• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

duckroll

Palace 5 is amazing in comparison to 3. Seriously fuck 3.

I liked 3 too. In fact, I like pretty much everything in Persona 5. The main weakness in the game is the week or so just before a Palace opens up. Every single time, it feels like a long stretch of powerlessness that is poorly presented. You do something minor every day that's plot related, and get railroaded into Evening, forced to sleep, and it feels really unnatural. Not only do you lose those days in terms of being able to do anything like buy stuff or get the Sunday juice or whatever, but the way it plays out feels very frustrating. It's weird because when you contrast that with the post-Palace events which are like the school trips, or helping Futaba out, it feels so different. In the end you're still losing a bunch of days, but in the post-Palace stuff it feels like you're having a mini-vacation to celebrate, and the activities presented make sense to take up entire days and you'll be tired after that. The pre-Palace stuff tend to feel like filler stuff cut into bitesized chunks to spread over many days, and it never feels like anything significant enough happens to take up an ENTIRE day and night. That's my only complaint about Persona 5 so far. Everything else has been ace.

Zafir

In the end, a lot of the complaints regarding the dungeons comes down to the fact that a lot of people bought Persona 5 without realizing they were buying a game that's 60% dungeon crawler and 40% school life simulator. And turns out that they do not like dungeon crawlers.

Not that there aren't any faults to them, but yeah.

Nah, I don't agree with that.

The fact that most of the complaints are levied towards dungeon 5 and 7, for good reason, tells you that people don't inherently hate dungeon crawling.

Zareka

This games still gonna be in the running for GOTY, but by fuck did they flub the story and pacing. Oh and bizarrely enough, music. It's been the same music all the way through with no shift in atmosphere. "I'M A SHAPESHIFTER" for 100 hours, Zim. A HUNDRED HOURS.

Was the music for school and the rest of Tokyo different at all? Replaying Persona 3 and there's a distinct change whenever you leave Gekkou but I can't remember if that was the case in 5.

The lack of BGM was a bigger sore spot for me in the end than I ever thought it would be.

duckroll

Need more variety in BGM? Please buy these overpriced DLC packs and enjoy unique battle and victory themes as you swap costumes! <3

Lmao.

The Dancing All Night pack was worth every penny.

Opa-Pa

Nah, I don't agree with that.

The fact that most of the complaints are levied towards dungeon 5 and 7, for good reason, tells you that people don't inherently hate dungeon crawling.

I mean yeah, I said that there are faults to them. Personally I enjoyed all of them, but found that both 5 and 7 were one puzzle too long.

Still some players I've seen complaining about literally all of them, in some cases only citing their lenght as a negative. And again, I'm not saying they're all perfect and you cannot dislike them, but at one point you realize that some players would rather just not have dungeons at all.

Dlent

I just thought it was because you don't spend anywhere near as much time wandering the school in this game. No clubs, only a couple social links, and no side quests.

RalchAC

lol.

You monster. Palace 3 was amazing.

Best Palace. It's the one that feels the most like you're a thief in the middle of a heist to me. The password puzzles actually had you thinking and taking notes to solve them. Loved it.

I liked 3 too. In fact, I like pretty much everything in Persona 5. The main weakness in the game is the week or so just before a Palace opens up. Every single time, it feels like a long stretch of powerlessness that is poorly presented. You do something minor every day that's plot related, and get railroaded into Evening, forced to sleep, and it feels really unnatural. Not only do you lose those days in terms of being able to do anything like buy stuff or get the Sunday juice or whatever, but the way it plays out feels very frustrating. It's weird because when you contrast that with the post-Palace events which are like the school trips, or helping Futaba out, it feels so different. In the end you're still losing a bunch of days, but in the post-Palace stuff it feels like you're having a mini-vacation to celebrate, and the activities presented make sense to take up entire days and you'll be tired after that. The pre-Palace stuff tend to feel like filler stuff cut into bitesized chunks to spread over many days, and it never feels like anything significant enough happens to take up an ENTIRE day and night. That's my only complaint about Persona 5 so far. Everything else has been ace.

Yeah, they took the pre-dungeon investigations in Persona 4, made them twice as long and reduced the amount of research.

I wonder if there is a way to mix the calendar thing with a tighter and more focused narrative, that doesn't force you to go through each day to watch small bits of the investigation before you are sent to bed and have another cutscene.

Mariip

I don't get all that palace design hate...sure, they are pretty long but they ARE well designed or at least designed, unlike games like ffxv that have only pretty rooms/caves and monsters you have to beat...Are people really so pissed about doing puzzles that they'd rather go back to p4/3 ramdomly generated puzzles? I thought we would get better than p4 dungeons but i never imagined they would be as good as they got, the palaces are great. My only problem with the dungeon part is that without a save anywhere function, resetting after losing a random battle makes the game really punishing, and the safe rooms sometimes can be pretty far away from each other

Brine

So it seems like I'm gonna max out all my SLs on this first playthrough since the only one remaining is Fool. Only used a response guide too. Surprised actually, it seemed like I was gonna miss like 4 of them. Fortune really came through.

Was the music for school and the rest of Tokyo different at all? Replaying Persona 3 and there's a distinct change whenever you leave Gekkou but I can't remember if that was the case in 5.

The lack of BGM was a bigger sore spot for me in the end than I ever thought it would be.

Kinda surprised P5 isn't getting more flak for this to be honest, that's my biggest flaw with the game so far; Meguro didn't compose as much music as he should have, I feel. P3 and P4 had far more themes (ones for each Season, more exploration music, more end game boss battle themes and more battle music). Heck, for Nocturne and DDS he composed more music for those than he has ever done since (crap loads).

Agreed. Why does I meeting up someone for a bit takes the whole day when I met them early morning? That's BS

LotusHD

Banned
I don't get all that palace design hate...sure, they are pretty long but they ARE well designed or at least designed, unlike games like ffxv that have only pretty rooms/caves and monsters you have to beat...Are people really so pissed about doing puzzles that they'd rather go back to p4/3 ramdomly generated puzzles? I thought we would get better than p4 dungeons but i never imagined they would be as good as they got, the palaces are great. My only problem with the dungeon part is that without a save anywhere function, resetting after losing a random battle makes the game really punishing, and the safe rooms sometimes can be pretty far away from each other

I mean, no one brought up FFXV though...

Bardiche

Currently on
Shido's
palace. Not really getting the hate, but then again, I really liked
Okumura's
palace as well.

I'm surprised by how much I like Ann. I think she is one of the best females in the Persona series, she's up there with Eriko, Maya, and Yukiko.

ShadyK54

In the end, a lot of the complaints regarding the dungeons comes down to the fact that a lot of people bought Persona 5 without realizing they were buying a game that's 60% dungeon crawler and 40% school life simulator. And turns out that they do not like dungeon crawlers.

Not that there aren't any faults to them, but yeah.

The more I think about it, the more I don't hate Palace 5. I think the main reason I said I hated it was because of the fact I blew through it in one in game day. If I had spread it out like I know I should've, I would've liked it more the first time.

Mariip

I mean, no one brought up FFXV though...
I know, it's just that i don't see many(famous) jrpgs with good dungeon design these days, if anyone could recommend me one i'd be glad, persona 5 really gave me something i was craving for a long time
(And ffxv just happened to leave me really dissapointed in that regard, i guess pitioss is well designed but all the dungeons felt like boring monster rooms with corridors to me :/)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

It barely even feels like there are school or city themes. It's just that fucking same track over and over or a instrumental version of it. As a result I don't feel half as connected to the School and Tokyo in 5 as I did to the areas in 3 and 4.

Need more variety in BGM? Please buy these overpriced DLC packs and enjoy unique battle and victory themes as you swap costumes! <3

Lmao.

I've considered this. So I guess thats... good work for nefarious DLC. Does it allow you to set a different track to Mementos? Because fucking hell.

Kinda surprised P5 isn't getting more flak for this to be honest, that's my biggest flaw with the game so far; Meguro didn't compose as much music as he should have, I feel. P3 and P4 had far more themes (ones for each Season, more exploration music, more end game boss battle themes and more battle music). Heck, for Nocturne and DDS he composed more music for those than he has ever done since (crap loads).

Obviously Catherine came in between, as did Golden and all the extra tracks for the Persona 4+3 animes, but fuck me does there barely feel like a finished games suite of music in 5. Not done with the game yet so maybe the "EVERYTHING IS FUCKED" oppressive track is coming, but the music is just barely registering for me at this point.

UGGGGH. I wanted more from you Persona 5 after all this time.

Zareka

I'm kinda surprised they didn't make 2 battle themes a la P4G the standard going forward. As much as I liked Reach Out to the Truth, using Time to Make History on normal encounters really helped keep it from getting stale. And as much as I like Last Surprise, the game is way longer than P4G meaning it got old real fast.

Hell, there's a lot of little ways P5 regressed in regards to P4G. I can sort of give the visual stuff (see: snow in winter) a pass since they had to build everything from scratch, but they got no excuse when it comes to music.

Zareka

It barely even feels like there are school or city themes. It's just that fucking same track over and over or a instrumental version of it. As a result I don't feel half as connected to the School and Tokyo in 5 as I did to the areas in 3 and 4.

Oh for sure. I really felt like I'd lived in Tatsumi Port and Inaba after I finished P3/4 but I barely felt a thing leaving Tokyo in P5. The cafe was cozy I guess but I just did not care about anywhere else.
https://store.iam8bit.com/products/persona-5-vinyl-soundtrack

Off topic but relevant to fans of Persona 5, P5 Vinyl 100 bucks for 4xLP with the popular songs, and 175 for the 6xLP Deluxe Edition that is the full OST. Shit that is steep.
I haven't heard great things about iam8bit.

RPGCrazied

Lmao.

Just don't understand why they couldn't show up everywhere, considering the price. Why just Mementos/Palaces? For that price they should show up in every scene save the anime FMV.

PK Gaming

Obviously Catherine came in between, as did Golden and all the extra tracks for the Persona 4+3 animes, but fuck me does there barely feel like a finished games suite of music in 5. Not done with the game yet so maybe the "EVERYTHING IS FUCKED" oppressive track is coming, but the music is just barely registering for me at this point.

UGGGGH. I wanted more from you Persona 5 after all this time.

Persona 5's OST is actually the biggest in the series. The issue is that the music is spread out unevenly, with most of it being in service to Phantom Thievery. Daily life doesn't get much to work with.

I agree though, P3/P4 had less to work with, but felt more dynamic by changing themes in key areas (ie: the school themes).

October has really soured me on this game. The pacing was pretty shitty before, but essentially an entire locked off to visual novel month is to the point of parody.

For first timers its going to be easy to recommend Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 as far better stories, but going backwards in gameplay improvements will no doubt be a toughie.

This games still gonna be in the running for GOTY, but by fuck did they flub the story and pacing. Oh and bizarrely enough, music. It's been the same music all the way through with no shift in atmosphere. "I'M A SHAPESHIFTER" for 100 hours, Zim. A HUNDRED HOURS.

yeah, close to mid-december at this point, & this game's been very disappointing afa those 2 factors go. i haven't really even cared about the story for the most part, in particular finding the villains to be very mediocre. it's the social links that continue to prop the whole thing up for me, though even they haven't been any more memorable than those from the previous games...

graphically/mechanically, the game's awesome. & i love morgana. but the narrative's been corny/boring as hell :) ...

LotusHD

Banned
I know, it's just that i don't see many(famous) jrpgs with good dungeon design these days, if anyone could recommend me one i'd be glad, persona 5 really gave me something i was craving for a long time

I mean, that's fair, but it kinda comes across as you saying that since P5 is the best or one of the best recent games regarding its dungeon design, it doesn't merit so much (harsh?) criticism. Whereas for me, I can't speak for others, but I don't particularly care if it's significantly better than its contemporaries in this regard, I'm focusing on P5, and regarding P5 there were some things I didn't like about the palaces. Like I certainly like (most of) them overall, but I didn't them to be perfect or anything.

Since it has now...

Pitioss is much better than any P5 dungeon, imo :)

Okay I can't agree with that one lol, I absolutely loathed that dungeon lol

Persona 5's OST is actually the biggest in the series. The issue is that the music is spread out unevenly, with most of it being in service to Phantom Thievery. Daily life doesn't get much to work with.

What? No it isn't.
It's nowhere near P2's OST in terms of music quantity.

P2: Innocent Sin alone has six discs worth of music:
http://vgmdb.net/album/24321

Persona 5 has 3 discs:
http://vgmdb.net/album/63053

There's more ambient/background music in P5 than there was for P3 and P4, I think, but less battle music overall and less exploration music (which I frankly care more about).

NullMoon

Neo Member
Oh for sure. I really felt like I'd lived in Tatsumi Port and Inaba after I finished P3/4 but I barely felt a thing leaving Tokyo in P5. The cafe was cozy I guess but I just did not care about anywhere else.

I haven't heard great things about iam8bit.
Yeah, I'm not 100% familiar with them. Just posting for interested parties. It's too rich for my blood considering the price I wouldn't want to use them.

javadoze

Finished the game finally. While I'm still trying to sum up my thoughts on the game overall, I liked it just as much as Persona 4 (with both games either being better or coming short in certain respects).

The biggest thing I've been thinking about in regards to the endgame though is...
Would it have killed them to give you a couple of weeks between beating Shido's Palace and the endgame with Yalbadoth? The game really need some time to breathe right then and it doesn't help I was so close to maxing Yusuke and Takemi's social links before the end.

Zafir

I'm kinda surprised they didn't make 2 battle themes a la P4G the standard going forward. As much as I liked Reach Out to the Truth, using Time to Make History on normal encounters really helped keep it from getting stale. And as much as I like Last Surprise, the game is way longer than P4G meaning it got old real fast.

Hell, there's a lot of little ways P5 regressed in regards to P4G. I can sort of give the visual stuff (see: snow in winter) a pass since they had to build everything from scratch, but they got no excuse when it comes to music.
In the latter dungeons, basically dungeon 6 onwards, I was wishing the dungeon music kept playing through into the battles.

The dungeon music was fantastic, but Last Surprise had gotten old by that point, so I found myself irritated that the dungeon music kept getting interrupted by it all the time. xD

RPGCrazied

Finished the game finally. While I'm still trying to sum up my thoughts on the game overall, I liked it just as much as Persona 4 (with both games either being better or coming short in certain respects).

The biggest thing I've been thinking about in regards to the endgame though is...
Would it have killed them to give you a couple of weeks between beating Shido's Palace and the endgame with Yalbadoth? The game really need some time to breathe right then and it doesn't help I was so close to maxing Yusuke and Takemi's social links before the end.

My problem with the end is there is no way to regain SP without using SP items, I had none so I went a good chunk with no SP.

RalchAC

I agree though, P3/P4 had less to work with, but felt more dynamic by changing themes in key areas (ie: the school themes).

Yeah, the game actually has quite a big soundtrack in iTunes. 100 songs.

I would have liked a Summer Tokyo theme at least. Beneath the Mask has a melancholic sound to it I really like and would have been a perfect Autumn song imo.

And a special and anime as fuck song for Akihabara. I want to feel embarrassed every time I go there.

I still like the song after 140 hours though.

Bladenic

Lmao.

Running around dungeon 5 clad in Samurai garb for everyone = dope (and also so mismatched with the dungeon itself lmao).

Zafir

My problem with the end is there is no way to regain SP without using SP items, I had none so I went a good chunk with no SP.

Hmm? Dungeon 7 is the usual affair. (End spoilers)
Mementos depths and qliphoth both allow you to restore your SP by talking to Caroline or Lavenza.

PK Gaming

Pound for pound, I think P5 wins in the OST department when compared to the previous Persona games. Last Surprise, Life Will Change, Rivers In The Desert, Awakening, Blooming Villain, Will Power, Tokyo Emergency, Layer Cake... these songs are just way too powerful.

Setsu00

What persona does that come from?

And there is definitely a difficulty spike at the end, I had to turn the game to SAFE to finish.

I think Neko Shogun has it, but there are a couple of ways to get the skill.

I also never had to switch to Safe and never ran out of SP after the initial dungeons.

Top Bottom