always lose no matter what, it's impossible to pick the "right" answer. So what am I supposed to do? I've tried attacking just in case this is some stupid "fuck your rules we'll fight even though we know the system is rigged" bullshit, but that's a no-go as well. All I can tell is that it's impossible to die, as the Penalty move can't kill you, but I have no SP and I'll probably lose all my money if I keep this up long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom