• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Pachinko

Well I went on a little hiatus (haven't played since last wednesday) but I've now played September 14th through to September 19th.

That small stretch was so far the only ... poorly conceived plot point, really REALLY forced and I'm talking exclusively about the Morganna/Mona sub plot being a utter waste of time there. Haru was basically fine, I didn't even mind her voice but the reasoning behind this particular palace worked well enough without throwing her in. I just fully outfitted my party thanks to some frutiful mementos runs and I've got the best weapons / armor money can buy along with SP adhesive 3 for everyone. Not attempting Palace 5 just yet but that's the next stop on the list. I'm not overly concerned how I do on social links and such but my stat star is now at 4 charm , 4 intelligence and 3 for the rest although I think kindness and proficiency are damn close to a level up. Guts though... I just haven't done much. I've also got to level 8 with 3 people now, a couple more at level 7 , a couple at level 6. Hopefully I can catch up a bit once I'm done the dungeon.

I've decided to really adhere to the load screens advice and I'm taking my time with the rest of this game. I'm just a bit over 60 hours right now and based on what I know I have left and some speculation based on this thread I'll probably spend another 30-40 hours on this playthrough. Still enjoying it quite a bit too.

TheFatMan

Well I finished up the game at 88 hours. I was pretty happy with the ending and the entire game for the most part. I felt the story over stayed it's welcome and that the characters wasted a lot of time repeating themselves over and over (Very bad at the end with that one). But honestly I maybe took problem with 8 hours of this nearly 90 hour game so I can't complain too much.

I kind of already miss the characters and it's gonna be a bummer when I stop getting to hang out with them after work for a couple hours every day haha.

daveo42

Banned
Swimsuit DLC is perfect for Palace 4.

I actually switched up clothes based on time of the year, switching to the actual thief gear during calling card days. The only exceptions I made were in Palace 6 onward.

I didn't have enough Kindness to talk to Ann. It was right before
visiting the art exhibition with Madarame and Yusuke
Eh, oh well I will get the chance again most likely if it is anything like the other stuff I missed.

Goal for the playthrough:

Make the Ultimate perfect Kaguya with Messiah as the ultimate combo. Messiah for the ultimate tanking and concentrate, Kaguya for the dps. I already have a perfect Arsene. I guess I could make a perfect physical Izanagi afterwards.

Necro900

I mean, if you have the bar that low, feel free not to join in the conversation, it's obviously not something you care about.

Regarding the localization, however, it's easy to see that It's leagues below their prior work, and they really need to make another pass (or more) with a single translator/editor pair for the re-release. It's especially bad where in multiple places the VO doesn't even match the text.

See here if you're interested to know more.

I wonder if we'll ever see them respond to this - they released a statement on the issue in Apocalypse, and IMO these are far worse.

Are the guys behind this website translators/localizers themselves?

I agree, sometimes Persona 5's localized script falls short, but most of the time it's pretty competent. Also, their ALT versions completely ignore the number one rule of translators: do not make up shit for your translation convenience.

You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown, but you will behave yourself here. (Original)

地元じゃ隠れて色々やれたのかも知れないが、ここでは大人しくしてもらう。(JP)

Do not think we'll be so lax as you're used to back home. Misdemeanor is not tolerated at Shujin. (suggested ALT)

Admittedly, the original version is quite literal and is badly phrased, but at least it doesn't reinterpret "you've done a great deal of bad things in your hometown" as "do not think we're as lax as where you come from".

Localization teams should aim for a middle ground (which I guess is what atlus tried to do): keep all the original information and phrase the sentences correctly.

Hell, they even added what probably was a key term from the glossary to a segment that didn't contain it (Shujin). I know it says "koko dewa etc. etc.", and it refers to Shujin, but this is the type of things that get ironed out when sticking to a fixed rule set. They often just ask you to work with the stuff you have. This site really reeks of unnecessary backseat localization.

Also, bear in mind that localization/translation has changed a lot in 10 years (companies just outsource everything nowadays), and when outsourcing, the creative freedom to do as these guys suggest is close to non-existent for obvious reasons.

duckroll

Had a fantastic Mementos run. Robbed a boss of over 3 million yen. So I'm sitting on like 5.5 million now. Despaired the Reaper to level everyone to 71. Fused Mara for the lolz. Cleared all the remaining floors of Mementos that are available.

Got Shinya up to Rank 9. Read the Fishing book. Ready to send the Calling Card for Palace 7 now. What's the final cut off date for all Confidants and Mementos? I'm on Dec 11 now I think.

Are the guys behind this website translators/localizers themselves?

Yes.

Also, bear in mind that localization/translation has changed a lot in 10 years (companies just outsource everything nowadays), and when outsourcing, the creative freedom to do as these guys suggest is close to non-existent for obvious reasons.

Atlus USA did not outsource the translation for Persona 5. :p

Arkain

I didn't have enough Kindness to talk to Ann. It was right before
visiting the art exhibition with Madarame and Yusuke
Eh, oh well I will get the chance again most likely if it is anything like the other stuff I missed.

Nothing is truly missable in confidants (except, ofcourse, if you don't finish them before the game ends).

You just need enough kindness to start hers. Others confidants may be gated with other stats, for example. It just puts a delay on when you can progress in confidants, and makes the social stats more important.

If you start hers later, everything will still play out exactly the same. Don't worry. It's a common Persona thing. I assume this is your first Persona game?

GSR

Had a fantastic Mementos run. Robbed a boss of over 3 million yen. So I'm sitting on like 5.5 million now. Despaired the Reaper to level everyone to 71. Fused Mara for the lolz. Cleared all the remaining floors of Mementos that are available.

Got Shinya up to Rank 9. Read the Fishing book. Ready to send the Calling Card for Palace 7 now. What's the final cut off date for all Confidants and Mementos? I'm on Dec 11 now I think.

Yes.

The last day for Confidants is
Dec 22
, although IIRC
it might only be daytime activities that day?
Also don't forget plot/exams will take a bite out of your time left.

Necro900

Yes.

Yeah, I just read this on that site as well.. yeah, well.. I'd say don't believe their lies. :p There's no way they could have left that many issues in a script working as an internal team.

(Flu)Seasons don't fear the reaper.

I must say I also didn't really feel bothered by the localisation either. I saw the website on the translation issues and when it's pointed out I thought: I see. But mostly I thought it was more of a sentence structure issue than translation problem.
Yes, it is unacceptable that a game this big by a large developer even has those problems, but at least is not as bad as it used to be in the SNES/PS1 era, we can actually understand them.

Recall

I have zero problems with the localisation either. It's totally enjoyable as it is.

So I took down the Reaper and then ended up getting proficiency to max after making tools, now to rush
Haru's
confidant to as high as I can.

duckroll

Huh. I beat the post-Palace 7 Mementos quest and Ohya's as well. That should have been all of it. No trophy unlock.... I guess I missed one somewhere? Whoops! :(

Lusankya

Huh. I beat the post-Palace 7 Mementos quest and Ohya's as well. That should have been all of it. No trophy unlock.... I guess I missed one somewhere? Whoops! :(

There are 26 in total, 5 D rank, 12 C, 5 B, 3 A, 1 S.

While technically not missable, you can fail to obtain some if you choose not to read Mishima's messages. For three you will only get the ID after you worked three times at specific part-time jobs. Also there are some you will only get via Confidants.

LiK

25. Pretty sure I got all the three part time job ones. Must of ignored one of his early messages. Welp!

Yea, he has one that requires to read his message earlier in the game. I think some other guys here missed it and didn't get the trophy.

Philippo

About to finish the game, couple of questions for NG+:

-i heard it's better to itemize all the personas i am holding because i wont keep them, is that right?

-what about party member? Do they keep anything? Level, Skills or Equip?

LiK

About to finish the game, couple of questions for NG+:

-i heard it's better to itemize all the personas i am holding because i wont keep them, is that right?

-what about party member? Do they keep anything? Level, Skills or Equip?

Party members keep all their gear but lose everything else like Skills/levels/ranks

Quadraxis

Finished the game at 110 hours. Enjoyed it a lot. I only played P4 before this (not counting other SMT games), but i think this one is much better than 4. The music was more my cup of tea, the dungeons were awesome and i personally liked the characters more. I also liked the story a lot better, loved the thieving motif that was through the whole game.

If i would give some negatives on the games it would be that there are some typical anime cliches in there that could have been left out and that (last dungeon spoilers)
the concept of the last dungeon was cool, like in changing the cognition of the masses, but the final boss was kinda eh and soured me on it. The Shido boss battle was also a lot better as a final boss than Yaldaboath. The whole part with mementos coming into the real world is something i could have done without, feels to me it was just raising the stakes while the rest of the game and palaces were a little more grounded.

Still it was a wonderful experience and i would recommend the game without a doubt. Now ATLUS, start making Devil Survivor 3 pls :D

Philippo

Party members keep all their gear but lose everything else like Skills/levels/ranks

That's a shame, i hoped for skills at least. Well equip's better than nothing.

I just got
released from prison
, will i still be able to go to the Velvet Room to itemize?

RalchAC

One of the best and most critical P5 reviews I've read so far!

It's quite well written, yeah. I think that Persona 5 (and to a bigger degree 4) are idealised versions of the high school years. But I think it goes hand in hand with the main message in the games, which is about how you should stay true to yourself despite other people's opinions. I think it's done both for nostalgia reasons and as a sort of promise: be yourself, look for people that accept you as you are and life will be much better.

I don't agree 100% with the Shiho part. She is an important part of Ann Confidant storyline and her decision to
change schools at the ends makes a lot of sense
. I'd have liked the game to have a Confidant for her, but most story arcs are usually self contained and the unfinished plot threads are thrown into Confidants. Same happens with Yusuke and Haru. And, honestly, I don't think a Shiho Confidant will easily work well. I mean, people with past history of
sexual abuse
have it quite rough. The harem valentines day scene would be distasteful to a whole new level with her imo. And the devs wanted every woman to be romanceable.

I definitely saw the "no parents" problem they talked about, but I think it's not that badly done. Most of the "parent-less" kids in the game don't turn out badly. But parents do a really important job at keeping their kids safe from the dangers of the outside world, so having most of them lacking one or both parent figures helps them be more vulnerable. Like:

Ryuji's mother is raising him alone and she sure has to work a lot to raise him.
Ann's parents not being at home makes it harder to have a relationship in which they truly trust each other.
Yusuke's parents not being around made it much easier for Madarame to manipulate him.
The whole relationship and tension between Sae and Makoto is built due to the pressure both feel due to her situation.
Having Haru's mother around could have prevented his father to engage her to such a shithead

My first Persona game complete.

Total run time was 80:24. I maxed out my stats and all social links except five of them. Overall, I loved it. Some of the dungeons were better than others, but I'm glad I finally got in to the series.

Philippo

The final dungeon had access to Velvet Room but once you beat the last boss, you lose access for good.

That's a shame, of course i wouldn't itemize my Persona before
the final boss

Well, st wordt i just gotta summon them from the compendium once in NG+.

However came up with Power Intuition should be set on fire. I cannot reliably get those motions to detect with or without the cheat on any controller I own. It fails to register the transition from diagonal to left or right about 75% of the time.

ETA - I have some success rolling my thumb around the inside of the direction pad but who uses a d-pad like that ?
ETA2 - Sometimes it detects the Share button being pressed too and my fingers are nowhere near it.

However came up with Power Intuition should be set on fire. I cannot reliably get those motions to detect with or without the cheat on any controller I own. It fails to register the transition from diagonal to left or right about 75% of the time.
I've been doing that motion since the PS2's Guilty Gear XX. Place a large amount of your thumb on the Dpad and roll the motion

Recall

So I'm sat on 12/8, for what I think will be the
final
Mementos run.

Then I'm going to start
Palace 7
on 12/9 and see how the game unfolds from there.

I am skipping way more text now than before. I'm just ready for more actual gameplay with the dungeons and such but I am intrigued to see where the main story will go from here.

Zafir

ETA - I have some success rolling my thumb around the inside of the direction pad but who uses a d-pad like that ?
ETA2 - Sometimes it detects the Share button being pressed too and my fingers are nowhere near it.
I had to get my fight stick out for that bleeding thing, lol. Was pretty easy on that since I have practice, but yeah... I use my Razer Raiju controller normally when playing games on my PS4, which has a really rubbish d-pad(it's basically 4 separate buttons - not a dpad at all), and that last motion you need to input was impossible on it.

I'm not quite sure why they thought it was a good idea to put fighting game inputs in, especially ones which are a bit tricky.

duckroll

Ughhh, missed maxing Ann by a single encounter. Oh well, at least I got friendzone her before that! I guess this is the final dungeon then?

Also I've only played about 40 hours and beat 4 palaces but I like the characters in this game a lot more than 4.

Idk I think I liked 4 a lot less than everybody else though.

Before 5 came out I was down on 3 for the story and called 4 a great game that I could endlessly complain about.

Looking back now I like a lot of things about 4 but I think 5 (for its polish) and 3 (for its mechanics) are more interesting and have more replay value.

Kanji, Ai, and Saki's brother are who I miss most from 4. Otherwise I'd rank a number of people from each other game ahead of the rest of that cast.

5 is basically everything I wanted from the current style, though. It and EP feel like capstones to me and are my favorites of the series.

I won't pretend like the localization didn't cause a hiccup or two, and it's an easy thing to point at and say it's fixable (because it was) especially compared to something like a game mechanic. But, for me, it's also something I can much more easily take in stride so it doesn't bother me.

Rainy

Banned
Before 5 came out I was down on 3 for the story and called 4 a great game that I could endlessly complain about.

Looking back now I like a lot of things about 4 but I think 5 (for its polish) and 3 (for its mechanics) are more interesting and have more replay value.

Kanji, Ai, and Saki's brother are who I miss most from 4. Otherwise I'd rank a number of people from each other game ahead of the rest of that cast.

5 is basically everything I wanted from the current style, though. It and EP feel like capstones to me and are my favorites of the series.

I won't pretend like the localization didn't cause a hiccup or two, and it's an easy thing to point at and say it's fixable (because it was) especially compared to something like a game mechanic. But, for me, it's also something I can much more easily take in stride so it doesn't bother me.

Yep, I agree with you.

The last day for Confidants is
Dec 22
, although IIRC
it might only be daytime activities that day?
Also don't forget plot/exams will take a bite out of your time left.
This soured my entire mood to the point I'm sitting on 12/23 just baffled they really took my last days like that

Top Bottom