• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally i find the dub pretty rough, a couple of voices are just flat out bad, they don't seem to match the character designs. I also find the main protag's voice goofy and jarring, but so far he rarely speaks. I'm having a much better time with japanese audio.

It's probably because you're so used to hearing the JP voices from the game since reveal that anything else sounds off. I've played the whole game already in JP and the bits I seen from the English dub sounded great. I think it's a matter of getting used to it.

HiroTSK5

just a few mentions/easter eggs here and there

shouta did an arsene only, AI party member run for his second time I think?

you'll have to put some work into making Arsene useful though since he stops learning skills really early

So nothing too bad, I'm guessing by looking through the DLC that the Skill Cards from P4G are returning. Truth be told I've avoided all media about this game so I'm going in totally blind.

rockx4

That's so hypocritical.

If we're debating choosing a dub for the sake of immersion, having all the added voice acted bits definitely add to the experience. When a lot of them are not getting subtitles, it becomes extremely annoying if you don't get what's being said. In no way do they "matter" for the big picture or anything like that. But they greatly contribute to the game feeling lively IMO.

This is exactly why I end up going back to english dub for most JRPG. The banter in and out of combat add a lot to each character's personality, and having them un-subtitled really ruins the experience for me. I've always been big on wanting the japanese voices, but I realized I always turn it off. I just go english dub from the start now.

Shouta

just a few mentions/easter eggs here and there

shouta did an arsene only, AI party member run for his second time I think?

you'll have to put some work into making Arsene useful though since he stops learning skills really early

Yeah, it's pretty possible to do a Arsene only run, especially in NG+ where you get a bunch of Skill Cards and the like. The Arsene I went with was stupid powerful after doing fusion work and save scumming for stats.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought the screenshot feature was supposed to be disabled. I'm seemingly able to take screens in the intro parts just fine, if they start by letting you take pictures then block it later, that's an even bigger dick move :-/

Anyway, here's some from the starting 2 minutes form my Pro. Too bad it doesn't have any Pro upgrades.

persona5_201704032137dvubc.png

persona5_20170403223238uoo.png

persona5_201704032233gxulw.png

persona5_201704032234jpuuh.png

persona5_201704032239tmuju.png

I LOVE being a sassy shit. The game is so oppressive that I revel every opportunity to talk back and exert my independence.

Game is teaching me what it's like to be discriminated against for something outside of my control

Yeah, it's doing a pretty good job so far! (I'm a couple hours in.)

bomblord1

Banned
I thought the screenshot feature was supposed to be disabled. I'm seemingly able to take screens in the intro parts just fine, if they start by letting you take pictures then block it later, that's an even bigger dick move :-/

Anyway, here's some from the starting 2 minutes form my Pro. Too bad it doesn't have any Pro upgrades.

After the opening area you get the "recording has stopped because you entered a blocked scene" pop up. And after that point you can't record or screenshot gameplay.

I LOVE being a sassy shit. The game is so oppressive that I revel every opportunity to talk back and exert my independence.

Yeah, it's doing a pretty good job so far! (I'm a couple hours in.)

That's interesting my reaction has been pretty much the exact opposite. I've been trying to take every opportunity I get to prove I'm a good person and their impressions of me are wrong.

"Hello, so what are the general helpful tips for starting out?" I asked then just felt like bravely searching anyways so I'll quote a helpful gaffer.

Here's a consolidated list of basic, mostly spoiler free tips for maxing out all arcana and human parameters:

#1: Get Death to rank 7 as soon as possible. This is one of the earliest SLs available so this should come naturally for near any playthrough. Rank 7 unlocks the discount for the SP regen accessory which lets you buy it for a cool 50k.

#2: When you unlock Temperance mainline it as soon as possible. Its effects (which involve giving you more free time) are greatest the sooner you complete it and you won't be able to progress it past a certain point until fall if you don't reach that point before summer.

#3: Give the plant the best fertilizer as soon as it's ready. You get free understanding or kindness or whatever it's called in English. TV also has free knowledge opportunities so check every day.

#4: Devil and Sun give shitloads of charm so it's a good idea to focus on those when you need to bump charm up a notch.

#5: Hierophant takes forever to rank up to 3 and 4, but you get free relationship points by making coffee so do that instead of talking to them until they're ready to pop.

#6: Sun cuts off a full month before the other links but the game will tell you about a month before the deadline so just make sure you have it up to 6 or 7 by then and you'll be able to complete it easily.

#7: Fortune is a good one to rank up because they can give you free relationship points for any other character at rank 7 for 5000 yen. Just starting Fortune is a huge investment however (100k and a Mementos mission!!!!) so you may have to make sacrifices to get it up that high that quickly. I never bothered until near the end and managed just fine.

#8: You still need the corresponding arcana in your persona deck per confidant. Just haul out a cheap one if you don't have it.

#9: Most non-party member confidants have Mementos mission blocks in their SL (usually after rank 7). Plan your trips into the dungeon carefully if you have a lot of links nearing 8.

#10: Rainy days give you knowledge boosts the same as before. Study in the restaurant so you get a free additional stat boost besides knowledge (guts or courage is usually a good choice early on). The bathhouse also gives you a charm boost on a rainy day or Mondays and Thursdays. Always aim for 3 or more points instead of 2.

#11: On Sundays, you can buy a 5000 yen health drink in the subway that raises one stat by one. Hitting this every week is costly but a good way of maxing stats out with as little time investment as possible.

The only thing I did was game social link answers and check their schedules occasionally online near the end and I maxed them all out with 3-4 days to spare.

Put a few hours into it, much more direct start into the game then Persona 4 (which I love, but 6 hours before you really get into the game is a bit much) and although I watched a few trailers for this game I am really surprised by how the setup for this game actually is, if it hasn't been spoiled for you yet it really helps drive home the theme they are going and I can already tell this story seems to be much darker then Persona 4 which is a nice change of pace.

I can't even download the swimsuit DLC before the game officially comes out?!

*throws controller at TV*

What's the fucking point of living?!

Do an incredibly tiny task that won't take more than a couple of seconds for someone who's looking after you?

"I don't feel like it"

Okay, I haven't been that sassy, I guess. I'm still roleplaying a good person, I just like how much character the dialogue choices have. And sometimes Kamoshida or an abusive cop deserve a little lip.

NeonBlack

Does this game have a secret ending like P4? Thinking about getting it but don't want to worry about trying to spend time with people to get a true ending.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Does this game have a secret ending like P4? Thinking about getting it but don't want to worry about trying to spend time with people to get a true ending.

Nah, you'll get the true ending on a normal playthrough.

Socivol

This is exactly why I end up going back to english dub for most JRPG. The banter in and out of combat add a lot to each character's personality, and having them un-subtitled really ruins the experience for me. I've always been big on wanting the japanese voices, but I realized I always turn it off. I just go english dub from the start now.

This is why I hate Tokyo Mirage Sessions not having an English dub. I have no clue what they are saying in battle and they talk A LOT. You really lose a lot of their comradery when you can't understand it.

Ryuji's voice actor is so good, man. His deliveries have all been so grounded and natural, even the character-y stuff. I'm really impressed.

PixelatedBookake

Just got the game from GameStop. Gonna try to beat it by Sunday before I have to return my PS4. I'll also end up selling the game on Craigslist or something whether I beat it or not.

aravuus

This is going to sound weird, but... I LOVE the clicking sound when you proceed through dialogue windows.

Okay, I haven't been that sassy, I guess. I'm still roleplaying a good person, I just like how much character the dialogue choices have. And sometimes Kamoshida or an abusive cop deserve a little lip.

Haha, I couldn't resist picking that option. I'm otherwise being nice to the guy.

Well, for the most part, at least. I'm not exactly roleplaying per se, just picking the options that sound most entertaining to me.

This is why I hate Tokyo Mirage Sessions not having an English dub. I have no clue what they are saying in battle and they talk A LOT. You really lose a lot of their comradery when you can't understand it.

That game needs a Switch Port IMO. I think a Switch port with English dubbing would finally give it a shot to sell. It was sent to die on the Wii U.

Played about 2 hrs.
Pros
Easily the best opening dungeon in any persona game.
Music is top notch. Figuring out how to get to the school was annoying and really great at the same time coz of just how well it captures the feeling of trying to get someplace in a new town.
Loving the dark vibe of the story, the way everyone is an ass to you for no good reason just makes me wanna punch them in the gut. Again its brilliant because theres a degree of real world truth to it
Combat is just smooth as hell
Godly artstyle and graphics.

Meh
Iq for some reason doesnt seem to hold up in combat. You can definitely tell its a ps3 game at heart. A 4k mode would do wonders but i doubt its ever coming.
Persona animations still remain rather pedestrian and i absolutely despise the blue shade over summoned personas
Not into the setting yet, but its way too early to judge i guess. It just hasn't grabbed me like weird spooky shit town in p3 or suburban murders setting in p4
This is going to sound weird, but... I LOVE the clicking sound when you proceed through dialogue windows.
I just love how snappy it and everything else feels. Cyber sleuth made me wanna shoot myself there was a long conversation

I really like that the main character actually says stuff so far, giving him a personality that you can kinda push this way and that is way more effective. It's like how they made the P4 guy an actual character in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom