• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Ferrio

Banned
I think they did a decent job making him likeable in
Palace 6
. I liked him at that point anyway.

I disagree.
Character has been horrible the whole way through, palace 6 included. By the time palace 6 came around I wanted nothing to do with him. They made him so unlikable and fake that the eventual reveal fell flat. I hope they don't try to redeem him, cause it's going to feel just as fake

Watching people play this game on Twitch just shows how much people hate that character. Whenever he comes up chat is nothing but DansGame and puke emotes.

Lunar15

I think he was supposed to come across as an arrogant asshole most of the time, but also sympathetic by the end because
he is a product of his upbringing and is cast as the polar opposite of Joker. Basically "it's not his fault he's shitty because he had been fucked by both corrupt adults and his own fate."
It's not the best, but I think that was their intention.

I'm more referring to earlier in the game, when he's on screen talking about what the Phantom Thieves are doing. I don't think you're actually supposed to hate him there, even if the result is that he comes off as really frustrating.

LiK

I disagree.
Character has been horrible the whole way through, palace 6 included. By the time palace 6 came around I wanted nothing to do with him. They made him so unlikable and fake that the eventual reveal fell flat. I hope they don't try to redeem him, cause it's going to feel just as fake

Same.
He came off as a douchebag to me through the whole game. I think the English VA did a good job with him. I kept thinking "What a punchable face"

Astral

I disagree.

I can totally see that. I think the reason I felt differently was because
I didn't think he was faking it throughout the Palace.
You're in for some disappointment btw lol.

Quonny

Not hightlighting anything, only on Palace 5, but he definitely was somewhat sympathetic right from the get-go. Of course, he burned that over the course of your next couple interactions, but every time he gets off the train and talks to you I always go 'oh, he's not so bad'.

Then 2 minutes later his face gets it's punchability right back.

daveo42

Banned
I'm more referring to earlier in the game, when he's on screen talking about what the Phantom Thieves are doing. I don't think you're actually supposed to hate him there, even if the result is that he comes off as really frustrating.

I didn't get that feeling at all. Mainly because (tagged just in case)
of his role at that stage in relation to Joker and the Phantom Thieves. My main reaction to him from the start was a mix of distrust and sarcasm with the hope of calling him out on his bs and he always came back with such a fake and heartless response that reeked of "I'm better than you".

I disagree.

I think the best thing about that period of the game is (post palace 6)
going to Mementos and seeing how he just does not gel with the rest of the team at all. Everyone else is cracking jokes and having fun and Akechi is all "wow it sure is cool to see this place

[late game spoilers]
I initially loved Akechi, because I was really hoping they would address the dubious morality of a group of dumbass teenagers rooting around in someone's soul and essentially brainwashing them, even if the person in question was a rapist teacher who beat the shit out of his students. I was kind of rooting for him.

But as the game went on, I grew closer to the Thieves and I correctly perceived Akechi as a threat, and I liked him less and less. Every time he showed up in Leblanc, I told him to get the fuck out.

In the end, I felt like an asshole since he was just as much a victim as anyone else, but at the same time, I was pissed that the Thieves were so quick to sympathize with a backstabbing serial killer.

Overall,
I think he was a pretty good character, albeit kind of a wasted opportunity to really dig into and assert the morality of the Thieves' methods.

Lunar15

Relistening to the Palace 4 theme and it's really quite excellent.

Everything about Palace 4 is perfect, in my opinion. It's not too long, has a great story that takes the best of P3 and P4, it looks beautiful, and has some of the best music in the game. It's definitely a high mark in the game.

So far, I've genuinely loved all the palaces aside from 5 and 7, which are both a little drab and long. 7 isn't even really that bad and the idea is awesome, it's just that basing your dungeon on
The Diet Building
actually kind of makes it look a little bland in comparison to previous dungeons.

Opa-Pa

What I liked about them deliberately making Akechi annoying is that they let you be an ass to him, but also say stuff like "Honey I'm home" lmao.

He's truly the Komaeda of Persona.

PK Gaming

I actually wish Palace 7 was longer

With infinitely less repetition of course. I would have preferred if it was the final dungeon (ala Magatsu Mandala) with the scenery getting more warped and enemies getting stronger the deeper you get inside. I also don't think the dungeon boss should have just been Shido's shadow but i'm struggling to think of an alternative.

Lunar15

I actually wish Palace 7 was longer

With infinitely less repetition of course. I would have preferred if it was the final dungeon (ala Magatsu Mandala) with the scenery getting more warped and enemies getting stronger the deeper you get inside. I also don't think the dungeon boss should have just been Shido's shadow but i'm struggling to think of an alternative.

Actually, this basically mirrors my feelings about everything as well. Also would have liked a few more of those big set-piece moments where you do some acrobatics. Those always gave a strong mental image for each dungeon.

Zesh

I just finished palace 7 in NG+, and I think it has probably become my favorite. Cool theme, good music, lots of boss battles, best calling card, and a great final boss and boss theme. I think there's maybe one too many rat mazes, but I actually didn't mind them at all in my second run when I knew exactly where to go.

Palace 7 would have been perfect if not for rats. The not-really-puzzles like that all sucked super hard. None of them actually made you think, so it was just tedium.

Fjordson

Relistening to the Palace 4 theme and it's really quite excellent.
I just beat Palace 4 last night, so good. Everything about it was great.

I'm kinda surprised that I've already downed four palaces, though. I'm only at 40 hours played and as far as I know only have a few more palaces to go. Hopefully the pace slows down a bit in the second half (don't want the game to end lol).

The thing that I really disliked about the way Persona 5 handled it's overall themes and story, was how shitty and incompetent the adults were in that game. Not a single one of them was capable of doing anything independently and all of them had to be saved/shown the light by the Phantoms.

The worst offender to me was
Sae
and how incompetent
she
was. At the end of the game when
she
says [end game spoilers]
"trust us adults to fix the situation" or something like that, the "I'm not so sure" option was waaaaay too nice.

I'm not that far yet but I'd assume the school library. Is there no class in December?

Or do you have to clear out the customers out of the cafe before you read?

December spoiler
Cant go to the school since I am "dead"
And cant clear out customers unless its the evening.

The thing that I really disliked about the way Persona 5 handled it's overall themes and story, was how shitty and incompetent the adults were in that game. Not a single one of them was capable of doing anything independently and all of them had to be saved/shown the light by the Phantoms.

Sae
and how incompetent
she
she
says [end game spoilers]
"trust us adults to fix the situation" or something like that, the "I'm not so sure" option was waaaaay too nice.

Yeah. The smartest thing she did in the whole game was
choose to not be an obstacle to the Phantom Thieves anymore.

Her hair sure is cool though

duckroll

Got to the end of Palace 7. Loved every moment of it. The events at the end was something I've waited half the game for. Sooooooooo good.

I love the way the Palaces are designed. Probably the most SMT influence in level design in a Persona game since.... Persona 2? Low bar to clear though. :p

Finally managed to trigger Shinya's Mementos request. Started fishing because other than Ohya I have no more night time Confidants. Entered Mementos on Dec 9th, last Flu day. Ready to "kill" another Reaper while clearing requests and exploring the new tier. Will do that tomorrow.

100 hours in now. <3 this game.

Lunar15

Got to the end of Palace 7. Loved every moment of it. The events at the end was something I've waited half the game for. Sooooooooo good.

I love the way the Palaces are designed. Probably the most SMT influence in level design in a Persona game since.... Persona 2? Low bar to clear though. :p

Finally managed to trigger Shinya's Mementos request. Started fishing because other than Ohya I have no more night time Confidants. Entered Mementos on Dec 9th, last Flu day. Ready to "kill" another Reaper while clearing requests and exploring the new tier. Will do that tomorrow.

Did you fight the boss yet?

vypek

December spoiler
Cant go to the school since I am "dead"
And cant clear out customers unless its the evening.

Ah gotcha. I have no idea what other locations would work then

Big spoiler by the way, if you haven't got there don't read that.

I read this post too late. Scrolled down and stopped where the reply to me was. It's okay though. I don't really mind spoilers and I had an idea about this already :)

Lunar15

Which one? Lol. I haven't sent the Calling Card. Gotta clear out Mementos first!

Oh, ok. just seeing what you were referring to by the event at "the end". More good stuff to go!

But yes, what's interesting to me about this game is that it seems significantly more SMT inspired than the past two Personas, and that's not just the fact that we're fighting demons.

PK Gaming

I'm looking forward to your overall thoughts on the game.

Don't cheap out on the big ass post, you hear me?

DC1

I can totally see that. I think the reason I felt differently was because
I didn't think he was faking it throughout the Palace.
You're in for some disappointment btw lol.
You spoil protected the wrong sentence.

Danganronpa 2 spoilers + late game spoilers:

Akechi to me, felt like a poor, poor, poor mans Nagito all along. Which he to be honest ultimately was.

DC1

Sae
and how incompetent
she
she
says [end game spoilers]

Sparda!! Stop being a baller!

You are absolutely right.
The convenient "trust us with your life..even though no one could get things right prior to your engagement. And... I need you to turn yourself into the police in order to prove out an unsubstantiated reality to validate a confession that we believe is absolute! And by the way, I can't guarantee your your freedom (you may be ruined for the rest of you like for saving the planet.)" Kind of rubs me the wrong way..

Still love the game tho.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Dat Palace 6 music tho

GIF-agree-nod-okay-satisfied-so-thinking-yes-GIF.gif

Finally another track with vocals and its so good. Meguro + Lyn are amazing.

PK Gaming

Sae
and how incompetent
she
she
says [end game spoilers]

No, the adults in this game are actually pretty competent. Let's break it down:

• Confidants for the most part, are self-sufficient. Yeah, they get a little push from the protagonist from to time, but they come to conclusions about bettering their lives on their own. And they go about fixing things on their own. The exception is when they're literally stuck in an impossible situation, which is where the Phantom Thieves help them out, and even then, the're proactive about wrapping things up on their own. Also Tora is a fucking baller.
  • On the antagonist side, you have *spoilers*
    Shido who manipulates literally everyone for his own success, his various lackeys who hold powerful positions in society, and the other palace owners who fucked over tons of people to get ahead in life. None of these people are incompetent.
    *How you got "incompetent" from Sae is beyond me. She's like, extremely competent during the 2nd half of the game.
It's such a large contrast from P4 and its hilariously inept adults. A far cry from "I got upstaged by a 15 year old and i'm going to drink and be sad about also i'm too stubborn to accept supernatural phenomena just because."

Also the less said about the adults in P3, the better.

Top Bottom