• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Zephyx

It's something like:

Humanity goes down the wrong path.
The Cognitive World is created along Yaldabaoth, which is the Treasure of the public.
The Cognitive World gets stronger.
Yaldabaoth decides to challenge Igor to a game that will decide the fate of humanity.
He cheats, traps Igor and throws the Velvet Room in the Depths of Mementos. Lavenza is turned into the twins.
The people whose distorted desires don't align with the rest of the cognitive world are thrown into their own Palaces.
Some time around here Wakaba researches about the Cognitive World, her works are stolen, she dies (because of Akechi) and all that. Shido starts his conspirancy

That's some kinda timeline for P5 as far as I can remember.

I still don't understand how the cognitive world was created though.
I think it still operates in some form even after Mementos was destroyed given they can still see and understand Morgana. And how did Yaldabaoth know Igor? Unless he was some form of god that was existing one way or another before the appearance of the cognitive world, it's improbable that he simply knew about the Velvet room.

duckroll

The DLC Personas don't count towards compendium completion, right?

Also, do the DLC costumes take effect outside of the Metaverse? Would love to be able to pick my gang's outfits.

They don't count no.

The DLC costumes only appear in gameplay segments in dungeons. Most cutscenes won't have them either. Big sads.

Just finished the events leading up to the last leg of the game...

Holy shit, what a ride. Also, can I do this just like I've been doing up until now, by clearing the Palace and boss ASAP then spending the rest of the time however, or will it be like P4 where beating the boss jumps ahead to the deadline?

bunkitz

They don't count no.

The DLC costumes only appear in gameplay segments in dungeons. Most cutscenes won't have them either. Big sads.
Cool.

Fuck. That's a damn shame. Makoto looks so good in her white dress thing. 😔 I hope they'll allow them to be used outside those gameplay segments in whatever the "Golden" equivalent will be.

RalchAC

I still don't understand how the cognitive world was created though.
I think it still operates in some form even after Mementos was destroyed given they can still see and understand Morgana. And how did Yaldabaoth know Igor? Unless he was some form of god that was existing one way or another before the appearance of the cognitive world, it's improbable that he simply knew about the Velvet room.

I think other people have explained that "Gods" in SMT are usually beings created in some ways by humans. Yaldabaoth is basically a big ass Shadow that grew much stronger than the rest of them, strong enough to be able to trascend the boundaries of the Palace he was in. Instead of being fueled by one person, he got energy from the distorted desired of the public, as you can see when you try to kill the Holy Grail for the first time.

By the end of the game, it's stated that "there isn't such a thing as a real world and that their world is cognitive too. Eventhough it doesn't give a full fledged explanation, what I get is that people can uncounsciously create stuff like the TV world or the Cognitive world from Persona 4/5.

The Igor and Yaldabaoth connection I don't really know.

Most of those questions don't have a clear answer. There is some deductive thought you can do to get some "yeah, kind of" answer, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm in the camp that think you don't need a narrative piece to give a 100% clear explanation to everything that happens. Life itself is a mistery more often than not, so I'm not worried if I don't know everything in a story for certain either.

Zephyx

I think other people have explained that "Gods" in SMT are usually beings created in some ways by humans. Yaldabaoth is basically a big ass Shadow that grew much stronger than the rest of them, strong enough to be able to trascend the boundaries of the Palace he was in. Instead of being fueled by one person, he got energy from the distorted desired of the public, as you can see when you try to kill the Holy Grail for the first time.

By the end of the game, it's stated that "there isn't such a thing as a real world and that their world is cognitive too. Eventhough it doesn't give a full fledged explanation, what I get is that people can uncounsciously create stuff like the TV world or the Cognitive world from Persona 4/5.

The Igor and Yaldabaoth connection I don't really know.

I only played Persona 1 and 2 (for SMT series) so I don't have that much SMT knowledge.

Regarding cognition (ending spoilers):
Morgana saying that everything is a product of cognition so there is no such thing as a real world makes a lot of sense when you say it like that. Persona 4's TV world is definitely a product of cognition of Inaba's townsfolk. Still, I find it hard to believe that there is no one behind this cognition thing occurring in the Persona universe. May it be some God or human psychology in action is something beyond whatever explanation we can get at this point.

Most of those questions don't have a clear answer. There is some deductive thought you can do to get some "yeah, kind of" answer, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm in the camp that think you don't need a narrative piece to give a 100% clear explanation to everything that happens. Life itself is a mistery more often than not, so I'm not worried if I don't know everything in a story for certain either.

Well, curiosity gets the better of me sometimes. A combination of cognition, gods and demons, and human psychology is not something you see regularly in any media. The train of thought to create a compelling story behind these themes is interesting for me that I want to understand what went through their minds when conceptualizing the game.

Regarding cognition (ending spoilers):
Morgana saying that everything is a product of cognition so there is no such thing as a real world makes a lot of sense when you say it like that. Persona 4's TV world is definitely a product of cognition of Inaba's townsfolk. Still, I find it hard to believe that there is no one behind this cognition thing occurring in the Persona universe. May it be some God or human psychology in action is something beyond whatever explanation we can get at this point.

This kinda touches on something thats been going through my mind. Maybe its just my attempt to reconcile the mythologies for multiple games, but I feel like:

Despite the game framing the endgame being
a fight that will destroy the cognitive world, I believe that the collective subconscious / cognitive world are things that have always existed and will continue to exist as long as humans do.

At the end of the game where we defeat Yadlaboath and "destroy" the cognitive world, I suspect that all we are really doing is ending the "palace" aspect of it (the distortion where Yadlaboath reigns supreme). This is similar to the endings or other palaces where their destruction doesn't end the users cognition entirely — only their distorted version of it. Its just that in Yadlaboath / Mementos' case, the scope for that is so large that it appears that the world is ending.

Morgana's dialogue in the cutscene after the battle seems to impliy that a cognitive world will continue to exist. And tbh, that would be the only logical reason for him to continue to exist that matches his explanation of why he was able to return as well.

The continuing existence of a cognitive world explains some aspects of previous games and leaves the door open for sequels imo, but this might just be my interpretation — i'm interested in seeing what others think.

FHIZ

What's the most ideal luck stat to do confuse Mementos boss farming? I just tested my Persona I'm using who has 35 luck and usually I'd just get an item one turn and then the next turn nothing, followed by confuse ending. Also, is there any specific mementos request that people use for this method?

What's the most ideal luck stat to do confuse Mementos boss farming? I just tested my Persona I'm using who has 35 luck and usually I'd just get an item one turn and then the next turn nothing, followed by confuse ending. Also, is there any specific mementos request that people use for this method?

Just use the highest luck persona possible, I used Forneus with Pulinpa and confuse boost yesterday to farm some 8 million from Chernobog Mementos boss. Just get your teammates killed and it get's very tolerable to do. I don't think that there is any specific one that is THE best one, in general later in the Mementos the better. It was "Swindling Old Folk is Pretty Low" request. Which is ironically the last one you can confuse.

The Chernobog boss uses 90% time physical skills and rarely uses Tentra-whatever the medium confuse on all skill is. It threw 45k to 58k when I farmed him. You can get Confuse Boost card by zapping Onmoraki.

Did some of the leftover trophies like fishing, home run,
Reaper
and crafting last night. Now I just need to do an optimal New Game+ playthrough before I get the Platinum.

JBwB

Platinum trophy acquired!

Ended up having to play through the whole story again as I didn't manage to max all confidants in my first playthrough. Despite the combat being hilariously easy in NG+ I still really enjoyed experiencing the story and confidants again.

cj_iwakura

Palace 7...

So is this endgame? Is there any more time for social linking, or is that it? This kind of feels like the last dungeon of P4, where there's no longer any time, it's do or die.

Answer vaguely if possible, thanks.

LiK

Palace 7...

So is this endgame? Is there any more time for social linking, or is that it? This kind of feels like the last dungeon of P4, where there's no longer any time, it's do or die.

sorta. yes.

Vinc

Palace 7...

The game doesn't abruptly end after you finish the palace, but that mission deadline is pretty much your SL deadline.

cj_iwakura

I can't stress enough how great it would have been for the MC to voice his choices like Geralt does in The Witcher. So many great possible voice acting opportunities, beats just yelling out Persona names and occasional quips.

ZeroX03

Banned
Wow, how crazy was it that the true final villain was an evil God!?

I assume, I haven't beaten the game yet lol. About to find out. It'd be funny if they subverted the trend that every other damn SMT game has followed but I don't expect it.

cj_iwakura

Wow, how crazy was it that the true final villain was an evil God!?

I assume, I haven't beaten the game yet lol. About to find out. It'd be funny if they subverted the trend that every other damn SMT game has followed but I don't expect it.

Man I was about to go off on you like a Freidyne.

And, well, there's...

Uh...

My team's pretty much been MC/Ann/Ryuji/Makoto, as for the current dungeon..

(11/21 SPOILER)
I'm really bummed about Akechi. I was digging his skill set. Robin Hood was great, too. I was lucky to not have that spoiled.

I did suspect he had good reason to sell the team out during the festival, but once he joined up I let it go. What a turn around.

LiK

I can't stress enough how great it would have been for the MC to voice his choices like Geralt does in The Witcher. So many great possible voice acting opportunities, beats just yelling out Persona names and occasional quips.

No kidding. He says so many things in the game already. Should've just done so.

cj_iwakura

My favorite dungeon so far was probably 4. It kind of felt like they got less interactive as time went on, 3's puzzles in particular were great. They slowly became more fetch-questy.

Also loved all the hidden nooks and crannies in 4.

ZeroX03

Banned
My team's pretty much been MC/Ann/Ryuji/Makoto, as for the current dungeon..

(11/21 SPOILER)
I'm really bummed about Akechi. I was digging his skill set. Robin Hood was great, too. I was lucky to not have that spoiled.

I did suspect he had good reason to sell the team out during the festival, but once he joined up I let it go. What a turn around.

When I saw
Akechi's movelist and that they didn't bother to full flesh out his social link, I immediately knew he was the traitor. Seemed super obvious, it's a shame when gameplay things televise twists.

cj_iwakura

When I saw
Akechi's movelist and that they didn't bother to full flesh out his social link, I immediately knew he was the traitor. Seemed super obvious, it's a shame when gameplay things televise them.

(11/21)
I suspected it, but I wanted to think there was going to be other reasons, like something would happen, or he just wasn't available like everyone else. I just went along with it once he joined up. Damn shame, he felt like Naoto but useful. I liked that he had physical, almighty, curse, and bless.

That evil expression though, I love when they lay that on at JUST the right moment.

"Foolish woman..."

LiK

My favorite dungeon so far was probably 4. It kind of felt like they got less interactive as time went on, 3's puzzles in particular were great. They slowly became more fetch-questy.

I'm currently replaying the game in NG+ and have completed the first 5 palaces. 3 is still my fave in terms of music and concept. The obstacles also didn't really wear out their welcome. It's probably the best designed dungeon, imo. All the other ones got a bit long in the tooth or repetitive to me. 4 is okay. I was mainly annoyed with how many enemies are in it. 5 was still a chore even tho i knew what to do.

Bladenic

I'm not sure if I could pick out a clear favorite, maybe dungeon 3? I dunno. However 4's theme is so good, especially given the story and title of the track

(Spoilers to be safe)
The best palace theme is def Whims of Fate though.

Anyway I finally finished it last night. 96 hours. I accidentally forgot to change party members so my final boss party was Ryuji, Haru, and Makoto (would used Ann in place of Haru) but we wrecked shop. Final boss was lame as hell and piss easy. I also noticed I had been on Hard for the final dungeon(s). Don't even remember when I changed difficulties (can't remember if I was on Hard for Palace7). But since I was level 82 with almost all the high level personas like Michael it was still easy. Kinda wish I hadn't done the reaper thing three times but oh well.

Definitely a slay and will probably get the re-release. Now to continue Persona 4 Golden. Although I may as well get the Platinum, I'm on 93% compendium and got everything else that's not New G+.

cj_iwakura

In hindsight, 11/21...

I was expecting the traitor to be a red herring, they just said that to make him give up his friends and confidants. Maybe that would have been better, but oh well.

Just noticed the time on the board at the subway station during the Start-up screen is the same as your PS4 time.

Same on PS3 too.

vypek

No kidding. He says so many things in the game already. Should've just done so.

I agree as well. I think the MC has a pretty good voice actor as well from the few spoken lines that exist. But I pretty much like them all with the exception of Haru

what level were y'all when you fought
shido? Think i need to be more proactive on stripping his buffs. one of his attacks one shots my whole party from full hp. my party is level 60

ZeroX03

Banned
what level were y'all when you fought
shido? Think i need to be more proactive on stripping his buffs. one of his attacks one shots my whole party from full hp. my party is level 60

I'm 62 on Normal and they didn't kill a party member once. Getting rid of buffs immediately and keeping to 80%+ health.

pantsmith

ST1tUA6.jpg

Uh, thanks for the help...

LiK

I agree as well. I think the MC has a pretty good voice actor as well from the few spoken lines that exist. But I pretty much like them all with the exception of Haru

Yea, she's a bit forced at times but I didn't mind her much. At least it wasn't awful like with the Tower Confidant.

Should I be taking on the Reaper in Mementos yet? I haven't even bothered trying.

You can try. You can always run away if he's kicking your ass.

cj_iwakura

My favorite VA has probably been Jamieson Price. It's refreshing to see him playing someone that isn't PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER for once. He really nailed Sojiro.

Ryuji is great, too, for effectively being the comic relief.

Ha. Losers.

Who voiced the SIU Director? I swear he's been in everything.

vypek

Uh, thanks for the help...

LMAO. wth?!

Yea, she's a bit forced at times but I didn't mind her much. At least it wasn't awful like with the Tower Confidant.

I think I can tolerate the tower confidant more because his voice is pretty familiar to me. Pretty sure its the same voice of Kite in the .hack series so I'm used to the really childish voice.

EDIT:
Built myself a pretty lucky Shiki Ouji. I'm going to use it on a double boss since it makes some good money. Gonna recoup the fusion costs and then really go hard at working on the compendium soon.

daveo42

Banned
Flu days for the reaper are the best and seem to have been made just to take down the reaper. Unlike previous Persona, it seems almost impossible to take him down through normal means since he's immune to all status effects applied by the party and high a sky high defense.

TR_

20170508_125918.jpg

20170508_125957.jpg

The Futaba trophy was so hard to get for me lol. Maybe I shouldn't have fused yoshitsune the moment I got strength 10 that weeb lord is way too strong.

LiK

Flu days for the reaper are the best and seem to have been made just to take down the reaper. Unlike previous Persona, it seems almost impossible to take him down through normal means since he's immune to all status effects applied by the party and high a sky high defense.

Yea, I'm currently going through NG+ and will do the exploit as well just cuz I need to level up a lot to continue the Strength SLink. Shame it works cuz the Reaper used to be scary until this game lol.

The problem with the reaper design in this one is that you have to kill him at like level 67. Since thats about as high as you can get before last chance to kill him.

I Despair killed him once, got to 73, then killed him normal. On hard with my broken personas it wasnt too challenging. Party ate a Mahamaon once, but endures triggered.

40 already gives you around 50k per toss. It will depend on how much time you want to spent grinding money, the more luck, the less time it will take to farm, but you will be limited on your ability to have a high luck persona until later due to Gallows constrictions unless you get a DLC persona which vcomes with high stats and find a way to give him a confusion ability and confuse boost.

daveo42

Banned
Yea, I'm currently going through NG+ and will do the exploit as well just cuz I need to level up a lot to continue the Strength SLink. Shame it works cuz the Reaper used to be scary until this game lol.

He's still somewhat scary depending on your luck with flu being applied. He nearly wiped my party a few times by using Concentrate and a heavy ma- magic that hit a character weakness. But ya, he's not all that scary and even less so once you have Star maxed out.

LiK

Nothing more annoying than when you Confuse a Mementos boss and he/she keeps tossing out items instead of money. I just lose patience and kill them. lol

He's still somewhat scary depending on your luck with flu being applied. He nearly wiped my party a few times by using Concentrate and a heavy ma- magic that hit a character weakness. But ya, he's not all that scary and even less so once you have Star maxed out.

I mean you can always hope he gets despaired, and if he do. Just guard yourself until he kills himself.

Top Bottom