• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

The source that we're not getting it? Atlus/Deep Silver have already released the full DLC schedule, including themes, for the English release of the game, and that's one of the ones that is missing. There are a couple of other themes that are missing, too. Seeing as how they were exclusive to certain editions in Japan, and how Atlus hasn't said anything about us getting them, it's pretty much a given they won't be released in the West.

FluxWaveZ

Sixth palace boss spoilers:

Okay, literally what the fuck am I supposed to do with Roulette Time? I'm clearly supposed to figure out how she's cheating but I don't see a fucking thing. I've even tried taking screencaps of the bet screens and watched her body language to see if that somehow hints at anything, but none of it matters--I always lose no matter what, it's impossible to pick the "right" answer. So what am I supposed to do? I've tried attacking just in case this is some stupid "fuck your rules we'll fight even though we know the system is rigged" bullshit, but that's a no-go as well. All I can tell is that it's impossible to die, as the Penalty move can't kill you, but I have no SP and I'll probably lose all my money if I keep this up long enough.

Huh? What happened to the dialogue prompt that should give you the multiple choice answer? Have you tried selecting, "I've figured it out"?

It's pretty obvious when you look at what's happening.

Huh? What happened to the dialogue prompt that should give you the multiple choice answer? Have you tried selecting, "I've figured it out"?

It's pretty obvious when you look at what's happening.

Jesus goddamned christ.

I didn't think it would be THAT simple. And now all my SP and HP is gone for fucking nothing. Goddammit.

ramyeon

The source that we're not getting it? Atlus/Deep Silver have already released the full DLC schedule, including themes, for the English release of the game, and that's one of the ones that is missing. There are a couple of other themes that are missing, too. Seeing as how they were exclusive to certain editions in Japan, and how Atlus hasn't said anything about us getting them, it's pretty much a given they won't be released in the West.
Kind of strange, you'd think it would be easy profit.

daveo42

Banned
Palace 5:
Doesn't seem like that big of a place, but it's torn through mine and Haru's SP like no other. Even with the SP 3 accessories attached. I'll probably burn through all of my SP items to make it to the treasure room in a single go so I can maximize downtime outside of the dungeon.

Haru, btw, seems pretty awesome so far. Her dad tho...I'm sure alot of people could relate to what's going on and feeling exploited by higher ups in any company. It is so much worse in the food service industry. Dude does totally have an awesome outfit tho.

Really wish I had maxed Temperance before doing this...but too late.

lol, I have no idea what you were doing to bypass that. It's meant to be really simple.

I thought you had to be sure about the answer before you even thought to select it. It does say "I know exactly what's happening" or whatever, and I sure as hell didn't. Or maybe it's better to say I didn't know what kind of answer they wanted, clearly I could see the white flash when the roulette ball would move from one pocket to another. I thought they wanted something like "Sae has a secret button she's pressing with her foot" or some shit.

Well, there goes one Soma and one Bead Chain. That sucked.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
man, sojiro, you're a baller.
Add him to the list of "characters that should get a Persona but don't"

The List

Takeharu Kirijo
Dojima
Sae
Sojima

Jiraiza

Sometimes I want to get out and sometimes I try to get into tricky spots to try and get past an enemy. I guess it's just meant to be a stylistic approach and not so flexible in that regard

Er, how are some of you 80 hours in and at palace 5??

I am about 7 hours in and about to finish palace 1, and I mostly did it with 10/14 days remaining just because I want to speed run the first boss before giving the game back to my friend.

That means, palace 5 should take around 35-45 hours, yet 80 hours to palace 5??

Does the game's pacing just beat to its own drum?

63 hours here and I'm only halfway done with the 4th palace. Granted I've been spending a lot of time with the Gallows in the Velvet Room. I must make Arsene super strong!

Jintor

does every single slink have (hiero/temperence)
some asshat trying to extort someone in it

okay just two so far but still

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
63 hours here and I'm only halfway done with the 4th palace. Granted I've been spending a lot of time with the Gallows in the Velvet Room. I must make Arsene super strong!
Dude, Arsene kind of sucks.

let-it-go.jpg

Theswweet

I find it hilarious how folks in this thread were dogpiling on the person for saying that if it took him 7 hours for the first palace he'd expect to be at 35-45 hours for the 5th Palace, when that's basically exactly what happened with me.

Finally started playing this. So for the most part, P5 has been great, but some of the writing just keeps preventing me from getting invested in the games world.

EARLY GAME SPOILERS

Essentially, it feels like the game wants to address serious topics of corruption, apathy and good people letting evil happen, but does it in the most childishly over the top and unnuanced way possible. The idea of a politician somehow turning his attempt to rape someone into the criminal conviction of a child would be more at home in a banana republic, and not a state like Japan, with reasonably functional separation of powers.

And then we have Kamoshida and his volleyball abuse. Abuse obviously happens, and having come from a school famous for its sporting teams, I can understand the pressure to succeed and the temptation to act inappropriately. But to try present a situation where systemic and widespread abuse was plainly occurring and to argue that parents somehow cared more about the fucking school volleyball team than their own children's welfare is frankly insane!

The game also gestures to a lot of professions and their duties. Just in the early game, we see glimpses of the professional obligations of teachers, police, lawyers and doctors. But again, the game writes them with all the knowledge and understanding of a child. Teachers somehow are completely frozen when a student attempts suicide despite having been trained to handle such situations to a fucking back alley doctor somehow having the resources to test, produce and market drugs, a process that costs pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars and decades of research.
Like I don't want to sound too down on the game. I still really like it, but it feels like the game keeps trying to pretend its understanding of the world is profound when it's shallow and naive. I'm sure the writing is on par with P3 and P4, and I liked those games, but I was a dumb teenager back then. I'm not anymore

Lusankya

Idk but the story/characters haven't gripped me yet. I'm super early on though. (2nd palace)

I mean that it feels slower to you than P4.
P4 is one of the slowest (but still best) games I ever played.

Anyways, if you're concerned about the overall plot, this will pick up the pace with palace 4&5. Although the end of palace 2 and some earlier cutscenes will give you plenty of hints what to expect..

This is actually quite similar to Persona 4. The first dungeons/palaces are dealing more with the personal problems of the cast and only then will they also advance the main plot.

Pachinko

I'm close to 22 hours of playtime and it's May 24th in game for me
I had to waste like 3 days to needlessly go back into Palace 2 just to unlock 2 chests because I was out of lockpicks but it worked out okay because there's one enemy in there that hands you ressurection beads since he's too strong so I got a few of those and the chests both had some good stuff. I've basically saved during D-Day (I keep a few save files going) and will probably finish off this palace tomorrow .... I may have missed a bonding experience with Mishima though , I figured I'd have an extra day but nope ... also MC apparently had dreams about Ryuji so his bond grew stronger while he was sleeping :p

Really enjoying this game so far but... I might take a break after I do what I've mentioned above, I don't really want to burn out so I might take a Zelda shrine hunt break soon.

Also very early on I used fusion on
arsene
without giving it much though, I noticed that I can buy it back for pretty cheap. Is it worth keeping ? I mean you get better stuff pretty quickly into the game.

Teptom

I watched a lot of the Persona 4 Endurance Run that Giant Bomb did, but I never played a Persona game before this one. I'm 66 hours in and loving it. I think I'm on 9/13 and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.
Poor Morgana. There's already one party member with issues of feeling useless.
Played the damn thing for 10 hours yesterday.

Yusuke
(I was so excited when I thought we were going to become roomies. Also him and those goddamn lobsters during the beach trip lol)
and Makoto.
(Her persona is a fucking motorcycle with nuclear powers and she just fucking punches people with brass knuckles.Nothing tops that)
are the best.

vkrili

Finally started playing this. So for the most part, P5 has been great, but some of the writing just keeps preventing me from getting invested in the games world.

EARLY GAME SPOILERS

Essentially, it feels like the game wants to address serious topics of corruption, apathy and good people letting evil happen, but does it in the most childishly over the top and unnuanced way possible. The idea of a politician somehow turning his attempt to rape someone into the criminal conviction of a child would be more at home in a banana republic, and not a state like Japan, with reasonably functional separation of powers.

And then we have Kamoshida and his volleyball abuse. Abuse obviously happens, and having come from a school famous for its sporting teams, I can understand the pressure to succeed and the temptation to act inappropriately. But to try present a situation where systemic and widespread abuse was plainly occurring and to argue that parents somehow cared more about the fucking school volleyball team than their own children's welfare is frankly insane!

The game also gestures to a lot of professions and their duties. Just in the early game, we see glimpses of the professional obligations of teachers, police, lawyers and doctors. But again, the game writes them with all the knowledge and understanding of a child. Teachers somehow are completely frozen when a student attempts suicide despite having been trained to handle such situations to a fucking back alley doctor somehow having the resources to test, produce and market drugs, a process that costs pharmaceutical companies billions of dollars and decades of research.
Like I don't want to sound too down on the game. I still really like it, but it feels like the game keeps trying to pretend its understanding of the world is profound when it's shallow and naive. I'm sure the writing is on par with P3 and P4, and I liked those games, but I was a dumb teenager back then. I'm not anymore

Literally all of this happens in, and is based on, real-life events.

FluxWaveZ

EARLY GAME SPOILERS

?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

I think you're underestimating real life.

BLCKATK

Hi everybody, just wanted to ask some questions about the game.

11/21+ HEAVY SPOILERS

Wow what a scene.

So I just unlocked Shido's dungeon, I'm fairly certain this is the last one. I mainly have one thing to ask. Is social time over? Since I'm a fugitive and all. If so, damn, I had several links to finish up so looks like I'll definitely be going in for NG+.

I'm expecting to get booted out the dungeon at least once, but is this going to be another situation where I can complete the dungeon but I can't actually fight the boss until the day before? In this case the 17th.

I hope they at least give me until then so I can finish Mementos and a few more social links.

Chaos17

Idk but the story/characters haven't gripped me yet. I'm super early on though. (2nd palace)

I'm at 7th palace (just began the chapter) and the story also didn't grabbed me. It's a good game but that's it for me. Most of my playtime is about reading also...

Edit: reading none important stuff (they like to strecth and spam your mobile, lol)

Jintor

wait akihabara isn't just a co-op location but has shops and shit?!?!?!?!?

/edit ...shit, i recognise this area.... goddamnit

EARLY GAME SPOILERS

Iirc almost all of the cases are based on real life events that have happened in Japan over the years. Stuff like Kamoshida is not particularly far fetched : /

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
replayed the final boss again
mann that satanael summoning was just epic and that "BEGONE!!!" would drop the panties of every female confidants. joker is too badass

Just beat it and man what a game. Going to jump into NG+ ASAP and revel in becoming an OP God. Probably gonna type up a full review tomorrow.

Also (Kawakami Valentine's spoilers lol)
that had to be the most explicit "these characters are fucking after this scene" dialogue since Elizabeth in P3. Good lord.

Dantis

I feel like the S Links here are big step diwn from the ones added in P3P. They're a lot less emotional, and less personal, I think?

The biggest thing that P5 is missing for me at the moment is the'feels' moments that P4 had. In P5, I really enjoy playing it, but I don't feel anything emotionally, both inside and outside dungeons.

I also don't particularly like any of the cast (not got Haru yet). Yusuke and Makoto are okay? But they're all more deeply flawed and less empathetic than P4's cast.

Not feeling this as much as Persona 4 yet. Game feels a lot slower to me.

I felt the same way when I first sat down with the game. I found myself missing the personalities of the characters in 4. It grows on you though, Im sure if I can take the glasses of nostalgia off I would remember not knowing how to feel about the P4 people at first either.

Finishing the sixth palace at 2 in the morning was clearly a very, very bad idea.
Holy exposition dump, Batman. I might have to rewatch that entire sequence because a bunch of it doesn't make sense at all. I started falling asleep during the last bits of it, too, which doesn't help at all.

Early game questions:

What does Igor want me to be a
master thief?

Another thing. Is the Volleyball teacher going out with
that student who's a model? If so, is this even normal behaviour in Japan?

And why does Ryuji want to back to the
castle
after nearly
dying with the protagonist when they first entered it

Yu Narukami

Early game questions:

What does Igor want me to be a
master thief?

Another thing. Is the Volleyball teacher going out with
that student who's a model? If so, is this even normal behaviour in Japan?

And why does Ryuji want to back to the
castle
after nearly
dying with the protagonist when they first entered it
Just play the game. Take your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom