• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Thud

Btw is anyone else playing in Japanese? I usually go English for stuff with dubs but the pronunciation of certain names (Sakamoto) was awful and I figured since it took place in Japan I might as well. Kinda annoyed that the voices in battle aren't subbed but whatever.

I played it with JP voices, P5 is the best anime of the year.

Except the parts where they show anime cutscenes later in the game.

You can't do any teammate Confidants once a Palace has started, until you clear it. :p

I've done all the first 3 Palaces early and I'm way OP. I do the Palaces in 2 runs at most, end up higher level than pretty much all the enemies, and have Persona that are higher level than me. The Palaces are actually a -block- to teammate Confidants. Why wouldn't you clear them asap?

Procrastination. I don't think they are block to teammates, as I've ranked a couple before I started the dungeons.

Btw is anyone else playing in Japanese? I usually go English for stuff with dubs but the pronunciation of certain names (Sakamoto) was awful and I figured since it took place in Japan I might as well. Kinda annoyed that the voices in battle aren't subbed but whatever.

yea, lots of people are. no ragrets.

Uhg. I played the entire game on Normal, just over 105 hours....and I couldn't beat the final boss after 3+ hours of trying. I had to switch the game to easy in order to beat him(the first time, literally, that I've played a game on easy or turned down the difficulty)

Disappointing, as it feels overly tuned. (Final Boss mechanic spoiler:
His telegraphed charge attack wipes my entire party, despite being on 450+ full HP and guarding on normal difficulty. What bullshit
) Oh well. Second JRPG ever beaten. The first being Ni No Kuni.

Have you tried buffing your party/debuffing the enemy? It makes a huge difference.

Capra

I've been playing in Japanese since the beginning. I feel like it helps the somewhat-stilted translation and it allows me to skip the voice clips more freely if I want to. I think the cast does a pretty good job, although I guess pretty much anything sounds more legit when spoken in another language.

SkylineRKR

Uhg. I played the entire game on Normal, just over 105 hours....and I couldn't beat the final boss after 3+ hours of trying. I had to switch the game to easy in order to beat him(the first time, literally, that I've played a game on easy or turned down the difficulty)

His telegraphed charge attack wipes my entire party, despite being on 450+ full HP and guarding on normal difficulty. What bullshit

If you keep your buffs, and use debilitate on the boss, and always use concentrate on casters, you should be able to win before it takes off.

I had a Raphael with charge, arms master, nul phys and I think I mostly used charge + Sword dance.

i'm at palace 6 now with only guts left to max. kinda regret having dead stat ups pop up all the time. hopefully i didn't screw up and there's time to finish a few more links.

Gorillaz

This, so much Ryuji hate on gaf. Definitely my favorite of the persona bros, plus he gets a bunch strong abilities in the later parts of the game and does really high damage.

Dude is the definition of day one ride or die too. Easily take him over morgana and the only thing yosuke has over him is this weird 4th wall breaking comments where he just talks about random shit.

Even then I still think Ryuji is my favorite in the group. Best and funniest personality

pixxxelz

This, so much Ryuji hate on gaf. Definitely my favorite of the persona bros, plus he gets a bunch strong abilities in the later parts of the game and does really high damage.
I like him too, I don't get all the hate.
Also he is op early on, he basically carry the entire team in the 4th palace for me, his switf strike with tarukaja/sukukaja is so good.

StoneFox

They did explain it, just not explicitly. I figured it out once I looked at my calendar (which I'm guessing nobody did).
One of the first things I ever did in the game was look at the calender to see how many months were technically in the game :p I'm sill in July at the fourth palace and kinda hating this dungeon xP

Still though, the calender is very useful, I sort of wish the game forced you to look at it near the start so people knew that they could tell exactly when they had to send the calling card and avoided the whole "wtf, I lost a week of progress" soft game overs posts from earlier :p

HMD

The things I would do for a fully voiced P5... And I would love it if there were hours of anime cutscenes, I hope after the success of P5 we can get a high budget sequel.

nOoblet16

Well this is why debuffs and buffs exist. You can make it so that instead of the enemy attack doing extra damage, it does lower damage and then reduce the damage it does even further by increasing your party defense.

I finished it on normal as well and I killed that boss in my first try and I had like one person over 450 in my party. I survived his AoE attacks multiple times.

There's nothing bullshit about it honestly.

The things I would do for a fully voiced P5... And I would love it if there were hours of anime cutscenes, I hope after the success of P5 we can get a high budget sequel.

It's so weird to me that one crucial section near the end of the game is almost--but not completely--unvoiced. It's almost like they literally ran out of VA budget on the day they were scheduled to record that part of the game or something.

Ydelnae

I feel like the anime cutscenes need to go. Keep it for moments that the game engine could not handle, but they felt completely redundant this time when the characters looked way better in the in-game cutscenes.

kgtrep

Finished first run, enjoyed the story a lot and wished for more.

I easily saw the
two twists regarding Akechi
but not
why Akechi helps Shido in the first place
. I was disappointed that
Morgana's dreams didn't amount to anything

I really liked the
4th, 6th, and 7th
palaces for
their vertical, labyrinthine, and huge level designs, respectively. The design fit the palace image well
. I also liked
how Mementos became a part of the main story

Things I didn't like:
reading books, making tools, hitting a home run, raising guts, using d-pad for that one retro game!
And, of course,
Morgana telling me I can't go out on half of the nights

Best girl:
Kawakami, Futaba, Makoto

Best guy:
Iwai, Morgana

nOoblet16

The amount of dialogue in this game is staggering.
It would need to be really high budget to be able to have that many dialogues be fully voice acted in two different languages. The only game that I can think of in recent memory that had this many dialogues and was fully voiced is Witcher 3 and we all know that game is a huge anomaly in everything.

It's so weird to me that one crucial section near the end of the game is almost--but not completely--unvoiced. It's almost like they literally ran out of VA budget on the day they were scheduled to record that part of the game or something.
I agree it was weird that section didn't have any voice acting u til the last line. It was so crucial.

Thud

I think it's better if they have the money to get one studio to do their work.

Lol based on how Atlus works, it won't be until P7 for a jump in production.

kgtrep

Beat the game, maybe I missed it but do they explain
why Sojiro agreed to take you in?

At one point, Sojiro says that
the main character reminds him of his younger self. He's also atoning for Wakaba's death by taking MC and Futaba in.

I'm already planning on replaying Trails of Cold Steel on PC just for the 5k extra voiced lines, I'd easily do the same for P5

Well this is why debuffs and buffs exist. You can make it so that instead of the enemy attack doing extra damage, it does lower damage and then reduce the damage it does even further by increasing your party defense.

I finished it on normal as well and I killed that boss in my first try and I had like one person over 450 in my party. I survived his AoE attacks multiple times.

I had the wrong debuffs and buffs. Mainly attack & evasion boosts, and enemy defense down.

This was my first SMT game, apart from a couple of hours of P4G. I feel I prioritised pointless skills on my party and MC level ups. Most of the element buff passives(+25% fire etc) stuff were wasted slots. Thankfully I know better now. I also didn't level the strength confidant, as I found it tedious to do. Turns out it lets you break the game.

I really needed to play around with copying skills onto cards as well. Oh well.

nOoblet16

Lol based on how Atlus works, it won't be until P7 for a jump in production.
Lol true. If Persona 6 comes out in the next 2 years then fully expect it to be another PS3 game ported up to PS4. If it takes longer than that and is built from the ground up for PS4 then expect it to come out when PS5 is the common around the world.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Fucking [enemy spoiler]
crystal skull. No rare enemy should be this rare. Still haven't saw one after so many hours.

Raising the alert level of a palace increases the odds.

Also there's a thief tool you can make that when used makes them more likely to appear while you're in the palace for that session.

I feel like the anime cutscenes need to go. Keep it for moments that the game engine could not handle, but they felt completely redundant this time when the characters looked way better in the in-game cutscenes.

It's pretty weird how low budget the anime custscenes felt. Game has like 30 minutes of anime cutscenes and was in development for years and years. You would think that with that amount of time they would look way better.

Question about how Mementos works:

Is it better to wait until there are multiple targets, or can you only do one per day?

Multiple.

I did my first set of two after the tutorial I think after the 2nd dungeon and it was REALLY easy on normal. I don't know if I should have done them before the 2nd dungeon or if they were both available then. I just finished the 3rd dungeon and I have 3, I'm thinking of doing another run soon.

Hint for mementos if you haven't seen it.
Cast Pupipina on bosses.

nOoblet16

I had the wrong debuffs and buffs. Mainly attack & evasion boosts, and enemy defense down.

This was my first SMT game, apart from a couple of hours of P4G. I feel I prioritised pointless skills on my party and MC level ups. Most of the element buff passives(+25% fire etc) stuff were wasted slots. Thankfully I know better now. I also didn't level the strength confidant, as I found it tedious to do. Turns out it lets you break the game.

I really needed to play around with copying skills onto cards as well. Oh well.
Wait are you saying the passive boosts are pointless? Cause they aren't, you get like 50% boost which is a lot tbh and kind of allows you to not use attack buff all the time.

This is sort of my first SMT game as well. I never played Persona 3 and Persona 4 for more than 2 hours. Anyhow with the way that fight works it is possible to reduce enemy defense, increase your defense, raise your attack and do massive damage all within 2 turns but yes you do need to have the abilities to be able to do that.

I had the strength confidant unlocked but I didn't fuse anything higher leveled tbh because it was too expensive. I just used the high level personas I caught in my fight leading up to the boss and fused them together. I also spent some time around the 6th dungeon mark on making some 1-2 Personas that do AoE buffs and debuffs and have most of the abilities covered so that I don't have to rely on others or keep switching to different personas all the time. Basically my MAC was the shaman of the party while the damage came from other party members.

silva1991

Raising the alert level of a palace increases the odds.

Also there's a thief tool you can make that when used makes them more likely to appear while you're in the palace for that session.

I'm in mementos, so no alert.

You mean the very last palace before the final boss?

Question about how Mementos works:

Is it better to wait until there are multiple targets, or can you only do one per day?

You can do as many requests in a day as you want. New floors open up after the deadline on a dungeon expires and always have the same enemies/loot that that dungeon has, so ideally you go as far down as you can before going into the next dungeon.

I have to constantly remind my self to idle on the ps4 menu or ingame menu when in mementos. Unfortunately I lost like an hour worth of work because I forgot about the punishment. Came back and ran right in to it......

Why does Atlus take so long to make another mainline Persona game?

If it helps, it shouldn't take too long for the next one. With Atlus you will get 2 persona games back to back then a lul. They tend to create a system(?) then use it for a bunch of games. Persona 3 and 4, Then Devil summoner 1, 2, Nocturne.

nOoblet16

It's pretty weird how low budget the anime custscenes felt. Game has like 30 minutes of anime cutscenes and was in development for years and years. You would think that with that amount of time they would look way better.

There were so many times the faces and proportions of characters ended up getting distorted in anime cutscenes whenever they moved. I am playing Persona 4 now and it actually has quite a bit higher quality anime cutscenes.

DNAbro

You are supposed to take out its arms and maybe the boss before it goes off.

FluxWaveZ

From P4 to P5 they had to deal with:

1. Index corruption, leading to bankruptcy, leading to Sega acquiring Atlus.
2. Having to assume responsibility for the troubled development of P4D from Dingo (a company which is now bankrupt).
3. The development of Catherine as a breather from Persona games and a way to prepare for next generation development.
4. Developing an entirely new engine for P5, as well as making entirely new models of Megaten demons (which was extremely time consuming, according to interviews).
5. Development scope increasing from just PS3 to PS4.
6. The fact that, at the peak of Persona 5's development, there were around 77 people working on the game. A small team.
7. Profiting from the increased exposure of the Persona series by remaking all of the mainline Persona games and working on various spin-offs.

QuadOpto

Explained very very early in the game, he gets paid to do so. It's like a form of community service.

This is actually an interesting/heartwarming thing because
one night there's a report on the TV that says that probationary officers in Japan are actually voluntary and do not get paid for their work. Morgana then says that you should thank the boss for taking you in.

Zolo

In Persona 5's case?

-Catherine
-HD Demons
-Switching from Index to Sega
-I believe they helped a bit with at least P4 dancing and maybe other spinoffs?
-Etc?

That said, certainly never expect anything too GRAPHICALLY impressive if only because of how much time it would take for the size of the team.

Top Bottom