• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Yes, this is my first Persona/SMT game, and it's really annoying trying to memorize these. I am sure veterans already have it memorized and now feel it is part of the games, but as a newcomer, this is really annoying. I'm sure I'll learn it eventually.

It's more about learning the naming scheme than the words themselves.

Prefixes:
Ma = All enemies/Allies.

First half:
Ta = Attack
Ra = Defense
Su = Agility/Evasion

Second half:
Runda = Down
Kaja = up

It's similar for attack spells, where suffixes progresses from ga/la to ion to dyne in order of power.

That's a pretty stupid analogy, because Fira and Fire lv2 both convey that it is a fire spell at least. But good luck telling what Tarukaja is if you're not familiar with Japanese terms.

I'm talking about how it's ridiculous to change the names as it takes the flair out of these moves. It would be dumb to turn stuff like Blizzaga into Ice LV3 because while it makes a lot more sense it's also boring. Same goes for this. Sure, it's more complicated but it's not hard to memorize what an ability does and it's not like you don't have a detailed description of what it does when hovering over it.

Exentryk

It's more about learning the naming scheme than the words themselves.

Prefixes:
Ma = All enemies/Allies.

First half:
Ta = Attack
Ra = Defense
Su = Agility/Evasion

Second half:
Runda = Down
Kaja = up

It's similar for attack spells, where suffixes progresses from ga/la to ion to dyne in order of power.

Yeah, I'm slowly picking these up.

Yeah, it's probably a comment for when the series was first localised I guess. Probably too hard to change these terms now.

And no, Tarukaja is terrible as a localised term. Atk Up or some other English word that suggests attack bonus would be better.

Taru - Attack
Raku - Defense
Suku - Accuracy/Evasion (the navi calls it "Speed" sometimes)

Kaja - raise
-nda - decrease

Ma - multiple targets at once

And I believe that's it. The rest of magic spells are quite easy to learn (Agi for fire, Bufu for Ice, Garu for Wind, Zio for electric, Frei for Nuclear damage, Psi for Psychic, Dia for curative, Recarm for Revive, etc.)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they're even japanese words, they're just supposed to sound like obscure spells, I believe.

They have their logic too so you'll eventually learn them and it'll be second nature. For example Taru = Attack, Kaja = Up, Unda = Down, Ma= All. So Tarukaja is Atk Up, Matarunda is Atk down for everyone, etc, etc.

What throws me off is that it's

Agi | Garu | Zio | Bufu

Agilao | Garula | Zionga | Bufula

Agidyne | Garudyne | Ziodyne | Bufudyne

Why are the level 3 spells the same if the level 2 ones aren't?

PInk Tape

Banned
Heal
Big Heal
Full Big Heal

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realization.gif

You know, it's weird, but I never thought about this before. It is indeed pretty damn weird that not even other Megaten games are ever marketed with a focus on the monster catching mechanic, even in trailers it's only mentioned as just another minor feature instead of it being front and center.

The mythological side of MegaTen feels like such a bizarrely marginalized thing. The series (disappointingly) has no equal on that front.

There's one seen where if you are dating a party member there is literally one unique reaction dialogue from that party member, that's about it.

That's it? So there's no additional scenes that dating a party member would get a player that dating a confidant would not?

Exentryk

I'm talking about how it's ridiculous to change the names as it takes the flair out of these moves. It would be dumb to turn stuff like Blizzaga into Ice LV3

The localisation team could have changed these while still keeping the "flair". But I understand it's probably too late to do so for this series now.

Agi | Garu | Zio | Bufu

Agidyne | Garudyne | Zidyne | Bufudyne

The best part is the AOE versions of the Level 2 spells where it's Magarula, Mazionga, Mabufula, and Maragion. The fire one is different for some reason and it's something that changed from Persona 3 to Persona 4 since P3 called it Maragilao

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
That's it? So there's no additional scenes that dating a party member would get a player that dating a confidant would not?

Well there is (Post-End game event spoilers)
Christmas and Valentine's Day. Which you can spend with people you're dating, or Ryuji if you aren't.

The best part is the AOE versions of the Level 2 spells where it's Magarula, Mazionga, Mabufula, and Maragion. The fire one is different for some reason and it's something that changed from Persona 3 to Persona 4 since P3 called it Maragilao

Oh god, I hadn't noticed. How strange.

Opa-Pa

QUE ES FANTOM THIEF

I seriously lost my shit when I read this one lmao.

The localization got a lot of crap (undeservedly so IMO) but goddamn, the phansite comments are just incredible. They actually sound like real stuff rather than what old people think teenagers post online.

im pretty sure its maragion in persona 3 as well

Weiss

Banned

Agi | Garu | Zio | Bufu

Originally in SMT1 and 2 there were no Dyne spells. It wasn't until SMT If... where they were added.

There's one seen where if you are dating a party member there is literally one unique reaction dialogue from that party member, that's about it.

Wouldn't you have extra scenes if you were dating a party member
during the Hawaii trip or the school festival? Because the non-party confidants wouldn't be there.

I know I had scenes with
Ann for both of those incidents on top of the little reaction during the event in December.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Not comfortable with clicking that, lava, but is it an additional scene for party members, or an additional scene for confidants?

Totally fair, I just couldn't figure out how to word it outside of that for the spoiler conscious.

Basically, there are
two additional one on one scenes with people you are dating, that (as far as I know) are not options if you aren't dating them. If you are dating multiple people, you have to make a choose one of them.

the Sun and Fortune confidants just break the game money wise! kinda kicking myself starting these so late but man do they help as Palace 6 to get the best weapon/protecters/gun will cost you ~650,000 yen for all the characters!

A quick Google tells me that majority of the spells in the franchise are basic on Sanskrit. So that's stuff like where your elemental names come from.

Exceptions are stuff like Dia, which is Greek, and Megido from Mount Megiddo. Hama and Mudo are Japanese though.

All of them have some kind of reference though, would not be wise to change them

ramyeon

It's worth noting that a lot of the attack names have their roots in other languages or religions and aren't just gibberish.

Megido comes from Hebrew Har Megiddo, the place where the term Armageddon comes from.

A bunch are derived from Sanskrit too.
A quick Google tells me that majority of the spells in the franchise are basic on Sanskrit. So that's stuff like where your elemental names come from.

Exceptions are stuff like Dia, which is Greek, and Megido from Mount Megiddo. Hama and Mudo are Japanese though.

All of them have some kind of reference though, would not be wise to change them
Lol beat.

Ulong

Totally fair, I just couldn't figure out how to word it outside of that for the spoiler conscious.

Basically, there are
two additional one on one scenes with people you are dating, that (as far as I know) are not options if you aren't dating them. If you are dating multiple people, you have to make a choose one of them.

To answer his question, they are scenes for any confidant you are dating I'm pretty sure.

Wouldn't you have extra scenes if you were dating a party member
during the Hawaii trip or the school festival? Because the non-party confidants wouldn't be there.

I know I had scenes with
Ann for both of those incidents on top of the little reaction during the event in December.

At least two non party confidants still have scenes during
hawaii
, Temperance and Star. I'm unsure about the other event, I was forced to go with
Haru
even though my Slink with her was super low and it did not present the person I was heading towards dating (also a party member) as an option.

I'm fine with the spell localisations--in fact, I like it--I just wish items like spell cards had descriptions for what the spell does.

Ok that isn't actually related to localisation at all, but still...

Agi | Garu | Zio | Bufu

Agila
Garulao
Bufunga

Pick your poison.

Exentryk

The ma- suffix at the start is probably not a good idea either. Having to scrape for Agi in the middle of the word Maragilao is a poor implementation. Keep Agi first and then add whatever else to it. Same for other stuff like mataru, maraku, etc.

But anyway, I just need to deal with it.

In terms of progress, I'm after the 2nd palace, and now waiting for the new target. Already have 4 SP+ accessories, and they made the 2nd palace a breeze. Just created Shiki-Ouji with some neat passives, and now looking forward to destroying the 3rd palace.

Opa-Pa

You know, I've been playing Megaten for more than 10 years now and for some reason I never even bothered looking these up lol. That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing.

cheez124

just completed the 7th palace in one go. those SP adhesives are no joke, lol. all the master coffees i had kawakami make helped too

ramyeon

The ma- suffix at the start is probably not a good idea either. Having to scrape for Agi in the middle of the word Maragilao is a poor implementation. Keep Agi first and then add whatever else to it. Same for other stuff like mataru, maraku, etc.

But anyway, I just need to deal with it.

In terms of progress, I'm after the 2nd palace, and now waiting for the new target. Already have 4 SP+ accessories, and they made the 2nd palace a breeze. Just created Shiki-Ouji with some neat passives, and now looking forward to destroying the 3rd palace.
Yes you just need to deal with it, especially since they even have freaking icons telling you what sort of spell it is in every menu. You do not need to go "scraping" for the word Agi in the middle of Maragion at all.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fine with the spell localisations--in fact, I like it--I just wish items like spell cards had descriptions for what the spell does.

Ok that isn't actually related to localisation at all, but still...

Agila
Garulao
Bufunga

Pick your poison.

Bufunga, for sure.
Does Takemi also have a scene like the Party members do at that part, Ulong?

A simple yes or no would be more than enough, thanks in advance.

Yes

Ulong

Does Takemi also have a scene like the Party members do at that part, Ulong?

A simple yes or no would be more than enough, thanks in advance.

Tae does during the part Bright Lava was talking about, not during the part Alpha Dragon was talking about. It should be noted that you don't actually have to be dating them to get the scene during this part btw, as long as the possiblity of dating them is still there. So I was able to have the scene with Star even though we weren't romantic, but not Ann because I had already turned her down.

ramyeon

Is it? I feel like it was Maragilao when I played P3P but I may be completely nuts. I know it was in some mid-2000s SMT game since it bothered the hell out of me.
I'm pretty sure they changed it to Maragilao in P3P, I feel like it was Maragion in the PS2 versions.

Exentryk

Yes you just need to deal with it, especially since they even have freaking icons telling you what sort of spell it is in every menu. You do not need to go "scraping" for the word Agi in the middle of Maragion at all.

This is fine in the game, but when discussing these outside of the game (like in forums, guides, etc.), it makes it annoying to read and parse, and thus a poor implementation. Also, mataru and maraku stuff don't have differentiating icons, so it doesn't help there even in game.

Ulong

So there is one less scene for confidant romances then.

There is also one party member who doesn't have a scene during this part despite romantic potential, it is worth noting. And as I edited above, this scene assumes you haven't actually gone romantic yet because the scene is an option as long as romance is still an option regardless of whether you are romantic. As in as long as you haven't turned them down yet, you can have the scene even if you haven't started dating.

Top Bottom