• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it's on par with the 3 and 4 dub?

Unquestionably.

This is a lot more subjective, but I'm about six hours in and going by just Ryuji and Morgana this dub is ahead of P4G so far. It at least starts stronger. Ann is pretty good too but unexceptional. Comparable to Yukiko, I'd say. Ryuji is better-acted than any of the main cast characters in P4G, in my opinion, even Troy Baker as Kanji. And I loved the voice acting of that game (outside of Teddie).

Labrys

I seem to be suffering from a sort of odd audio glitch. The last part of audio clips in battle will become like super loud? Has anyone else experienced this? It's nothing game breaking but it's consistent and annoying.

Ok, so I got the Japanese voices dlc, restarted the game and changed the option of Japanese voices to ON but after loading the game still continues in English. Do I really need to start a new save?

I kinda like the English dub so I might go with it, anyway.

robotrock

Banned
Unquestionably.

This is a lot more subjective, but I'm about six hours in and going by just Ryuji and Morgana this dub is ahead of P4G so far. It at least starts stronger. Ann is pretty good too but unexceptional. Comparable to Yukiko, I'd say. Ryuji is better-acted than any of the main cast characters in P4G, in my opinion, even Troy Baker as Kanji. And I loved the voice acting of that game (outside of Teddie).

Alright friend. I will trust you.

Strimei

The voice at the start, the very start, talking about how characters and events being similar yadda yadda, is that Fred Tatasciore? It reminds me of Saren from Mass Effect. Such a good voice.

Decided to play the game on the easiest difficulty since I'm really just in this for the story and Turn Based games usually aren't my thing. I'm happy to say that I'm enjoying this just as much if not more than P4G :)

george_us

IMG_4803.jpg

How about you guys?
Juzo Kure.

So when do you get the ability to hide behind objects? Had it in the beginning and still can't use it 6 hours later.

EDIT: nvm right as I wrote that I got it back.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Christ I'm getting my shit pushed it at the end of first dungeon

Is there anywhere to buy or make SP items ? Run out and then can't exploit people's weaknesses

Also after you finish a dungeon can you go back to it like persona 4 ?

Also when you smash items to collect them, do they come back if you return to the dungeon ? And is it the same with chests or are they unique one off items ?

JJShadow

Question about Confidant links (April-early May):
So I'm in early May right now, just had this celebration dinner and I was wondering if there is any missable Confidant link available that I'm not aware of? I already have the ones related to the main story as well as Sojiro's and Tae's. When should I be expecting a new one? Does the game usually hint at you in some way that there is a new one available, or should I walk around the map from time to time to check for them?

Since overscan was completely ruining the game for me on my old ass TV, I've been playing via remote play on my Vita and it's been great so far. I've never liked remote play because of the lag but it's barely noticeable here. After 50+ hours of Zelda on the Wii U gamepad (not because of overscan, just convenience), this is the natural follow-up to that experience, lol.

I'm about 5 hours in, really loving the game so far. Reminds me more of P3 than P4. The game just seems darker and less welcoming than its direct predecessor, which is cool. But I already love my bro Ryuji. And the music... Goddamn, it's good. I let the main battle theme play for 20 minutes before I even took a single action. The intro and tutorials could have been shortened for sure, as usual, but other than that, the game seems fantastic.

Question about Confidant links (April-early May):
So I'm in early May right now, just had this celebration dinner and I was wondering if there is any missable Confidant link available that I'm not aware of? I already have the ones related to the main story as well as Sojiro's and Tae's. When should I be expecting a new one? Does the game usually hint at you in some way that there is a new one available, or should I walk around the map from time to time to check for them?
I think the only significant one that the game wasn't screaming for you to initiate contact with was the
fortune teller in Shinjuku at night

robotrock

Banned
Since overscan was completely ruining the game for me on my old ass TV, I've been playing via remote play on my Vita and it's been great so far. I've never liked remote play because of the lag but it's barely noticeable here. After 50+ hours of Zelda on the Wii U gamepad (not because of overscan, just convenience), this is the natural follow-up to that experience, lol.

I'm about 5 hours in, really loving the game so far. Reminds me more of P3 than P4. The game just seems darker and less welcoming than its direct predecessor, which I like. But I already love my bro Ryuji. And the music... Goddamn, it's good. I let the main battle theme play for 20 minutes before I even took a single action. The intro and tutorials could have been shortened for sure, as usual, but other than that, the game seems fantastic.

Yeah my Vita is buried in my backyard somewhere but I'm definitely gonna dig it out for this one

Matsukaze

Is there anywhere to buy or make SP items ? Run out and then can't exploit people's weaknesses
There are certain sodas you can purchase at school or near your house that refill something like 5 SP a pop. They're not great, but they are all that's readily available.

Alternatively, I had some luck during Hold-Ups with Agathions. They typically handed out Devil Fruits but sometimes gave Soul Drops when you demand items from them.

pablito

Every week you can buy...8? SP recovery items at various vending machines (2 from machine near bathhouse, 1 at Shujin courtyard, and I think one at the arcade). 5 SP per pop. You can
make coffee at LeBlanc for a time slot. 30 SP.
There's some expensive SP accessories from the
Death confidant
, I'm not sure about purchasable items yet.

ramyeon

Ok, so I got the Japanese voices dlc, restarted the game and changed the option of Japanese voices to ON but after loading the game still continues in English. Do I really need to start a new save?

I kinda like the English dub so I might go with it, anyway.
If you're continuing a save which was played with the English dub then you also need to toggle it in the save menu.

JJShadow

Also after you finish a dungeon can you go back to it like persona 4 ?

Also when you smash items to collect them, do they come back if you return to the dungeon ? And is it the same with chests or are they unique one off items ?

You can find some of them in certain vending machines (they restore only 5-10 SP though) or if you rank up
Sojiro's
you'll be available to make by yourself some drinks/food to restore SP as well. Also ranking up the
Death Arcana
will grant you access to SP recovery items if I'm not wrong

No, you cannot go back to a dungeon after you steal the Treasure

I'm pretty sure that items obtained from barrels, boxes... respawn after you come back to the dungeon (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Chests don't respawn though

I think the only significant one that the game wasn't screaming for you to initiate contact with was the
fortune teller in Shinjuku at night

Thanks! Will keep an eye for this one. It's good to know you can easily find all of them

iFirez

Well fuck, this game is going to be my next 100+ hour masterpiece... just after Zelda too. This year is insane already.

I just got up to
Ann joining the party. Her and Not-Cat are by far my favourites so far.
I look forward to picking the game back up tomorrow night for another 5 hours and finding out what's next.

ekgrey

So anybody playing on PS3? How're you finding the experience? Any performance issues that would be improved on PS4? On paper the only difference is 720p vs 1080p, right?

DNAbro

11 hours in and goddamn I'm so happy. Everything feels so good. I can easily see this blowing past Zelda for me for GOTY.

Ryuji is awesome.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
After playing Nier, this frame rates going to bug me.

That's a very weird remark. Do you mean going from unsteady 60 to rock solid 30 ?

Because this game pretty much runs at a solid 30 FPS without any dips, at least in my experience so far.

VegiHam

Man I died right outside the next safe room and lost like an hours progress fuck this game actual trash

I'm having a lot of fun so far. Really feels like Persona you know?

Strimei

Watching the intro (after the first playable sequence) reminds me of all the speculation people had from the first shots of the first trailer.

Scrunchie-chan and the idols flashing across billboards maybe being party members, all that stuff.

Good times.

Ydelnae

4/17 spoilers

I feel like they are going to totally recycle Teddie's storyline with Morgana after his "I don't remember being human" stuff.

OmegaDL50

Amazon fails to provide release day shipping again and I had this pre-ordered since June of last year.

I guess I won't be playing until this weekend because of my busy work schedule. Meh.

I lent my Vita to my boss along with P4G so he could play that first, but now that 5 is out, I'm craving that remote play bad.

I was so pathetic today at work: I brought in my laptop, a DS4, and cord and set it up at my desk on my lunch break. I sat in my office (as an adult) like some thirsty weeaboo and played Persona 5 via PC Remote Play for 25 minutes. It was pretty friggin embarrassing but I'm busy tonight and had to get some in today.

Sure wish I could play this on the train ride to my improv class after work.

You know, I have been in a similar situation as the protagonist. My mom moved me from a public middle school to a private one to help me inevitably get into a private high school. The students all distanced themselves from me like I did something wrong. Turns out my enrollment was a big subject of debate at a PTA. Parents thought I was some common criminal or I might go on a school shooting.

That was a miserable time for me.

Game's great btw

I had this problem too, but just changed my TV settings from 16:9 to fit to screen and it fits perfectly

Glad I could help.

Thanks for this, managed to find an HD-Size setting on my TV that was able to adjust it.

Good for you man, some older tv's (like the one I'm playing on, of course) doesn't have fit-to-screen or Display Area +1 or whatever other manufacturers call it. I know it'll drive me nuts, but not as much as the not so good translation.
Whatever, I'll make do.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The stats of your equipped persona are your stats.
But your HP and SP stay constant and are the only stats that increase when your character (not persona) level up.

I love Morgana's win pose. That little excited scooting spin into the dopey icon when he levels up. Oh man and I'm not even a cat person.

Ryuji really is amazingly voiced.

I love hearing this shit. I know there are eventually gonna be contrarians that come out of the woodwork shitting on his performance, but they're fucking crazy. I don't want to pull rank as a guy with an acting degree (since, of course, taste is subjective) but this dude can act. His range is really tremendous for the recording circumstances and such an over-the-top character. I can imagine not liking the character near as much if his performance weren't selling it so well.

I would love to see what he could do in, say, a Neil Druckmann game -- acting out scenes live on a soundstage with excellent direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom