• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Yeah go on, tell me more. Where are these great JRPGs which are just like Persona 2? I wanna add them to my backlog.
I havent played the game, only watched a bit of lets play. So i cant say with confidence much about it. But from that short time it didnt seem to be much different than other dungeon heavy JRPGs. So what makes it unique

duckroll

Something that is also grating on me and has for most of the game is how everyone has to chime in during a text conversation.

Kid 1: Hey, Kid 6, what do you know about hot dogs?
Kid 2: Yes, I also want to know what you know about hot dogs?
Kid 3: Hot dogs?
Kid 4: Yeah, spill the beans on hot dogs!
Kid 5: Are you saying you know lots about hot dogs?
Kid 6: Yes, I like hot dogs.

It's just one of those bad writing things that bothers me because they assume everyone wants their favorite character to say something, so they make everyone say pretty much the same thing or get a chance to speak. And, it makes these phone conversations long and repetitive.

(I just had a conversation like this happen where everyone asked the same character the same question in turn).

That's a funny point because I noticed a few text chains lately where someone actually didn't chime in, and they immediately go "Huh where's xxxx?" and they either assume the person overslept, or the person chimes in at the end and goes "oh sorry didn't read, my bad!"

I hate clingy friends! Lol.

Finished the game at 80:15 far as hours and minutes go. It's probably my favorite of the Persona games I've played (P3P and P4G are the only ones I've played besides P5). One of my potential GOTYs along with Breath of the Wild, NieR: Automata and Yakuza 0 out of what I've played this year. I'll get to NG+ at some point, but I don't feel like I absolutely want to immediately.

Ill just maintain the assumptions then since you refuse to answer.

And I know about the rumor thing a bit

Persona 2 is a game where you can spread rumors to influence shops, what times they carry, and prices. You can spread rumors and find rumors from people in the game. It's also very archaic at this point with random battles, high encounter rates, and a really stupid story that people like to call serious or something (again, I never finished Eternal Punishment because I kept losing my saves due to faulty hardware) but Innocent Sin is dumb and has the worst excesses of plot stuffing that is epidemic from RPGs of that time period. I could also go on about how stupid the story is, but I'd have to invoke Godwin's Law to do so..... hint.

There are people who really like Persona 2, and they're probably the same people who will go to bat for Bob Dylan's acoustic work and yell that he sold out when he went electric :p

(there are actually good and interesting things in Persona 2, but a lot of the writing is simplified, the battle system, negotiations, and encounter rate are terrible, there's timed sections that aren't fun, and the story is stupid and nuts in Innocent Sin that distracts from otherwise good things at times)

Edit: I just looked and it took me three hours to get from mid
October
to the end of the month, and almost all of that was automated story stuff with limited interaction from me, so that's why I think the pacing is all over in this game because that shouldn't be happening this late in the game. In the beginning to set things up? Sure. But, I don't need massive story dumps this late with me as a player doing almost nothing.

Astral

Something that is also grating on me and has for most of the game is how everyone has to chime in during a text conversation.

It's just one of those bad writing things that bothers me because they assume everyone wants their favorite character to say something, so they make everyone say pretty much the same thing or get a chance to speak. And, it makes these phone conversations long and repetitive.

(I just had a conversation like this happen where everyone asked the same character the same question in turn).

I noticed this too and I appreciated every time it didn't happen.

PK Gaming

Counterpoint:

We get everyone's point of view on a specific topic, instead of characters staying quiet and letting Naoto exposit everything to the player like in P4. They feel more involved.

Counterpoint 2:

C9hp4YUU0AAIFN7.jpg

Astral

So I'm in 12/24, the
Depths of Mementos.
Is this the final dungeon? I forgot to buy supplies. I'm not screwed am I?

Opa-Pa

Counterpoint:

We get everyone's point of view on a specific topic, instead of characters staying quiet and letting Naoto exposit everything to the player like in P4. They feel more involved.

Counterpoint 2:

C9hp4YUU0AAIFN7.jpg

All lf this. Like alright you guys hate the text chains very much, cool. I love the hell out of seeing everyone interacting and seeing them give their input on everything, because I like the characters.

---

For some salty food.

ShadyK54

All lf this. Like alright you guys hate the text chains very much, cool. I love the hell out of seeing everyone interacting and seeing them give their input on everything, because I like the characters.

---

For some salty food.

Yeah, same here. Wouldn't have some great back and forths between Yusuke and Futaba if the texting wasn't present.

Yeah, same here. Wouldn't have some great back and forths between Yusuke and Futaba if the texting wasn't present.

The back and forths are great! I'm specifically complaining about the extreme repetition at times and, again, at times how they all chime in with the same comment in seemingly order, but in their "unique" flavor as if to give the fans their own satisfaction by having to read a comment by their favorite character.

If I am going to level a bigger criticism against the phone texts, it's that I think the font is a bit too small and as someone who is colorblind the character backgrounds more distinct.

Splinter

Do my answers to Sae's (the lawyer or whatever she is) questions matter? Should I answer honestly, plead the fifth, or just "........" most of the time. I don't know anything about her at this point. (Just finished exams)

Opa-Pa

Seeing Yusuke and Futaba interact gives me life, they're the best duo in the game.

Also, anybody has that screenshot of Yusuke and Joker posing at the church someone shared earlier in the thread? I forgot to save it :(

PixelatedBookake

Yeeeee. Time for the final push and I'm finally done with this long ass game.

Cute OTP.

I fell like they're perfect for each other. Socially awkward teenaged shut-ins who October Spoilers
had their moms taken from them at a young age.
Some may not agree with me, but I like how sometimes in Persona
they kinda plant seeds for the possibility for the relationships of other characters that don't necessarily involve you.

Splinter

According to the save file I'm 29 hours in, just finished the exams, haven't even started the second palace (going to the art exhibit tomorrow). Is this progression time pretty normal? I've read the game is 80-100 hours but I feel like I've been slow. My true playtime is probably around 25 hours considering I've fallen asleep while playing a few times haha.

zulux21

This is exactly how I thought a few years ago when people entertained Persona 5 being a P2 > P3 style shift for the series.

Now? In a post Breath of the Wild world, I just can't think the same. Sure, the idea of the series changing too much makes me feel a little uneasy, but there's also the possibility that the shake up could be just as good as the current formula, or even better.

I don't think BOTW is better than the previous Zelda structure, but it's absolutely fantastic in its own way while simultaneously being the shot in the arm the series needed. Classic Zelda wasn't bad, just stale, and I personally feel like the Persona formula started feeling that way as I was playing 5.

If they tried something new with P6 and it worked, they'd have two formulas they could alternate between. Then we not only have the brilliant, consistently high quality series we have now but the potential for interesting ideas within the series potentially doubles. I understand the "try a spin off" argument but you risk ideas falling short due to restrained budget that way. They'd never give the same resources to a spin off even if they wanted to treat it like a mainline title.
In a post BOTW world I fear my franchises getting the same treatment and resulting in me likely dropping the franchise for good as clearly despite my dislike for BOTW the future zelda games will likely be like it for a while so instantly one of my favorite franchises is dead to me.

would rather that not happen to persona as well.

that being said...

Personally I don't think the number matters. Whether it's Persona 5, 6, 7, a reboot, or whatever. How I feel is that if there's a team who has always worked on this Persona formula and like to continue expanding and evolving it, that's fine. But at some point the people who made Persona as it is now will want to move on. When that happens and there is an opportunity for a fresh new perspective on what Persona can be, why not? Is there any reason not to let new leads decide how the series show be for future generations? Why should they stick to the formula which was established before them? Persona 3 is very different from the 3 Persona games before it. Now we've had 3 Persona games in the new formula. Hashino and many of the Persona leads are working on a fantasy RPG next. If someone else can step it up and provide a new vision for the franchise, we should welcome it.

See this argument I can understand, especially since in persona's case it's clear the leads want to do other projects. But change for the sake of change just isn't great, especially when persona is one of the last well made turn based JRPG franchises out there.

we all know full well if they make a big change it will be to real time combat. Doesn't mean it will be bad, but I really enjoy the tactical stuff related to the turn based combat in the persona games as well as the blend of social life visual novel stuff vs standard jrpg goodness.

raveking

Banned
I am at the
7th palace and I don't get what's the complaints about, I was expecting something like Ch. 13 from FFXV kind of bad, but the mouse game is pretty fun!It also helps that I'm level 76 thanks to the Reaper trick lmaoo...xD

In a post BOTW world I fear my franchises getting the same treatment and resulting in me likely dropping the franchise for good as clearly despite my dislike for BOTW the future zelda games will likely be like it for a while so instantly one of my favorite franchises is dead to me.
BOTW is my least favorite zelda. I enjoyed it overall but would not be able to play another zelda with that structure. FFXV is by far the worst FF.

Fear of franchise change is pretty strong for me as well

zulux21

I am at the
7th palace and I don't get what's the complaints about, I was expecting something like Ch. 13 from FFXV kind of bad, but the mouse game is pretty fun!It also helps that I'm level 76 thanks to the Reaper trick lmaoo...xD

the main gripe would be...

with a 100 hour game there isn't a good reason at all to pad out that dungeon with the same long puzzle over and over.

BOTW is my least favorite zelda. I enjoyed it overall but would not be able to play another zelda with that structure. FFXV is by far the worst FF.

Fear of franchise change is pretty strong for me as well

I still haven't decided if BOTW or skyward sword is my least favorite.
skyward sword suffered from really bad control design that just ruins the game, and annoying fetch quests, but if it wasn't for the controls I likely would have enjoyed it.
BOTW I have actively disliked. I just don't get how it is fun for people to explore in a game that actively seems to punish you for exploring by constantly breaking your weapons and giving your the climb speed of a snail. (I had other issues with it as well but those were the main ones)

for me FF15 was at least a step up from ff13 which is the FF game I feel has the worst combat system by far, and in general I am hard pressed to think of a combat system design that I liked less than ff13 aside from hyperdimension neptunia's stupid design to only allow you to heal in battle @_@.

I understand that a spin off of persona wouldn't get as much of a budget, but I would much rather them experiment with that first and have any growing pains to a franchise change there first so I know I will enjoy the high budget persona 6.

at the very least though it seems very unlikely persona 6 will have a huge shake up.

ramyeon

I am at the
I had fun with that mechanic and didn't find it as long or annoying as some.

PixelatedBookake

would rather that not happen to persona as well.

that being said...

See this argument I can understand, especially since in persona's case it's clear the leads want to do other projects. But change for the sake of change just isn't great, especially when persona is one of the last well made turn based JRPG franchises out there.

we all know full well if they make a big change it will be to real time combat.

Personally I'm open to a change in the formula due to the past 3 games having the high school setting but I feel as if when Persona 6 or whatever finally comes out, they'll try not to deviate too far from the Hashino-style that Persona has become famous for.

Just give me a college Persona game Atlus. Having played P3 & P4 in high school and enjoyed entertaining the thought of myself one day being as cool as Yu Narukami, I want to have a similar feeling like that with a Persona game with a college setting.

zulux21

Personally I'm open to a change in the formula due to the past 3 games having the high school setting but I feel as if when Persona 6 or whatever finally comes out, they'll try not to deviate too far from the Hashino-style that Persona has become famous for.

Just give me a college Persona game Atlus. Having played P3 & P4 in high school and enjoyed entertaining the thought of myself one day being as cool as Yu Narukami, I want to have a similar feeling like that with a Persona game with a college setting.

I'd too personally like to see persona in a more college or even adult world setting. but given who they market the game towards in japan, it seems very unlikely.

I don't really feel like a setting change is a big change though if you still have the social link/social stat/dungeon crawl gameplay though.

it's why I don't really feel like sun and moon really changed anything.
yes technically I am not going after gyms, but I am still having to run around and do a ton of mini quests to unlock the ability to challenge a leader so I can eventually take on even more powerful people. It's still the same general structure.

Top Bottom