• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

MTC100

Banned
Not true, actually. Pretty sure it gives a default 2, and 3 if you have the right Persona from what I can tell.
There are also confidants where you will get three regardless of having a correct persona or not though. I know because I couldn't always be bothered to buy one in the velvet room, by the way: that mechanic is the worst in the series and they still didn't get rid of it in P5 which is a disappointment, it doesn't feel like it's a bonus to have the right persona with you but rather like a penalty if you don't.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, you did. You should be ashamed and return the game. Be sure to watch t
he gloomy cutscene and feel guilty. You gotta endure the consequences of failing.

Don't turn off the console. The bad ending is worth watching imo.

Haha you bet I will. I'm confused tho
Did I fail because I didn't sell off my friends or was it something else? I was pretty sure I was on the right track.

Nope
Not Akechi
That's impossible

Ponn

Banned
The problem with the silent protagonist format is that often various characters need to pick up the slack and be the MC voice.

I agree with Queen being a leader type in a lot of cases. However, the games give some room for you to tell her to relax when she gets carried away. She mostly remains calm because she is used to it, but she is much more impulsive than it initially seems.

The game gives you various choices at different times during the story and dungeon crawling where you can say what to do next. If you don't choose the correct box (which usually can be chosen by using common sense) she corrects you.

I didn't have any issues with her role. She is pretty much your voice in some serious moments, but it's a common tool for those kind of protagonist.

And I love the MC sense of humor.

I actually enjoyed her Social Link a bit even though I found it lacking in building any type of relationship between her and the protag except for some awkward scenes. Especially near the end of the link when she just flips and
slaps Eiko and tells that dirtbag host to bring it on and just try to hit her
It was the only time so far i've been disappointed in the convo options because I really wanted a 'No, you got this" option.

Did I fail because I didn't sell off my friends or was it something else? I was pretty sure I was on the right track.

Nope
Not Akechi
That's impossible
well
theres a gunshot in either version, so you could be on the right one. just keep going

MTC100

Banned

Nope
Not Akechi
That's impossible

Did you convince Sae to
show Jokers phone to Akechi
?

If not, then it's no wonder you failed.

End of 7th dungeon

This game is making me all nostalgic about
Metal Gear Rising. Seriously, the main boss fight does the whole Nanomachines and Unenlightened Masses bit it's almost hilarious.
The dungeon was really fun doing in one day, but practically impossible without SP adhesive 3 on all of them. There's a chain of boss fights where I ran out of SP midway through, but the DLC Soma saved me.
The
Calling Card sequence was amazing.

PK Gaming

Let's see. Persona 3's babe hunt ends with the guys using classic trans-panic when they hit on a trans woman in the game.

Persona 2 liked to play trans characters for "laughs" as well.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb8cdzUuDu1rtpj2lo1_500.png

Also, I was looking up the Sumaru Genie, and it seems up for debate on whether that character is trans or intersex.

Persona 4 has Naoto.

Also, don't disregard Erica. She had an arc in the background with Toby the whole time. She was given the nightmares, as well as Toby saying "Something seemed off" despite the fact he was a virgin prior to sleeping with her.

I know about those instances, and it's worth pointing out that they play up the trans angle as a joke (though I think Erica is awesome and her character is more intriguing than comical, even if she's ridiculously flawed). That's not the case with Naoto. She's a major character who follows a common anime trope, has a pretty typical problem that's extremely relevant to Japanese woman (workplace inequality) and has a typical resolution. I just can't imagine Atlus at any point deciding to make her trans, then backing out on it. It doesn't seem like something they'd ever do.

Opa-Pa

Did you convince Sae to
show Jokers phone to Akechi
?

If not, then it's no wonder you failed.

I did! But
he brushed her off and didn't take it from her. I got killed and now Igor is telling me why as I recall Morgana and Futaba's plan.

Not sure if this is a bad ending but I'm definitely watching the whole thing.

Rand6

Just general light spoilers on when you get mementos requests through the game, nothing specific:

Most of them come through texts/general story progression and some come through confidants. I haven't found any through just wandering around and talking/listening to NPCs, so they seem pretty finite but there are enough of them that it is worth saving up a bunch before visiting. Unless there's a specific confidant you want to progress, it's generally best to go in with 3+ having been ID'd.

You will need to go out and do a small sidequest for some of them after the initial notification, changing their status from "?" to "ID'd!".

Thanks!

Guess Who

Banned
I did! But
he brushed her off and didn't take it from her. I got killed and now Igor is telling me why as I recall Morgana and Futaba's plan.

Not sure if this is a bad ending but I'm definitely watching the whole thing.

If you really want a straight answer to your question,
you're on the right path

Ketkat

I just can't imagine Atlus at any point deciding to make her trans, then backing out on it. It doesn't seem like something they'd ever do.

Why not? They've never had a single good representation of trans characters/situations, but they've had tons of bad ones. But you think it doesn't seem like Atlus would make yet another bad trans character?

What the fuck at Ryuji's max confidant rank.
What is this cloud-riding asshole? I was all set to see Blackbeard or something.
Good thing I never use him in battle. I also really miss Johanna.

Zesh

How many points does Affinity Reading give? +1? Seems kinda worthless.

It's not worthless at all. Once you have it, you never have to spend time with a confidant without ranking them up. Sometimes it'll take 2-3 uses of it (Hierophant, Devil, and Hanged Man come to mind), but it's still worth it as it saves time.

PK Gaming

Why not? They've never had a single good representation of trans characters/situations, but they've had tons of bad ones. But you think it doesn't seem like Atlus would make yet another bad trans character?

Because of the reasons myself and others have brought up regarding her arc.
Because Naoto is such a basic ass character who panders to a certain demographic, there's just 0 doubt in my mind that she always supposed to be a cis gendered woman.
Because Naoto is nothing like the previous trans characters Atlus has made before.

Ketkat

I like that they never made a big deal outta it, iirc.

They never made a big deal out of it? Did we play the same game? The way all the guys acted really weird whenever Toby mentioned wanting to ask Erica out? The way Toby said "Something was off" despite being a virgin before sleeping with her? The way Erica was given the nightmares that were only meant for men? The way Vincent tells Erica that she wouldn't be allowed in women's wrestling? And countless others? The game was constantly putting her down for being trans.

They never made a big deal out of it? Did we play the same game? The way all the guys acted really weird whenever Toby mentioned wanting to ask Erica out? The way Toby said "Something was off" despite being a virgin before sleeping with her? The way Erica was given the nightmares that were only meant for men? The way Vincent tells Erica that she wouldn't be allowed in women's wrestling? And countless others? The game was constantly putting her down for being trans.
there is one part of that I can excuse, catherine spoilers
The nightmares werent for men, they were for people preventing others from reproducing. Erica gets the nightmares because she is preventing Toby from reproducing.
I can see why that bothers people, but I think that part is fine.

Ketkat

there is one part of that I can excuse, catherine spoilers
The nightmares werent for men, they were for people preventing others from reproducing. Erica gets the nightmares because she is preventing Toby from reproducing.
I can see why that bothers people, but I think that part is fine.

The nightmares were literally only given to men. Name 1 other woman who was given them.

Weiss

Banned
It is quite the shame that a game we were hoping would be LGBTQ-inclusive ended up not just ignoring that plight but instead displaying harmful stereotypes.

Kyrios

Question about the 6th palace:

Does beating the boss automatically start the arrest or does that occur after the deadline?

LiK

It's been a while.

LiK

What the fuck at Ryuji's max confidant rank.
What is this cloud-riding asshole? I was all set to see Blackbeard or something.
Good thing I never use him in battle. I also really miss Johanna.

WTF, that's the legendary
Monkey King
and his design is badass.

It is quite the shame that a game we were hoping would be LGBTQ-inclusive ended up not just ignoring that plight but instead displaying harmful stereotypes.

go play persona 2 then, the gay romance is considered the canon-one by the creator (it's nothing much though, just 2-3 lines of dialogue)

Another question about palace 7
Can you tell me guys about how many days I have for social links after the palace ? I need to know, I only need 2 days (one with the tower, another one with) the lovers to have a full max rank

Ryuji by far has the best (max confidant spoiler)
Awakened Persona. Helps that Kidd's badass too, Ryuji's totally a winner on the Persona aspect.

Weiss

Banned
go play persona 2 then, the gay romance is considered the canon-one by the creator (it's nothing much though, just 2-3 lines of dialogue)

It'd be nice if Atlus could meet its own standards from nearly two decades ago.

Back when that thread about positive gay romances was around Jun/Tatsuya was the only one in all of gaming I could think of.

asagami_

Banned

Back when that thread about positive gay romances was around Jun/Tatsuya was the only one in all of gaming I could think of.

Satomi Tadashi was the main writer, after all. I wonder if he will return someday to work in a Megaten, but it seems to be in good term with Atlus, because he returned to write the extra scenario for P2 Batsu remake.

Mariip

I wonder what happened... Jun is also one of the best characters in the whole franchise and he never had social links to be fleshed out :/

Zyrox

So how does the
Reaper
trick work? I'm in Mementos during Flu season. Do I just have to pray to RNGesus? Or is there something I need to do? Fought him thrice now and no despair (just despair for me lol as he nuked me from orbit).

10/29

just got
Akechi on my team...fucking finally! was like the worst kept secret of the game, but did confirm it earlier when I was looking up social links

Top Bottom