• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

ramyeon

This is fine in the game, but when discussing these outside of the game (like in forums, guides, etc.), it makes it annoying to read and parse, and thus a poor implementation.
It's not poor implementation at all. It's a design choice and part of the series' flair since day 1. They take elements from all different religions and languages and mash them together. Taking them away or changing them to be more beginner friendly would take away a huge part of the series' charm.

This is fine in the game, but when discussing these outside of the game (like in forums, guides, etc.), it makes it annoying to read and parse, and thus a poor implementation. Also, mataru and maraku stuff don't have differentiating icons, so it doesn't help there even in game.

it literally takes one 1 minute learn what the spells are, if you cant handle that stick to final fantasy or better yet, stick to games where you barely have to read

Exentryk

It's not poor implementation at all. It's a design choice and part of the series' flair since day 1. They take elements from all different religions and languages and mash them together. Taking them away or changing them to be more beginner friendly would take away a huge part of the series' charm.

I am not saying they should change it now coz I understand those aspects about series history and familiarity for veterans. It's more a comment about that they should have done this when the series was first localised. They could still use the terms from other languages, but should have maintained readability and consistency in prefixes, suffixes, etc.

it literally takes one 1 minute learn what the spells are, if you cant handle that stick to final fantasy or better yet, stick to games where you barely have to read

Lol, y u so mad tho?

Ulong

So there is one less scene for confidant romances then.

Actually now that I think about it I was wrong earlier, there is not 1 but 2 romance potential party members who also don't have a scene in this part, so I really wouldn't weight this too heavily on whether you should date a party member or not.

FHIZ

Okay, one thing that is my one issue with the game is cemented at this point: These kids are some stupid mother fuckers.

I mean... having the "hideout" in public is stupid to begin with, but I'm on 9/1 and
Ryuji just going "Hey, maybe we go public! Wouldn't that be cool!? NO,
MORON! You get the P5 title of Moronji. Then to make it worse, Ann and Youske are drinking Ryuji's brain damage juice and going along with him. Then once someone speaks up, everyone's bright idea is "Hey Makoto, hack your sister. Oh you don't want to? Well you totally should!"

No chill. All of them. Except Makoto. And the MC when I tell him to throw Ryuji under the bus.

All romanceable confidants have one-on-one events on
Valentine's Day and Christmas Eve.

However, there is also another event (
Hawaii
) that is limited to some of them.
Particularly, IIRC Ann, Makoto, Hifumi-shogo girl- and Prof. Kawakami. Well, aside from Ryuji+Mishima lol

ramyeon

I am not saying they should change it now coz I understand those aspects about series history and familiarity for veterans. It's more a comment about that they should have done this when the series was first localised. They could still use the terms from other languages, but should have maintained readability and consistency in prefixes, suffixes, etc.

Lol, y u so mad tho?
This isn't about localization.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Tae does during the part Bright Lava was talking about, not during the part Alpha Dragon was talking about. It should be noted that you don't actually have to be dating them to get the scene during this part btw, as long as the possiblity of dating them is still there. So I was able to have the scene with Star even though we weren't romantic, but not Ann because I had already turned her down.

This is the right answer, sorry I couldn't be clearer BRSx. It's the end of my workday and I can't think anymore.

I both love and hate this game. (Up to palace 7)
The "twists" are predictable as hell (except Akechi's wild card, did not expect that) and even when the game does surprise me by exploding Ryuji...they ruin it by showing he's not dead like 30 seconds later. That would have been perfect...

I believe that in the Devil Survivor games the spells go directly from Normal stage to -Dyne.

Oh, and Wind/Force spells are Zan instead of Garu. That's important to know if you want to delve into the SMT world and start wondering why you're not getting any Wind skills.

This is the right answer, sorry I couldn't be clearer BRSx. It's the end of my workday and I can't think anymore.

Don't you have to get
Kawakami
to a certain Rank for her scene to be unlocked? I believe I didn't get her despite having advanced to at least midpoint in her confidant.

I'm at the point where I've outleveled the strongest normal mobs in the game- ambushing them now would instant kill. But I still have 5 more levels to go before I can summon Lucifer without a crazy fee... and the final boss is right there too...

ramyeon

I believe that in the Devil Survivor games the spells go directly from Normal stage to -Dyne.

Oh, and Wind/Force spells are Zan instead of Garu. That's important to know if you want to delve into the SMT world and start wondering why you're not getting any Wind skills.
Pretty sure Zan is Force in mainline SMT, just sometimes that's visualized as Wind.

Pretty sure Zan is Force in mainline SMT, just sometimes that's visualized as Wind.

Right! that's why I tried to stealth edit after submitting the reply.

I mean, certainly the names can be frustrating at first, but it's part of the charm - especially as it's not as obvious as in other JRPGs (coughDQ and FF cough)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you have to get
Kawakami
to a certain Rank for her scene to be unlocked? I believe I didn't get her despite having advanced to at least midpoint in her confidant.

For which bit?
Hawaii, The School Fair, Christmas or Valentine's Day?

For me, I had her at rank 10 and was given that option at
the school fair, Christmas and she was part of the Valentine's Day massacre, but I don't think she was an option for Hawaii (I might not have ranked her all the way up by then).

Finished my finals so I can finally start playing this. Hope it lives up to P3 and P4.

Side note, Is there a PersonaGAF discord? If so, can I get an invite?

The ma- suffix at the start is probably not a good idea either. Having to scrape for Agi in the middle of the word Maragilao is a poor implementation. Keep Agi first and then add whatever else to it. Same for other stuff like mataru, maraku, etc.
Yeah I was quite annoyed by this while watching a stream, seeing the AoE version of Psio being Mapsio. And I remember I had trouble wrapping my mind around Media being a healing spell in my first SMT game. It's the capitalization in the English language that makes it harder to understand, in Japanese you don't run into that problem.

What if the English names were rendered as MarAgi, MaBufudyne, MeDiarahan etc?

For which bit?
Hawaii, The School Fair, Christmas or Valentine's Day?

For me, I had her at rank 10 and was given that option at
the school fair, Christmas and she was part of the Valentine's Day massacre, but I don't think she was an option for Hawaii (I might not have ranked her all the way up by then).

oh wow
I forgot about the School Festival, that's how relevant it is.

I meant for the Hawaii event, by the time the Fes came I had maxed her so she was an available option.

EDIT: a certain character's scene

ramyeon

Yeah I was quite annoyed by this while watching a stream, seeing the AoE version of Psio being Mapsio. And I remember I had trouble wrapping my mind around Media being a healing spell in my first SMT game. It's the capitalization in the English language that makes it harder to understand, in Japanese you don't run into that problem.

What if the English names were rendered as MarAgi, MaBufudyne, MeDiarahan etc?
I'm not going to lie those look terrible. Not sure why Mapsio is harder to parse than Mabufu etc.

Actually now that I think about it I was wrong earlier, there is not 1 but 2 romance potential party members who also don't have a scene in this part, so I really wouldn't weight this too heavily on whether you should date a party member or not.

Alright, cool - thanks for the advice.

I agree. So many spell cards and I don't know most of them by head. I wish they'd give information on that.
There's a way around this: select the card from the menu and then select a persona. It'll bring up the Persona stat screen. The ability, along with it's info if you press square, will be available in the top right before you confirm.

Zephyx

Don't you have to get
Kawakami

I maxed her rank but didn't get her as a choice. Maybe because I rejected her.

So will I get more Mementos requests even if I'm not completing them? It's raining today (late May) but I only have one request so it feels like a waste to spend a whole day on it.

Opa-Pa

There's a way around this: select the card from the menu and then select a persona. It'll bring up the Persona stat screen. The ability, along with it's info if you press square, will be available in the top right before you confirm.

Does this work at all? I tried to do this last night and it seemed like you could only read the descriptions for the once you already had equipped but not the card one, for some reason.

So will I get more Mementos requests even if I'm not completing them? It's raining today (late May) but I only have one request so it feels like a waste to spend a whole day on it.

I believe some may unlock by completing others, but I've gathered like 9 of them before going to mementos, so yes you get a lot of them without completing others.

I maxed her rank but didn't get her as a choice. Maybe because I rejected her.

Yeah, it seems that if you max their confidant and end as friends then you don't get the option at all.

From what I've seen now, the
School Fes is limited to 4 choices - Ann, Makoto, Haru and Kawakami. Aside from Ryuji+Mishima, of course.

So if you want to feel your monogamous fantasy, then
you can only feel it if you choose Ann, Makoto or Kawakami. Haru and Hifumi have 3 one-on-one scenes each while the rest of girls only have two.

Does this work at all? I tried to do this last night and it seemed like you could only read the descriptions for the once you already had equipped but not the card one, for some reason.

I believe some may unlock by completing others, but I've gathered like 9 of them before going to mementos, so yes you get a lot of them without completing others.
I could've sworn I just tried this today...

After 122 hours I'm finally done I don't know yet where I'd rank it first or second I'll find out after my second playthrough for the platinum the game is definitely my GOTY.

A.J.

Banned
Okay, so it turns out you can miss mementos requests if you don't check a Mishima text by a certain date. This simultaneously locked me out of the request and book trophy.

Ultimadrago

Okay, so it turns out you can miss mementos requests if you don't check a Mishima text by a certain date. This simultaneously locked me out of the request and book trophy.

Aw, that blows. Had no idea and I could see it being really easy to miss.

Top Bottom