• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

duckroll

I'd too personally like to see persona in a more college or even adult world setting. but given who they market the game towards in japan, it seems very unlikely.

I don't really feel like a setting change is a big change though if you still have the social link/social stat/dungeon crawl gameplay though.

I actually don't. I've said this a lot over the years. And I don't think my opinion ten years ago and now have changed at all. Persona as a brand is very much about the juvenile counter culture in Japan. That's not to say you can't take some of the things Persona does and apply it to a different setting with more adult characters. Hashino did just that with Catherine, and it's a very different game. It's just not Persona, and everyone knows it.

Opa-Pa

I fell like they're perfect for each other. Socially awkward teenaged shut-ins who October Spoilers
had their moms taken from them at a young age.
Some may not agree with me, but I like how sometimes in Persona
they kinda plant seeds for the possibility for the relationships of other characters that don't necessarily involve you.

Another thing I hate about the "focus" on romance is that ultimately it eliminates any chances of two of your teammates being in a relationship, because naturally, all the girls are meant for the MC.

Also having every woman fall for you at the end of the social links is super awkward. How they haven't implemented the female route's flag system from P3P as the standard by this point is beyond me. I just wanna be friends without any uncomfortable "rejecting" scenes lol.

Another thing I hate about the "focus" on romance is that ultimately it eliminates any chances of two of your teammates being in a relationship, because naturally, all the girls are meant for the MC.
It doesnt eliminate that though, its just that Persona doesnt bother to write around the possibility. In Mass Effect 3 Tali and Garrus hook up as long as the player doesnt get with either of them

So I beat the final dungeon two days ago and put it down since it seemed to keep on going. I'm pretty sure I just need a little bit more since it is already halfway through December. Really enjoyed my time with the game, but man, is it overly long. It seems like the later second half dragged on way too much.

Opa-Pa

Oh I know it's technically not impossible for them, but they still refuse to make SLs have significant impacts on the plot, so I assume it's impossible to get both without them finally tweaking those glaring flaws.

zulux21

So I beat the final dungeon two days ago and put it down since it seemed to keep on going. I'm pretty sure I just need a little bit more since it is already halfway through December. Really enjoyed my time with the game, but man, is it overly long. It seems like the later second half dragged on way too much.

you only have like...

10 hours to go.

>.>

When is the last moment you can fuse Personas and Level and all that? I'm on 12/24 in
The Depths of Mementos: Shrine, right before what the game seems to be indicating is the run up to a boss. Now, I'm certain this boss is not the final boss, but will I be doing more dungeon crawling after this or is it battle(s) -> story sequence -> battle(s) -> story sequence until the end?

zulux21

When is the last moment you can fuse Personas and Level and all that? I'm on 12/24 in
The Depths of Mementos: Shrine, right before what the game seems to be indicating is the run up to a boss. Now, I'm certain this boss is not the final boss, but will I be doing more dungeon crawling after this or is it battle(s) -> story sequence -> battle(s) -> story sequence until the end?

i believe the game literally says...

this is your final battle when you get to the last point.

if you continue on you can't fuse anymore if you backtrack you can.

since I don't think I was clear enough...

there is a bit more dungeon crawl after this not final boss you are on.

Opa-Pa

After that boss you're taken to a new map that's the real final stretch. You can still heal, fuse, and grind there. Lots of good exp to be gained.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Also, I want to say I SO agree about the problem with both teammate romances and main narrative/Confidant integration.

I really, really thought that (before they totally flattened out their characters) that you could play a part in getting Ann and Ryuji together. It became clear very quickly that it was the same ol' "everyone is chaste and alone until you rescue them with love" stuff from 4.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Persona has three things keeping it at a school setting that will likely make it so this doesn't change.

1. Young demographic playing that is still in School

2. Older demographic playing that wants to live out an ideal high school life.

3. A school year creates a more rigid schedule that is easy build around.

Imagine a Persona where you are an office worker lol. Even college doesn't fit since in Japan general nostalgia is set around High School. College over there is a bit different.

ramyeon

Persona has three things keeping it at a school setting that will likely make it so this doesn't change.

Imagine a Persona where you are an office worker lol. Even college doesn't fit since in Japan general nostalgia is set around High School. College over there is a bit different.
I think they could do something really interesting thematically with an office worker setting. It won't happen though.

Imagine a Persona where you are an office worker lol. Even College doesn't fit since in Japan general nostalgia is set around High School. College over there is a bit different.

Which is why Persona should be a genre that developers across the world develop new culturally personal titles in. It's one of those games that is the only kind in its sub-genre so you are forced to take the good with the bad.

I want so badly to make an indie Persona-like set in the States that improves at least upon the shortcomings of P5 (if falling short in every single other area hahaha).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, the DLCs for this game are everything that is bad about videogame DLCs mixed together...

Abominous (lol) price for what is offered, lazy implementations (not even a portrait change), items (or rather, Personas) that break the game, giving DLC buyers game stuff that can't be gotten through normal means in the game (spellmaster skill card)... etc... etc....

Sad.

And yet people still throw money at it :(

Which is why Persona should be a genre that developers across the world develop new culturally personal titles in. It's one of those games that is the only kind in its sub-genre so you are forced to take the good with the bad.

I want so badly to make an indie Persona-like set in the States that improves at least upon the shortcomings of P5 (if falling short in every single other area hahaha).

One of Persona's biggest strengths is how unashamedly Japanese it is. If you took that away, you took away a large identity that makes Persona games, Persona.

zulux21

Are you serious?!

Lol, wow.

for the most part...

in fact

it might take longer. you have quite a bit of dungeon crawling and story left to go through. though I found it to be really fun story.

Man, the DLCs for this game are everything that is bad about videogame DLCs mixed together...

Abominous (lol) price for what is offered, lazy implementations (not even a portrait change), items (or rather, Personas) that break the game, giving DLC buyers game stuff that can't be gotten through normal means in the game (spellmaster skill card)... etc... etc....

Sad.

the dlc isn't very interesting... I still threw money at it... you know why?
I have 85 hours played to completion.
my wife will have 125 hours.
that is 200 hours between us.... aka I want to support atlus more by giving them some more money.

Opa-Pa

The game was pushing RyujixAnn so hard near the end, I almost assumed they'd end up together until I remembered this is modern Persona.

A shame because it'd have made some of their awkward interactions worth it and make more sense.

Makes me wonder how Hashino would have pulled off the initial P5 global backpacking adventure concept if he stuck with it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
the dlc isn't very interesting... I still threw money at it... you know why?
I have 85 hours played to completion.
my wife will have 125 hours.
that is 200 hours between us.... aka I want to support atlus more by giving them some more money.

Well I suppose that's one way of putting it, to justify spending money towards overpriced DLCs with little value...

PK Gaming

The game was pushing RyujixAnn so hard near the end, I almost assumed they'd end up together until I remembered this is modern Persona.

A shame because it'd have made some of their awkward interactions worth it and make more sense.

To be fair, party members were never paired off with each other in Persona 1/2 either.

Hell, P1/P2 had the "everyone is in love with the protagonist" thing.
Guys included.

zulux21

ann shouldn't have been romancable and yusuke should have been >.>

Well I suppose that's one way of putting it, to justify spending money towards overpriced DLCs with little value...

I still didn't buy the costumes... I could justify the personas with that... but not the costumes that don't do anything.

Regarding point 3: does Persona even need a calendar system? "Think about it. I haven't."

And, for points 1 and 2: Let a teacher be a party member. Let a former graduated student be a party member. Now you can have generational perspective and not just that between ages 14-17.

ann shouldn't have been romancable and yusuke should have been >.>

He should have been just so I could turn his weird, boring ass down.

RDreamer

I actually think Palace 7 might be my favorite in the game. It felt meaty. It was a bit more puzzle oriented so it didn't just feel like going where the game told me to go. It had some nicer mini-boss type fights, and then multi-tiered actual boss fights. Felt like what I liked about SMT IV and IV:A.

enoki

Does anyone have a decent quality photo of the team as mice? I've tried to capture my own or find one, and no dice.

I have pet rats, and I'd like to use one for an avatar. ;)

Sad.

One of Persona's biggest strengths is how unashamedly Japanese it is. If you took that away, you took away a large identity that makes Persona games, Persona.

That's why I'm not suggesting the end of Persona, I'm suggesting the blossoming of a subgenre that explores different cultures around the world.

zulux21

anyone have the imagines of some of haru's darker lines

about wanting to hurt things and what not?

my wife doesn't believe me that she has a dark side.

Guess Who

Banned
anyone have the imagines of some of haru's darker lines

about wanting to hurt things and what not?

my wife doesn't believe me that she has a dark side.

4pPayTN.jpg

jGqYTeX.png

Zephyx

94 hours in @ 12/9, currently crawling through Mementos to finish the new section. I still haven't started exploring the palace at this stage and I'm planning to do it on the next day.

I think I'm not gonna max all the confidants in this playthrough since I have a few more:

Tower - 4
Chariot - 4
Lovers- 8
Hanged Man - 4
Emperor - 5
Devil- 7

The others are story driven so I guess I need to finish the dungeon to max them.

Compared to other Personas, I'm in a good shape since I maxed a lot of them. I only romanced Haru but I almost reloaded my save when I saw Futaba's rejection scene. I deserved that fatal attack.

elcapitan

One change that would instantly rejuvenate the series for me would be voiced dialogue for the MC. Even if that was the only change for the eventual P5: Crimson, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I hope that the silent protagonist from out of town isn't some sort of inviolable pillar of the Persona DNA because it's getting old.

Perineum

Anyone have the pic of the Persona in the near end of the game that is a giant penis head tentacle monster in a chariot or some shit?

I mean come on... that thing is clearly a dick for a head. Not even subtle.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone have the pic of the Persona in the near end of the game that is a giant penis head tentacle monster in a chariot or some shit?

Simply google Mara from Persona.

He's a staple of every Persona game.

zulux21

just turn off safe search and type in "Mara Persona" :p

The throbbing king of something it's called lol I believe it's been in other games.

Perineum

Simply google Mara from Persona.

He's a staple of every Persona game.

That's the one. His name was eluding me.

I bring it up because people were mentioning how good all the Persona's look in P5 to finally be able to see them in HD glory.

Mara however in HD glory is the stuff of nightmares... ; ;

It's a shame they didn't bother voicing (late 12/24 spoilers)
the prison cell monologues for your teammates.
A genuine shame.

I can't imagine being creative director of this game and deeming those moments acceptable without voice acting, budget be damned.

ramyeon

I want to buy one of the DLCs but I can only buy one - the struggle is real. Any recomendations?
Dancing All Night if you want some original costumes which are all unique from one another. Otherwise just choose the game you like most. If I had to pick one I would get P2 personally.

duckroll

I want to buy one of the DLCs but I can only buy one - the struggle is real. Any recomendations?

What sort of preference do you have? Do you like your party to all wear themed clothing like uniforms, or do you want unique outfits for each? Do you prefer colorful outfits or fashionable outfits? How important is Morgana's appearance to you and what would you want him to look like the most? Does the ability of the bonus accessory matter to you? What's your favorite Atlus soundtrack?

Based on these answers it will be very easy to narrow down a single recommendation.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

If you want to build a strong Persona line-up, then Tsukiyomi Picaro is the one that you want since it's the only way right now to have Spellmaster skill card (itemize it), just to make it easier to spread what is quite possibly the best passive skill around your Personas.

Perineum

Save your money and get that statute linked above instead.

I know it's a hard sell, but it's a long investment you can erect in your home with a thick pride to anyone who comes to see it.

Top Bottom