• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Did anyone else get a bit confused out by the fact that forneus all of a sudden is now considered a "high level" persona? When he's been what like a level 8 persona in all previous games?

I think he was a level 30 demon in one of the SMT games but I'm not sure. It was just so weird to me because I am used to running early forneus and not using him as fusion fodder for level 70 stuff lol.

ramyeon

Haha because the MMO worked out so well.

We already know that the Persona team is working on a different game for their next project as Studio Zero.

Did anyone else get a bit confused out by the fact that forneus all of a sudden is now considered a "high level" persona? When he's been what like a level 8 persona in all previous games?

I think he was a level 30 demon in one of the SMT games but I'm not sure. It was just so weird to me because I am used to running early forneus and not using him as fusion fodder for level 70 stuff lol.

Haha, this caught my eye too. I think he was one of the first mini bosses in nocturne too so he's sort of stick in my head as low tier. It was weird.

Aselith

Really liking the end of this game but I had to quit my job and go fulltime and currently working overtime to finish this thing. Jesus Christ.

Theyve got us working in shifts.

zulux21

I mean, it has, that's why Sun/Moon sort-of ditching the structure whilst keeping everything else the same made it feel fresh as hell in an almost undeserving way.

Like, put it this way: I'd still overall enjoy a P6 that plays like 3/4/5, buuuut they can do better.

eh... still felt mostly like the same old pokemon to me.

they changed the structure a little, but at it's heart its still the same old pokemon game doing the same old pokemon things.

it's not like they suddenly changed the main line pokemon game into a game where you don't care about getting things to eventually challenge someone.

and even before sun and moon it isn't like the series wasn't repeatedly selling better and better by doing the same thing over and over.

I can get wanting something new for persona 6... but well... Why?

It makes far more sense for persona 6 to just be more of the same and instead make some new spin offs trying out new things doesn't it?

why should they change up the main series drastically just because they have a formula that works... it makes far more sense to keep making the fans happy with great games and make new spin offs to try out different things to make the fans who want change something to play.

Perineum

Haha because the MMO worked out so well.

We already know that the Persona team is working on a different game for their next project as Studio Zero.

I love the Shin Megami Tensei universe, and a well put together MMO is something I would be all for if done right.

None of us need a shitty MMO, but its possible to do a cool MMORPG with Persona's. Make a character with an affinity to one type, level up ala FFXI to eventually unlock subclass that can harness another element as well. Can use other Personas with that affinity as you level, have a weapon type you use as well. Raids /Instances you have certain team comps to get through dungeons. Maybe let you trade Pokemon style for different Personas you have negotiated and claimed with others.

Total fan boy ish, but its not out of the realm of possibility to make a cool MMO in the Persona or Shin Megami universe. You can't just throw team C pleb devs at it though.

Yeahh I always saw Forneus as a fodder demon or the tutorial boss in Nocturne, so I was totally taken back when I saw how high his level is lmao.

Post 5th palace spoilers? Question on mementos.
ppl keep texting to go to mementos to finish the request of the hacker. I only have 1 current request so finding want to go now.
Is not going holding up getting more requests?

ramyeon

I love the Shin Megami Tensei universe, and a well put together MMO is something I would be all for if done right.

None of us need a shitty MMO, but its possible to do a cool MMORPG with Persona's. Make a character with an affinity to one type, level up ala FFXI to eventually unlock subclass that can harness another element as well. Can use other Personas with that affinity as you level, have a weapon type you use as well. Raids /Instances you have certain team comps to get through dungeons. Maybe let you trade Pokemon style for different Personas you have negotiated and claimed with others.

Total fan boy ish, but its not out of the realm of possibility to make a cool MMO in the Persona or Shin Megami universe. You can't just throw team C pleb devs at it though.
I love it too. But the things I love SMT and Persona for don't really lend themselves well to MMOs.

Hylian7

Yeahh I always saw Forneous as a fodder demon or the tutorial boss in Nocturne, so I was totally taken back when I saw how high his level is lmao.
They have some demons are various levels throughout the games in the series. There have been games where Pyro Jacks appeared after where Jack Frosts appear. Matador was fairly low level in this game, but in Nocturne he was higher, and he was late to end game in 4 Apocalypse.

Also why is Jack the Ripper not in this game? :(

They have some demons are various levels throughout the games in the series. There have been games where Pyro Jacks appeared after where Jack Frosts appear. Matador was fairly low level in this game, but in Nocturne he was higher, and he was late to end game in 4 Apocalypse.
Matador is one of those demons that's usually dope in SMT but is kinda shit in Persona. Though he's actually pretty sick here since he gets Swift Strike the earliest and is OP for early game, which beats how bad he was in 4 lol.

EDIT: Could've sworn he was in 3, huh.

Aselith

Matador is one of those demons that's usually dope in SMT but is kinda shit in Persona. Though he's actually pretty sick here since he gets Swift Strike the earliest and is OP for early game, which beats how bad he was in 3 and 4 lol.

Hardest boss in Nocturne for me. Dude was a monster

Hylian7

Matador is one of those demons that's usually dope in SMT but is kinda shit in Persona. Though he's actually pretty sick here since he gets Swift Strike the earliest and is OP for early game, which beats how bad he was in 4 lol.

EDIT: Could've sworn he was in 3, huh.
Matador is in Nocturne, he is the most infamous boss, lol.

PK Gaming

Maybe it's just my memory failing me since it's been so long but I still think take 80 turns in a row Mot was harder lmao.

Matador isn't all that difficult if you have a strong grasp of the game mechanics. Without that though? Oh boy.

It's cool how there's a boss like that in nearly every megaten game. For me, it was Beldr from Devil Survivor who forced me to get good.

Hylian7

Matador isn't all that difficult if you have a strong grasp of the game mechanics. Without that though? Oh boy.

It's cool how there's a boss like that in nearly every megaten game. For me, it was Beldr from Devil Survivor who forced me to get good.
Yeah Matador was that "You better learn the mechanics right now or you aren't going any further!" boss.

Honestly Thor is harder. But Matador is actually great from a design standpoint to prepare you for how the whole game will be. The bosses up to him won't really give you any trouble.

Opa-Pa

Matador is great in the sense that you won't beat him unless you figure out how to play properly, and once you do, it's entirely possible to steamroll everything on your path for the rest of the game.

Also Beldr was brutal for a first boss, but he taught me the beauty of STR builds... Which is funny because I think the damage you do in that fight doesn't really scale with STR exclusively, but I was sure it did back then.

I think Madarame was supposed to be that boss in P5, but Normal is so easy that it's pretty easy to get past him without really getting all the mechanics right haha.

Yeah Matador was that "You better learn the mechanics right now or you aren't going any further!" boss.

Honestly Thor is harder. But Matador is actually great from a design standpoint to prepare you for how the whole game will be. The bosses up to him won't really give you any trouble.

Thor's pretty easy if you just throw debuffs at him. I found Dante to be the hardest early game Nocturne boss.

Peff

November 21st spoilers

That was convoluted as fuck, haha. It was cool to see it play out and being able to keep up with the identity of the traitor due to having picked up on the clues earlier, but once they started explaining the whole thing it sounded like a million things could have wrong every step of the way. The only thing I'm not sure I got is the MC's corpse. As far as I understood, Sae went back while Akechi was in her palace, told the cop to get away and somehow extracted the MC from the real-life building to LeBlanc, then when she came back she was all like "oh yeah I totes took him to the morgue but nobody check it haha kthxbye." Is that it? Guess you're just supposed to roll with some of the sketchier parts of the plan.

Speaking of the game going long, October has been kind of a slog, with lots of plot and things wrapping/connecting a bit too neatly. Seems like it is in a rush to get the third act started.

Edit: I don't think I've done anything in a week. It just keeps going and going... the pacing in this game is odd.

Just spent 2 million on this guy lol.
C-3AaCcWsAA8d5a.jpg:orig

Nowhere near optimal or anything but I really wanted a Psy build because the effects are great. Wish we got better curse and bless skills, DLC aside since they aren't even inheritable.

Zareka

It makes far more sense for persona 6 to just be more of the same and instead make some new spin offs trying out new things doesn't it?

why should they change up the main series drastically just because they have a formula that works... it makes far more sense to keep making the fans happy with great games and make new spin offs to try out different things to make the fans who want change something to play.
This is exactly how I thought a few years ago when people entertained Persona 5 being a P2 > P3 style shift for the series.

Now? In a post Breath of the Wild world, I just can't think the same. Sure, the idea of the series changing too much makes me feel a little uneasy, but there's also the possibility that the shake up could be just as good as the current formula, or even better.

I don't think BOTW is better than the previous Zelda structure, but it's absolutely fantastic in its own way while simultaneously being the shot in the arm the series needed. Classic Zelda wasn't bad, just stale, and I personally feel like the Persona formula started feeling that way as I was playing 5.

If they tried something new with P6 and it worked, they'd have two formulas they could alternate between. Then we not only have the brilliant, consistently high quality series we have now but the potential for interesting ideas within the series potentially doubles. I understand the "try a spin off" argument but you risk ideas falling short due to restrained budget that way. They'd never give the same resources to a spin off even if they wanted to treat it like a mainline title.

Opa-Pa

Modern Persona mostly sells because of the anime flavor, waifus and social sim aspects. I think it'd be "easier" for Atlus to produce more traditional, shorter RPGs with the same themes, but they go the extra mile because it's vital in order to maintain the aspects that sell.

Not to mention that P5 is their biggest release in the series, which means now there are more beginners than ever getting used to the formula. If anything now it's the time that has made the most sense to just go for the same formula at least once more.

Grisby

So...how many mementos would you guys save up at one time? Finished the third dungeon and I've got three 'D' tier quests. It's on the last day of June and raining, wondering if I should go in or just build up some more since 'D's sound pretty easy.

duckroll

Personally I don't think the number matters. Whether it's Persona 5, 6, 7, a reboot, or whatever. How I feel is that if there's a team who has always worked on this Persona formula and like to continue expanding and evolving it, that's fine. But at some point the people who made Persona as it is now will want to move on. When that happens and there is an opportunity for a fresh new perspective on what Persona can be, why not? Is there any reason not to let new leads decide how the series show be for future generations? Why should they stick to the formula which was established before them? Persona 3 is very different from the 3 Persona games before it. Now we've had 3 Persona games in the new formula. Hashino and many of the Persona leads are working on a fantasy RPG next. If someone else can step it up and provide a new vision for the franchise, we should welcome it.

Personally I don't think the number matters. Whether it's Persona 5, 6, 7, a reboot, or whatever. How I feel is that if there's a team who has always worked on this Persona formula and like to continue expanding and evolving it, that's fine. But at some point the people who made Persona as it is now will want to move on. When that happens and there is an opportunity for a fresh new perspective on what Persona can be, why not? Is there any reason not to let new leads decide how the series show be for future generations? Why should they stick to the formula which was established before them? Persona 3 is very different from the 3 Persona games before it. Now we've had 3 Persona games in the new formula. Hashino and many of the Persona leads are working on a fantasy RPG next. If someone else can step it up and provide a new vision for the franchise, we should welcome it.
I'd be more welcome to major change if there was anything else like it, but there just isnt. Persona is the only thing that scratches this itch. there are plenty of games like old persona

SerRodrik

Seriously. We've had 3 RPGs in this format, each 100 hours long. I love those games, and I enjoy the format, but I'd certainly welcome a fresh take. Especially with Hashino and company elsewhere, I'd be interested in what a fresh perspective could bring. It would be a shame if they brought in new blood only to make them ape the previous team's style.

Dark Link

Finally finished the game last night. Clocked in at 130:56. What an insane and wild ride the game became to be. Can't wait to start up NG+ later this week.

Zareka

I'd like to see a new take on the social elements of the series. I love the idea of forming friendships of your own accord and gaining benefits from them, but the social link structure feels so rigid and mechanical. Adding the fact spending time with characters after you've maxed them is actively detrimental to your progress and they start to feel less and less like you're really befriending people and more like you're just maxing out more bars.

[citation required]
not in plot and setting, but in gameplay flow
I'd like to see a new take on the social elements of the series. I love the idea of forming friendships of your own accord and gaining benefitsfrom them, but the social link structure feels so rigid and mechanical. Adding the fact spending time with characters after you've maxed them is actively detrimental to your progress and they start to feel less and less like you're really befriending people and more like you're just maxing out more bars.
and this is why I think there is still lot a room left to grow this mold

elcapitan

Although some people might be worried that the main leads have moved on to another studio, I'm actually kind of excited to see what new blood can do. There's not much more room for the current formula to be refined. A P5: Crimson would only put the feather on the cap. Time for a fresh take.

Aselith

Haven't had any issues with the pacing yet and I'm near the end of December.

Yeahhhhh...get back to me when you complete the game and tell me there isn't.

3eda1907dfb456c191f9c23ffa0104c6_download-wrap-it-up-b-meme_260-195.gif

I didn't find the rest of the game particularly badly paced but that was...comprehensive.

That said damn what an amazing game. Final boss was LEGIT.

Something that is also grating on me and has for most of the game is how everyone has to chime in during a text conversation.

Kid 1: Hey, Kid 6, what do you know about hot dogs?
Kid 2: Yes, I also want to know what you know about hot dogs?
Kid 3: Hot dogs?
Kid 4: Yeah, spill the beans on hot dogs!
Kid 5: Are you saying you know lots about hot dogs?
Kid 6: Yes, I like hot dogs.

It's just one of those bad writing things that bothers me because they assume everyone wants their favorite character to say something, so they make everyone say pretty much the same thing or get a chance to speak. And, it makes these phone conversations long and repetitive.

(I just had a conversation like this happen where everyone asked the same character the same question in turn).

Top Bottom