• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Only at 4/15, but I have some very vagueish ideas about how I think this will go. No one confirm or deny anything I say please :).

Morgana seems very adamant about changing people's hearts at the cost of possibly leaving them braindead. Also, the suicide seems like a great plot device to start our heroes down their dubious excursion. (Not saying Morgana did that though.)

Oh god not first post.

brawly

Should I be trying to explore side stuff at the start of the game or should I just be piling through the story objectives for now. Because I have huge problems navigating the world + camera for some reason

Don't worry about it too much. There might be afternoons where you don't do anything at all. That's fine. You'll be flooding in activities soon enough.

This doesn't fix it. It's an issue with the game itself. All this will do is change the display area for the PS4 menus (which is fine) and leaves the display area for the game still messed up.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue. My TV has no option to adjust the overscan so I'm stuck with some of the subtitles being cut off.

TheFatMan

I'm pretty sad I don't have time to play this for another week or three. But I got my steel book today from Amazon and holy shit this thing is fantastic.

Best case ever made for a game imo. Just stunning.

Miang

I love the silly news stories and random dialogue you hear walking around. *extremely mild spoilers not relating to main plot*
Just heard on the TV about the Wild Duck Burger employee who took all his clothes off at work. 'He claims he was "fully nude at work before he realised it"'. LMAO. Also, bonus P3 reference!

I'm really glad I'm stuck at work today until 7PM, because I'd be going insane if I was at home still waiting for my copy. Of course, I'm still counting that Amazon will actually deliver it before I get home, but who really knows with their awful in-house delivery.

Hoping I don't end up having to make an angry call to Amazon customer service tonight.

I'm really loving Morgana and his English dub. So adorable and hilarious, and really loved that they assigned the explanatory text from P4 into his dialogue.

Post 2nd Dungeon: I find it very funny and cute that
Morgana is more motivated to go back to human form because he has a crush on Ann, and wants to beat the competition. LOL

My thought is: If you speak English and not Japanese, you're going to miss out on subtext and subtleties if you're not playing the English dub.

Japanese may be more "authentic" but what's more authentic is that you, as this character, are fluent in the language being spoken, in all the ways that applies. As a game about relationships, I feel like that's important.

I mean, it'd be one thing if the English dub wasn't also exceptional (like the original), but you're not subjecting yourself to an inferior experience if you play in your native language.

Minor vocal phrases are not going to change subtext. It's not like the English dub doesn't have some questionable translations anyway. I've had no problems understanding what's going on with the JP audio, and it feels more immersive and consistent to me to hear Japanese voices when I'm in a Japanese city surrounded by Japanese writing.

People should use whatever helps them feel more immersed in the world and the story.

ckohler

Two hours in and I'm glad I chose the dub. There are so many ambient background voices that add flavor to each location and the voice acting throughout has been fantastic.

My only real complaint so far is that there is practically no dead zone for movement. It takes a very sensitive touch to only walk around. Any more than that and you are constant running into everything at full speed.

pablito

So... is there no way to get a persona's mask if you can't knock them down without killing them? :\

Often times they'll beg if you get their hp down really low

It MIGHT be if you're already higher level than they are, though. I don't remember it happening in the beginning of the game.

Bladenic

Finally home from work. About to start and already crying.

Too bad I can't play much during the week anymore, oh well weekend here I come.

Mazre

I'm having the same problem, Horizon was cut too for me but it wasn't as noticeable as here. Unfortunately it's a overscan problem, changing the display area via PS4 settings won't do any good. You can either disable overscan on your TV/monitor (if possible) or make peace with it an play with the cropped UI, because the game doesn't have dedicated display area settings. This sucks.

Thanks for this, managed to find an HD-Size setting on my TV that was able to adjust it.

Saw the steel book waiting for me once I got back home. Looking forward to jumping in tonight.

Ugh, I don't know whether to go with the dub or sub though. I usually prefer subs but it honestly doesn't matter to me lol. I guess as a side note too I don't really replay games anymore. Hmm guess I'll decide on startup

Grewitch

IMG_4803.jpg

How about you guys?

Riko Murakami.

Game is amazing, just spent half my money on buying three medicine before realising I should have saved to buy weapons. Gulp. Luckily, managed to pick up four Persona when the option came up, felt like a rockstar.

Nbz

I'm having the same problem, Horizon was cut too for me but it wasn't as noticeable as here. Unfortunately it's a overscan problem, changing the display area via PS4 settings won't do any good. You can either disable overscan on your TV/monitor (if possible) or make peace with it an play with the cropped UI, because the game doesn't have dedicated display area settings. This sucks.

I had this problem too, but just changed my TV settings from 16:9 to fit to screen and it fits perfectly

RPGCrazied

Awesome so far! I miss Igor's voice, this new voice is going to get take some time getting use to. I love the music, the subway sucks(get lost often), and the menus are so slick.

One nitpick I wish you could turn off those notifications during cutscenes, like ICON.

WaterAstro

Doesn't the game ask you if you want to skip? Been a little since I played the JP version but I recall it asking that.

I skipped one cutscene
Velvet room
and pressed it again thinking I would unpause instead of agreeing to skip.

Second time, it just skipped without warning.

Just press square yo

Yeah gotta get used to it. I have to watch a youtube video to see what I missed.

mike6467

This is probably somewhere in this thread but my searching turned up nothing.
Do rainy days affect gameplay at all? I know this isn't the same plot device it was in Persona 4 with the fog and whatnot, but I figured I'd check.

Should that be spoilered? Meh, I'll be safe and spoiler it, it's an extremely minor gameplay mechanics question and a minor spoiler for Persona 4.

yeah the overworld UI is kind of a huge mess

This is my one complaint, from the maps to overhearing conversations, and quite a bit of other UI, there's a lot on screen I wish I could turn off.

calder

Figuring out the subway day 1 was more interesting and fun than most games I've played lately lol

Fantastic so far, as expected

ubiblu

So... is there no way to get a persona's mask if you can't knock them down without killing them? :\

There is a far simpler way in Mementos for a subset of them, but generally speaking, you will need to not over-level and find each of their weaknesses. Rare that you should have too much problems with them (though those gem monsters...fuck them).

Yeaaah. This game doesn't fuck around.

Don't be deceived. The first storyline is by far the darkest. The rest are rough, but nothing compares to that particular piece of shit individual.

As someone who has plugged 100+ hours into the Japanese version, I'm really enjoying my replay in English with the dub. I mean, if people could stop sounding like fucking retards when they pronounce names like Sakamoto, that would be great. But otherwise, I think they've done a fantastic job with the translation.

I wish you could remove the map but it seems you can't.

I wish you could remove all subtitles when using the English dub. It's weird to see two faces on the screen doing lip movements. Wasn't this an option with P3?

Also, it's a bit annoying that each conversation block is so short. Maybe this is a result of the UI design, but it feels like you have to press Continue every few words.

Figuring out the subway day 1 was more interesting and fun than most games I've played lately lol

Agreed, though looking at those pixellated signs in the subway was not so fun.

Jb

Do rainy days affect gameplay at all? I know this isn't the same plot device it was in Persona 4 with the fog and whatnot, but I figured I'd check.

There are recurring events and special sales on rainy days, similar to the Beef Bowl challenge in P4.

Should that be spoilered? Meh, I'll be safe and spoiler it, it's an extremely minor gameplay mechanics question and a minor spoiler for Persona 4.
Yes. They'll explain it eventually.

If not, it's more or less the same as P4, with some new options.

Shouta

I just got the TYH edition delivered and cripes this is like the 2nd biggest LE I've ever bought for a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom