• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Jintor

If I'm not mistaken, I remember the school trip in P3/P4 being
somewhere around Japan so I was a bit surprised it happens elsewhere.
Good for them though.

Still @ work, but I'm thinking how to approach the game later. Only Persona has this effect on me.

p4's school trip went to iwatodai (p3's location)... lol, basically what i would expect from a school in the sticks. P3 goes to Kyoto, which is pretty standard. The kids at the middle school where i tught, 2nd years got to go to Kyoto, 3rd years all the way to Tokyo to see Tokyo Skytree, the Diet building, and Tokyo Disneyland. Not bad for a rural middle school, though we were the largest.

Ydelnae

so two games of badass persona dads is enough

it's time for persona mums to shine

Atlus would find a way to let you date her, unfortunately. They need to update their views for the next game regarding women, not-heterosexual people, rape and similar, because the game really has issues with the representation of these characters.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
LOL I think Dojima is a shitty dad. Not shitty in a he abused Nanako kind of way, but man, the amount of things he did that cause his daughter to be thrown into a precarious position....

Triteon

I'm in the third Palace and I essentially got trapped. I'm out of SP on three of my characters but I went past a loading screen door so If I go back to my last safe room I'm gonna have to fight may way back through a lot of enemies, but I have no idea how far away the next room is.

I have two Coffee's and a few drinks do I use them and continue? or go back? I've been saving that stuff for ages. Even if I go back I don't know if ill have enough.

gun_haver

Atlus would find a way to let you date her, unfortunately. They need to update their views for the next game regarding women, not-heterosexual people, rape and similar, because the game really has issues with the representation of these characters.

It's time for the series to grow the fuck up in general. If Atlus is smart, they might realise they've got the attention of a broader and international audience on their hands with the Persona games and it might be time to throw away some of the anime tropes. They're reaching more than the visual novel audience now so they can plan the next game accordingly, or the audience will end up shrinking down again.

People have brought some of the glaring issues up - anime scenes dedicated to perving on high school girls, homophobia, double standards with men and women - but immaturity is a pervasive problem in this game. Persona 4 had the same issues, which I was aware of, but I hoped Atlus was going to grow up a bit with Persona 5. They've probably actually gone backwards in several areas.

In Persona 4, the moments of immaturity and regressiveness were frustrating to me because there was a lot I loved about that game. In Persona 5, I'm just bored with it. There is plenty to like about Persona 5 as well, and I'll see it through to the end, but I might not be back for Persona 6 if they don't deal with some of this stuff.

They need a different writer for the story and characters, basically.

Zolo

I'm in the third Palace and I essentially got trapped. I'm out of SP on three of my characters but I went past a loading screen door so If I go back to my last safe room I'm gonna have to fight may way back through a lot of enemies, but I have no idea how far away the next room is.

I have two Coffee's and a few drinks do I use them and continue? I've been saving that stuff for ages.

It sounds like you still have a ways to go, so it may be best to just exit the dungeon and come back another day. That was the dungeon that convinced me to really rank up the death confidant and get the sp-restoring accessory.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I have two Coffee's and a few drinks do I use them and continue? or go back? I've been saving that stuff for ages. Even if I go back I don't know if ill have enough.

Where do you get trapped, basically? If you want I can give you a general idea as to how far the next safe room is.

Chaos17

LOL I think Dojiro is a shitty dad. Not shitty in a he abused Nanako kind of way, but man, the amount of things he did that cause his daughter to be thrown into a precarious position....

Do his S-link, he kinda explain what happened. When he adopted Futaba, she was in a more bad shape than you think
not only because of her mother death, there is more and you kinda have to respect Sojiro there for what he did for her. He never had kids yet he hold so dearly Futaba.

It's time for the series to grow the fuck up in general. If Atlus is smart, they might realise they've got the attention of a broader and international audience on their hands with the Persona games and it might be time to throw away some of the anime tropes. They're reaching more than the visual novel audience now so they can plan the next game accordingly, or the audience will end up shrinking down again.

People have brought some of the glaring issues up - anime scenes dedicated to perving on high school girls, homophobia, double standards with men and women - but immaturity is a pervasive problem in this game. Persona 4 had the same issues, which I was aware of, but I hoped Atlus was going to grow up a bit with Persona 5. They've probably actually gone backwards in several areas.

In Persona 4, the moments of immaturity and regressiveness were frustrating to me because there was a lot I loved about that game. In Persona 5, I'm just bored with it. There is plenty to like about Persona 5 as well, and I'll see it through to the end, but I might not be back for Persona 6 if they don't deal with some of this stuff.

Preach.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Do his S-link, he kinda explain what happened. When he adopted Futaba, she was in a more bad shape than you think
not only because of her mother death, there is more and you kinda have to respect Sojiro there for what he did for her. He never had kids yet he hold so dearly Futaba.

Sorry, I meant Dojima.

Why did I mention Dojiro, lol, combining both their names, hahaha.

I don't mean to say you are at fault saying that, and I generally agree with you, but isn't Persona 5 selling better than Persona 4?

If anything, what we want Persona to become is not aligned to what the market of the series wanting it to become.

I'm at a really weird place with Fusion (Level 44 - at but haven't started the 6th palace) where every fusion result option is lower level than one of the persona I'm putting into it. Hahahaha. Guess I've gotta wait for the new stock in Palace 6, huh?

Jintor

amen.

Stalwart

Word. Not having any homosexual options is already a bit weird but then you have that predator shit as basically their only representation in 2016.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So i secured the route to the treasure in the second Dungeon and i still have 12 days left... if i finish it now do i keep the days off or will the game go fast forward and go on with the story?

Frimaire

So i secured the route to the treasure in the second Dungeon and i still have 12 days left... if i finish it now do i keep the days off or will the game go fast forward and go on with the story?

You still get all the free days after finishing the Palace.

LotusHD

Banned

You get all that free time to yourself. Basically always do dungeons early

Spenny

You'll get a bunch of free time to do whatever.

Zephyx

It's time for the series to grow the fuck up in general. If Atlus is smart, they might realise they've got the potential for a broader and international audience on their hands with the Persona games and it might be time to throw away some of the anime tropes. They're reaching more than the visual novel audience now so they can plan the next game accordingly.

For some cases such as homophobia and double standards, I think most countries in Asia are not as open minded or receptive with these kind of concepts. Moreso in Japan, I believe.

It may be hard for them to remove something so ingrained with their culture as the writers/producers for these games are not getting any younger and it's harder for them to change. They also have their own audience in their country to pander to. It sucks for us but I believe they are making these games with their own country in mind.

I do hope for the same things as you wish but I'm not expecting that big of a leap in terms of this content for the next installment.

Vorheez

Hey guys

So, the items in my inventory with gold bars next to them, are they only for the purpose of selling? I don't wanna get rid of something important...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You get all that free time to yourself. Basically always do dungeons early

Not necessarily always a good advice though, since if you can do confidants that you want by the time you do your dungeon crawling you get all the bonuses they confer when you fuse personas.

Like for example, I can go with Haru still at one but I held back to raise her and by the time I go through the dungeon she's at 5, which allow me to fuse Empress much more effectively.

Hey guys

So, the items in my inventory with gold bars next to them, are they only for the purpose of selling? I don't wanna get rid of something important...

You can sell all treasures, don't worry, they're not tied to any sidequest or anything like that.

Frimaire

Hey guys

The treasure's all safe to sell.
You can just go to the Airsoft shop and say sell all treasure.

Chaos17

Whats the next best JRPG coming after persona 5? DQ 11?

Yes and Etrian Odyssey 5.
The second is one of the best franchise that go super in turn based mechanic with class managements, so underrated by the mass public but the synergy they're able to bring up with challenging-clever battles is so good.

<snip>

Yes. P4 was one of my favourite games despite me loathing some parts of it. P5 looks to be doing something similar, though fortunately the parts I pretend don't exist are fewer.

They can absolutely do better on this front.

zulux21

Whats the next best JRPG coming after persona 5? DQ 11?

Cosmic Star Heroine just came out.
not a true JRPG in the sense it was not japanese made, but one of the better looking chrono trigger/phantasy star like games. that being said I haven't played it because persona... so I can't comment on its actual quality.

after that would likely be the ff12 remake (not sure what comes first that or DQ in japan as I haven't bothered paying attention to DQ until it gets confirmed to be coming in english)

but if we are just talking games that will be big sellers in japan DQ11 will be next.

Not necessarily always a good advice though, since if you can do confidants that you want by the time you do your dungeon crawling you get all the bonuses they confer when you fuse personas.

Like for example, I can go with Haru still at one but I held back to raise her and by the time I go through the dungeon she's at 5, which allow me to fuse Empress much more effectively.

This. Why do people keep making the suggestion that doing dungeons as early as possible is a good idea? I just did palace 4 and that was basically three weeks worth of confidant bonuses I took with me, including an absolutely ESSENTIAL one from Star. I guess if you're just steamrolling through the game you'll probably manage either way, but as long as you send the calling card with three days left, I try to wait as much as possible.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
At 12/24, and... I think I'm starting to get burned out on this game. Kind of starting to lose interest in the story... but I've gotten this far, so I'm going to see it through to the end.

Zephyx

This. Why do people keep making the suggestion that doing dungeons as early as possible is a good idea? I just did palace 4 and that was basically three weeks worth of confidant bonuses I took with me, including an absolutely ESSENTIAL one from Star. I guess if you're just steamrolling through the game you'll probably manage either way, but as long as you send the calling card with three days left, I try to wait as much as possible.

Do you still receive party member invites for activities (such as DVD/movie watching) if you haven't finished the dungeons first? I think I finish the dungeons early so my party members can do whatever they want and I won't have any issues when I want to invite them.

Chaos17

I think you totaly missed the point of who Atlus target Persona fanchise in general. They're not targetting at all adults that are the main clients in the west at all otherwise they would've not use High schooler but adults like in Katherine.

Also, you're totaly ignoring the cultural difference between countries one the reason why FF15 first version was droped is because the faction the girl was in was workshipping was Death and the dev told the press that they discovered that it's something lot of countries DISLIKE.

So yeah, ask you yourself next time, if what you want to put in a game won't be banned or be flamed in a country where you want to publish your game. Like did you know domestic violence are only reconized since the year or 2002 in Japan in the law ? Yeah, that's show how bad their system is and that Persona 5 kinda was shouting at.
Persona 5 pointed a lot of society problem that Japan does have but didn't go that deep because otherwise they might have been banned from their own country you know.

Edit: It's good to be progressive but take in account the shakkles that devs have in their own country laws. Their gouvernement is really bad, they don't like new progressive laws in general. In the west, it's also not easy to be progressive, lot of stuff are still denied like how some plastic items can give cancer to young children but yet those items aren't banned from the market and public is not really award of it neither. Just trying to say: take in account culture difference and who the game is aimed toward to.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Do you still receive party member invites for activities (such as DVD/movie watching) if you haven't finished the dungeons first? I think I finish the dungeons early so my party members can do whatever they want and me not having any issues when I want to invite them.

Hmmm not so sure about invites, but unlike Persona 4 at least your ability to raise their Confidant levels are not blocked by whether you finish a dungeon or not, with the sole exception, I think, of a particular very, very late dungeon.

At first I thought it would be best to always go ASAP too since Persona 4 did block S.Links if you haven't finished dungeons, but ever since I figure out this is not the case in P5 I changed my behavior accordingly.

Do you still receive party member invites for activities (such as DVD/movie watching) if you haven't finished the dungeons first? I think I finish the dungeons early so my party members can do whatever they want and I won't have any issues when I want to invite them.
I'm not entirely sure how it works. It seems to me the amount of opportunities you have to hang out with Phantom Thieves dwindles pretty quickly as you wait to steal the treasure. However, the confidant bonuses I usually really care about getting for a dungeon run are in the other characters who's availability doesn't change. The best ability to have with party members is baton pass, and then you're pretty much okay.

It's straight up baffling that they reward you with social skill points in Confidant levels that needed a Max of that social skill to continue. Like, why?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Boss of palace 3 question:
what item can I use to distract Kaneshiro?

Top Bottom