• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

bunkitz

Ryuuji knows that pain of being a loner. Also worth pointing out that one of the first things Ryuuji does with MC is take you out to the beef bowl place and add servings for you.

Fuck. Okay. I take back my dislike of Ryuji. (I started disliking him because of how he kept going on and on about being popular and famous, etc. and what really tipped me over was the incident with
Morgana
)

Zafir

Ah that's a shame. I guess I didn't utilize my time very well because the only stat I have maxed right now is Guts while everything else is on 4.

Haru is rank 1, Futaba is rank 3 and the others are around 5-7. The only one's I've maxed are the goth nurse lady, the politician dude, the teacher maid, Mishima, Ryuji, Ann and the Twin Wardens. Makoto is 9 so should be able to max her. Maybe Yusuke who is 7. Ugh...

How many of you managed to max everyone in one playthrough?

Unless you use a guide it's very hard to max all of them on a first playthrough.

You have to make use of a lot of things people won't realise on a first playthrough. Like you need to take advantage of a lot of things which will boost stats without wasting time, like the plant in your room or drinking juice. You'd probably need to prioritise Fortune, since that makes levelling up confidants infinitely easier. Temperance should be focused on too since that gives you more free time. You'd probably want to either look at a guide for confidant answers, or reload saves to get the most optimal answer. You'd also need to plan your time.

In short, I don't particularly think it's the best way to play the game on a first playthrough honestly. Course, not everyone is the same.

RalchAC

I think you answered your own question there.
But to be fair I'm only as far as Palace 4, so might be that I desperately need to switch her back in at some point. For now she's on the bench, using healing skills with her otherwise unused SP.

I know I'm supposed to not spend SP on healing, but ever since SP Adhesive 3 became a thing, I got careless with that.

Different topic: Those "Evade [insert Weakness]" passive skills that the transformed Persona unlocks at Social Rank 10 - worth it?

Yeah. Evade buff + Evade debuff + Evade passive skills works great in late game. Somehow, eventhough bosses will usually cast Dekaja if you have Attack and/or Defense buffs they don't with Accuracy/Evade ones.

Ryuuji knows that pain of being a loner. Also worth pointing out that one of the first things Ryuuji does with MC is take you out to the beef bowl place and add servings for you.

Yeah. He is the first person that treats you as a human being and puts the rumours into question (followed by Shiho and then Ann). For all the bad temper he has, he is really into helping others, including the Track Team. After Palace 4th, when
Futaba leaves her shut-in lifestyle he always gives her a warm and positive vibe too.

And he's the kind of person that will always offer to put his life at risk when there is a dangerous situation. Despite his flaws, I think he adds a lot of "heart" to the team.

Tiops

Finished the game yesterday. I feel empty :(

Loved everything about it. I'll start NG+ today to get the remaining trophies. Planning to do an MC + Arsene only run, but I'll have to research a little bit, as I have no idea how to do it lol.

Best Persona game.

Nothus

Quick question for someone who has finished the game:

I've just gone into the palace version of Mementos, which I assume is right at the end of the game. Will I get any more free time to build my character traits and confidant levels, or is this it?

I've just gone into the palace version of Mementos, which I assume is right at the end of the game. Will I get any more free time to build my character traits and confidant levels, or is this it?

If it's December 24th, it's over.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is it.
The game will end when you finish this dungeon.

I've beaten the Palace 5 boss. How far would y'all say I'm into the game? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it, but man I've put a shitload of hours into this now. I don't remember 4 Golden being this lengthy.

God, I fucking hate Ruyji. Loud-mouth, obnoxious, and hung up on fame. I have a strong dislike for people like that in general. Fuck that foo.

Arguably the best voice actor though. Delivers some great angry lines. Mad props to that guy.

muteki

Unfortunately Mishima's S-Link is gated by some of his requests, so you might be limited on Moon if you missed too many (or the ones who gives you at Rank 4 and 8).

I'm going to guess that if I'm past that and his link is ready to advance that I'm in the clear, but if I did get stuck I guess it wouldn't bother me as much as some of the other links. Some of these requests take way too much time.

RalchAC

Finished the game yesterday. I feel empty :(

Loved everything about it. I'll start NG+ today to get the remaining trophies. Planning to do an MC + Arsene only run, but I'll have to research a little bit, as I have no idea how to do it lol.

Best Persona game.

I'd like to do one too. My plan is too try to level up Strength ASAP for the extra features, and exploit the boost Persona and jail feature.

And skill cards.

8DGwBmF.jpg
Had a great time with it, and now want to play 3 and 4 all over again, to try to figure out how it measures up.

Bladenic

God, I fucking hate Ruyji. Loud-mouth, obnoxious, and hung up on fame. I have a strong dislike for people like that in general. Fuck that foo.

Arguably the best voice actor though. Delivers some great angry lines. Mad props to that guy.

He's certainly got the best in battle delivery.

LiK

I think the English dub is one of the best ones with regards to having to deal with awkward Japanese in Japan settings. It's always tricky to dub stuff like that, and aside from the weird mandate they got for the name pronunciations, the actual voice direction and casting is top notch.

Yep, the English dub is fantastic and gets better and better. Not sure how anyone can call this bad. If you want bad, play BotW.

Roussow

Yo, what's the name of the track that plays after a boss, during
a bosses pre-palace destruction monologue,
it's got a lot of piano in it.

First Persona game, took me like 90-95, forgot exact number

I look at these people with 40+ more hours with me, and I'm like wow...

Did y'all leave your game on for a long time? Use fast travel a lot less? I don't feel that I rushed through anything either.
I did use fast travel.

I think I left my game on pause for at least 10-15 hours overall, so you could shave that out of my time. But I generally just took my time with the dungeons. I really liked both the Palaces and Mementos and spent a lot of time going through and exploring every part of them.

First, completely agree about 'confidants in a vacuum'. Shame.

As for this and any other games that do it: I think it's just so you can pick an option that best suits you. If a silent protagonist is supposed to represent the player, then I think the idea is to give a certain set of responses that, even if they don't actually have any weight on anything, still lets you respond how YOU would (and then NPCs giving a sort of response to what you pick).
I get that, and sometimes the choices are really good. Like the funny responses that I mentioned. But a lot of times, it felt like I was just essentially picking between "Yes" and "Yeah", and that just made me realize how unimportant those choices were.

You know what could've made the decision making in the game much more meaningful? If they had a Catherine-like system in place that would determine your character based on your choices and then had an effect on the ending. That could've added a lot of weight to your choices.

daveo42

Banned
After 245 hours, I finally got the platinum. Took me two full playthroughs (at the final boss now) but it was well worth playing it for a second time. Some of the late game twists are still pretty damn awesome.

LiK

I managed to get the Homerun trophy my second try during NG+. Didn't even need the book which was nice. I'm worried about the fishing trophy tho. Seems like a pain in the ass from what I've read and checking the video guides. Giving me nightmares of getting the fishing trophy in P4G except the fishing mechanic in this seems less fun.

McBryBry

Man, ready to finish this today. 12/24 spoilers
I'm just a little ways into the Depths, how much longer are we looking?

I love this game to death, but after nearly 100 hours, that NG+ run is gonna have to wait because I'm burning out hard. Just want it to be over.

Yu Narukami

Man, ready to finish this today. 12/24 spoilers
I'm just a little ways into the Depths, how much longer are we looking?

I love this game to death, but after nearly 100 hours, that NG+ run is gonna have to wait because I'm burning out hard. Just want it to be over.
I'm at the same place and want it to end too, after 100 hours. I took a break for a few days.

daveo42

Banned
I managed to get the Homerun trophy my second try during NG+. Didn't even need the book which was nice. I'm worried about the fishing trophy tho. Seems like a pain in the ass from what I've read and checking the video guides. Giving me nightmares of getting the fishing trophy in P4G except the fishing mechanic in this seems less fun.

It's actually not all that bad to get. It's more patience and going on the right days tbh. I found it to be easier than the batting trophy.

LiK

It's actually not all that bad to get. It's more patience and going on the right days tbh. I found it to be easier than the batting trophy.

I have a backup save just for it. Seems you have to fish quite a bit to get the points for the baits. I'm not sure I will bother while I'm doing all the other trophies atm. I'll most likely just reload that one save during the summer and just focus on fishing only.

I found the fishing trophy suprisingly easy, to be honest. Took 3 nights of fishing, 2 actual tries to catch it. I think you can do it in two trips if you happen to have rainy day/night. And actually cathing the guardian isn't hard, just don't be greedy with the reel-in so you won't hit X outside the red area and break the line.

- edit -
This was on a NG+ run with max social stats so you might have to do more trips if your stats aren't maxed.

LiK

I found the fishing trophy suprisingly easy, to be honest. Took 3 nights of fishing, 2 actual tries to catch it. I think you can do it in two trips if you happen to have rainy day/night. And actually cathing the guardian isn't hard, just don't be greedy with the reel-in so you won't hit X outside the red area and break the line.

Well, this gives me hope. I'll try it during the rainy days after I read the book that makes it easier.

Drop

I have a backup save just for it. Seems you have to fish quite a bit to get the points for the baits. I'm not sure I will bother while I'm doing all the other trophies atm. I'll most likely just reload that one save during the summer and just focus on fishing only.

All you need is one piece of the special bait and enough proficiency to fish 7 times, you can catch the guardian on your second trip.

I found Ann did more damage due to Fire Boost/Fire Amp personally, so I'd say she's probably the best assuming the boss doesn't resist/drain/reflect fire(I don't remember many that do on Normal...). :p
From my experience

Joker > Ann > Ryuji > Haru for total damage capability. Haru is aburdly strong thanks to snipe and cripple, but Charge gives Ryuji the edge. Ann takes it over Ryuji thanks to Fire Amp and Boost alongside Sever damage spell.

Makoto I think actually ends up falling above Yusuke and Morgana with best equipment. Atomic Flare is Severe damage, and Judge of the Dead is absurd and pushes her stats too high for Yusuke to keep up.

Gbraga

I think the English dub is one of the best ones with regards to having to deal with awkward Japanese in Japan settings. It's always tricky to dub stuff like that, and aside from the weird mandate they got for the name pronunciations, the actual voice direction and casting is top notch.

Do we have any confirmation of that pronunciation thing? Because I was looking at DC Douglas' twitter to see him responding to Nier Automata tweets, and someone tweeted him saying his pronunciation in P5 was great, and he answered "Thanks! It was pure luck, though".

Maybe it's only for party members? But that would be weird. Seems like they didn't really care that much if Douglas can just come in and say it however the hell he wants and it's fine.

LiK

Do we have any confirmation of that pronunciation thing? Because I was looking at DC Douglas' twitter to see him responding to Nier Automata tweets, and someone tweeted him saying his pronunciation in P5 was great, and he answered "Thanks! It was pure luck, though".

Maybe it's only for party members? But that would be weird. Seems like they didn't really care that much if Douglas can just come in and say it however the hell he wants and it's fine.

Heard that Atlus Japan basically told them how to pronounce the names in very specific ways. The VAs said they didn't have a choice even tho they thought some of the name pronunciations were unusual.

Gbraga

Heard that Atlus Japan basically told them how to pronounce the names in very specific ways. The VAs said they didn't have a choice even tho they thought some of the name pronunciations were unusual.

Right, I heard that too, but apparently they only wanted specific actors to pronounce things in a certain way? Because Kamoshida's voice just said it however he wanted and it was fine, and there are clips of random NPCs saying party names differently from the supposed mandate.

It doesn't make sense. Unless they specifically wanted certain characters to say things in a certain way, and not the name to be pronounced in a certain way, but it's so fucking weird.

Not making sense and being fucking weird are not unusual from Atlus JP, though, so there's that.

LiK

Right, I heard that too, but apparently they only wanted specific actors to pronounce things in a certain way? Because Kamoshida's voice just said it however he wanted and it was fine, and there are clips of random NPCs saying party names differently from the supposed mandate.

It doesn't make sense. Unless they specifically wanted certain characters to say things in a certain way, and not the name to be pronounced in a certain way, but it's so fucking weird.

Not making sense and being fucking weird are not unusual from Atlus JP, though, so there's that.

Yea, not sure what's going on there. Seems like maybe there were some miscommunication or maybe they thought the performance was good enough and ignored following the mandate. It's really weird. I'm glad that it became less of an issue later in the game when everyone was just going by their first name basis.

Zafir

From my experience

Joker > Ann > Ryuji > Haru for total damage capability. Haru is aburdly strong thanks to snipe and cripple, but Charge gives Ryuji the edge. Ann takes it over Ryuji thanks to Fire Amp and Boost alongside Sever damage spell.

Makoto I think actually ends up falling above Yusuke and Morgana with best equipment. Atomic Flare is Severe damage, and Judge of the Dead is absurd and pushes her stats too high for Yusuke to keep up.

Yeah, Yusuke and Morgana kind of drop off in usefulness late game. Makoto offers too much versatility.

That said, Yusuke at the very least is solid for the rest of the game. I'd easily use him over Ryuji until Ryuji gets charge.

*Goes back to playing Persona 4 Golden*
*Presses triangle to summon Persona*
*Immediately goes into rush mode*

gg

Using the face buttons instead of the scrolling menu was an amazing idea from whoever came up with it. The only "problem" is that rush mode is a bit harder to reach but I can live with that.

Lunar15

Using the face buttons instead of the scrolling menu was an amazing idea from whoever came up with it. The only "problem" is that rush mode is a bit harder to reach but I can live with that.

It's one of those things that's so good not many people talk about it. It's just insanely natural and it works great.

I have just started the game, working on the first palace now. It's my first Persona game, but I must say I am very much impressed. The game is clearly a last-gen effort ported to current-gen, but the presentation (menus are amazing), the soundtracks, the art style, the tone of the story, the agile battle system, the character designs... it all just... works. It really is one of the best-looking games I have seen and a great pleasure to play.

Zafir

*Goes back to playing Persona 4 Golden*
*Presses triangle to summon Persona*
*Immediately goes into rush mode*

gg

Yeah, after I got the plat in Persona 5 I went back to golden and kept doing the same thing.

I didn't die thanks to it.... Fortunately....

It's one of those things that's so good not many people talk about it. It's just insanely natural and it works great.
I wouldnt say its completely natural, as it takes some getting used to. It took me a while to keep proper track of which function was on R1 and L1, and which button was for orders. However I don't think being slightly unintuitive here is a bad thing, as once you get used to it its always the path of least resistance to accomplish a task.

mrmickfran

I agree, it's actually kind of a pain using a menu in P4G after putting over 100 hours into P5. P5 combat is so snappy.

Yeah, after I got the plat in Persona 5 I went back to golden and kept doing the same thing.

I didn't die thanks to it.... Fortunately....
Yeah, I was in the first dungeon when it happened. Nothing detrimental, just funny that it happened lol

Harpuia

Hello friends. Gonna need a rough estimate on how many days I have left in the game. Gotta start picking confidants to drop and focus on my others. I'm at the 6th palace, about 3 days after it starts.

Weebos

Banned
In Palace 7 on NG+, almost got the Platinum. I think this will be my first non-Telltale Platinum? Really love this game.

I was tempted to get the Platinum in P4G, but Hardcore Risette Fan and having to use a guide for the Social Links sunk that idea.

Really happy I can max confidants without using a guide in this one, and Passionate Listener popped on my first playthrough.

Top Bottom