• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

broz0rs

It's amazing how much people grind for this considering you can:
- find a crystal demon
- attack it
- if it's not the crystal demon you want just run
- start a battle with any random enemy in the area and run
- go back to where the crystal demon was now that it re-spawned and repeat

Took less than 10 minutes. :D

This isn't something people can casually think about doing unless a guide is used. I've yet to even encounter the last two crystals, but now I where they are thanks to a guide I'm using to get plat for my NG+ run.

Sayad

This isn't something people can casually think about doing unless a guide is used. I've yet to even encounter the last two crystals, but now I where they are thanks to a guide I'm using to get plat for my NG+ run.
Though most people searching for a Crystal Skull or Hope Diamond probably already looked online to know where they can be found instead of just blindly running through momentos!

Problem is, there are actually some youtube guides telling people where to find them while also mentioning that it could take more than an hour to get the encounter you want, without mentioning/knowing this trick, smh.

Yeah so, Palace 6 is SUBSTANTIALLY better than 5. Honestly, I would go as far to say it got from the worst palace to the best. I'm only halfway through 6 but WHEW is it awesome.

Okay, so question: Morgana in no uncertain terms tells you to hang out with people before the Palace 7 deadline, but will doing the Palace as quickly as possible affect that at all? Outside of story exits, I've done all the palaces in one day but I'm holding off on doing this one since I'm unsure.

Also, Arahabaki is a pretty damn good Persona. Had it since Palace 4 and still doing work (Rpl Phys and Gun is godly, and a few Lockdowns got rid of the Nuke and Psy weakness).

Plum

Yeah so, Palace 6 is SUBSTANTIALLY better than 5. Honestly, I would go as far to say it got from the worst palace to the best. I'm only halfway through 6 but WHEW is it awesome.

It's definitely one of my favorites. Unique concept, varied puzzles, great (albeit easy) boss and it's not too long at all. Music did get a tad bit grating though.

Kevtones

Man, about 15 hours into this game and I'm struggling to get into it. Played the shit out of 1-4 but something about the bloated dialogue and pacing is killing my vibe :(

Kevtones

I felt the same way, it won't get any better. At least in those aspects.

Really? :(

It sucks too because I visited Tokyo last year and my GF is Japanese so my appreciation for the culture is at an all-time high. Not saying Persona is a massive cultural experience but I had hoped to find even greater appreciation for the series because of that.

Gbraga

Really? :(

It sucks too because I visited Tokyo last year and my GF is Japanese so my appreciation for the culture is at an all-time high. Not saying Persona is a massive cultural experience but I had hoped to find even greater appreciation for the series because of that.

I mean, you already bought it, might as well keep playing for now.

But it seems to me like most people who love it are already very into it from the start.

LotusHD

Banned

I liked Palace 5 more than 6. Other than music of course. Admittedly it was maybe kind of my fault at the end of the day, but Palace 6 was quite frustrating in a way that none of the other palaces. Luckily, that music was there. Honestly though, after Palace 4, it went downhill from there.

Kevtones

I mean, you already bought it, might as well keep playing for now.

But it seems to me like most people who love it are already very into it from the start.

Yeah I started up Nier and am finding myself hooked. I'll jump back here maybe once I finish that.

The emptiness of finishing a big RPG is hitting me especially hard with Persona 5.

The post depression for this game is real man. What an absolutely brilliant game. The ride was real and I'm going to play it again pretty soon. Now I got to give Berseria a chance at least. I never felt this sad i've completed a game since Xenogears/Xenosaga episode III and Xenoblade.

Fou-Lu

The post depression for this game is real man. What an absolutely brilliant game. The ride was real and I'm going to play it again pretty soon. Now I got to give Berseria a chance at least. I never felt this sad i've completed a game since Xenogears/Xenosaga episode III and Xenoblade.

I've been playing Paper Mario 64 just to get some happy vibes back in my system.

BTA

Finished at 116 hours (well, two minutes short of it, but I also wasn't actually playing the game for a couple of those hours, so...); that was definitely a ride.

So, everything surrounding the final boss was extremely My Shit but as always it would have been nice if, uh, they subtitled the ambient dialogue. Hell, there's a line of Ryuji's later on that's left unsubbed. The localization issues are one thing but the next time they claim they have dual audio they should at least put in the work to make sure it's not a worse experience playing with Japanese. I even understand that some of the in-engine stuff almost certainly couldn't be subbed easily, but it's ridiculous to have anime cutscenes where dialogue's unsubbed.

Anyway... I will say that, though part of it's due to having kinda broken Personas, I wish the combat was better. I know Tokyo Mirage Sessions is such a different thing due to the FE elements but it's my context for SMT games and: the combat in that works WAY better. Bosses were actually challenging and demanded good use of weaknesses and buffs/debuffs. Most of the back half of this game is just not hitting resistances rather than hitting weaknesses. It makes physical attacks and crits way more important than any spells; I have a ton of Severe magic attacks that I barely ever used because it was much more worthwhile to do 100 HP costing attacks, which is a joke. Every fight becomes a matter of just doing raw damage and healing, that's it, and it makes fights pretty boring as a result.

Plotwise, I enjoyed the ending more than expected. I really wish they had all your confidants actually come out to protest or something; there was all that buildup and then just... Sae shows up to say "hey, you're free"? Are you serious...? Morgana dying and then coming back I sooorta saw coming (rather, I expected it, then thought they might commit to the death, then they started mourning again and it was clearer what was about to happen) though I had thought he'd no longer be able to talk, so if was still a surprise. I thought all the saying goodbye to Confidants and such worked pretty well, though I'm confused by how much I've seen people say the items give you the rank 10 bonuses because that's false more often than not- some give you a mix of/all their bonuses, some give you a bonus that's not rank 10, and party members in particular seem pretty arbitrary.

But like... all that being said: the fuck was up with the Akechi plotline? The sacrifice sucks, their discussion after is a single group text, and then... nothing? He's literally not even in the credits! There's literally nothing said about him in the epilogue portion of the game except the bit where Sae mentions that he's missing, which makes me wonder if the Phantom Thieves even bothered to tell her that he fucking died! I don't even think the guy was that great of a character but it's baffling that no one even thinks about the character looming over like 4/5 of the game after he sacrifices himself. Being spoiled for both the Akechi and Igor twists really made it apparent how disjointed parts of the plot are: Akechi is all buildup (probably too much buildup, really) with no payoff; Igor is barely any buildup but with a really satisfying (as a player, if not from a writing standpoint) resolution.

So in the end... I think pretty positively of the game overall, and I'm happy I played through it despite its length, because I loved a lot of it. It's just a shame that some parts weren't as good as they could have been.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm gonna be in a post-long game funk for a bit too. Doesn't help that I also just finished ending A of the original Nier and I want to wait a bit before continuing that, since I'm gonna try to Plat it and that takes time. So I guess it's shorter games for the time being, which I'm fine with and usually go for, but it'll feel weird for a while.

If nothing else, half of the time I spent playing this filled the time between graduating college and my job starting next week pretty well.

I combatted the post credits depression by jumping into NG+ and making it a goal to platinum the game. Now my file's at 170 hours, I'd say I'm about 30 hours away from platinum.

Now I'm starting to get depressed at the thought of finally getting the platinum and truly having nothing else to do with the game...

Wow great story and character moments at the end of September! Really stepped it up.

Man, about 15 hours into this game and I'm struggling to get into it. Played the shit out of 1-4 but something about the bloated dialogue and pacing is killing my vibe :(

I mean it's going to open up a bit more right about where you are. I actually prefer the structure to 4.

I just don't bother reading the SMS between them. They like repeating the same damn discussions almost daily.

Plum

So I'm confused. (Palace 7 and after spoilers)

If I do the palace on the first day possible will it skip me right to the end? It's really unclear as to whether I should do it now or at the last possible day to maximise time.

So I'm confused. (Palace 7 and after spoilers)

If I do the palace on the first day possible will it skip me right to the end? It's really unclear as to whether I should do it now or at the last possible day to maximise time.

Do it whenever.

Plum

Do it whenever.

Cool, guess I'll do it earlier rather than later as I've finished all but Haru's confidant (edit: only teammates) and have enough SP and HP items to last a lifetime. Heard it's a bit of a slog to get through though, hope it isn't too bad
on Easy

Finally finished persona at 95 hours. Fantastic game but it didn't leave me feeling depressed like P4 did. That feeling of being left empty as I say goodbye to someone. Still a good game on its own though. Some issues with padding, handholding and the lack of super funny comedy moments like in P4, P3. They were more down to earth than the crazy adventures of mystery food X and P3 onsen trips.

In retrospect the texting is actually incredibly annoying but I did read every single text message and line in the game. Some of the texts were actually pretty great and I enjoyed that aspect of the game for sure. I think the texting was too excessive though and the recaps of the story could be unnecessary since the story already leads us as players to have a strong grasp on it. We don't need to be reminded to go to the palace every single day for example, lol. I just wish texts were strictly kept to off topic discussion because that's the best part. Oh, and also for confidants when they really need to see you. I felt that helped me a lot to pick on which lines to progress. But there were some fun text group messages here and there!

The way the story is going I'm glad the game forces me to sleep. I would hate feeling obligated to go raise some confidant when I really just want to progress the story. The go to sleep stuff was really overblown.

In retrospect the texting is actually incredibly annoying but I did read every single text message and line in the game. Some of the texts were actually pretty great and I enjoyed that aspect of the game for sure. I think the texting was too excessive though and the recaps of the story could be unnecessary since the story already leads us as players to have a strong grasp on it. We don't need to be reminded to go to the palace every single day for example, lol. I just wish texts were strictly kept to off topic discussion because that's the best part. Oh, and also for confidants when they really need to see you. I felt that helped me a lot to pick on which lines to progress. But there were some fun text group messages here and there!

Yeah it should have been more off topic (some story stuff is good though because they actually are coordinating and stuff) and I wish they had somehow made it a bit more meaningful like Catherine.

Plum

Sorry, should have clarified earlier. Question:

Palace 7:
If I defeat Shido will time skip forward or should I wait until the last possible day?

Sorry, should have clarified earlier. Question:

Palace 7:
If I defeat Shido will time skip forward or should I wait until the last possible day?

Time does not skip forward after you beat Shido so i'd do it right away since the dungeon is very long. It skips forward after the point of no return which is a few days after you find out what happens at the election.

Plum

Time does not skip forward after you beat Shido so i'd do it right away since the dungeon is very long. It skips forward after the point of no return which is a few days after you find out what happens at the election.

So just like the others except for 6 then, great! I've finished the palace (fight with Akechi was really good) so all I've left to do is the calling card and battle.

EDIT:
Holy shit, that calling card scene was hype!

Firenze1

Banned
Morgana talks too much. The cat is reapeating obvious things the whole time.

The game is brilliant but I dont like the bloated dialogue. Also i hate standing my room wanting to do something but the cat tells me to sleep right away.

I cant get over how out of place Anns persona latix outfit is.. doesnt suit her personality at all, if anything Id imagine she'd look like the chick from the matrix in full trench coat and everything.

Bayonetta is sexy for a reason, Ann is not

Besides that, this games really chill and low energy so I can chip away at it after work which is nice

Aselith

tumblr_nuu6l3bqkL1suosdxo1_1280.jpg

I cant get over how out of place Anns persona latix outfit is.. doesnt suit her personality at all, if anything Id imagine she'd look like the chick from the matrix in full trench coat and everything.

Bayonetta is sexy for a reason, Ann is not

Besides that, this games really chill and low energy so I can chip away at it after work which is nice

It's a little jarring the way she constantly toots her ass in the air too, especially when she's knocked out in combat. For a game that doesn't sexualize it's characters as much as a lot of JRPGs, Ann definitely seems to be the exception.

You'll love the next one. By love I mean
sarcasm

Don't tell me this 😞

Setsu00

It's a little jarring the way she constantly toots her ass in the air too, especially when she's knocked out in combat. For a game that doesn't sexualize it's characters as much as a lot of JRPGs, Ann definitely seems to be the exception.

Yusuke does the same thing when he's knocked out.

Also Ann idolizes female super heroes, especially the femme fatale kind of super hero. Her costume is very much in line with her character.

Opa-Pa

Palace 7 is great and its only fault is being one repeated puzzle too long. Comparing it to 5 is insane.

Yusuke does the same thing when he's knocked out.

Also Ann idolizes female super heroes, especially the femme fatale kind of super hero. Her costume is very much in line with her character.

But Yusuke's is meant to be absurd and he's not wearing a skin tight latex suit.

Ann is one weird ass character in that she's a sexual harassment victim that the game forces sexual situations and motifs on all the time. She clearly isn't okay with her costume but you see her posing comfortably in battle. She's not even a little flirty either and the whole costume and Carmen design seem to be supposedly justified by her admiration of that cartoon villain (that part is cool too).

The game makes it clear that she doesn't know how to act sexy either but she behaves and poses like she does in battles. Hell she even has a dominatrix-like attack.

She does own her sexiness like twice in the game to get back at pervy men and those are legitimately cool, but for the most part her treatment is god awful.

Yeah I feel like the justification regarding Ann's adoration of the femme fatale for her persona's appearance is pretty shoehorned considering it doesn't match up at all with her personality

Plum

So I've maxed all my stats alongside completing all the confidants I wanted to bar one. Don't care at all about trophies so I'm not sure what to spend my remaining days doing...

PBalfredo

Is there any action that's a reliable +3 to proficiency? It's the stat that's lagging behind the most and I need to get it up to spend nights at Crossroads.

MrBS

Finished off my second playthrough on the weekend. I missed a request halfway through the game and that one thing cost me the platinum. That stings! I enjoyed my time with the game and doing a second playthrough getting everything done with time to spare was a nice feeling vs the dilemma of what to complete in the first fun. Now to wait for the spin offs.

Top Bottom