• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

yo im at palace 5 and just saw the big boss for the first time

this costume

what am I looking
To infinity and beyond?

I'm on 10/13 and about 62 hours in, am I past the halfway point now? Only stat I have maxed is Charm due to Empress being locked super early. Want to go into mementos but I'm blocked by plot reasons.

Kawakami - Where's this magical evidence? She hands them money and they keep quiet... that's literally it. I love how you suggest she hires a lawyer, as if that'll magically fix everything (nevermind that hiring a lawyer fact is expensive as hell). It doesn't prevent them from contacting the school and telling them about her other jobs. Problem unsolved.
Tae - Oh yeah, keep a low profile while people are literally dying of disease. But that's not even the issue here; the issue is that she's under the mistaken belief that the girl she was treating is dead, and that she was set up for it. There's no "getting over" that.
Chihaya - She legally owes them money, and the police can't do shit. (Not that they would want to, considering it's Japan)

I'm not sure i'm even refuting these ridiculously shallow "suggestions." You still haven't proven how any of these characters are actually "incompetent." Relying on help in your time of need doesn't make you an incompetent person, and being be able to turn your life around with help is pretty fucking impressive..
You are just making ridiculous arguments to prove that they are in impossible situations.

Kawakami -
Let's completely ignore the fact that they threaten her multiple times, on phone and in person. Yes, they telepathically make their demands you can't gather any evidence against them.
Tae -
That's unfortunate, but she can still develop the medicine and save many other lives, which is something that she wanted to do from the beginning of her confidant when she didn't know her previous patient was alive. She could also try to clear her name after making the actual medicine, but that obviously doesn't matter.
Chihaya -
Police can do shit about people getting conned. Especially if they have someone who knows the con artists and can testify against them.

Some of them are literally just sitting there waiting for some miracle to happen. And all of them try to give up or have no idea how they are gonna get themselves out of those situations, and again decide to wait for some miracle to happen.

But obviously that's just the normal way of acting for competent people when they are faced with problems/obstacles in their life.
Oh yeah, keep zeroing on this one point that's completely unrelated to my main argument regarding Shido. Shido is a competent adult, period.

"Hey this guy can't do shit without this particular person paving the entire way for him. But that doesn't matter, he can do a lot after the way has been paved for him. He is completely competent."

Yeah i'm done, haha. You just have this profound misunderstanding of pretty much the entire back half of Persona 5.
Sure, let's completely shrug off the things that don't fit in our argument and instead make a broad statement to say the other guy is wrong.

Zesh

Beat the NG+ boss on hard at level 65, but was forced to use Yoshitsune. Just couldn't keep up with the damage requirement otherwise.

Link1110

I'm 60 hours in, and so far it seems like 90 won't be too bad. It's not like Trails of Cold Steel where we have plot twists and the game doesn't seem to notice and just continues it's formula as of nothing happened. Though it can be annoying, I do like that you can't progress certain confidants past certain levels until you do plot flags. Makes me feel like the story is progressing more than say, everything in ToCS chapter 5 except
the fight with Laura's dad
I spoiled the identity of the traitor, and
he even had the same name as the one from
ToCS. Interesting how the games are so similar, playing them back to back was a shockingly good decision on my part.

Arkeband

Banned
Beat it this morning, my thoughts:
A lot of plot points seemed only to happen because they needed to happen - "why didn't the police confirm the suicide of the phantom thief" "uhhh because shut up that's why".

Skipping past all of the stupid plot holes, bad localization, and boring/pointless anime cutscenes, the idea of what they were going for was competent, yet cliche. We even had the "everyone cheer for the protagonist and send them encouragement" final boss encounter that is in literally every JRPG.

I don't know why they didn't turn Morgana into a human, they had him bitching about it the entire game, and he even gave them a monologue about how they can change the world just on how they perceive it, so just perceive him as a boy? Whatever.
Anyway, I enjoyed it for the music and visuals and some well directed scenes, but it was definitely overhyped like crazy. Maybe if the localization and writing was better and if it was paced better I would rate it higher.

Mfw people still complaining about the localization

hqdefault.jpg

FHIZ

So I maxed out my wallet at 9,999,999. I got 67% compendium completion. When I can start fusing whatever I want, will that be enough money? Or do I need another round of mementos farming?

Mfw people still complaining about the localization

hqdefault.jpg

I mean, if you have the bar that low, feel free not to join in the conversation, it's obviously not something you care about.

Regarding the localization, however, it's easy to see that It's leagues below their prior work, and they really need to make another pass (or more) with a single translator/editor pair for the re-release. It's especially bad where in multiple places the VO doesn't even match the text.

See here if you're interested to know more.

I wonder if we'll ever see them respond to this - they released a statement on the issue in Apocalypse, and IMO these are far worse.

Beat it this morning, my thoughts:
A lot of plot points seemed only to happen because they needed to happen - "why didn't the police confirm the suicide of the phantom thief" "uhhh because shut up that's why".

Skipping past all of the stupid plot holes, bad localization, and boring/pointless anime cutscenes, the idea of what they were going for was competent, yet cliche. We even had the "everyone cheer for the protagonist and send them encouragement" final boss encounter that is in literally every JRPG.

I don't know why they didn't turn Morgana into a human, they had him bitching about it the entire game, and he even gave them a monologue about how they can change the world just on how they perceive it, so just perceive him as a boy? Whatever.
Anyway, I enjoyed it for the music and visuals and some well directed scenes, but it was definitely overhyped like crazy. Maybe if the localization and writing was better and if it was paced better I would rate it higher.

When I started playing, I expected to cringe my face off with the "ffffuck adults!" premise, but I thought it actually did a really good job at expressing the frustration and anger of youth in a sympathetic way. I ended up being a little disappointed that they eased up on that angle for a couple dungeons after
dungeon 4 hit it out of the park.

The public just made some comments like "eh, Shido seems kind of iffy. Have you heard those rumors?" Without Joker's testimony, they never would have been able to put the final nail in Shido's coffin.
ENDING SPOILERS
I'm kinda confused on that myself, though. Yeah, they say they need Joker's testimony... But then, while they indeed to bring up Shido on charges,
none of those charges have anything to do with murder/the mental shutdowns/or any of that, because they end up not buying any of the stuff about the Metaverse/the cognitive world. Sae nonetheless says Joker's testimony was useful, but what they nail him on has nothing to do with the Phantom Thieves' business or the Metavere or anything.

That being the case, why exactly did Joker need to confess to being the leader of the Phantom Thieves exactly? None of the stuff they got him on has anything to do with that, so why was it so necessary for Joker to confess to being the leader in that case? Indeed, the fact that Joker was let go at all just further corroborates that they didn't give a fuck about any of that Metaverse stuff and weren't having any of it.

After all, if they did, it wouldn't matter how much good PR and how awesome a person his friends and Confidants said he was. Either as the leader of the Phantom Thieves Joker had committed a crime, or he didn't. No amount of talk about how awesome Joker is otherwise would change that and would be completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, regardless of how important Sae and your teammates make that sound at the end. So the fact that they let Joker go at all and didn't charge him with something, combined with what they did and didn't charge Shido for, really just demonstrates that they don't seem to take all that Phantom Thief and Metaverse stuff that seriously because even with Joker's testimony there just isn't enough evidence.

So that being the case, why did Joker actually need to confess to being the leader of the Phantom Thieves since whatever testimony took him down wouldn't have actually had anything to do with the Metaverse or Phantom Thief business at all and should have been stuff Joker should have been able to admit to just as a witness or whatever without himself confessing? Sae admitting that they weren't having any of the Metaverse stuff for Shido and so weren't going to go with conspiracy to commit murder or anything just left me confused as to what the point of all that really was. I'm just confused as to what Joker was actually supposed to have said that actually helped and given what happened why he only give whatever that vital testimony was by confessing to being the Phantom Thieves' Leader.

If anything, it just seemed to be a way to shoehorn in a theme of "you don't need superpowers! Hard work can work and accomplish things after all!" despite nothing in the story, confidants, or anything at all indicating that would in any way be a theme and directly running against it, until they decide to suddenly bring it up with your friends working to get you free. It just feels odd and tacked on and at odds with the rest of the game and not at all an actually earned theme or message for this particular game. It's nonetheless an important one and it's definitely good it's there, I won't complain about that, but it's weird about how suddenly it comes up at the end.

Bladenic

The only sentence before that is something to the tune of "Your rehabilitation is proceeding well" - so even in context, it's pretty stilted, much like the rest of the localization.

Sounds extremely nitpicky. Plus if we're gonna be talking stilted, Persona 3 and Persona 4 weren't much (or at all?) better. But whatever, I'm not a professional. I didn't see anything infuriating like text not matching what was said (like Tales of Berseria).

Just to share, RPGFan just gave out their review for Persona 5: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Persona_5/index.html

87%

Sad thing is that I kinda agree with it - the underlying game is good, and the improvements to almost all systems are noticeable, but there are issues that cannot be ignored.

I don't like saying it - as I was hoping for the absolute best with the game - but it's true.

Hopefully they fix things - and add some cool new ones - with the re-release.

Sounds extremely nitpicky. Plus if we're gonna be talking stilted, Persona 3 and Persona 4 weren't much (or at all?) better. But whatever, I'm not a professional. I didn't see anything infuriating like text not matching what was said (like Tales of Berseria).

I - personally, at least - never had an issue with the localization of Persona 3 and Persona 4. Things flowed naturally and I never had to re-read what was said to make sense of it like I did multiple times during Persona 5.

Speaking of Persona 5, at the first safe room in (lategame spoiler)
Shido
's Palace, Sakura has a line that she reverses (compared to the text on screen) and in (lategame spoiler)
Lavenza's battle in the velvet room
, there are multiple lines that do not match what is spoken.

LotusHD

Banned
What's so bad about that..? Seems like it's taken out of context.

Even if it was, it's not exactly a secret that the localization/script could use some work...

Just to share, RPGFan just gave out their review for Persona 5: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Persona_5/index.html

87%

Later still, a sidequest introduced me to a nameless woman too afraid to leave her abusive boyfriend. I dove into Mementos to change his heart through force, and doing so saw him reward me with, presumably, the length of pipe he'd been beating her with. It was a weapon for Ryuji. I felt sick.

Well damn, never thought about it like that.

I mean, if you have the bar that low, feel free not to join in the conversation, it's obviously not something you care about.

Regarding the localization, however, it's easy to see that It's leagues below their prior work, and they really need to make another pass (or more) with a single translator/editor pair for the re-release. It's especially bad where in multiple places the VO doesn't even match the text.

See here if you're interested to know more.

I wonder if we'll ever see them respond to this - they released a statement on the issue in Apocalypse, and IMO these are far worse.

Everything that I've seen pointed out has been either minor errors or nitpicky things. It's not even a horrible localization, players would have straight up dropped the game if it was half as bad as most people claim it to be.

Arkeband

Banned

"This is not necessarily to prove so, but" is a nonsense string of words that didn't have anything to do with what came before or after it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
When you have to bring up a 87% review to bolster your point that a game is shit...ooff. Atlus did more than good here I feel.

When you have to bring up a 87% review to bolster your point that a game is shit...ooff. Atlus did more than good here I feel.

???

I mean, that's a swing & a miss, if you're going for a strawman. Was that person trying "to prove that a game was shit" for simply pointing out a review from a notable outlet?

The fact that the localization is subpar wasn't mentioned in that post.

Guess Who

Banned
Well damn, never thought about it like that.

That seems like a huge stretch. Mementos sidequest rewards are almost always unrelated to the actual content of the quest. Nothing in the text implies the weapon you get is a lead pipe he beat his girlfriend with.

JBwB

So I maxed out my wallet at 9,999,999. I got 67% compendium completion. When I can start fusing whatever I want, will that be enough money? Or do I need another round of mementos farming?

That should be more than enough.

Fusing personas only gets incredibly expensive when you're way below the level needed to fuse them.

LotusHD

Banned
That seems like a huge stretch. Mementos sidequest rewards are almost always unrelated to the actual content of the quest. Nothing in the text implies the weapon you get is a lead pipe he beat his girlfriend with.

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, just that I literally never thought about like that lmao

Quonny

Wow October sucks. Like 14 days where you can't go into Mementos, have stupid day-long activities that really would only take a couple hours to complete, exam days, and so on.

Like this stretch has seriously soured me on the game.

Grisby

August 29 spoilers:

I spent a good 30 seconds watching the animation where Futaba tries to get the lobsters from Yusuke.

Wow October sucks. Like 14 days where you can't go into Mementos, have stupid day-long activities that really would only take a couple hours to complete, exam days, and so on.

Like this stretch has seriously soured me on the game.

It's made worse by how fast everything suddenly starts happening afterwards - the pacing is real awkward in the second half.

At the very least you don't have to wait too long for things to pick up again.

Opa-Pa

I don't think the pipe thing is a stretch at all, I remember getting related items almost every time I got rewards. Like for example how that abusive girl that beats the guy she likes "because she owns him and he probably likes it" gives you a whip for Ann, or how beating the doctor guy gives you the mediarama skill card.

Granted, I don't have the name or description of the weapon at hand, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Wereroku

"This is not necessarily to prove so, but" is a nonsense string of words that didn't have anything to do with what came before or after it.
It's not nonsense. He said his rehabilitation was going well so he was going to increase his storage limit however the increase was not proof of his progress. It's a very awkward sentence but I am guessing they were going to a specific speech pattern. A lot of the translation problems seem to stem from them trying to translate specific speech patterns from Japanese to an English equivalent.

Quonny

It's made worse by how fast everything suddenly starts happening afterwards - the pacing is real awkward in the second half.

Some of the decisions that Atlus made are super weird too. Can't read during the day because...reasons. Can't hang out in your room during the day and play games because...reasons. Futaba is unavailable to hang out with because...reasons.

Since I'm on Memento quests and I can't go into Mementos because
oh no we need Haru
and my stats are maxed I'm quite literally just wasting my days in October doing absolutely nothing.

If this stupid stretch makes me miss out on things I had planned I'm going to lose my shit. I mean it's like 15 days where you get three free days and two free evenings.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

You know, it got me thinking, was it really the localization or dialogue's fault that made this game a bit dry, dragging, and awkward?

Take for example in P4, I always look forward to the events and scenes and when Atlus announced they were adding more scenes in P4G, I was definitely looking forward to it.

If Atlus added more scenes for P5G, I wouldn't be as enthused.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
???

I mean, that's a swing & a miss, if you're going for a strawman. Was that person trying "to prove that a game was shit" or simply pointing out a review from a notable outlet?

The fact that the localization is subpar wasn't mentioned in that post.

It was actually a dig towards you, with the "Persona 5 is mediocre" schtick. I meant it a funny/friendly way but it obviously came off wrong and assholish. I messed up on that one.

You know, it got me thinking, was it really the localization or dialogue's fault that made this game a bit dry, dragging, and awkward?

Take for example in P4, I always look forward to the events and scenes and when Atlus announced they were adding more scenes in P4G, I was definitely looking forward to it.

If Atlus added more scenes for P5G, I wouldn't be as enthused.

I feel as if it's a mix of both.

Personally, I couldn't get as immersed into the world and characters as I did in Persona 3 & 4 due to how stiff everything was written this time around. This in turn made dungeons and events feel like they took longer to get through, and exacerbated the pacing issues with the game's second half.

I mean, I'm only speaking of my opinion, but that's how I see it.

It was actually a dig towards you, with the "Persona 5 is mediocre" schtick. I meant it a funny/friendly way but it obviously came off wrong and assholish. I messed up on that one.

I mean, this is probably just me taking things overly seriously - as usual - but I never said the game is mediocre. It's great but flawed, and those flaws can definitely be fixed if Atlus cares enough to do so in the re-release.

Eylos

Banned
politics, exploitation of the workers, opression, fight against the system, Hegel, freire, Injustice, activism, red and Black as main color

Persona the anarcho-sindicalist game, Chomsky would Like, i Wonder who would be his waifu

MSMrRound

While I enjoyed the game, it isn't without its flaws in terms of localization.

Tbh I feel like some of the sting would have been lesser if the AtlusUSA CEO had not claimed that the delay from the original date was to "add in more voiced lines" and that they know this is their biggest project to date, so they wanted time to polish it up to deliver the best localization effort by them yet.

It certainly wasn't. The localization script in P4Golden and various other stuff trumped it by quite a bit. Even as one of the biggest Atlus fan in the game company I'm working in, the localization effort functions at the minimal level, but it's definitely wasn't their best.

There's even one animated segment towards the end endgame spoilers:
where the crew were reacting to the news about Joker and the message boards etc that Futaba was visiting wasn't even touched, so to the viewer can't understand what was being shown on the screen

It felt like the game's just too big and the team ran out of time and wasn't able to put in 100% of their efforts.

LiK

Damn. Just happened to max out 4 girls and romanced them back to back. I feel so fucking dirty....lol

Also, just maxed out Futaba and I loved the
Catherine figure she got. Nice Easter egg. Also loved her mentioning getting trophies and Platinum.
That was cute. I laughed.

Rainy

Banned
Just beat the 4th palace. I think I liked it the best out of the 4 so far. The music was so good!

Some of the enemies were annoying af though.

ENDING SPOILERS
I'm kinda confused on that myself, though. Yeah, they say they need Joker's testimony... But then, while they indeed to bring up Shido on charges,
none of those charges have anything to do with murder/the mental shutdowns/or any of that, because they end up not buying any of the stuff about the Metaverse/the cognitive world. Sae nonetheless says Joker's testimony was useful, but what they nail him on has nothing to do with the Phantom Thieves' business or the Metavere or anything.

That being the case, why exactly did Joker need to confess to being the leader of the Phantom Thieves exactly? None of the stuff they got him on has anything to do with that, so why was it so necessary for Joker to confess to being the leader in that case? Indeed, the fact that Joker was let go at all just further corroborates that they didn't give a fuck about any of that Metaverse stuff and weren't having any of it.

After all, if they did, it wouldn't matter how much good PR and how awesome a person his friends and Confidants said he was. Either as the leader of the Phantom Thieves Joker had committed a crime, or he didn't. No amount of talk about how awesome Joker is otherwise would change that and would be completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, regardless of how important Sae and your teammates make that sound at the end. So the fact that they let Joker go at all and didn't charge him with something, combined with what they did and didn't charge Shido for, really just demonstrates that they don't seem to take all that Phantom Thief and Metaverse stuff that seriously because even with Joker's testimony there just isn't enough evidence.

So that being the case, why did Joker actually need to confess to being the leader of the Phantom Thieves since whatever testimony took him down wouldn't have actually had anything to do with the Metaverse or Phantom Thief business at all and should have been stuff Joker should have been able to admit to just as a witness or whatever without himself confessing? Sae admitting that they weren't having any of the Metaverse stuff for Shido and so weren't going to go with conspiracy to commit murder or anything just left me confused as to what the point of all that really was. I'm just confused as to what Joker was actually supposed to have said that actually helped and given what happened why he only give whatever that vital testimony was by confessing to being the Phantom Thieves' Leader.

If anything, it just seemed to be a way to shoehorn in a theme of "you don't need superpowers! Hard work can work and accomplish things after all!" despite nothing in the story, confidants, or anything at all indicating that would in any way be a theme and directly running against it, until they decide to suddenly bring it up with your friends working to get you free. It just feels odd and tacked on and at odds with the rest of the game and not at all an actually earned theme or message for this particular game. It's nonetheless an important one and it's definitely good it's there, I won't complain about that, but it's weird about how suddenly it comes up at the end.

Interesting points. I hadn't thought about it too much, although Sae did say something about using Joker as a bargaining chip with the police's ego. It may have been more complicated and political than just Joker directly implicating Shido.

Rainy

Banned
Also I've only played about 40 hours and beat 4 palaces but I like the characters in this game a lot more than 4.

Idk I think I liked 4 a lot less than everybody else though.

Top Bottom