• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

duckroll

Something I only noticed towards the end of the game - while it seems a no brainer to always pick Curry and Tomato over Coffee and Carrots because of group recovery, note that Coffee and Carrots can be used in battle to recover SP for party members, while Curry and Tomato are only usable outside of battles.

Nothing is truly missable in confidants (except, ofcourse, if you don't finish them before the game ends).

You just need enough kindness to start hers. Others confidants may be gated with other stats, for example. It just puts a delay on when you can progress in confidants, and makes the social stats more important.

If you start hers later, everything will still play out exactly the same. Don't worry. It's a common Persona thing. I assume this is your first Persona game?

Yeah, i'd say it is the first one I've played myself at least. The others were only played briefly at a friend's and I felt it was too late to get into the series so i'd wait for five. Thanks for the advice!

Quonny

Finally got through October.

Man, that month was horrible. Why would they do the pacing like that? Seems really backwards to have such a restrictive month when 5-6 days worth of conversations boil down to
'hey we gotta stay low key, im scared, im nervous'
. I was just fast forwarding through everything because holy crap. Thankfully the end of the month was good, but maaaaan.

Just to share, RPGFan just gave out their review for Persona 5: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Persona_5/index.html

87%

I did not notice that
the item you get for beating the abusive boyfriend from Chihaya's first Mementos request was the pipe he presumably beat her with, to be used by Ryuji as a melee weapon
. I don't know if that's reading too much into it or exactly right, but if that was the actual intent, YIKES AND A HALF. Holy shit.

Kaizer

Banned
Quick question: Should I still hang out with a Confidant if I get the message that my bond won't deepen with them just yet?

Quonny

God damn.

Whenever Will Power kicks in with those three chords I know shit's about the get real and I get so hyped.

why does the vinyl have to cost $100 and be from iam8bit

Quick question: Should I still hang out with a Confidant if I get the message that my bond won't deepen with them just yet?

There are rare instances where you can luck out with a specific day event, wherein if you choose the correct response when said confidant is nearby they pick up points to the level where you can reach the next rank (these instances are too scattered into the calendar for me to list them off the top of my head), and if you choose to sleep early (screw you Morgana), you can randomly dream about a confidant and gain points there.

Obviously, both are tedious and boring compared to the logical idea that not every encounter with Ann or Ryuji will result in a scene of deep reflection. Times, they're just afternoons you choose to dick about with a friend. Always choose a confidant, even if they aren't capable of reaching next rank yet.

Edit:

God damn.

Whenever Will Power kicks in with those three chords I know shit's about the get real and I get so hyped.

why does the vinyl have to cost $100 and be from iam8bit

Haven't bought anything other than Hyper Light Drifter physical from them, came fairly quickly in great condition. I take it that was an exception, rather than a rule when it comes to iam8bit - not a leading question, I'm just out of the loop here and would rather know before shopping again.

I did not notice that
the item you get for beating the abusive boyfriend from Chihaya's first Mementos request was the pipe he presumably beat her with, to be used by Ryuji as a melee weapon
. I don't know if that's reading too much into it or exactly right, but if that was the actual intent, YIKES AND A HALF. Holy shit.

The Mementos rewards are usually more abstract than the literal Treasures of Palaces. They reflect the mentality of the crimes / sins rather than the physicality (eg Tae's Confidant request gets you Mediarama, and creepy wannabe dominatrix girl gives a whip). so it's more likely a metaphor
or equally (if not more) possibly the pipe he was going to use, when he made the transition to serious damage Chihaya saw, until his heart was changed.
. So that's a little better I guess ?

Quonny

Haven't bought anything other than Hyper Light Drifter physical from them, came fairly quickly in great condition. I take it that was an exception, rather than a rule when it comes to iam8bit - not a leading question, I'm just out of the loop here and would rather know before shopping again.

Yeah. They have a history of delaying without notice (meaning they delay a product during it's supposed release month), poor quality products (both in terms of vinyl and collector's items), a PR handler that is an absolute joke (laughing about firing people from their job), and price gouging just because they can.

There are a ton of reputable, high quality, and consumer focused gaming vinyl manufacturers out there, and Atlus/SEGA went with the only one that community absolutely hates.

muteki

There is a confidant ability that helps out with this that you can get as early as mid-late summer. Once I figured out what it did I regretted wasting so much time making coffee/hanging out with Sojiro.

Ferrio

Banned
People playing on English are missing out on some great bad english scenes. Ann just did the most awkward introduction in English. Really really bad for someone that's suppose to know English.

LiK

People playing on English are missing out on some great bad english scenes. Ann just did the most awkward introduction in English. Really really bad for someone that's suppose to know English.

I'm planning to watch some JPN LPs in the future.

Kazzy

And with that, NG+ has become even more tempting!

Though, I am actually genuinely interested to see how I feel about the Japanese VAs. With P4, I just couldn't dissociate my fondness of the English cast; that and Teddie's (Kuma's) horrific screams in the original didn't help.

GeeTeeCee

I just had to use 5 revive items on one character during the boss fight of the
2nd
palace. 20 hours in and suddenly things aren't going as smoothly as I'd hoped.

LiK

I just had to use 5 revive items on one character during the boss fight of the
2nd
palace. 20 hours in and suddenly things aren't going as smoothly as I'd hoped.

Oh really? Things get much harder later. Are you not hitting enemy weaknesses enough?

Listening to my favorite tracks on the OST...

The instrumentals that are here are absolutely some of the best between P3, P4, and P5 - but people understandably remain disappointed due to the lack of vocal tracks. (8 Tracks Total - all of which are solid.) I mean, I understand, but give the tracks another listen, there's some good stuff there.

On the other hand, however, the audio mixing in the game is pretty off-kilter. Would it have killed them to have meters in the settings so we could balance the volume of Sound Effects with the Music? (Never could get the music loud enough to enjoy without killing my ears every time I initiated a battle.)

GeeTeeCee

Oh really? Things get much harder later. Are you not hitting enemy weaknesses enough?

The main problem was the boss would
use the paint splatter attack to target Morgana, follow it up with a defence debuff, and then by the time the next attack would come it was a guaranteed one-hit KO.

I'm pretty sure I'm a level or two above the network average for players anyway, but now I'm done with the palace I've invested in better protection for half the team so hopefully that might help a little in future.

So i have a question about my last trophy i need for the platinum.

After 2 playthroughs, i still dont have the hostage negotiation trophy. Its never happened in 2 full playthroughs and 140+ hours. So im about to start my 3rd playthrough. Whats the easiest way to get this damn trophy?

After 2 playthroughs, i still dont have the hostage negotiation trophy. Its never happened in 2 full playthroughs and 140+ hours. So im about to start my 3rd playthrough. Whats the easiest way to get this damn trophy?
turn the difficulty level up, go get party members knocked down.

Opa-Pa

It just occurred to me that perhaps the unusual number of dateable older women in the game is probably related to the whole "rebel against society and its norms" theme lol. I mean it's just speculation, but that'd be pretty childish if true.

use the paint splatter attack to target Morgana, follow it up with a defence debuff, and then by the time the next attack would come it was a guaranteed one-hit KO.

I'm pretty sure I'm a level or two above the network average for players anyway, but now I'm done with the palace I've invested in better protection for half the team so hopefully that might help a little in future.

Well, technically that boss is pure skill and arguably the hardest in the game, so you should be fine against the rest. The others are fairly straightforward, for better or worse.

PK Gaming

It just occurred to me that perhaps the unusual number of dateable older women in the game is probably related to the whole "rebel against society and its norms" theme lol. I mean it's just speculation, but that'd be pretty childish if true.

Which is why it's so disappointing that you can't date guys in this game. Engaging in homosexual relationships? Maximum rebellion.

Which is why it's so disappointing that you can't date guys in this game. Engaging in homosexual relationships? Maximum rebellion.

I still find it weird that they did this respectfully in Persona 2, but never since then.

I wonder if now that Hashino isn't directing we may have a chance with P5C / P6?

LiK

Oh sorry, I misread and didn't know you were talking about the boss. Yea, he's a bit tricky and requires a bit more preparation and strategy than the first for sure.

In my current NG+ run I saw that it happened again and it was mainly because I let the enemy ambush me. Seems to happen if you're surrounded. Try that.

Opa-Pa

Absolutely. I'd rather defy the preconceptions of masculinity and male sexuality than go around making women guilty of statutory rape because "lolz fuck the police!" >_>

pixxxelz

I think the easiest way to get it is with kelpies on the first palace since they just keep summoning more as long as you don't kill them all, just keep ryuji at about 80/90 HP and put the shittiest equipment you have on him and wait. That's how I got mine.

I guess a lot of it depends on how much of a blank slate they intend MC to be. It seems like the baseline they chose is: young Japanese heterosexual male who can have any woman he wants lol.

Are the guys behind this website translators/localizers themselves?

Yes.

I agree, sometimes Persona 5's localized script falls short, but most of the time it's pretty competent. Also, their ALT versions completely ignore the number one rule of translators: do not make up shit for your translation convenience.

You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown, but you will behave yourself here. (Original)

地元じゃ隠れて色々やれたのかも知れないが、ここでは大人しくしてもらう。(JP)

Do not think we'll be so lax as you're used to back home. Misdemeanor is not tolerated at Shujin. (suggested ALT)

Admittedly, the original version is quite literal and is badly phrased, but at least it doesn't reinterpret "you've done a great deal of bad things in your hometown" as "do not think we're as lax as where you come from".

I much prefer the ALT - it keeps the underlying intent (You may have gotten away with things there, but not here) while actually sounding like something a human being would say.

Localization teams should aim for a middle ground (which I guess is what atlus tried to do): keep all the original information and phrase the sentences correctly.

Prioritizing the creator's intent is paramount, there's reasons that direct literal translations sound stilted. (It's delved into on the page linked, so you can read that in detail there.)

This site really reeks of unnecessary backseat localization.

If Atlus released an apology regarding an untranslated sentence in Apocalypse that was hard to even view, I'd expect them to apologize for this - heck, there are two areas where the text on screen outright doesn't match what is being said.

I understand it's a massive game and localization isn't easy - but to boast about how big & good the localization will be then release Persona 5 in this state... I genuinely think it needs an apology or promise to fix it in the re-release.

Also, bear in mind that localization/translation has changed a lot in 10 years (companies just outsource everything nowadays), and when outsourcing, the creative freedom to do as these guys suggest is close to non-existent for obvious reasons.

As pointed out, Atlus did this internally with a team of 6 translators and 8 editors.

I much prefer the ALT - it keeps the underlying intent (You may have gotten away with things there, but not here) while actually sounding like something a human being would say.
That alt reads like shit too though. Using misdemeanor in a sentence like that just doesnt happen. Using Misconduct instead would work a lot better.

However that entire first sentence is just awful
"Do not think we'll be so lax as you're used to back home"
nothing about that sentence structure works for common English speech.

Not that I'm defending the translation used in game, just that this is also terrible.

The main point is that it can be made better - many lines in the game can be.
sure, but a site trying to point out bad translation by presenting shitty translation as an alternative isn't helping its case.

P5 needed an extra editorial pass, preferably by someone mono lingual in english. Hell, thanks to the lines I posted in the spoiler thread, it seems like it even got it in part, just somehow only for certain voice work and not the text.

Lunar15

The translation has some clunkers, that's for sure.

But it's also largely fine for 90% of the game. It's not up to Atlus standard and should absolutely be called out, but the way some people talk, it sounds like a travesty. The critique site is important and highlights a lot of the issues. I'm glad that voice is there because we absolutely need to hold the game to a higher standard. But it also is not nearly the game-breaker most people are making it out to be, and I honestly think some people are over-critiqing it: finding issues where there aren't any.

Given they supplied the Japanese original voice tracks, it'd be hard for them not to provide as near to literal translations of the original work as possible.

Opa-Pa

Given they supplied the Japanese original voice tracks, it'd be hard for them not to provide as near to literal translations of the original work as possible.

But the decision of adding dual audio was made really far into the localization process. Atlus USA insisted that it'd be complicated to implement and told fans not to expect it to happen until they confirmed it this very same year after delaying the game one more time.

The localization work is simply very poor for unknown reasons.

LiK

Some awkward translations here and there especially in the tutorial parts of the game in the beginning but it was pretty well done overall. I don't get the hate and I'm not sure how much more improved they can do unless people point out a ton of examples instead of focusing on some select lines like that P5 translation critique site. Just seems the issue is overblown to me.

Some awkward translations here and there especially in the tutorial parts of the game in the beginning but it was pretty well done overall. I don't get the hate and I'm not sure how much more improved they can do unless people point out a ton of examples instead of focusing on some select lines like that P5 translation critique site. Just seems the issue is overblown to me.

There are numerous lines, and it'd take a while to find every single issue that isn't pointed out on personaproblems.com - but to give you an idea of some issues that clearly slipped through the cracks outside translation/localization...

(Lategame spoilers)
Futaba has lines in the first safe room in Shido's palace that are reversed. What she says is in the opposite order from how it's written in the speech bubble. A similar issue can be found in Lavenza's battle/link, where what she speaks and what is written do not match up.

There are also pronunciation issues and the aforementioned localization issues throughout - though, again, it'd take some time to compile all of them.

LotusHD

Banned

I thought it was overblown at first too, but meh, it's a thousand cuts type of thing for me personally. After a while due to the game's length, it's like, okay, it's getting more and more difficult to ignore it.

Top Bottom