• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Lusankya

I'm staying out of the Confidant thread because it became a spoilerfest, but I've just gotta say...

Makoto
is incredible in the main narrative but her Confidant is SUCH a letdown. I started dating her (because, I mean, of course) but the completion of her Confidant and (especially) the formation of your relationship is totally deflating. MEANWHILE,
Futaba, who I didn't consider dating because she was so young and almost sisterly,
charmed my socks off with her Confidant! The whole thing was so personal and emotional and you spend your entire
9th
level just taking about your relationship with her. It took everything I had to say no, and only cause I knew I'd only hurt her more by two-timing.

THAT is how you write an S.Link, right there. Holy shit. They really, really dropped the ball with
Makoto

Your spoiler tag usage is weird, lol. Imho I would have tagged all the other parts with the content and showed the names of the confidant instead of the other way around.

I totally agree, though. The weaker confidant side story is compensated by many great main story moments, though.

SoulUnison

Banned
[SUN Confidant RANK 5 SPOILERS]

Yoshida: "You must always be honest and straightforward! If you make a promise, keep it!"
-Yoshida has taught you to use MANIPULATION-
Me: Wait, what?

Opa-Pa

The anime is trash. Poor desaturated coloring, inconsistent lines, cheap animation, and worst: it's consistently out of character. They need to drop it wholesale next time.

Ever since Catherine the in-game stuff has looked ridiculously better than the anime cutscenes anyway, and in P5 in particular they're basically a sign that shitty anime garbage is about to happen anyway. Drop 'em.

Zolo

The anime is trash. Poor desaturated coloring, inconsistent lines, cheap animation, and worst: it's consistently out of character. They need to drop it wholesale next time.

The action cutscenes are pretty good for stuff like the escape from a couple of palaces. They don't serve much point during generic day-to-day stuff that could be handled in-game.

nOoblet16

I'm staying out of the Confidant thread because it became a spoilerfest, but I've just gotta say...

Makoto
is incredible in the main narrative but her Confidant is SUCH a letdown. I started dating her (because, I mean, of course) but the completion of her Confidant and (especially) the formation of your relationship is totally deflating. MEANWHILE,
Futaba, who I didn't consider dating because she was so young and almost sisterly,
charmed my socks off with her Confidant! The whole thing was so personal and emotional and you spend your entire
9th
level just taking about your relationship with her. It took everything I had to say no, and only cause I knew I'd only hurt her more by two-timing.

THAT is how you write an S.Link, right there. Holy shit. They really, really dropped the ball with
Makoto
Why are you spoiler tagging names of characters everyone already knows about but not spoiler tagging the description of their side story ?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fucking hell I just realized you can press R1 to switch between various pages when you craft tools on your work desk.

And here I am wondering why the hell the trophy for crafting tools are not appearing when I crafted Eternal Lockpick.

Also no wonder the Sunday TV shops mostly sells trash, since apparently you can also buy stuff from
Persona 3's Tanaka.

Also you can actually switch cameras by pressing directional buttons up and down.

If its any consolation, that spoiler is relatively minor on grand scale of things lol..

They are locked after you secure the route to the treasure iirc. Sorry there was a couple of typos in my previous post.

It's not a major or even a minor spoiler. You see him standing alongside other party members and wearing a mask in the main menu itself, not to mention he is also on the box art. There are much bigger actual secrets.

Honestly, that's a very small spoiler, if at all.
At least Atlus did nothing to hide that, when you take a look at the box art or the image with the all-out-attack cut ins when you start the game.

Wait, it was on the box? Didn't see it. Spoilers up to dungeon 4
Maybe it's because I didn't take a very close look at the box but the only other character I don't know there was that brown curly haired chick that rode the limo during the festival.

In that case, thanks, crisis averted. I think I'll just completely stop using YouTube and rely on opening it on private tabs so that I don't get spoiled. YouTube likes to suggest videos about topics I've watched ages ago, and I definitely watched a lot of Persona stuff.

nOoblet16

Ever since Catherine the in-game stuff has looked ridiculously better than the anime cutscenes anyway, and in P5 in particular they're basically a sign that shitty anime garbage is about to happen anyway. Drop 'em.
I'm not sure of anime cutscene are easier to make, usually I'd think they aren't as they have to be drawn in. But then again they only animate at 9 frames per second or so and don't have to worry about whether the game engine can do it or not (in terms of scale/physics/facial expressions etc). But if it's easier to make, maybe that's why they keep it for some scenes.

I'm disappointed that they didn't at least use it for the Persona awakenings...

I find the least exciting Awakening to be Joker's. Precisely because it was animated. The 3D ones are so much better.

Makoto's? Swoon.

Yeah... NO.

I mean, you can still love it but everything I said is true. The vibrancy of the colors and deepness of blacks is drastically reduced in comparison to the in-game portraits, you can see characters' faces deforming often as they turn, and the walking animations are stilted with less frames than the 3D models. The out-of-character bit... well, I suppose that's exceptional. But I'd love to know your reasoning as to why so many of the anime cutscenes go out of their way to have our cast ogling Ann when it practically never happens in-game. (Aside from the male-gazey battle camera.)

You want good animation? Hire Trigger or something. What they have now is just not cutting it.

the only consolation is that Makoto's main storyline and presence throughout is always rad as fuck.

Absolutely. Which is why she feels like the canon choice (there are even main narrative scenes that seek to establish a sense of closeness between her and Joker). It's a goddamn shame her Confidant doesn't flesh our her character and your relationship more. Because, like, I really like that character and wish the game would reward me for that.

40 hours in...loving every second of it. Think this has spoiled me for JRPGs.

Was going to try FFXII Remaster since I never played XII but...

Your spoiler tag usage is weird, lol. Imho I would have tagged all the other parts with the content and showed the names of the confidant instead of the other way around.

I totally agree, though. The weaker confidant side story is compensated by many great main story moments, though.

Why are you spoiler tagging names of characters everyone already knows about but not spoiler tagging the description of their side story ?

Hahaha, good point, guys. Sorry. I originally had nothing spoilered since it was all vague impression stuff but then decided not to reveal the names in case people didn't want their experience colored by my perception -- assuming people would know who I was talking about if they got that far.

Kind of poor planning on my part, hahaha.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rank 10 with Ann... welp, never hanging out with you again girlfriend...sorry :3

Oh shit rank 10 gives
them new personas? The fuck have I been wasting time on non-party members then
;_;

Rank 10 with Ann... welp, never hanging out with you again girlfriend...sorry :3

Oh shit rank 10 gives
them new personas? The fuck have I been wasting time on non-party members then
;_;

Because the non-party member benefits are, generally, way better if that particular party member isn't first string for you.

As for what Rank 10 gives,
the second awakening Persona is the same but it nulls the strong element and strengthens another. Not a huge change.

Hey, it's their fault for being so boring in comparison...

This is very true. The supporting cast rocks in this for the most part. And their bonuses are wayyyyyy better than in previous games.

I only wish that they would force the first level of every Confidant (to guarantee some canon relationship) so that every non-party cast member could play a more integrated part in the main story.

I don't just want these characters to interact randomly one Sunday at the park.

I want my whole team dropping by Takemi's at 2am one night because Yusuke needs a bullet removed from his gut. (You get the idea.) I want the team to scope out a target at Hifumi's Shogi tournament because she was able to get them a backstage pass. I want to leverage Yoshida's political connections to find out where a target might consider his/her palace.

There's some preciousness about Confidants being fully missable, I think. But honestly, I don't get the fascination. It only hurts the main narrative that Confidants (S.Links, whatever) are and have always been so separate from the story. Integrating them to some extensive degree isn't the answer either (the agency of pursuing specific S.Links is part of the fun) but there are definitely ways to improve their cohesion. And I think the introduction of every possible relationship as part of the main narrative would be a major way of tackling it.

And, hell, if you still want the restrictions, gate Rank 2 (or the "official" Rank 1, whatever) behind some offbeat requirements (working at a specific place multiple times, for instance). But introduce the character canonically and you're free to use them in the main story whenever you'd like.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Because the non-party member benefits are, generally, way better if that particular party member isn't first string for you.

As for what Rank 10 gives,
the second awakening Persona is the same but it nulls the strong element and strengthens another. Not a huge change.

Nah I know I just
dug the look of the new persona
:)

Bonding Moments question

Just finished the school festival where you allied with Goro Akechi. There seems to be less fun, cutscene-filled moments with the group compared to P4.
I'm talking about scenes like kanji and the boys in the tent, boys in the amagi inn,
eating watermelon with nanako, cooking contest with nanako. Is this really the case or are there more in the coming dates

Rhaknar

Where can I get a job at the mall for this
memento mission
?

Jintor

jesus i thought for certain i was at the end of the game like 3 hours ago

like at the very least i thought i got to the mop-up stage. nope

the hits just keep coming

massoluk

Banned
Edit:Oops spoiler end game
I didn't expect I would get railroaded all the way to the final month of the game after last boss like this...

Rhaknar

Go to the underground walkway. There should be some flyer racks you can interact with where you can sign up for the part time jobs (one of them is the flower shop).

Im an idiot, thank you.

Also, lol at Yusuke SL scene.

"Hey can you two strangers on a date stand still and go back to your previous pose so I can paint your burning passion?"

Yusuke is the best.

I finished the game earlier tonight and have started a second playthrough.

I tried the Japanese voices, and.... I just can't do it. I'm too used to the english ones now, weird pronunciations and all.

On top of that, no subs in cutscenes was killing me.

I finished the game earlier tonight and have started a second playthrough.

I tried the Japanese voices, and.... I just can't do it. I'm too used to the english ones now, weird pronunciations and all.

On top of that, no subs in cutscenes was killing me.

I am with you, but just to prevent misinformation: You can enable anime subtitles in the config menu.

Saprol

Barely cleared Moon 9-10 and Emperor 8-10 at the end. I was going to be so mad if I missed it due to availability. I was desperately using Fortune's bonus too and hoping it'd be enough to cut down on days.

Rhaknar

Ooooh Mishima rank 7 perk

Phanboy - greatly increase exp from battle

I love that almost every Rank 10 Confidant involves the Confidant telling you
that they knew you were a Phantom Thief the whole time. MC is just as subtle as Batman when it comes to his secret identity. Sees a pretty girl in distress -> "Have I told you about... My secret identity?"

Lusankya

Oh man, there are some good Futaba lines in Mementos:

9QqzAbn.png

XenqVRX.png

XHPLwpa.jpg

fLAx4QJ.jpg

q9iMnkE.png

I am with you, but just to prevent misinformation: You can enable anime subtitles in the config menu.

Note that it doesn't subtitle everything in the animations. Like TV voices. You will miss dialog if you're relying on subtitles.

Also, weirdly, gameplay subtitles are missing for movies. It's really strange and arbitrary, I don't get it at all.

acidagfc

At some point in the game you can purchase a used laptop from the store near LeBlanc. After you buy that, purchase the PC fixing item in Akihabara, and voila.

He sells some seriously good stuff too.

Phew, thanks, I thought I missed channel switch on my TV. I just got my console, so I guess a PC is still ways off.

Post game :

FFS game,
it seems I missed/forgot the visit to the Velvet Room in the after game section? Meaning, I missed my Fool S-Link item, fucking hell. Why did you let me do this game? WHY?
I know you get save slots and I know it asks you twice "Are you surely-sure-sure?" that you did things but fucking hell. It's not the end of the world but it fucking sucks to miss the bonus for the NG+ still.

Fucking fuck fuck fuck. Someone, please save day by telling me that I didn't do that kind of stupid mistake. Shit :(

- edit -

Didn't P3 and P4 force you to "say goodbyes" to everyone so you didn't miss stuff? I can't remember.

If it wasn't a thing in those either, it certainly is a thing that HAS to go. We aren't talking about losing 10, 15 or 30 minutes of progress, it's 80+ hours because the S-Link maxes at the very end of the game.

Top Bottom