• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergiz

Just picked mine up from Gamestop. Already remembering the reasons I never go there.

I was sort of surprised that you had to download the Japanese voices. Suffered through the entire intro sequence with English voices. It was pretty bad. Look forward to the Japanese voices going forward.

AwShucks

There's a lot of voice acted bits that don't have subtitles, so I absolutely don't recommend the japanese voices for a first time, no.

Unless you're good in japanese.

Are we talking full blown dialogue, story bits, or just random battle lines or other inconsequential things?

After 3 years, tonight I FINALLY beat Persona 4 Golden.

I was in the last dungeon for about a year but refused to complete it because of how... Empty I felt when beating Persona 3. When I beat Persona 3 I felt like I lost something dear to me, as if all my friends just disappeared so I kinda put off Persona 4 due to that, but I did it, I finally beat the game I've been dreading to beat.

I'm so ready for Persona 5 tomorrow.

I'll be able to play this in 18hrs... Still feels unreal

Also I think I'm gonna name my MC Yoko Taro because I still have Nier on my brain

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Are we talking full blown dialogue, story bits, or just random battle lines or other inconsequential things?

The latter. The amount of unsubtitled dialogue is being overblown to hell and back. The Chinese and Korean versions of the game aren't even getting dubs because virtually the entire game is fully subbed. Every single conversation, every cutscene, and every bit of idle chatter is fully subbed, and the minimal stuff you lose out on like repetitive battle dialogue that is barely anything beyond "take this" and "thanks" and 10 second DVD clips are not worth forcing yourself to no use your preferred audio track.

The dub sounded great. I played in JP because I am learning Japanese. I'm starting the US version in English because I want to actually understand the whole plot intricacies.

Slaythe

Did you play the game already?

Yeah.

Movies and dvds, battle lines, persona voice acted bits(personality, battle, level ups etc..), contextual actions(doing something right, attacking some enemy etc...), generic(but appropriate) voice acted bits over non voiced acted dialogues, ambient chats etc...

If you don't speak japanese, it's definitely annoying and frequent enough to be more than distracting.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem once I'll beat the game in english, to experience it in japanese, but as a first time player it's a no for me.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Bout three hours in. Amazing so far. Combats smooth and story gets going straight away and is really interesting

Only minor complaint is the textures are horrendous, but i can excuse that because of how much style this game has

Slaythe

The latter. The amount of unsubtitled dialogue is being overblown to hell and back. The Chinese and Korean versions of the game aren't even getting dubs because virtually the entire game is fully subbed. Every single conversation, every cutscene, and every bit of idle chatter is fully subbed, and the minimal stuff you lose out on like repetitive battle dialogue that is barely anything beyond "take this" and "thanks" and 10 second DVD clips are not worth forcing yourself to no use your preferred audio track.

That's so hypocritical.

If we're debating choosing a dub for the sake of immersion, having all the added voice acted bits definitely add to the experience. When a lot of them are not getting subtitles, it becomes extremely annoying if you don't get what's being said. In no way do they "matter" for the big picture or anything like that. But they greatly contribute to the game feeling lively IMO.

Locke562

Went into GameStop to preorder at 6 because they were having an early release. When I went to pick it up at 9 and the guy in front of me didn't want his TYH edition so I snagged that. Here I go!

I still have an amazon preorder coming Thursday. Two days late...

thedan001

Just got home with my steelbook Persona 5

My Gamestop were selling at 9pm but I showed up at 9:31pm and they were closing up but they were nice enough to let me pick it up

Finishing 100% zelda will be harder now

Rozart

Popping in here real quick to to ask how the steelbook edition is. I might upgrade from my standard PS3 version to that.
Anyone take pictures of their Steelbook?

The steelbook is gorgeous. Especially if you're a fan of Soejima's art.

C8ZGt6TUMAAWe-w.jpg

Big Brett

So how much of the game will I actually be able to play once it's "Ready to start" but not fully downloaded? Hoping to start before I go to bed tonight.

I remember when the reveal came out. It convinced me to buy a Vita and P4G, though I got stuck and stopped but I'm definitely ready for P5!! :D

Also, is there an option to swap X and O in the options when it comes to confirm and cancel? I've been playing a lot on Nintendo systems recently, plus it just feels more natural to me. I don't mind getting used to it if I have to.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
That's so hypocritical.

If we're debating choosing a dub for the sake of immersion, having all the added voice acted bits definitely add to the experience. When a lot of them are not getting subtitles, it becomes extremely annoying if you don't get what's being said. In no way do they "matter" for the big picture or anything like that. But they greatly contribute to the game feeling lively IMO.

I'm all for people being aware that battle dialogue isn't subtitled, but let's also not pretend the player is missing anything without it. The bulk of it is simple one word phrases that most people who've seen a subtitled anime in their life would understand even without subtitles - any time a boss has a line to say, or the cast have something to respond with, it's subtitled. Any time the navigator warns you an enemy is charging, it's subtitled. Any time you hold up an enemy to negotiate, it's subtitled.

I wouldn't say these lines contribute to the game feeling lively in the slightest, and by the 20 hour mark you've heard every battle line a dozen times over anyway. The dialogue that does add liveliness is the chatter around the city that changes day by day, or the conversations your party members have as you crawl through Mementos, or just the main story and confidants - and every single one of above is fully subtitled.
I get that you like the dub, and that's great - but let's not misinform people and imply even a remotely substantial portion of the game is unvoiced to try and sway them towards the dub, when that's hardly true.

Just to be clear, this has no story connection to P4 whatsoever?

I won't be missing out on a story thread because I didn't finish P4?

Ken

Just to be clear, this has no story connection to P4 whatsoever?

I won't be missing out on a story thread because I didn't finish P4?

just a few mentions/easter eggs here and there

For people who have beaten the game, I want to know; how viable is an Arsene only playthrough of this game?

shouta did an arsene only, AI party member run for his second time I think?

you'll have to put some work into making Arsene useful though since he stops learning skills really early

Personally i find the dub pretty rough, a couple of voices are just flat out bad, they don't seem to match the character designs. I also find the main protag's voice goofy and jarring, but so far he rarely speaks. I'm having a much better time with japanese audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom