• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Astral

Why is Recarmdra on a boss a thing? These fucking
Angels
have healed
Michael
three times already all because one survives with a silver of health.

Mothman91

Finally up to the present and it tells me I should save because the story is gonna change fast or something.

Is there anything I gotta worry about like P4 with true endings etc?

Astral

So I'm right before the final boss. Now I'm wondering if I should fuse some ridiculously powerful Persona like Lucifer and shit/get all the best weapons, or leave that shit for NG+ and actually make the final boss a challenge.

Rizzi

So I'm right before the final boss. Now I'm wondering if I should fuse some ridiculously powerful Persona like Lucifer and shit/get all the best weapons, or leave that shit for NG+ and actually make the final boss a challenge.

Summon the biggest baddest motherfuckers you can.

StMeph

The Personas that clock in at level 90+ aren't that great because their stats are basically set in stone at relatively meh levels. Plus none of your Personas carry over into NG+ while money does, so I would stay lean and just fuse whatever you think you'll use and keep the rest in your wallet for NG+.

Astral

Summon the biggest baddest motherfuckers you can.

The Personas that clock in at level 90+ aren't that great because their stats are basically set in stone at relatively meh levels. Plus none of your Personas carry over into NG+ while money does, so I would stay lean and just fuse whatever you think you'll use and keep the rest in your wallet for NG+.

Yeah I'm going back and recruiting all the roaming demons in the dungeon and then fusing whatever I can. After that I'll fight the boss. I'm assuming the compendium carries over like always so that's really I need.

Actually, I should probably at least fuse Yoshitsune and absolutely break NG+.

Are ya fucking serious, the huge cutscene with the news and it's not subbed.
Are you fucking serious Atlas.....

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. They proclaimed P5 would be their new gold standard of localization, but its their worst job yet.

I was rather disappointed with this & multiple other areas - hopefully the handheld version fixes them.

Balphon

Treasure Demons make pretty good accessories, but outside of that most of the useful ones aren't available until endgame to get ultimate weapons/guns or higher-tier skill cards.

Ame-no-Uzume transmutes into a pretty good weapon for Yusuke, but that's about it outside of late-game personas.

Guess Who

Banned
Why is Recarmdra on a boss a thing? These fucking
Angels
have healed
Michael
three times already all because one survives with a silver of health.

The Angels are weak to Curse. Mamudoon can usually one-shot both in one go.

EDIT: Ah, sounds like you already got past this.

Astral

The Angels are weak to Curse. Mamudoon can usually one-shot both in one go.

EDIT: Ah, sounds like you already got past this.

Yeah I got through it thanks to Futaba charging me up twice. I didn't have anyone with any Mudo spell and there was no way I was gonna run back and get someone who did. I had to settle for Eigaon.

RalchAC

Persona 5's day to day music is for the most part fucking excellent, same with the dungeon tracks and last surprise is obviously phenomenal. Those are places where the sound track excels like crazy, almost every song used for just random background activities is great.

The problem is the OST could never quite deliver the same emotional punch for major moments that OSTs from past games did, but again that's purely from my taste.

I've giving a look to the P4G soundtrack and IIRC, there were different day to day themes for each season and a different one during evenings?

I can remember at least that there was Hearbeat, Hearbreak (Spring-Summer), and Snowflakes (Late Autumn-Winter?) and A Sky Full of Stars during the Evening. There may be more.

While P5 only has Beneath the Mask (it has a normal version, its instrumental, a rain version and the rain version instrumental). Even if they didn't want to change the theme in the middle of the game, I think it'd have been a good idea to have a more upbear jazzy tune for Leblanc and Beneath the Mask outside.

Maybe the problem isn't that they don't have enough songs, but the fact that they've used some for stuff that seems rather trivial. For example, the Consultory, the Weapon Dealer, Big Bang Burger or Demon Negotiation have their own songs, eventhough you're probably expending much more time at Leblanc that doing any of those.

As much as I like The Whims of Fate, and Palace 4 song, I think Heaven is still the best dungeon tune. Whenever I hear it it gives me so many feels.

gun_haver

I think there are a lot of really cool songs in the P5 OST, but the good ones don't play enough, and the bland ones play too much.

All of the social life songs except for Beneath the Mask are actually kind of annoying more than anything else after the 10th time you hear them, and you'll be hearing them about 200 times each. Beneath the Mask also completely loses its appeal because it is ALWAYS PLAYING and is actually a very repetitive song itself! It's basically one piano line that last about 60 seconds repeating over a simple chord progression, and yeah I'm pretty sick of it after 100 hours with the game.

Music's a mixed bag. I think a lot of it is really great, but it's implemented in weird and annoying ways a lot of the time.

ChrisD

Okay so I still love P5's OST, but I've been in an RPG mood since getting the game, and since it's over now, have picked up P4G again (since I still haven't got a good ending!) from a save file that had just finished Yukiko's Castle. And.. Man, I forgot how much I loved this games music.

It's not putting P5 to shame, but dang. I may have been slightly... Underwhelmed? If I came from a P4G playthrough right into P5.

Think that it (5) has a case of higher highs, lower lows. Whereas P4 never hits those high highs (okay, Heaven withstanding), but it doesn't feel like any of the music ever gets grating (aside from dungeon tunes lol).

SHarris78

What's all this about treasure demons / items / transmuting - I guess it's something that happens later in the game ( I'm at the end of the bank palace )?

So far Ive destroyed all treasure demons I've come across except two which I have in my persona list - though all I can do at the moment is use them to power up another persona.

Vorheez

Man, I don't know what happened, but after 60 hours my motivation to continue playing absolutely plummeted :(. It's as if overnight I lost the drive to continue... Did this happen to anyone else?

I finally got a copy today and have only played the first hour and I am sure this is very, very well worn territory by now but

What the fuck is up with Igor's voice

Rizzi

Man, I don't know what happened, but after 60 hours my motivation to continue playing absolutely plummeted :(. It's as if overnight I lost the drive to continue... Did this happen to anyone else?

You had a change of heart?
The back end of the game kind of drags imo.

KrisB

Okay so I still love P5's OST, but I've been in an RPG mood since getting the game, and since it's over now, have picked up P4G again (since I still haven't got a good ending!) from a save file that had just finished Yukiko's Castle. And.. Man, I forgot how much I loved this games music.

It's not putting P5 to shame, but dang. I may have been slightly... Underwhelmed? If I came from a P4G playthrough right into P5.

Think that it (5) has a case of higher highs, lower lows. Whereas P4 never hits those high highs (okay, Heaven withstanding), but it doesn't feel like any of the music ever gets grating (aside from dungeon tunes lol).

Yep, P4G's music is incredible. P5's has been good but hasn't been as catchy for me.

Vorheez

You had a change of heart?
The back end of the game kind of drags imo.
Hahah that could be a possibility, but I have yet to receive my calling card...

And yeah, it definitely starts to drag on. The pacing is pretty shit. Also, I was intrigued by the calender system at the beginning, but as the game progressed, I felt that it acted as a hindrance more than anything. I hated being told what to do every day (by a fucking cat) and it began to feel like I was playing someone else's game, or watching someone else play. The lack of control available to the player is infuriating. The game spent more time telling me what I can't do as opposed to letting me do what I want. I mean, maybe it's just that kind of game and it's not for me, but it's a damn shame considering I was loving so many other parts of it. Maybe I'll just take a break for a while.

Jintor

P5's is far more chill cafe vibe to me a lot of the time (standouts notwithstanding - Rivers in the Desert, Life Will Change (oddly I think I prefer the instrumental version), etc)

Zareka

Also, I was intrigued by the calender system at the beginning, but as the game progressed, I felt that it acted as a hindrance more than anything.
The calendar system worked better in 3 and 4 imo. You still have moments in those games were it says "you're exhausted, go to bed" but it felt like they did a better job of spacing those moments out. This time round it reeeeally felt like the calendar was just getting in the way of the story they wanted to tell.

Bladenic

Palace 6 down. Saved right when the game suggested to do so and now I gotta go to work. Hopefully I can finish it by the end of the week. I keep forgetting to turn the difficulty to Hard for bosses as I haven't been challenged by one since... the first one? Which wasn't really hard either. People seem to have difficulty with the second boss but I found him pretty easy (but again, on Normal).

kromeo

People seem to have difficulty with the second boss but I found him pretty easy (but again, on Normal).

I've only killed the first 2 bosses but they were both disappointingly easy, unless you refuse to use guard when someone gets paint on the second one I'm not sure how it would even be possible to have any characters die on normal

I had been playing on hard but the chimera things in the second dungeon were pretty much an auto game over if you messed up and got ambushed so I turned it down

The calendar system worked better in 3 and 4 imo. You still have moments in those games were it says "you're exhausted, go to bed" but it felt like they did a better job of spacing those moments out. This time round it reeeeally felt like the calendar was just getting in the way of the story they wanted to tell.

I don't know about 4, but in 3, I never felt restricted. The system in 3 made complete sense, go to Tartarus and you'll be tired the next day. At night I could do whatever. Persona 5 felt very restricting in comparison.

JP VA passed away and he was recast, Atlus USA did the same to better match the new JP voice.
i don't see the reason actually..
the old us igor voice was good.. this one is sort of iffy, but i've managed for 60 hours, i guess i'll just suffer the rest :X

4pPayTN.jpg

jGqYTeX.png
Haru does wield an axe after all. She is great.

ramyeon

Fuck Mementos.

I thought I had all the requests done and was expecting a trophy to pop but nope. I'm missing ONE that was never given to me for whatever reason or I missed a text message somewhere along the line or some bullshit.

Can't be stuffed trying for the platinum anymore.

Man, a lot of the NG+ max rank carryover abilities are terrible. I dunno why they didn't just unlock them all and then gate off abilities that require the person to be actively present until you establish the S-link. And give a toggle option for abilities that might be negative like Scoop and Ryuji's insta-Mask ability. Only a few S-Links have actual good carry overs.

vypek

Fuck Mementos.

I thought I had all the requests done and was expecting a trophy to pop but nope. I'm missing ONE that was never given to me for whatever reason or I missed a text message somewhere along the line or some bullshit.

Can't be stuffed trying for the platinum anymore.

Which one was it? If you know

Man, a lot of the NG+ max rank carryover abilities are terrible. I dunno why they didn't just unlock them all and then gate off abilities that require the person to be actively present until you establish the S-link. And give a toggle option for abilities that might be negative like Scoop and Ryuji's insta-Mask ability. Only a few S-Links have actual good carry overs.

The situation with Ryuji's insta-kill could be fixed so easily requiring him to be in the active party to activate it, imo.

eh i feared as much..
dunno if i will bother with it, as i wanted to platinum but i'm almost 100% sure i missed some of mishima sms..

LiK

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. They proclaimed P5 would be their new gold standard of localization, but its their worst job yet.

I was rather disappointed with this & multiple other areas - hopefully the handheld version fixes them.

I would say it gets a Silver standard.

I think the localization for the SMS texts were really well done.

sappyday

Goddamn Christmas Eve is something these guys won't ever forget.

Huge spoilers for 12/24
Holy shit how did I go from exploring the random based dungeon mementos into fucking saving the whole world from a grumpy old god as ryuji put it. Also the game did the trick that I wanted MGSV to do so badly, which is revert back to the old voice actor (although real Igor is still voiced by a new actor)

LiK

I was thinking that none of the people at school were really memorable aside from the girl who was a reporter? We didn't get a Funky Student equivalent which was a shame. You didn't even get sidequests from them like in P4G, iirc. They actually did a good job making all the students unlikeable, tbh.

I was thinking that none of the people at school were really memorable aside from the girl who was a reporter? We didn't get a Funky Student equivalent which was a shame. You didn't even get sidequests from them like in P4G, iirc. They actually did a good job making all the students unlikeable, tbh.

Um, creepy stalker-chan? COME ON.

But yeah, generally I think you're right, but also I think it was intentional. It's clear that Makoto aside, none of your party members really has much of a school life, nor do they really seem to want one.

(also I hope in P5 Crimson, creepy stalker-chan quizzes you ala funky student, except all the questions are intensely personal ones about the dude she's stalking)

(I don't actually hope for this, stalking is bad m'kay)

LiK

Um, creepy stalker-chan? COME ON.

But yeah, generally I think you're right, but also I think it was intentional. It's clear that Makoto aside, none of your party members really has much of a school life, nor do they really seem to want one.

(also I hope in P5 Crimson, creepy stalker-chan quizzes you ala funky student, except all the questions are intensely personal ones about the dude she's stalking)

(I don't actually hope for this, stalking is bad m'kay)

Stalker-chan? I wonder if I missed out on this completely. Doesn't ring a bell. Altho I barely explored the school after the 2nd Palace cuz everyone just kept repeating the same lines.

Scavenger

Those bits weren't subtitled in the Japanese release either, but yeah Atlus should have fixed that for the western release.

There is a Persona 5 PS3 text extractor tool and the anime movies can probably be resubtitled with the CRIWARE SDK. In a year or two RPCS3 might be the best way to play Persona 5.

Top Bottom