• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

nOoblet16

True, but in a heist team, it's natural to expect everyone to have talents that differentiate themselves from others, narratively speaking. And the Phantom Thief cast do have this. It's just not highlighted as often as it could be, because the story doesn't give enough opportunities for it to be.

Stuff like the (Palace 2 and Palace 7 spoilers)
Palace 2 heist or how characters dealt with Shido's subordinates in Palace 7 did a good job of this, even for Ann. P5 just would have needed more of it.
Yes but it didn't start out as a heist team originally though and by the time it became one she was already part of the team. And it wasn't like she was dragging others down inside the palaces as she would do her job there apparently.

PK Gaming

As part of the team yes, but I think her introduction was strong enough to give her meaning to the plot. Then she is part of the team because these guys are still amateurs, they arent looking to create the perfect heist team

Oh, for sure

The game
pretty much flings Haru at you, and she's barely relevant prior to her arc but man, her introduction is crazy memorable. Solid Awakening scene too.

Zephyx

9/18

All the story events before Haru's dungeon opening up cements Ryuji as the most irritating character in Persona 5. I wouldn't be surprised if he betrays the group for fame tbh.

Now, on to Palace 5!

Lunar15

I don't need Ann to have a special ability, it's just that her character isn't bringing a lot to the group dynamic, at least to me. I just kinda feel that she's a missed opportunity most of the time.

She started out incredible and then just kinda regressed.

FluxWaveZ

Yes but it didn't start out as a heist team and by the time it became one she was already part of the team. And it wasn't like she was dragging others down inside the palaces as she would do her job there.

Sure, I don't really knock the game for it (except when it comes to Haru), but it would just have been a way to further the concept of Phantom Thieves in an cool way, and make each of the characters stand out even more. Could have possibly helped Haru, too.

I love the way the characters behave during the meetups, how they stand or sit and what they do while waiting for Joker to decide the team's plans, defines their personalities. Much better than P3's sit around on sofas and P4's sitting at Junes tables staring blankly at each other. Reminds me of people who would actually hang out together.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Regarding the heist team aspect (palace 7 spoilers)
I love how getting the letter of recommendation involves everyone acting their part in the heist team but it always ends up as them having to fight the shadow for it.

Lunar15

Sure, I don't really knock the game for it (except when it comes to Haru), but it would just have been a way to further the concept of Phantom Thieves in an cool way, and make each of the characters stand out even more. Could have possibly helped Haru, too.

Part of me wonders if Yusuke was supposed to have a different role in the group considering one of his trademarks is that he has that key-ring with him. Then again, maybe that's something that gets brought up later in the story (I'm in Palace 4).

When I saw his character art when he was announced, I thought he'd be someone who could pick locks or make keys.

I love the way the characters behave during the meetups, how they stand or sit and what they do while waiting for Joker to decide the team's plans, defines their personalities. Much better than P3's sit around on sofas and P4's sitting at Junes tables staring blankly at each other. Reminds me of people who would actually hang out together.

This is incredibly true. P5 has way more variety to how the characters interact. Even small, simple things like Ann eating some food while talking and then running out when Ryuji asks for some. It's small, but it definitely adds more to the scene variety. I've been pleasantly surprised by how they've handled scenes that are otherwise exposition dumps. The group keeps moving around, you're not in one place all the time. Sometimes you're on the bridge, other times you're at Leblanc, sometimes it's in the courtyard at school. It works to this game's benefit for sure.

nOoblet16

She's the "I have motherfucking One shot kill" member.

Group Psi skills
And Ann has group fire skills which no one else has except MC, same as Makoto who has group nuclear skills which no one else has except MC and so on.

But now we are talking about utility in battles, in which case Ann is one of the best damage dealers due to the fact that she gets concentrate which is the magic version of Ryuiji's charge.

Mitsuru and Yukari's learning to accept each other was pretty good too.

Teammates actually having development with each other instead of just being stuck to the MC? Shocking I know.

Unfortunately I feel like that only happened in P3 because they didn't do S. Links for the male SEES members. Junpei not having an S. Link is criminal.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 2 still has the best story of the bunch.

Congratz! How hard was the platinum?

Nothing was too hard, just time consuming. Weirdly the one that was hardest for me was Competent Negotiator, which 35% of people have.

I just had never seen a hostage situation in either of my first two play-thrus (I got very overleveled in the second one), so in my third I had to let a fight with some Kelpies go for ten minutes before they finally knocked Ryuji down.

Antiwhippy

Wrong palace #.

Edit: Nvm, you fixed it.

Yeah, realised my mistake.

Which actually made me realise that haru is meant to be the person with the connections in the heist team but of course she was implemented too late for that.

Unfortunately I feel like that only happened in P3 because they didn't do S. Links for the male SEES members. Junpei not having an S. Link is criminal.

Still, it forced them to write the character development into the story itself which I feel is missing somewhat after 3.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Beach trip
and then off to September. Its almost over :(

is it true that you can lose 2 1/2 hours of time if you die because there are no save points

no that is not true.

if you asked "is it true you can lose 2 1/2 hours of time if you die because there isnt auto saves and I hadnt saved in 2 1/2 hours", that would be true.

I feel like Ann is the most in-touch out of the group. Makato, Futaba, and Yusuke are all very sheltered and naive in their own ways and Ryuiji is, well, Ryuiji. Ann provides a bit of a balance in providing context to various events from the outside world.

Still, it forced them to write the character development into the story itself which I feel is missing somewhat after 3.

Sure but it still means that P3 didn't get the balance right either.

So far (into September), I feel like P5 is nailing this aspect in a way that P4 didn't.
Ryuji is getting a fair bit of development even though it's negative. Makato and Yusuke have made great strides from where they were at the end of their respective dungeons and ongoing character development is obviously been a huge focus on Futaba since the fourth dungeon ended.

Lunar15

I feel like Ann is the most in-touch out of the group. Makato, Futaba, and Yusuke are all very sheltered and naive in their own ways and Ryuiji is, well, Ryuiji. Ann provides a bit of a balance in providing context to various events from the outside world.

This is fair. She's also been helpful in reading english statements.

I dunno, I like her character a lot, but she's just the weakest in the cast for me at this exact moment.

is it true that you can lose 2 1/2 hours of time if you die because there are no save points

I guess if someone ignores all the safe rooms provided that's possible. Most I've ever lost was 20 minutes, which took me less than that to make up since I knew what to do the second time.

Zephyx

Definitely this. She's like the person with the most common sense in the group. Can't imagine it without her. She also provides a balance to Ryuji being a dumbass all the time.

asagami_

Banned
My feelings too. Maybe I should play P1 and P2 sometimes but I hope it's not as long as the last ones

They are really short. For example, the first time I played Innocent Sin (PS1) it lasted me 35 hours, maybe less. With P2 I would recommend go entirely blind, btw.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, realised my mistake.

Which actually made me realise that haru is meant to be the person with the connections in the heist team but of course she was implemented too late for that.

Yeah, Haru would have been good for
the role of gathering intel through her large amount of business connections. A lot of different routes could have been followed with her; she could have been the typical newbie to the group, but with an obsession about being a super-hero that would land them in occasionally land them in trouble. Or something. Pretty much anything would have been better compared to how plain she is.

Lunar15

I don't want to compare them in terms of difficulty, but Persona is kind of like Dark Souls where I'm fully aware that I could die to something I didn't anticipate and therefore play up battles as a risk v. reward situation. What's funny is that P5 apes the DS setup a bit and has some good save point setups where the dungeon loops you back around.

Opa-Pa

My feelings too. Maybe I should play P1 and P2 sometimes but I hope it's not as long as the last ones

They're your standard 30-hour long RPGs, nothing like the modern ones. I'd be more concerned about them showing their age... P1 in its PSP remaster form is not only perfectly playable but quite fun to. Persona 2 though... Both games have their fans, but playable wise they're not very good games IMO. A shame because they're two of the best written games I've ever seen, definitely worth experiencing be it by playing or watching them!

I don't want to compare them in terms of difficulty, but Persona is kind of like Dark Souls where I'm fully aware that I could die to something I didn't anticipate and therefore play up battles as a risk v. reward situation. What's funny is that P5 apes the DS setup a bit and has some good save point setups where the dungeon loops you back around.

This is a great analogy actually. They're both games where you can breeze through a lot of stuff if you're well prepared and act carefully, but the moment you start slacking you're done for. I've gotten like 10 game overs on hard and every single one of them were my fault.

Zafir

What do you keep in NG+? put it in spoilers if you think it's a spoiler.

- Equipment,
- Mild-endgame spoiler
Christmas Gift from the girl you chose to hang out with on Christmas Eve(this allows you to get them up faster on the next playthrough when you have a persona of their arcana)
- The gift you get from maxing a confidant (this gives you access to one or more of the abilities tied to their confident as long as you have access to the confidant.)
- Persona Compendium
- Social Stats

Jiraiza

Definitely this. She's like the person with the most common sense in the group. Can't imagine it without her. She also provides a balance to Ryuji being a dumbass all the time.

I like how Ann bounces off of Ryuji a lot of the times, though, aside from being the one who usually reels in his impulsiveness and dumbness.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its too late now since I already bought it, but P4G is the full PS2 game right? none of that P3 "you dont actually move around so its actually basically a visual novel" shit?

Chaos17

You should play more diferent games because veterans who lnows Atlus will tell you that Persona is so easy that they get pretty bored with it easely. SMT is harder and Etrian Odyssey has deeper gameplay+it's hard.
Persona franchise is their only game where it's relying more the story than other games they made and yet has the most basique battle system they made.

Mediking

Remember... Joker, Ryuji and Ann are all outcasts who want to help society..... end people's suffering.... which also helps their OWN suffering....

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
How long did your NG+ playthrough(s) take? I don't really want to play another 100+ hours (my first run was almost 110) but you saying it only took 165 for three playthroughs doesn't sound nearly as bad.

NG+ was probably 40 hours (fast forwarding thru everything except for confidant scenes I hadn't seen yet)

NG++ would probably be about 30 (fast forwarding thru everything) but I stopped on 12/4 as soon as I completed the last request. May finish up to see the post game spoilers
Valentine's Day massacre
, but I'm gonna take a few days off.

PK Gaming

5th Palace spoilers

Was there a trick to beating those resist-everything robots in barracks? I just spammed physical attacks and prayed for crits, but man, I blew through so much SP in the process (and I barely had to fight many of them either!)

Lunar15

You should play more diferent games because veterans who lnows Atlus will tell you that Persona is so easy that they get pretty bored with it easely. SMT is harder and Etrian Odyssey has deeper gameplay+it's hard.
Persona franchise is their only game where it's relying more the story than other games they made.

Specifically said I wasn't talking about difficulty. I've played SMT Nocturne, SMTIV, and Etrian Odyssey 3+4.

I was more speaking to how people get upset that you can get wiped out. You can, but it's an endurance run and if you're saving, you should only lose about 20 minutes of progress max.

Opa-Pa

its too late now since I already bought it, but P4G is the full PS2 game right? none of that P3 "you dont actually move around so its actually basically a visual novel" shit?

P4G is the PS2 game but refined and expanded. You get the whole package + new stuff.

Antiwhippy

It's the full game plus extras and a minus
marie

It's also real easy compared to the original.

Mediking

Persona franchise is their only game where it's relying more the story than other games they made and yet has the most basique battle system they made.

Stop with this elitist narrative that Persona is so easy. Please stop. And this is coming from a veteran.

Ydelnae

7th Dungeon spoilers

I want to complete the dungeon in one go, should I finish the Mementos and max all my Confidant links before doing so?

Also, Akechi, Morgana and Igor's confidant will max as the rest of the story goes on, right?

5th Palace spoilers

Was there a trick to beating those resist-everything robots in barracks? I just spammed physical attacks and prayed for crits, but man, I blew through so much SP in the process (and I barely had to fight many of them either!)

If they're the same ones I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure they did actually have a weakness, but resisted everything else.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
7th Dungeon spoilers

I want to complete the dungeon in one go, should I finish the Mementos and max all my Confidant links before doing so?

Also, Akechi, Morgana and Igor's confidant will max as the rest of the story goes on, right?

Q1:
You can but if you finish early there's time after

Q2: Yes

Antiwhippy

Eh, they honestly need to nerf physical though. I pretty much spammed physical and gun skills all the way till the end.

asagami_

Banned
Specifically said I wasn't talking about difficulty. I've played SMT games and Etrian Odyssey.

Eh, I know what are you talking. I'm a SMT veteran and Persona 5 is pretty hard many times. Unless it's very obvious (like Jack Frost is weak to fire attacks) it's hard to remember the weakness from many demons, more with the new elemental attacks. And you can be defeated if you are too stupid and cocky, too.

Top Bottom