• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Zephyx

Hmmm not so sure about invites, but unlike Persona 4 at least your ability to raise their Confidant levels are not blocked by whether you finish a dungeon or not, with the sole exception, I think, of a particular very, very late dungeon.

At first I thought it would be best to always go ASAP too since Persona 4 did block S.Links if you haven't finished dungeons, but ever since I figure out this is not the case in P5 I changed my behavior accordingly.

I'm not entirely sure how it works. It seems to me the amount of opportunities you have to hang out with Phantom Thieves dwindles pretty quickly as you wait to steal the treasure. However, the confidant bonuses I usually really care about getting for a dungeon run are in the other characters who's availability doesn't change. The best ability to have with party members is baton pass, and then you're pretty much okay.

If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice. I would like to finish dungeons at a later point in the calendar on my next playthrough just to see how it would affect the people whispering in the background.

Edit: It's good to be progressive but take in account the shakkles that devs have in their own country laws. Their gouvernement is really bad, they don't like new progressive laws in general.

In what way could making a story that is not perving on high school girls, not being homophobic and not having double standards actually be unlawful in Japan? Is there any example of this?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
just attack kaneshiro (not the pig) , he goes down pretty quickly, so there's no point to wasting an item!
Will do, I thought maybe I'll get some additional bonus with sacrificing an item.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In what way could making a story that is not perving on high school girls, not being homophobic and not having double standards actually be unlawful in Japan? Is there any example of this?

Not so much as unlawful but at the very least that is how they perceive their main audience of the series would like... you know, bits of pervy things here and there.

Opa-Pa

So, the concept behind the 5th palace boss was kind of underwhelming, but the actual fight was pretty neat! It seemed easy on paper but it was pretty tense all the way through. I was pretty close to lose but I spent literal hours at the Velvet Room beforehand so I was well-prepared to say the least.

Now the plot is going some interesting places, so I'm very excited. I'm already near the 100 hour mark though... No wonder people said this game's long.

Also I bought both the Orpheus and Izanagi packs because I'm a sucker and the picaro versions are so cool. The unique skills are great, so I fused them both with good sets and gave them growth 3 to speed up things a little. Izanagi Picaro specially looks promising because I LOVE single-target multi-hit physical attacks and Izanagi is my favorite original persona haha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, the concept behind the 5th palace boss was kind of underwhelming, but the actual fight was pretty neat! It seemed easy on paper but it was pretty tense all the way through. I was pretty close to lose but I spent literal hours at the Velvet Room beforehand so I was well-prepared to say the least.

Now the plot is going some interesting places, so I'm very excited. I'm already near the 100 hour mark though... No wonder people said this game's long.

Also I bought both the Orpheus and Izanagi packs because I'm a sucker and the picaro versions are so cool. The unique skills are great, so I fused them both with good sets and gave them growth 3 to speed up things a little. Izanagi Picaro specially looks promising because I LOVE single-target multi-hit physical attacks and Izanagi is my favorite original persona haha.

Holy shit you're 100 hours at dungeon 5? o_O

You sure took your time, huh? o_O

Shahadan

This series is stuck in the japanese PS2 era on all fronts, design and content wise.
Even the UI is so big it looks like it's designed for SD TVs.

It's like a portable CD player in 2017. Time to rethink things.

Zephyx

I think his point was that there is a big cultural difference between Japan and the west that you have to take to account why it came out this way. Also, the game seems to be designed with their target audience in mind (which are teenage Japanese people) so unfortunately, these kind of things show up.

It'd be nice to be progressive but I'm not expecting any of that in their future games since the team making these games are the same.

jorma

is now taking requests
So i know that personal stas carry over to ng+, but what about half way done levels? If i complete the game with knowledge leveled half way to level 5, would i start the new game with knowledge almost at level 5 or would i have to redo the entire level in ng+?

nOoblet16

This series is stuck in the japanese PS2 era on all fronts, design and content wise.

I do agree with font being big (the number of days is a bit too big) but the game's presentation and game/level design is anything but "PS2 era". Try going back to Persona ౩/4 right now immediately to see how big of a jump it is in that front.

This is the most slick and stylish game I've ever seen presentation wise and that includes games made for PS4Bone era.

Sciel

If anyone can confirm that, that would be nice. I would like to finish dungeons at a later point in the calendar on my next playthrough just to see how it would affect the people whispering in the background.
I'm not 100% sure on this (since i tend to finish the dungeon/send card on consecutive days) but i recall that you are free to spend time with your teammates before you finish the dungeon (i.e: before securing the route).
However, after you secure the route and escape the dungeon, all team-mates s-links are locked till you send the card/steal the treasure.

nOoblet16

I'm not 100% sure on this (since i tend to finish the dungeon/send card on consecutive days) but i recall that you are free to spend time with your teammates before you finish the dungeon (i.e: after securing the route and before sending the calling card).
However, after you secure the route and escape the dungeon, all team-mates s-links are locked till you send the card/steal the treasure.
This is true for the 7th palace, I have no idea why it's that way.

Shahadan

I do agree with font being big (the number of days is a bit too big) but the game's presentation and game/level design is anything but "PS2 era". Try going back to Persona ౩/4 right now immediately to see how big of a jump it is in that front.

This is the most slick and stylish game I've ever seen presentation wise and that includes games made for PS4Bone era.

I don't give a shit about presentation. It looks cool and that's nice but that's a detail.
The rest still feels like what I played 15 years ago, and not only in P3/4.
And once again "it's worse in 4!" is not a counter argument. There are other games out there and p4 was a decade ago, surely they didn't spend 10 years polishing only their artstyle

I think YouTube just fucking spoiled me because I accidentally opened a link to a P3P track. The spoiler video in question was the title of one of the tracks from the game, with a small note which is a massive spoiler for me.

Fucking YouTube. I was really careful to open all Persona related YouTune links in private tabs and always use private tabs for Googling too.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with the UI being too intrusive at times (and maybe over-styled, but still, it's snappy as hell), and I would have liked some things like being able to visit the Velvet Room from anywhere, but I'm struggling to think of JRPGs from the PS2 era with the QoL standards and smooth gameplay that Persona 5 offers.

Yu Narukami

I'm not 100% sure on this (since i tend to finish the dungeon/send card on consecutive days) but i recall that you are free to spend time with your teammates before you finish the dungeon (i.e: after securing the route and before sending the calling card).
Isn't it the contrary? Team-mates' Links are locked until you secure the treasure?

Lusankya

I think YouTube just fucking spoiled me because I accidentally opened a link to a P3P track. The spoiler video in question was the title of one of the tracks from the game, with a small note which is a massive spoiler for me.

Fucking YouTube. I was really careful to open all Persona related YouTune links in private tabs and always use private tabs for Googling too.

What was the note? In spoiler tags of course.

Ydelnae

I think you totaly missed the point of who Atlus target Persona fanchise in general. They're not targetting at all adults that are the main clients in the west at all otherwise they would've not use High schooler but adults like in Katherine.

Also, you're totaly ignoring the cultural difference between countries one the reason why FF15 first version was droped is because the faction the girl was in was workshipping was Death and the dev told the press that they discovered that it's something lot of countries DISLIKE.

So yeah, ask you yourself next time, if what you want to put in a game won't be banned or be flamed in a country where you want to publish your game. Like did you know domestic violence are only reconized since the year or 2002 in Japan in the law ? Yeah, that's show how bad their system is and that Persona 5 kinda was shouting at.
Persona 5 pointed a lot of society problem that Japan does have but didn't go that deep because otherwise they might have been banned from their own country you know.

Edit: It's good to be progressive but take in account the shakkles that devs have in their own country laws. Their gouvernement is really bad, they don't like new progressive laws in general. In the west, it's also not easy to be progressive, lot of stuff are still denied like how some plastic items can give cancer to young children but yet those items aren't banned from the market and public is not really award of it neither. Just trying to say: take in account culture difference and who the game is aimed toward to.

Well, I'm aware of the cultural differences between Japan and the west. But limiting myself to the video game industry, there's a reason the portrayal of women and non-heteronormative (I think it's spelled this way) relationships, among other things, is problematic, since the studios lack a point of view and perspective from these positions and therefore, fail to understand than the characters they write, for example, might not be representative nor respectful for these individuals.

I know that the issues the game has are not exclusive to Atlus, most Japanese games released nowadays suffer from it. But taking into account that Persona is a series that tackle serious issues with Japan's society (and this game is the one that make this criticism more obvious) and aims to represent society in the most representative way, it's disappointing that while Atlus decides to show how bad aspects of Japanese culture should be changed in order to free their society of these chains, they fall ear-deaf in other issues.

I think it's now agains the law in Japan to release a game in which every animated cutscene doesn't center around selling a female character's body. I don't think it's mandatory to mock homosexual people neither. I'm aware that this has a cultural background and I'm speaking as an outsider to Japanese culture, but if this representation of cultural issues is unrespectful, in my opinion, to even Japanese audiences, they should think of a way to improve it.

If they don't want to include homosexual relationship options or avoid over-sexualizing their fictional female characters, that's sort of fine. But a first step into improving their views on society and stop being unrespectful would be to not go out of their way to mock these people and include social issues that they simply don't understand.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Good lord everyone is calling me all the time now, give me 5 seconds people!

nOoblet16

Boss of palace 4 keeps destroying me. Any tips.
Depends on what part you are getting destroyed.
Focus on chip damage and reducing enemy attack while she is flying, put wind resistance /evade band on Ryuji. Keep a persona that doesn't have wind weakness. When she goes up for the slam buff your party with defense buff and then and guard on the 2nd turn.

Opa-Pa

I honestly don't see what's so antiquated about P5 unless you're the kind of person who thinks stuff like save points should remain in the past.

I have my complaints, but they're mostly about the writing. Mechanically speaking I think this is one of the finest home console turn based RPGs in the last decade... And ironically, I haven't been this engrossed by one since, yes, the PS2 era, haha.

What was the note? In spoiler tags of course.

Very likely major spoilers
Akechi being a Persona user. The title of the vid was something like "Persona 5 - Awakening (except Goro)
. Really pissed because I do not ever see that one coming. I've only started dungeon 4.

is it just me or are the in-engine cutscenes like about 50% more powerful than any of the anime cutscenes

The anime cutscenes are more for camera angles, scale, or action that the in-game cutscenes can't handle, I think.

They don't feel terribly out of place like P4G's so I haven't had a problem with them. Thus far, at least (just before the 4th Palace).

Sciel

Akechi being a Persona user. The title of the vid was something like "Persona 5 - Awakening (except Goro)
. Really pissed because I do not ever see that one coming. I've only started dungeon 4.
If its any consolation, that spoiler is relatively minor on grand scale of things lol..

Isn't it the contrary? Team-mates' Links are locked until you secure the treasure?
They are locked after you secure the route to the treasure iirc. Sorry there was a couple of typos in my previous post.

nOoblet16

No you can level up S link before you secure the treasure. But if you have been to the treasure room and the next step is to send out the calling card then your teammates' S links (only teammates) are locked until you send the calling card and secure the treasure. I am not sure if this is exclusive to 7th dungeon or happens for all but I know that it happens 100% for 7th dungeon.

nOoblet16

It's not a major or even a minor spoiler. You see him standing alongside other party members and wearing a mask in the main menu itself, not to mention he is also on the box art. There are much bigger actual secrets.

I'm staying out of the Confidant thread because it became a spoilerfest, but I've just gotta say...

Makoto is incredible in the main narrative but her Confidant is SUCH a letdown.
I started dating her (because, I mean, of course) but the completion of her Confidant and (especially) the formation of your relationship is totally deflating.
MEANWHILE, Futaba,
who I didn't consider dating because she was so young and almost sisterly, charmed my socks off with her Confidant! The whole thing was so personal and emotional and you spend your entire
9th
level just taking about your relationship with her. It took everything I had to say no, and only cause I knew I'd only hurt her more by two-timing.

THAT is how you write an S.Link, right there. Holy shit. They really, really dropped the ball with Makoto.

Lusankya

Honestly, that's a very small spoiler, if at all.
At least Atlus did nothing to hide that, when you take a look at the box art or the image with the all-out-attack cut ins when you start the game.

is it just me or are the in-engine cutscenes like about 50% more powerful than any of the anime cutscenes

The anime is trash. Poor desaturated coloring, inconsistent lines, cheap animation, and worst: it's consistently out of character. They need to drop it wholesale next time.

Jintor

I'm staying out of the Confidant thread because it became a spoilerfest, but I've just gotta say...

Makoto
is incredible in the main narrative but her Confidant is SUCH a letdown. I started dating her (because, I mean, of course) but the completion of her Confidant and (especially) the formation of your relationship is totally deflating. MEANWHILE,
Futaba, who I didn't consider dating because she was so young and almost sisterly,
charmed my socks off with her Confidant! The whole thing was so personal and emotional and you spend your entire
9th
level just taking about your relationship with her. It took everything I had to say no, and only cause I knew I'd only hurt her more by two-timing.

THAT is how you write an S.Link, right there. Holy shit. They really, really dropped the ball with
Makoto

the only consolation is that Makoto's main storyline and presence throughout is always rad as fuck.

Top Bottom