• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

There are pro's and con's to doing the dungeons early vs late.

Doint it early means you don't have to worry about it and can focus on S-links. While doing it late can utilize stronger S-link bonuses and whatnot in said dungeon. Late means less leeway if a surprise shows up while early means if you aren't prepared it can lead to lost progress.

Kuro

Wish you could kick Ryuji out of the phantom thieves. He has no redeemable qualities and is just around to be loud or for laughs at his stupidity.

You know -- frack this game.

Failed the time window of the first palace because I just didn't thoroughly understand the gorram meter. I always thought it was X days after the day I was in. Wasn't, obviously. Didn't pay it any heed, though. So, my 10 hours of minmaxing my daily routines and doing stuff -- wiped away.

I played this on Hard and as if the latter enemies weren't bloody iffy, my failure to do this crap in time threw me million levels backwards and I miss all the items and stuff that I did.

Yeah, I do realize it was my own fault. Everyone was whining about the date all the time. But here's the thing: I didn't bloody know that the Palace would be like one hundred million hours long with bazillion minibosses and death squads.

You know how much I failed the date?

One day.

Managed to get to the end and begin the final procedure upon returning. Next morning the coppers arrested me and some
weird bozo shot me in interrogation scene.

I might return to this shit in a few weeks or so and ram through everything on Easy.

I was already kinda pissed about the moronic camera/hiding functionality as quite a few times I got my *ss twisted by an enemy that ambushed me since I snapped out of the "hiding" as I was trying to see AT LEAST SOME OF MY SURROUNDINGS ffs.

Other than that, seems like a decent game. But I'm so fracking burned by this crap right now. And I'm the guy who gladly farms crap in MMOs without whining or shovels through Dark Souls and such. Didn't feel this pissed even when a friend of mine saved his FFVI save over my 70 hour marathon. I just started it again. P5 is somewhat of a chore to play and the idea of doing all those things again........
Did you not play Persona 4? Cause you have to schedule like Persona 4. I pretty much do as much as possible palace wise within the first week, once I'm at the point where I can beat it I chill out for a bit, do some social shit and when I have a couple of days left then I beat the palace.

Opa-Pa

I think the calling card thing is kind of bullshit the first time, especially for beginners, but at the same time procrastinating the dungeons in a game that's literally threatening you with the days you have left constantly is pretty much asking for trouble lol.

nOoblet16

You know -- frack this game.

Failed the time window of the first palace because I just didn't thoroughly understand the gorram meter. I always thought it was X days after the day I was in. Wasn't, obviously. Didn't pay it any heed, though. So, my 10 hours of minmaxing my daily routines and doing stuff -- wiped away.

I played this on Hard and as if the latter enemies weren't bloody iffy, my failure to do this crap in time threw me million levels backwards and I miss all the items and stuff that I did.

Yeah, I do realize it was my own fault. Everyone was whining about the date all the time. But here's the thing: I didn't bloody know that the Palace would be like one hundred million hours long with bazillion minibosses and death squads.

You know how much I failed the date?

One day.

Managed to get to the end and begin the final procedure upon returning. Next morning the coppers arrested me and some
weird bozo shot me in interrogation scene.

I might return to this shit in a few weeks or so and ram through everything on Easy.

I was already kinda pissed about the moronic camera/hiding functionality as quite a few times I got my *ss twisted by an enemy that ambushed me since I snapped out of the "hiding" as I was trying to see AT LEAST SOME OF MY SURROUNDINGS ffs.

Other than that, seems like a decent game. But I'm so fracking burned by this crap right now. And I'm the guy who gladly farms crap in MMOs without whining or shovels through Dark Souls and such. Didn't feel this pissed even when a friend of mine saved his FFVI save over my 70 hour marathon. I just started it again. P5 is somewhat of a chore to play and the idea of doing all those things again........
You were so OCD about minimaximizing timeline that you forgot to check how the dungeons play out...In a dungeon crawler.

This is why myself and several other people have advised newcomers to not stress about being a completionist and trying to minimax the day and instead just play the game stress free and do whatever you please until you are more comfortable and familiar with the game. If not that then atleast until you finish the first dungeon, because there really isn't much to do until you start 2nd dungeon. There're are barely any social links unlocked, you can't go out at night, the few socials links you do have cannot be progressed because your stats are too low etc etc.

duckroll

There are pro's and con's to doing the dungeons early vs late.

Doint it early means you don't have to worry about it and can focus on S-links. While doing it late can utilize stronger S-link bonuses and whatnot in said dungeon. Late means less leeway if a surprise shows up while early means if you aren't prepared it can lead to lost progress.

There's zero benefit to doing any of the early dungeons late. You don't need much to power through them, and having 10+ extra days to hang out with party members be a great boost for the -next- dungeon.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
Eh, they honestly need to nerf physical though. I pretty much spammed physical and gun skills all the way till the end.

I have noticed this just in the first dungeon. You need so much SP for healing that it seems almost wasteful to use it on enemies. But then you need persona powers to knock shadows down. I've been basically farming shadows for SP-restore items. Not sure if it's more useful to farm for that or money to buy those from the vending machine in the school.

Wish you could kick Ryuji out of the phantom thieves. He has no redeemable qualities and is just around to be loud or for laughs at his stupidity.

I was a fan of Ryuji from the start, because I thought he was just another Junpei who was jealous of MC. As soon as I noticed that this wasn't the case, I accepted him. I wanted Fox in my team but sticked with skull due to having maxed out his slink early.
His slink route was pretty weak though.
I don't like how Morgana treats him.

I don't hate Ryuji, though, I think I'm tired of him being in my party anymore.

I think the calling card thing is kind of bullshit the first time, especially for beginners, but at the same time procrastinating the dungeons in a game that's literally threatening you with the days you have left constantly is pretty much asking for trouble lol.

The calling card thing makes sense because it pretty much gives you an "Okay, you know the boss is coming, go prepare" out, whereas otherwise you would be walking into boss rooms after 4 hour dungeons not having had time to reup on SP or anything with no plausible reason not to be seen/to just walk away besides "yikes, here's the big guy"

Yikes. I was idling in Mementos and then I heard chains and
Reaper was behind me.
Then I remembered that you could use a Goho-M in the middle of the floor

Meier

Last Day spoiler:
12/24

I couldn't help but look. Thanks

I kind of enjoyed him for the first half of the game but man he really turned into an annoying, whiny punk as time went on. Just miserable to listen to every time he talks to be honest. Haven't had him in my party in like 30-40 hours.

duckroll

The calling card thing makes sense because it pretty much gives you an "Okay, you know the boss is coming, go prepare" out, whereas otherwise you would be walking into boss rooms after 4 hour dungeons not having had time to reup on SP or anything with no plausible reason not to be seen/to just walk away besides "yikes, here's the big guy"

That's not what fucks over people. It's that after you are forced to exit, you can't even return the next day. You eat the next day sending the calling card and only return the day AFTER that. It should definitely have been very clearly explained at the start of the dungeon, rather than at the end with a "SURPRISE!" from Morgana. Never trust cats.

Vertti

Aaand done!

What a ride. P5 fixed most of the problems I had with P4. Persona 4 would maybe just make it to my top 100 goat list but P5 is easily in the top 25.

Having played over 100 hours in two weeks it's time to take a gaming break and cherish this incredible experience. Almost certainly my goty 2017 if SM Odyssey isn't something truly truly special.

cheesekao

There's zero benefit to doing any of the early dungeons late. You don't need much to power through them, and having 10+ extra days to hang out with party members be a great boost for the -next- dungeon.
There are confidants that give tangible benefits such as the Tower, Sun, Star and Rank 6 teammate confidants (Harisen Recovery). Sure, they're not NEEDED but the benefits are there.

Yikes. I was idling in Mementos and then I heard chains and Reaper was behind me. Then I remembered that you could use a Goho-M in the middle of the floor

Yeah, it also gives me a reason to use accessories other than
SP Regen 3

Wow, I do it opposite. I spend time and gain ranks. After I'm satisfied, I do the dungeons in one go. Though I've noticed that doing it that way makes me way OP. What with all the fusion, and Persona that tend to be a higher level than me.

duckroll

There are confidants that give tangible benefits such as the Tower, Sun, Star and Rank 6 teammate confidants (Harisen Recovery). Sure, they're not NEEDED but the benefits are there.

You can't do any teammate Confidants once a Palace has started, until you clear it. :p

Wow, I do it opposite. I spend time and gain ranks. After I'm satisfied, I do the dungeons in one go. Though I've noticed that doing it that way makes me way OP. What with all the fusion, and Persona that tend to be a higher level than me.

I've done all the first 3 Palaces early and I'm way OP. I do the Palaces in 2 runs at most, end up higher level than pretty much all the enemies, and have Persona that are higher level than me. The Palaces are actually a -block- to teammate Confidants. Why wouldn't you clear them asap?

Ryuji is a total bro, way better than Yosuke and even Junpei, IMO. Don't get the hate for him. Also his Confidant was pretty solid.

Ydelnae

I find it odd how some characters and Ryuji himself makes references about how muscled up he is and then he has normal anime teenage body.

Zolo

You can't do any teammate Confidants once a Palace has started, until you clear it. :p

I've done all the first 3 Palaces early and I'm way OP. I do the Palaces in 2 runs at most, end up higher level than pretty much all the enemies, and have Persona that are higher level than me. The Palaces are actually a -block- to teammate Confidants. Why wouldn't you clear them asap?

You can do teammate confidants. You just can't do them for the person relating to that specific dungeon.

I'd also suggest for the fourth dungeon to get at least the first star rank for the boss, but the boss probably isn't that hard anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't dislike him any more than Junpei, who I found just as, if not more obnoxious.

Sami+

If anything I wish I could kick out Morgana. She's really mean to Ryuji for no reason and I wish I had an option to call her out for being a total dickhead

nOoblet16

You absolutely can. It's only when you once reach the treasure room that you can't level up the Slink until you defeat the boss and even then the only ones affected by this are your teammates. Your non teammate Slinks can be levelled up as normal. As for the teammate who is directly related to the dungeon you are doing, you won't even unlock their Slink until you defeat the boss.

But outside of this caveat, you can level up everyone who is unlocked for you as long as you don't reach the treasure room. Infact the allocated time you get for each dungeon is the bulk of time you get for leveling up your confidants as you have total control of what to do each day. Outside of this allocated time the game can take control away from you and do time skips meaning you can't plan things ahead.

You can do teammate confidants. You just can't do them for the person relating to that specific dungeon.

I'd also suggest for the fourth dungeon to get at least the first star rank for the boss, but the boss probably isn't that hard anyway.

Between finding the treasure and sending the calling card you are not able to do any teammate SLinks.

Auctopus

13th September
hahaaa, see ya Morgana! Don't come back. Guess who's staying up past midnight tonight, not thinking about your subplot?

Just got introduced to Mementos. Can you do a Palace and Mementos on the same day or do you have to them on separate days?

As soon as you leave one, you go back home and have to go to sleep.

I've heard one of the confidants has
an ability that will make it so going into dungeons only takes up a half-day, buy I don't know if that allows you to double dip. Probably just gives you time in the evening, which is too late to go into dungeons.

SkylineRKR

As soon as you leave one, you go back home and have to go to sleep.

I've heard one of the confidants has
an ability that will make it so going into dungeons only takes up a half-day, buy I don't know if that allows you to double dip. Probably just gives you time in the evening, which is too late to go into dungeons.

Your assumption is correct.

Lunar15

Just got introduced to Mementos. Can you do a Palace and Mementos on the same day or do you have to them on separate days?

The way I've been doing mementos is to focus on them once I've built up 2 or 3 targets, which is usually in the downtime after I've beaten a dungeon and before I've beaten the boss of said dungeon. I'll take one trip and knock out all the targets I've built out in one go, and then go down to the next progress door.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can't go into Mementos or Palaces at night anyways.

Capra

Just got 2nd rank in Temperance...
Do they really want me to scrounge up 100,000 yen to continue
?

I might have to spend some time putting my fundraising skills to work then lol

SkylineRKR

I'm playing NG+ and I love the vibe at the beginning. Ann and Ryuji are OG Phantom Thieves. The group is small time still and meets at the school rooftop, which makes it good.

That said, I also grew to be annoyed by Ryuji during my first run. His act doesn't change. What the Eff Man still sounds fun, but For Real can die in a fire.

Mishima is a decent character, you can really troll him full time.

Lunar15

That's not what fucks over people. It's that after you are forced to exit, you can't even return the next day. You eat the next day sending the calling card and only return the day AFTER that. It should definitely have been very clearly explained at the start of the dungeon, rather than at the end with a "SURPRISE!" from Morgana. Never trust cats.

It's worth it because the idea of sending a calling card is really fucking cool.

Sami+

Btw is anyone else playing in Japanese? I usually go English for stuff with dubs but the pronunciation of certain names (Sakamoto) was awful and I figured since it took place in Japan I might as well. Kinda annoyed that the voices in battle aren't subbed but whatever.

Uhg. I played the entire game on Normal, just over 105 hours....and I couldn't beat the final boss after 3+ hours of trying. I had to switch the game to easy in order to beat him(the first time, literally, that I've played a game on easy or turned down the difficulty)

Disappointing, as it feels overly tuned. (Final Boss mechanic spoiler:
His telegraphed charge attack wipes my entire party, despite being on 450+ full HP and guarding on normal difficulty. What bullshit
) Oh well. Second JRPG ever beaten. The first being Ni No Kuni.

SkylineRKR

Btw is anyone else playing in Japanese? I usually go English for stuff with dubs but the pronunciation of certain names (Sakamoto) was awful and I figured since it took place in Japan I might as well. Kinda annoyed that the voices in battle aren't subbed but whatever.

I play NG+ in JP. Sadly tin can sound quality also. Esp. during anime scenes. Kamoshida sounds kind of bad, too high pitched? I love D.C Douglas work anyway.

Ryuji is a total bro, way better than Yosuke and even Junpei, IMO. Don't get the hate for him. Also his Confidant was pretty solid.
This, so much Ryuji hate on gaf. Definitely my favorite of the persona bros, plus he gets a bunch strong abilities in the later parts of the game and does really high damage.

Uhg. I played the entire game on Normal, just over 105 hours....and I couldn't beat the final boss after 3+ hours of trying. I had to switch the game to easy beat him(the first time, literally, that I've played a game on easy, or turned down the difficulty)

Disappointing, as it feels overly tuned. (Final Boss mechanic spoiler:
His telegraphed charge attack wipes my entire party, despite being on 450+ full HP and guarding on normal difficulty. What bullshit
) Oh well. Second JRPG ever beaten. The first being Ni No Kuni.

Congrats!

Top Bottom