• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcbandit

Anyone else have audio drop outs using the PS VR break out box? I haven't tried running direct to my TV because of where I have my PS4 located (default HDMI cable isn't long enough). In addition to going to my TV, it then goes back to my receiver through HDMI ARC channel, so I dunno if it is the PSVR breakout box or ARC fault, sigh. I might have to go back to using Optical out.

Alucrid

Banned
we in there

Yup5bH7l.jpg

Khoryos

Just finished the first dungeon - my only issue so far is Morgana.

Girl name, girl codename, girl voice - but apparently he's a tom?

Yopis

Do the choices you make during conversations have any longterm effect? Been a while since I burned through Persona 4.

3/4 of the game done
Clocked 96 hrs gameplay time
Didnt even try for 100% completion

Indeed alot better than tthe previous ones in certain areas.

Also since people are talking about Ryuji

Junpei => Ryuji>> Yosuke IMO

Also man
Don't read if ur not in November

FK Akechi but holy sht the phantom thieves caught on to his bs. Also like the game gives some sort of hint of to avoid the bad end.

Pygrus

The aesthetic of this game is just so up my alley. Liking the overall style and music more then any of the other person games.

Not really digging any of the characters so far, but I'm not super far in.

However, the antagonist of the first dungeon is fucker I want dead.

HeelPower

I just flicked through the artbook ,and my god this is some of the best character design I have ever seen in anything.

A perfect balance between exuberance and relatable realism.

So many fucking amazing designs in this its hard to believe.And they somehow don't remind me of anything but this game itself.

They really,really struck gold here..And that goes far beyond the incredible main cast designs.

pablito

I know Erika said that. Like I said, it just frustrates me that they only seemingly did it for Takamaki and Sakamoto.

Pronunciation spoilers

I think I heard an NPC say Sakamoto with the vowel stresses on the correct part, but I forgot who. Also Kitagawa (Yusuke's last name) gets that treatment too. It's not as painful to hear as the others, but it's also wrong

Man I've just finished the dungeon and I can already say this is surpassing P3 and 4.
The only thing I'm not so keen on is the mementos but I'll do them anyways, the one track that loops during them gets annoying pretty fast.

I just reached the boss of the third dungeon on hard in 2 days, holy shit that was fucking amazing!
I enjoyed 1 and 2 , but damm that was some amazing level design, and then it goes out on this really cool "set piece" final stretch.

XaosWolf

I wish it would give an indication of how long it takes to do things.

I can make 3 tools in one Evening before school but I then spent an entire Sunday making just 1.

Oh and adjusting your gloves isn't cool if its every 5 seconds, MC. Summon better fitting gloves.

robotrock

Banned
I'm stuck between enjoying the English VA (outside of that horrid pronunciation) and legitimately having no problems with the Japanese VA (outside of having to read subs/missing subs for background discussion)...

Which should I use?

What is the backround discussion stuff? Is that when you're walking around and get those chatter boxes? I thought those were subtitled

XaosWolf

What is the backround discussion stuff? Is that when you're walking around and get those chatter boxes? I thought those were subtitled

Theres an entire news report near the start that isn't subtitled. You still know roughly what they must have been talking about but if that just an example of missing stuff.

The scenes in the early early game where there's a newscaster in the background leave out all subtitles for what they're saying on the TV, even though nobody is speaking over it. (Full 25 seconds of completely unsubbed Jaanese, by my count.)

Are all scenes like that like that?

Is there any way to adjust the display area? I'm cropped on the edges of the screen slightly on my TV, PS4 settings don't seem to affect it

Yea, that's my opinion. I mean, like 99% of what I post is probably my opinion and is there for others to share in it.
VA is good, I enjoy the dub (bar the mispronunciations)

Would like a solution as well, haven't figured out what to do.

Same here!! Driving me crazy, glad it's not just me. Stardew Valley gave me this problem too

I'm having the same problem, Horizon was cut too for me but it wasn't as noticeable as here. Unfortunately it's a overscan problem, changing the display area via PS4 settings won't do any good. You can either disable overscan on your TV/monitor (if possible) or make peace with it an play with the cropped UI, because the game doesn't have dedicated display area settings. This sucks.

FluxWaveZ

There are several vocal touches that aren't subtitled at all. Sometimes during battles, sometimes during story scenes (e.g. a main character making a quip as they walk into a scene), sometimes for background noise (e.g. a crowd making noise, with distinguishable phrases), etc. Those wouldn't be subtitled with Japanese VA enabled.

I'm stuck between enjoying the English VA (outside of that horrid pronunciation) and legitimately having no problems with the Japanese VA (outside of having to read subs/missing subs for background discussion)...

Which should I use?

My thought is: If you speak English and not Japanese, you're going to miss out on subtext and subtleties if you're not playing the English dub.

Japanese may be more "authentic" but what's more authentic is that you, as this character, are fluent in the language being spoken, in all the ways that applies. As a game about relationships, I feel like that's important.

I mean, it'd be one thing if the English dub wasn't also exceptional (like the original), but you're not subjecting yourself to an inferior experience if you play in your native language.

robotrock

Banned
Guess I will stick with the english dub then. It sounds kind of weirdly compressed or something about the sound mixing seems off on my 5.1 set up though.

Haven't really been feeling the game in the first two hours, but that's how these games tend to start I suppose.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Even with subtitles enabled, it doesn't subtitle anything on TVs, for some stupid reason - even when it's the focus of the scene.

That bugs me when they show a picture of something that is covered in Japanese text, with absolutely no indication of what it says.

I like that you can read on the train but it sucks that you can't read at home anymore.

There's a small bookshelf on the counter, you grab the books from there.

robotrock

Banned
Should I be trying to explore side stuff at the start of the game or should I just be piling through the story objectives for now. Because I have huge problems navigating the world + camera for some reason

Starting Persona 5 has reminded me that 1. Games can still be great 2. I can still love games.

After hating so many "amazing" games over the past few years it is so good to find a game that actually delivers.

Well done to all involved.

Tunoku

Around 10 hours into the game so far and I just can't stop playing. Really happy with the QOL additions regarding pretty much everything. It's a bummer I got spoiled about two pretty major things, but can't wait to play more. In fact, I'm just gonna that right fucking now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom