• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

duckroll

I think the English dub is one of the best ones with regards to having to deal with awkward Japanese in Japan settings. It's always tricky to dub stuff like that, and aside from the weird mandate they got for the name pronunciations, the actual voice direction and casting is top notch.

TrueBlue

I think the English dub is one of the best ones with regards to having to deal with awkward Japanese in Japan settings. It's always tricky to dub stuff like that, and aside from the weird mandate they got for the name pronunciations, the actual voice direction and casting is top notch.

This is my take as well.

The English dub was excellent, it's what I've come to expect from Persona at this point. Outside of noticing some clear correlation of voices that have already decorated the series reappear as someone else (I CAN'T unhear Yukari whenever Kashikawa speaks, I just can't), again the awkwardness of keeping the source material as close to Japanese - sometimes in structure, and other times with cultural nods like honorifics (which is weirdly a staple of Persona now too), and Caroline (who is just as obnoxious in Japanese), I had no problems with their performances.

Breath of the Wild - that holds the title of worst dub, at least this year.

Edit:

How long is the final dungeon if I use a walkthrough?

From Mementos depths, which is the final dungeon, I played about 7-8 hours, including several long talking sequences and boss fights, but I did wipe a couple of times. Outside of a heads up on upcoming boss fights - which would have trimmed my time down a lot - the dungeon shouldn't give you too many problems in terms of navigation or puzzles. I think Atlus knew how far to push us with reaching the end.

KraytarJ

That's pretty much my take too. The only other problem for me is the hiss on s sounds. If that and the weird pronounciations were fixed I really couldn't complain. Even Haru's voice is pretty good to me.

duckroll

Breath of the Wild - that holds the title of worst dub, at least this year.

I played half of the FFXIV 2.0 campaign earlier this year in English before switching to Japanese. That was definitely a worse dub. HW's got a huge improvement. Zelda really isn't -that- bad. I think a lot of it comes down to people not liking how Zelda is directed, but her character is a hard one to like even in Japanese imo.

After 130 hours, and midway through NG+... I just now learned that you can rearrange persona skills -.-

I was wishing for a way to do that my entire first playthrough...

Yu Narukami

Edit:

From Mementos depths, which is the final dungeon, I played about 7-8 hours, including several long talking sequences and boss fights, but I did wipe a couple of times. Outside of a heads up on upcoming boss fights - which would have trimmed my time down a lot - the dungeon shouldn't give you too many problems in terms of navigation or puzzles. I think Atlus knew how far to push us with reaching the end.
Thanks.

JBwB

Very close to getting the platinum now.

I just need to finish the compendium, max all confidants and
defeat the twins

Damn I love this game haha.

I played half of the FFXIV 2.0 campaign earlier this year in English before switching to Japanese. That was definitely a worse dub. HW's got a huge improvement. Zelda really isn't -that- bad. I think a lot of it comes down to people not liking how Zelda is directed, but her character is a hard one to like even in Japanese imo.

Is it? Damn if true, I was planning on going back to that this summer when the DLC started to drop and play through with the Japanese audio. Not just Zelda herself for me too, Mipha speech just sounded too stilted for me, I get she's timid, but it felt robotic at times. I've heard some of the FFXIV clips, and yeah, I take it back...

Well, fuck
Futaba
. I won't be getting her to rank 10.

fuck this game. dammit.

seriously. i have plenty of time to spend with this person, but, NOPE GAME WONT LET ME. LOL. LETS GO INTO PALACES. LOL.

fuck this.

No, I mean, I have time to go in. But, oh no, it's too close to a deadline, so let's not go in... but i have NOTHING else to do.... NOPE. LOL. NO GO IN.

i don't care. this game has problems, but who cares, because it looks pretty and has nice music. can't say anything bad. lol.

i'm going to finish this, and then i'm going to say it is the worst modern persona game and that fuck mostly everything. including the story. and the confidants. and everything. it may be a good game but it is so underwhelming, and i don't care anymore. i'm tired of this 100 hour underwhelming whimper. (lol, but it's new and so therefore great!). whatever.

RalchAC

Well, fuck
Futaba

fuck this game. dammit.

seriously. i have plenty of time to spend with this person, but, NOPE GAME WONT LET ME. LOL. LETS GO INTO PALACES. LOL.

fuck this.

No, I mean, I have time to go in. But, oh no, it's too close to a deadline, so let's not go in... but i have NOTHING else to do.... NOPE. LOL. NO GO IN.

Or... you could clear the Palace in the first week after the dadline is settled and have a free week to hang out with your party members. Even the 7th Palace allows you to do stuff up until the day of the deadline.

A few of the confidants basically get suspended until you finish the palace so try to do it as early as you can. I was thankfully able to finish Ryuuji's that way and the only reason I never completed Iwai's was due to lacking lvl 5 guts.

Lvl 10 Strength Confidant is overwhelming. I don't know where to start.

Around mid October you should get a mementos mission regarding
an assassin
, the reward for that is a skill card for High Counter (this is the easiest guaranteed way of getting it without having to do a whole bunch of fusions). Save the card for later and maybe have Yuusuke clone it if he is able to so you have a spare one.

Then for that jail fusion, you will need:

ignore first bit if you already have a Horus.
1) Hecatoncheir (Hanged) + Kushinada-Hime (Lovers) ----> Horus (Sun)
2) Isis (Priestess) + Thoth (Emperor) + Anubis (Judgment) + Horus (Sun) ----> Seth. (You should have all of these by that point)
3) use earlier skill card on Seth.

Ferrio

Banned
Around mid October you should get a mementos mission regarding
an assassin
, the reward for that is a skill card for High Counter (this is the easiest guaranteed way of getting it without having to do a whole bunch of fusions). Save the card for later and maybe have Yuusuke clone it if he is able to so you have a spare one.

Then for that jail fusion, you will need:

ignore first bit if you already have a Horus.
1) Hecatoncheir (Hanged) + Kushinada-Hime (Lovers) ----> Horus (Sun)
2) Isis (Priestess) + Thoth (Emperor) + Anubis (Judgment) + Horus (Sun) ----> Seth. (You should have all of these by that point)
3) use earlier skill card on Seth.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was talking about the 10th level reward.

I brought up to a friend a question from a class that he should have encountered the day before (real life day), but he said he hadn't. He sent a calling card around that time and thinks it might have skipped that day. Is that plausible or is there another explanation?

Well, from the 10 hours I've played so far.... I think I'm at the end of the 1st palace (throne room) and I say I like the English VA actually. I think Ryuji is very obnoxious with his constant use of "FOR REAL?!" but I think that's my only gripe so far. I'm sure the JPN voices are 100000X better but hey I want to play in English. Otherwise, It just doesn't feel like I'm paying attention much.

RalchAC

I brought up to a friend a question from a class that he should have encountered the day before (real life day), but he said he hadn't. He sent a calling card around that time and thinks it might have skipped that day. Is that plausible or is there another explanation?

I think there was a question in my NG+ that surprised me because I hadn't got it the first time I played. The only reason I could think of was the fact that I cleared the 1st Palace much earlier in my NG+ thanks to Adhesive 3.

I think there was a question in my NG+ that surprised me because I hadn't got it the first time I played. The only reason I could think of was the fact that I cleared the 1st Palace much earlier in my NG+ thanks to Adhesive 3.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, to any person starting this game - Death is your friend. God bless you quack, God bless you!

Finished my new game plus and got the platinum last night. It feels weird not planning on playing persona 5 after a whole month of nothing but persona 5. The only downside for me is the game ended. After 200 hours I still want more from this game and I dont want to play anything else.

JediLink

I did the first rank of Strength, then I couldn't see any obvious way to do the next rank so I just ignored the entire confidant for the rest of the game lol. I'm pretty sure I did at least a few levels of Margaret in P4.

nOoblet16

Oh, and I went with the Japanese audio. What I've heard of the English track, Jesus fucking Christ, it's so bad. Some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game.
Uh you're wrong. The voice overs are great infact some of them like Chihaya, Morgana, Ryuji, Kawakami and Futaba actually sound better in English.

If it's the script you have the issue with then that remains the same as you get the same subtitles even when playing in Japanese.

nOoblet16

Well, fuck
Futaba

fuck this game. dammit.

fuck this.

i don't care. this game has problems, but who cares, because it looks pretty and has nice music. can't say anything bad. lol.

i'm going to finish this, and then i'm going to say it is the worst modern persona game and that fuck mostly everything. including the story. and the confidants. and everything. it may be a good game but it is so underwhelming, and i don't care anymore. i'm tired of this 100 hour underwhelming whimper. (lol, but it's new and so therefore great!). whatever.
Ermmm. I don't think the game ever does that.
Every NPC shows up on a set day of the week, just because they texted you that "let's go to palace today" doesn't mean they would have bee available to hang out that day were there not a palace to finish. It does not matter whether you do palace early or late, as long as it's that NPC's day of the week to show up they will be available to hang out even if they say "but what about the palace" at the start.

Every single palace in the game lets you spend your day however you wish and with whoever you wish (as long as it's their day). The only time you have Slinks blocked is when you reach the treasure room and the next step is to send a calling card, but it only affects party members and no one else. Basically if you reach the treasure room then you can progress Slink with party members until you defeat the boss...but that's about it.

The game will never prevent you from hanging out with a person by having the person tell you "no let's go to palace instead".

thechemist

Dee Dee

|__|

This is an empty hug collection box for Mishima and (late August / eaely September event I think)
Akechi
Please give generously.

This game needs a hug button.

Also broke-ass Yusuke is hilarious. His spending and appetite remind me so much of my student years. I hope he never becomes a useless party member. Like Ann.

Spending a day in Mementos now before the trip to Hawaii. I actually really like grinding Mementos, it's quite relaxing.
And the banter game is on point.

Yusuke: "I know we decided to lay low at school. It's pretty easy for me since no one talks with me anyway.
Ryuji: "Yusuke, wow. Eh. Let's go have some beef bowl together some time, okay?"

(Insert me mashing imaginary hug button.)

I have a question for someone who has beat the game:

I just beat Shido and have around a week left before the deadline of the voting. Just wanted to know if I will still have time after the deadline to get some links up. I'm close to maxing Makoto and Yusuke and I'd like to get their final Persona forms for whatever stuff awaits me after that point. Too bad I can't do shit with Haru still because she's gated by max proficiency and I'm still at 4 despite pouring so much time into it. Ugh...

Zafir

I just beat Shido and have around a week left before the deadline of the voting. Just wanted to know if I will still have time after the deadline to get some links up. I'm close to maxing Makoto and Yusuke and I'd like to get their final Persona forms for whatever stuff awaits me after that point. Too bad I can't do shit with Haru still because she's gated by max proficiency and I'm still at 4 despite pouring so much time into it. Ugh...

You have until 12/24, but about 3-4 days are taken up by exams.

Sorian

Banned
Alright, got the plat earlier today and plowed through to beat it again so I'd just have a perfect complete file with full compendium and such. Ending spoiler:
Sojiro wiping the tear away after you leave got me again, best character

gun_haver

No, you essentially have until the deadline because right after that is exams. You get a night before exams start and just after, IIRC, but yeah the deadline is pretty much it!

Bladenic

|__|

This is an empty hug collection box for Mishima and (late August / eaely September event I think)
Akechi
Please give generously.

This game needs a hug button.

Also broke-ass Yusuke is hilarious. His spending and appetite remind me so much of my student years. I hope he never becomes a useless party member. Like Ann.

Spending a day in Mementos now before the trip to Hawaii. I actually really like grinding Mementos, it's quite relaxing.
And the banter game is on point.

Yusuke: "I know we decided to lay low at school. It's pretty easy for me since no one talks with me anyway.
Ryuji: "Yusuke, wow. Eh. Let's go have some beef bowl together some time, okay?"

Ann useless? She's the second highest damage dealer in the game (Ryuji generally seems to outdamage her for me by a a hundred or so points, plus crits). Her only issue is being one note. If an enemy/boss isn't fully damaged by fire, she's pretty useless.

Zafir

Ann useless? She's the second highest damage dealer in the game (Ryuji generally seems to outdamage her for me by a a hundred or so points, plus crits). Her only issue is being one note. If an enemy/boss isn't fully damaged by fire, she's pretty useless.

I found Ann did more damage due to Fire Boost/Fire Amp personally, so I'd say she's probably the best assuming the boss doesn't resist/drain/reflect fire(I don't remember many that do on Normal...). :p

No, you essentially have until the deadline because right after that is exams. You get a night before exams start and just after, IIRC, but yeah the deadline is pretty much it!

Ah that's a shame. I guess I didn't utilize my time very well because the only stat I have maxed right now is Guts while everything else is on 4.

Haru is rank 1, Futaba is rank 3 and the others are around 5-7. The only one's I've maxed are the goth nurse lady, the politician dude, the teacher maid, Mishima, Ryuji, Ann and the Twin Wardens. Makoto is 9 so should be able to max her. Maybe Yusuke who is 7. Ugh...

How many of you managed to max everyone in one playthrough?

tumblr_ooujdseFU91wn6hn2o1_1280.png

tumblr_ooujdseFU91wn6hn2o2_1280.png
Ryuuji knows that pain of being a loner. Also worth pointing out that one of the first things Ryuuji does with MC is take you out to the beef bowl place and add servings for you.

Dee Dee

Ann useless?
(snip)
If an enemy/boss isn't fully damaged by fire, she's pretty useless.

I think you answered your own question there.
But to be fair I'm only as far as Palace 4, so might be that I desperately need to switch her back in at some point. For now she's on the bench, using healing skills with her otherwise unused SP.

I know I'm supposed to not spend SP on healing, but ever since SP Adhesive 3 became a thing, I got careless with that.

Different topic: Those "Evade [insert Weakness]" passive skills that the transformed Persona unlocks at Social Rank 10 - worth it?

Top Bottom