• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Zareka

This OST is very forgettable outside of the heist tune

Not bad so much as I can't remember shit

Man. Life Will Change is freaking incredible, but it's relegated to almost entirely uneventful 30 seconds sprints from the closest safe room to the boss room.

P5 should have ditched the calendar system and went with a P2 era design. Coulda got some awesome scripted sequences that made use of the OST.

RPGCrazied

There is actually a way to regain health and SP at the entrance to
both end-game areas

Hmm? Dungeon 7 is the usual affair. (End spoilers)
Mementos depths and qliphoth both allow you to restore your SP by talking to Caroline or Lavenza.

Ooops, I knew about talking to
Lavenza
, I meant before in the
depths of mementos
. Didn't know you could talk to
Caroline
to do the same thing.

Mariip

I mean, that's fair, but it kinda comes across as you saying that since P5 is the best or one of the best recent games regarding its dungeon design, it doesn't merit so much (harsh?) criticism. Whereas for me, I can't speak for others, but I don't particularly care if it's significantly better than its contemporaries in this regard, I'm focusing on P5, and regarding P5 there were some things I didn't like about the palaces. Like I certainly like (most of) them overall, but I didn't them to be perfect or anything.

Okay I can't agree with that one lol, I absolutely loathed that dungeon lol

Yeah yeah the dungeons had some problems and some felt undercooked, the
hamster mazes in palace 7
felt pretty inconsistent, and some short cuts in dungeons were pretty bad positioned, the majority of the problem i had were with the possibility of getting ohko though, because sometimes you had to either do entire floors again or backtrack in the middle of a floor to secure your progress :|

I really believe those dungeons should be finished in 3 days(+2 for the card), but the social link structure won't allow that

Still, i loved most of the palaces in this game and appreciate the effort behind them, i wish this would become the standard for modern jrpgs: unlike having just mindless monster fights you get puzzles and stuff but maybe not requiring skills outside the expected for the game, it gives a nice break, it just needs some polishing

I just made the comparison because not having those factors in mind when making a game is pretty sad, i know battle systems are fun and all but sometimes a puzzle break is what makes a game shine

mdubs

Banned
Pound for pound, I think P5 wins in the OST department when compared to the previous Persona games. Last Surprise, Life Will Change, Rivers In The Desert, Awakening, Blooming Villain, Will Power, Tokyo Emergency, Layer Cake... these songs are just way too powerful.

It's so damn good. Swear To My Bones is one of my favourite tracks ever just for the way it comes in during the perfect moments and ends up being used as a leitmotif. (Final Boss Track)
Yaldabaoth
is fantastic too - the contrast between it's two sort of refrains are fantastic and I think, while not quite being as good as The Battle for Everyone's Souls, is better than the comparable P4 tracks imo.

Life Will Change is probably one of the most memorable theme tracks of any game I've played to me for the way it sums up the identity of this game

Question,

SO when playing New Game +, will my confidant ranks carry over or something? Or do I have to start from scratch with all of them? I don't think I can max them all out in one play through, but I was wondering if I could do half and half, and still get the trophy.

Zafir

I think the earlier dungeons did well with shortcuts. The first dungeon especially, had a lot of shortcuts which seemed useful.

Sadly by the end game they seemed to be an after thought. Dungeon 7 has a lot of shortcuts but I just don't see why you'd ever want to take them. Since it means all the enemies will respawn.

FHIZ

Question,

SO when playing New Game +, will my confidant ranks carry over or something? Or do I have to start from scratch with all of them? I don't think I can max them all out in one play through, but I was wondering if I could do half and half, and still get the trophy.

Confidants, no. Social stats, yes. Having your social stats maxed or close to it will save you a lot of time in NG+ that you can use for maxing all confidants.

Bardiche

Need more variety in BGM? Please buy these overpriced DLC packs and enjoy unique battle and victory themes as you swap costumes! <3

Lmao.

The Dancing All Night pack was worth every penny.

The Persona 2 DLC is completely worth it. Whenever that battle theme kicks in, I remember:

"Being a man means"
"It's Whoop-ass time"
"Grab your asses and run"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

w h a t

I genuinely prefer this ost over nier. Life Will Change, Layer Cake, Butterfly Kiss, a bunch of the dungeons themes (A Woman, The Days When, My Mother Was there, Whims of Fate, Ark...), Last Surpise, Rivers in the Desert (!!!) the only dud on the whole soundtrack to me is the mementos tune.

PK Gaming

Question,

The ranks don't carry over. That said, any of the Confidants you've maxed will give you an item that will carry over to NG+. These items will have a single Confidant ability built into it. ie: Makoto will give you an item that will have her Shadow Factorization ability.

I personally have really enjoyed the soundtrack. Every vocal track is great. Last Surprise is a great battle theme. The vocal version of Beneath the Mask is really nice. Our Beginning is hype as hell. The only song I thought was really weak was the Mementos theme, the rest were either good to great.

Zareka

I feel like the OST as a whole has more enjoyable tracks in comparison to P3 and 4, but they get repetitive quickly and aren't utilised as much as they should be. We hear some tracks far too often and others not nearly often enough.

Edit: I realise that sounds contradictory but when I say repetitive I guess I mean outside of the game. I can sit and listen to the P3 and 4 OSTs to this day and not get tired of them, but while Rivers in the Desert is probably my favourite track in the game it's already starting to sound too familiar.

I feel like the OST as a whole has more enjoyable tracks in comparison to P3 and 4, but they get repetitive quickly and aren't utilised as much as they should be. We hear some tracks far too often and others not nearly often enough.

Eh. P2 is still king for me. That's just personal taste though since I tend to favour games music with huge emphasis on synths. Crazy Party is such a good track. The PSP ports with the rearranged music is my favourite music in the series yet. Overall, I'd say P5 is a good soundtrack but second weakest in the series for me just ahead of P3. Nowhere near my favourite Meguro soundtrack (I much prefer DDS, Devil Summoner series, Nocturne, Catherine and Strange Journey).

w h a t

I genuinely prefer this ost over nier. Life Will Change, Layer Cake, Butterfly Kiss, a bunch of the dungeons themes (A Woman, The Days When, My Mother Was there, Whims of Fate, Ark...), Last Surpise, Rivers in the Desert (!!!) the only dud on the whole soundtrack to me is the mementos tune.

s u n s e t b r i d g e

silva1991

I love the soundtrack, but I'm looking at Nier Automata over here too, and there are some discussions to be had at the end of the year, that's for sure.

I like Nier Automata's, but P5's OST stands out more to me. It's the first game this year that made me look for it's OST on Youtube.

Zareka

Eh. P2 is still king for me. That's just personal taste though since I tend to favour games music with huge emphasis on synths. Crazy Party is such a good track. The PSP ports with the rearranged music is my favourite music in the series yet. Overall, I'd say P5 is a good soundtrack but second weakest in the series for me just ahead of P3. Nowhere near my favourite Meguro soundtrack (I much prefer DDS, Devil Summoner series, Nocturne, Catherine and Strange Journey).

P3 is my personal favourite. I tend not to include 1 and 2 in comparisons purely because I don't have nearly as much exposure to them as I do 3, 4 and 5. I'd still rank P5 pretty low because the highs (save for Life Will Change) don't come close to the highs you find in the other games. It's more consistent in quality is all.

Side note, the track whenever you jump back to Sae after starting a social link sounds like it could've been ripped straight from Catherine, lol.

vypek

I worked on a ton of requests in mementos and one fight I squeezed like 20K from ippon datara. Due to one giving so much then calling a friend when I got greedy and then that one begging for its life too.

I wish asking for money was more consistent to get multiple chances to ask. I like to ask until they are mad for weaker enemies and for stronger ones I ask and then do an all out attack anyways

"Bad luck, running into me."
"Don't underestimate me you ***ing bastard!"
"You better watch your back!"

When's my damn full blown P2 remake.

"You're all under arrest!"
"We'll hear your excuses at the station."
"Can you apply the penal code to demons?"
"K.O!"
"Did I overdo it?"

Hopefully that's one of the Persona projects. Would love to play both parts of P2 in the P5 engine. *sigh* Never going to happen though. :(

GAF

Any tips for someone brand new to the series? I want just a general idea of what to make sure I do/don't miss in this game.

Only about three hours in. Zero experience with Persona or anything related ever, but I'm really enjoying the aesthetics of this one. I'm afraid to read too much, as I want an organic experience (I don't want a gameFAQs on how to navigate every conversation tree, for example). I'd just like general tips. I read to talk to everyone as much as possible, so I'll do that.

Anything else?

For what it's worth, this has already got me hooked. The soundtrack is fantastic and the whole vibe of the game is really really cool. Looking forward to the rest.

StereoVsn

? What's so bad about 3? It has really nice music in both parts and felt relatively short.
I really liked Palaces 3 and 4. I thought they were well designed, the theme was very much in tandem with Phantom Thieves concept and puzzles were fun. Neither dungeon was overly long and didn't require huge amount of backtracking.

Palace 5 was annoying not due to puzzles but rather tedious repetition. If it was a bit more streamlined it would have been fine.

Speaking of annoying. Mementos really need to have more safe rooms. That's the biggest downside.

Finally got the craftworker trophy

Liquid Memory and Red Phosphorus drop rates are garbage.

Just need the compendium trophy, secret boss and ultimate persona one and the platinum will be mine

Zareka

P3 school theme still goes hard as fuck. First semester, not the second semester abomination.

Real talk, FeMC's 2nd semester song Sun is amazing and I don't care what y'all say.

I hope P2 and P3 get remakes at some point. P3 hasn't exactly been passed over but it'd easily be the best modern Persona title for me if the mechanics were brought up to par with P5, or hell even P4G.

P2 is horribly underappreciated and needs to be played by more people but with a battle system that doesn't suck.
GAF

Any tips for someone brand new to the series? I want just a general idea of what to make sure I do/don't miss in this game.

Only about three hours in. Zero experience with Persona or anything related ever, but I'm really enjoying the aesthetics of this one. I'm afraid to read too much, as I want an organic experience (I don't want a gameFAQs on how to navigate every conversation tree, for example). I'd just like general tips. I read to talk to everyone as much as possible, so I'll do that.

Anything else?

For what it's worth, this has already got me hooked. The soundtrack is fantastic and the whole vibe of the game is really really cool. Looking forward to the rest.
The best advice really is not to ask for advice. Persona games are best played blind imo. Make the decisions you want to make and spend time how you feel like it. Going into P5 knowing what I had to do to min/max hurt my experience with it in the long run and made my time in Tokyo feel a lot more gamey when compared to my fresh runs of P3 and 4.

That said, if you're gonna spend time with a social link, bring along a Persona of a matching arcana if you can. It's not hugely important but it lets you accumulate more points with them ergo gaining ranks more quickly. That way you can experience more of them in your playthrough.

FHIZ

GAF

Anything else?

Always make use of your time efficiently. Given the option, you should always be trying to raise your confidants or social stats. I'd look up all the various ways to up your stats, because some give back more than other. Doing activities that either give you very little benefits or non at all (like working out in your room to raise your HP) are not worth it in my opinion. Also, in regards to confidants, if you have a Persona made under the same arcana as the person you're hanging out with, your "best" responses will raise their level by one more note. For example, when you hang out with Tae, who is the death arcana, have a death Persona equipped.

Try and secure the route to the treasure within a day when possible. A couple of the palaces will kick you out for story reasons, but the more days you spend in a castle, the less time you have to do stuff outside. Same with Mementos requests. Tackle those a couple at a time. Getting SP Adhesives from Tae will help you greatly. Ranking her up to 7 will cut her prices in half, making the 3rd SP adhesive 50,000.

Sell all the junk you get in palaces to the Airsoft Shop vendor. Seriously. I played through a good chunk of 4 without knowing about that. Always strapped for cash, it was miserable. Speaking of that vendor, I found that upgrading your melee weapons and armor was way more valuable than guns. Like half way through the game I upgraded everyone's gun, then again at the end.

Don't get too attached to your stock of Personas. You'll run out of space to carry them, and the ones early on mostly suck. Always be fusing. If you find one you really like, you can power it up, but fuse, fuse, fuse. Again, in P4, I didn't know much about that and spent most of the game with the MC's main Persona simply cus I thought he looked cool. Not the best course of action.

Zafir

Real talk, FeMC's 2nd semester song Sun is amazing and I don't care what y'all say.

+1

Perfect track for summer.
P2 is horribly underappreciated and needs to be played by more people but with a battle system that doesn't suck.

I didn't mind the battle system actually, quite liked it.

What killed Eternal Punishment for me when I played it was the encounter rate. I think I put about 10 hours into the game, and I just got sick of how often random encounters would show up. It put me off trying Innocent Sin when it finally came out on PSP.

I think the earlier dungeons did well with shortcuts. The first dungeon especially, had a lot of shortcuts which seemed useful.

Sadly by the end game they seemed to be an after thought. Dungeon 7 has a lot of shortcuts but I just don't see why you'd ever want to take them. Since it means all the enemies will respawn.

yeah, what was up with some dungeons having respawning enemies, & some not?...

not to mention, some areas of dungeon 7 having no enemies, despite having hiding places? :) ...

gun_haver

I got to palace 7 a while ago but I've kind of lost the desire to finish this! Story is just really bad - can't tell how much of it is the localisation and how much is just the story itself, but either way I don't really care what the outcome is.

It's weird, I was pretty excited for this game. Didn't think it would be disappointing in this particular way - as in, like, boring story/flat characters. There are a few decent characters buried underneath the translation but I think the whole episodic Phantom Thieves Talez approach for the most part didn't work. I enjoyed the stories of Palace 1 and 4, but that leaves me with the other 75% of the game, and I haven't really liked much of that.

Spoilers to start of 7th Palace:
I think the big plot dump on 11/20 is what deflated me, because it wasn't good. I felt like nothing interesting had happened in months, but it was okay because there was gonna be good stuff to come, and then it came and it was just an extremely long-winded and contrived bunch of bullshit about how Akechi is a bad guy, which has been obvious since the first moment he appeared, and how we tricked him in some way that doesn't even make sense being charitable to the extremely vague logic of the Metaverse world. Then after 30 minutes of that, there's another 5 minutes where Akechi shows up in Shido's office and they basically just say 'to think we are so evil!!! to think!' (translator uses 'to think' alot) and go over everything bad they ever did and this kind of writing is just the most basic level bad writing I was kind of in disbelief and skipped through it.

I highly doubt the story is going to resolve in a satisfying way because it hasn't been interesting so far. The most they could do is give some of the characters own little arcs nice resolutions, but even then, I don't really feel much for any of them, even the ones who I like.

Hm. Well I guess I want to finish Haru, Futaba and Sojiro's social links.

Fusing personas is still cool though.

Always make use of your time efficiently. Given the option, you should always be trying to raise your confidants or social stats. I'd look up all the various ways to up your stats, because some give back more than other. Doing activities that either give you very little benefits or non at all (like working out in your room to raise your HP) are not worth it in my opinion. Also, in regards to confidants, if you have a Persona made under the same arcana as the person you're hanging out with, your "best" responses will raise their level by one more note. For example, when you hang out with Tae, who is the death arcana, have a death Persona equipped.

Try and secure the route to the treasure within a day when possible. A couple of the palaces will kick you out for story reasons, but the more days you spend in a castle, the less time you have to do stuff outside. Same with Mementos requests. Tackle those a couple at a time. Getting SP Adhesives from Tae will help you greatly. Ranking her up to 7 will cut her prices in half, making the 3rd SP adhesive 50,000.

Sell all the junk you get in palaces to the Airsoft Shop vendor. Seriously. I played through a good chunk of 4 without knowing about that. Always strapped for cash, it was miserable. Speaking of that vendor, I found that upgrading your melee weapons and armor was way more valuable than guns. Like half way through the game I upgraded everyone's gun, then again at the end.

Don't get too attached to your stock of Personas. You'll run out of space to carry them, and the ones early on mostly suck. Always be fusing. If you find one you really like, you can power it up, but fuse, fuse, fuse. Again, in P4, I didn't know much about that and spent most of the game with the MC's main Persona simply cus I thought he looked cool. Not the best course of action.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. I think I catch the drift.

I'm sure more of that will make sense as I get further....

Zafir

yeah, what was up with some dungeons having respawning enemies, & some not?...

not to mention, some areas of dungeon 7 having no enemies, despite having hiding places? :) ...

They'll respawn any time you pass a loading zone basically. In other words if you get a black screen going into an area. The problem with Dungeon 7's
rat hallways
is, there's a lot of random loading zones when you pass through doors. I can only imagine this happened because it was originally made for PS3, and the PS3 couldn't handle the entire area being loaded.

I think it's what makes the sections seem worse than they actually are, really.

Zareka

What killed Eternal Punishment for me when I played it was the encounter rate. I think I put about 10 hours into the game, and I just got sick of how often random encounters would show up. It put me off trying Innocent Sin when it finally came out on PSP.

That and the god awful card collecting system for fusions. I finished IS, loved it, tried to play EP PS1 and got stuck before a boss because my personae were terrible. I circled the outside room for maybe an hour? trying to collect certain cards and good god. It's just not fun.

Opa-Pa

If we're talking underappreciated, Persona 1 suffers way more from this. The game is far more fun to play than both P2 games, and its story and characters are actually pretty important to P2, and yet nobody ever suggests it to newcomers, only 2.

If there's someone I'd like to care about P2 more it's Atlus, would it really kill them to put at least one character from it in crossovers? Throw us a bone!

But as far as players not caring about P2... I dunno, they're technically pretty bad games that happen to have fantastic characters, stories and music. I mean, slow uninteresting combat + big dungeons + VERY HIGH encounter rate + godawful and grindy persona making method = Not a good time.

Bladenic

So I'm at the end of October and I find myself really only liking Makoto and Futaba. Ann is pretty cool but she's been highly ancillary, it began with Mako-chan's joining. Ryuji's still a screaming idiot, Morgana is highly disappointing for a thieving cat, Yusuke has his quirks and funny lines but is otherwise bland, and Haru is too new but I can't stay I'm drawn to her. P3 and P4 had more than two characters I liked, and I recall those games having better group sessions.

Like the school trip was literally nothing but "Phantom Thieves" the entire time.

I remember how awesome I thought Haru would be based on a trailer from like last year ago when I saw her All-Out Attack finishing pose. That's still dope but how disappointing that it's attached to her.

Nah man, the OST is highly entertaining and I very much enjoy listening to most songs outside of the game. All the palace songs are great, the Tokyo walkaround tunes are good, battle themes... everything!

I haven't heard this good a soundtrack in years actually!

Nah man, the OST is highly entertaining and I very much enjoy listening to most songs outside of the game. All the palace songs are great, the Tokyo walkaround tunes are good, battle themes... everything!

I haven't heard this good a soundtrack in years actually!

Best OST for me since Tropical Freeze, easily.

Shoutouts to the cutscene/dialogue themes. Alleycat and Sunset Bridge (da real GOAT you guys be sleepin') bring the feels like crazy. edit - Confession/Secret too fuckkkk

zulux21

Man. Life Will Change is freaking incredible, but it's relegated to almost entirely uneventful 30 seconds sprints from the closest safe room to the boss room.

P5 should have ditched the calendar system and went with a P2 era design. Coulda got some awesome scripted sequences that made use of the OST.

what kind of monster sprints to that song?

you are clearly supposed to walk to that song to show how much of a bad ass you are.

If we're talking underappreciated, Persona 1 suffers way more from this. The game is far more fun to play than both P2 games, and its story and characters are actually pretty important to P2, and yet nobody ever suggests it to newcomers, only 2.

If there's someone I'd like to care about P2 more it's Atlus, would it really kill them to put at least one character from it in crossovers? Throw us a bone!

But as far as players not caring about P2... I dunno, they're technically pretty bad games that happen to have fantastic characters, stories and music. I mean, slow uninteresting combat + big dungeons + VERY HIGH encounter rate + godawful and grindy persona making method = Not a good time.

One of these days someone needs to just spoil the story of Eternal Punishment for me. I've tried to play it a few times, but I've had saves get deleted twice due to faulty hardware, and so much time has passed at this point I feel like eI would need to replay Innocent Sin now.

And, if someone is saying the story in Innocent Sin is great, then I have a bridge to nowhere to sell them.

Back to Persona 5, I'm gearing up for Palace 5 at the moment. I'm starting to get a bit burned out.

Edit: New party member's voice is terrible.

Top Bottom