• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

kewlmyc

How would fans like it if P6 was done by the B-team at P-Studios since the main talent has moved on to the new fantasy game. IIRC, the B-team worked with Arcsys on the Arena series.

The gist is to unlock all possible areas. Then select the area your target is in, then Morgana will say he's either on a lower or higher floor. When I enter Area 8 and Morgana says he's at a higher floor, I sometimes try 1 or 4 and see what he says. This makes traversal minimal. Some are standing at the end of an area you can instantly warp to.

Ohhh, I see, thanks.

DNAbro

How would fans like it if P6 was done by the B-team at P-Studios since the main talent has moved on to the new fantasy game. IIRC, the B-team worked with Arcsys on the Arena series.

As long as the word "bonds" is banned from being used I might be okay with it.

Weiss

Banned
Eh I would prefer if someone steps in rather than wait. Maybe Persona will see a shift like it did from 2 ->3. Maybe the Devil Survivor people, even though I didn't like the 2nd one as much as the 1st. Felt like Persona infected it.
I also don't want anymore spin-off games. I feel like they rode P4 way too long.

Alternatively there's an awkward attempt to ape what made it popular and making something awful.

The spinoffs have certainly not filled me with hope in that regard.

I'd wait for reviews on the new Persona, but would be super hyped for the new fantasy game. i follow creators, not brands.

Rien

Jelly Belly
You talk to the person on a day when their confidant won't level up. You're given the option to invite them somewhere fun, or to hang out in the area they're already in.

Cool, Thanx.. what does it gain tho? Time is limited so what do i win if i relax with them without deepening the bond?

I was going to say, if any team from Atlus takes over Persona, I'd like for it to be the Devil Survivor team. The writer & director on that team are both very talented (formerly the writer/director on the Growlanser series and Langrisser series which were also both well written).

Cool, Thanx.. what does it gain tho? Time is limited so what do i win if i relax with them without deepening the bond?

You get closer to deepening the bond. There are "behind-the-scenes" points between each level of bond, and hanging out with them will give you like 2-3 usually (this is in the game as the music notes you see popping out of their at responses). You also usually receive some sort of item to decorate your room with depending on where you chose to hang out.

nOoblet16

I figure Persona has always been a good seller in the west. At least it sold really well since 3.
Sold enough in the west to get full localisation but not enough in Japan and overall to frequently get games. Whereas Yakuza sells enough in Japan to get frequent games but not enough in west to get full localisation did I get that right?

Still it seems a bit odd that Persona would sell more than Yakuza in the west. Then again it might be because they fuck up the western release of Yakuza by cutting things out or releasing super late.

DNAbro

Alternatively there's an awkward attempt to ape what made it popular and making something awful.

I'm not sure what the flanderization of the characters could be in spin-offs.

Morgana - Lady Ann all the time.
Ryuji - Even more yelling?
Ann - I love modeling or something
Yusuke - Does even more weird shit
Makoto - Mitsuru levels of student council president devotion.
Futaba - 24/7 gaming and internet jokes
Haru - ehhh I got nothing.

FluxWaveZ

I see, then it's strange that Persona got fully localised with English voice overs and Yakuza didn't.

That's a different issue, which comes to how the companies value the overseas performance of their titles. It's like how Dai Gyakuten Saiban's localization would probably not cost (relatively) much, but Capcom isn't doing it because it wouldn't be profitable enough. For the Yakuza series, I doubt an English dub would move sales that much for a Western audience.

I still want my Persona 5 Arena game tho

Absolutely. Playing Makoto with motorcycle moves, a brawler playstyle and a revolver sounds immediately fun on paper.

I was going to say, if any team from Atlus takes over Persona, I'd like for it to be the Devil Survivor team. The writer & director on that team are both very talented (formerly the writer/director on the Growlanser series and Langrisser series which were also both well written).

Based on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and even Devil Survivor itself, no thanks.

Eylos

Banned
Persona 1 1996
Persona 2 IS/EP = 99/00
Persona 3 2006
Persona 4 2008
Persona 5 2016

They take a lot of time changing Engine afaik, If they use the same Engine, we have some Hope for a persona 6 not so far in the Future.

kewlmyc

I want this only if the artist for those games comes back. I un-ironically like his art, even bought his art books.

Also partially to see the amount of rage that it would bring on this forum.

nOoblet16

Persona 1 1996
Persona 2 IS/EP = 99/00
Persona 3 2006
Persona 4 2008
Persona 5 2016

They take a lot of time changing Engine afaik, If they use the same Engine, we have some Hope for a persona 6 not so far in the Future.
I'd say the Persona 4 to Persona 5 gap was more due to Golden and Catherine. I assume the engine was ready by the time Catherine was finished.

There's also the fact that they started development for a lot of games for last gen machines while new machines were already out in the market (P4 being developed during PS3 era, P4 being developed for PS3 during PS4 era), meaning the next release would take time while they were playing catch up with technology. But they are in a better situation now than before since they don't have to do as much work to transfer over to PS4 now in terms of engine and art as it's sufficiently high enough in quality already that only a few extra additions and refinements would be enough instead of complete overhaul and reworking.

FluxWaveZ

I'd say the Persona 4 to Persona 5 gap was more due to Golden and Catherine. I assume the engine was ready by the time Catherine was finished.

No. They did not use Gamebryo for Persona 5. They developed a brand new engine for the game shortly after Catherine's release in February 2011, which they then finished in August 2011.

I like the Devil Survivor artist too. Not sure if he'd be right for Persona though.

Based on Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and even Devil Survivor itself, no thanks.

What's wrong with Devil Survivor? That team create very different games, if you look at Growlanser vs. Devil Survivor they're entirely different kinds of games that you wouldn't know were from the same team. Not played Tokyo Mirage Sessions yet so can't really say one way or another but I doubt they'd make their Persona game exactly like that. I think they're a really good development team though that could make a different kind of Persona experience/formula (which needs changing up again, imo). The Etrian Odyssey team got a crack at Persona with Persona Q, no reason why the Devil Survivor team can't create let's say even a SRPG spin off for Persona?

Guess Who

Banned

That's my concern as well. I don't think a single one of the P3/P4 spinoffs really captured what made P3 and P4 (and even P5) work. I joked about it in OT1, but think about a character like Futaba in P5. Futaba works because her quirkiness is justified and contextualized. She's not just an lol random nerd girl, there's a specific set of circumstances that explain who she is and why she is that way, both for better and for worse.

The P3 and P4 spinoffs largely forgot all the nuance behind their original games' characters and stories, and sucked all the life and heart out of them. P4 got hit really hard by this. P4, especially early in the game, has a mood to it. Inaba's old and run down, the school is dusty and dirty, your teacher's an asshole, your detective uncle drinks a lot and has a rocky relationship with his daughter, everyone in this small town gossips and knows everyone else -- but when you think about P4, what most people remember is Happy Fun Times with Best Friends and Colors and Pop Music, because almost every piece of P4 media since the original game has focused on that aspect alone.

Empress Rank 4 spoilers -
Haru: "Hey so just so you know you're drinking elephant dung, btw can I force feed Morgana coffee beans so I can harvest his poop for coffee?"
Where's my
quietly get up and leave the table
response option? lol

Persona 1 1996
Persona 2 IS/EP = 99/00
Persona 3 2006
Persona 4 2008
Persona 5 2016

Yeah. Between the engine, moving to dev for PS3 and PS4, and the Atlus shakeups with Sega and Index, P5 had a lot on it's plate as far as development.

I really hope P6 ends up being a PS4 game and we see it sooner rather than later, like it was with P3 to P4.

FluxWaveZ

What's wrong with Devil Survivor? That team create very different games, if you look at Growlanser vs. Devil Survivor they're entirely different kinds of games that you wouldn't know were from the same team. Not played Tokyo Mirage Sessions yet so can't really say one way or another but I doubt they'd make their Persona game exactly like that. I think they're a really good development team though that could make a different kind of Persona experience/formula (which needs changing up again, imo).

The fact that I'm not convinced that team would be able to assume the direction of Persona and make it shine in a way Persona fans are used to. TMS #FE is a big part of this, seeing how it was lead mainly by the DS team, but felt very much like a Persona lite.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Graphically speaking I don't think P5 needed to be any more impressive than it is. Honestly, just making sure we got a dual port was enough for me because the style of the game is conducive to the graphics looking the way they go.

daveo42

Banned
6th Palace spoiler

Do I really have to play these games to earn 50k coins?

Keep going and you'll find out what you need to do to quickly win that amount

Graphically speaking I don't think P5 needed to be any more impressive than it is. Honestly, just making sure we got a dual port was enough for me because the style of the game is conducive to the graphics looking the way they go.

I'd personally like higher res textures but that's it.

nOoblet16

No. They did not use Gamebryo for Persona 5. They developed a brand new engine for the game shortly after Catherine's release in February 2011, which they then finished in August 2011.
Gamebroyo? As in Bethesda jank? I didn't know that engine was used outside of Bethesda.

The fact that I'm not convinced that team would be able to assume the direction of Persona and make it shine in a way Persona fans are used to. TMS #FE is a big part of this, seeing how it was lead mainly by the DS team, but felt very much like a Persona lite.

Which started to happen with Devil Survivor 2. Maybe the next game will be a true Persona game! Though I would like them to go back to a Devil Survivor, with less Persona.

Capra

Didn't they change writers between DeSu 1 and 2? I really liked the scenario for 1, but 2 went overboard with the anime cliches and it lost a lot of what made the first so impactful. Although I will admit I liked some of the characters far more than a decent chunk of the cast in 1.

Rien

Jelly Belly
You get closer to deepening the bond. There are "behind-the-scenes" points between each level of bond, and hanging out with them will give you like 2-3 usually (this is in the game as the music notes you see popping out of their at responses). You also usually receive some sort of item to decorate your room with depending on where you chose to hang out.

Ah cool!! Definetly worth spending time with them then.

KraytarJ

I'm not sure what the flanderization of the characters could be in spin-offs.

Morgana - Lady Ann all the time.
Ryuji - Even more yelling?
Ann - I love modeling or something
Yusuke - Does even more weird shit
Makoto - Mitsuru levels of student council president devotion.
Futaba - 24/7 gaming and internet jokes
Haru - ehhh I got nothing.
Just turn Haru into Mugi from K-on (from her intro she's already happy to go along with everyone's hi jinx and eventually maybe she can even be a quite lethal strawberry thief too).

nOoblet16

It looks great but it needs some refinement like; higher resolution textures (you can barely even read important signs), fixing NPCs turning into silhouettes 5 meters away from you, less restrictive areas. All of these were probably because the game was being RAM limited by the PS3.

For the visuals themselves they don't need to do anything more than adding PBR to their rendering pipeline and it'll automatically end up making everything look considerably better.

Does anyone have a list of all the Max Arcana Persona?

Didn't they change writers between DeSu 1 and 2? I really liked the scenario for 1, but 2 went overboard with the anime cliches and it lost a lot of what made the first so impactful. Although I will admit I liked some of the characters far more than a decent chunk of the cast in 1.

They did? That actually explains a lot.

Zolo

The main problem I'd see in a Persona sequel without Hashino is if it would still retain a clear vision on the themes they want the story to go over. That seems to be one of the things Hashino's very good at where you can even see in interviews regarding Persona 5 about how he wanted to address certain issues in Japan.

In comparison, would another team do something similar, or just go with a generic anime story?

They did? That actually explains a lot.
I've given DS1 shit before, but it did do great as being onen of the couple of SMT games where (almost) all the paths felt good and valid rather than neutral being the bestest.

I'd be pretty okay with the Devil Survivor/Tokyo Mirage Sessions team taking on Persona, as I really like both series, but I also agree that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is not necessarily a great blueprint for a Persona game simply because it's so much smaller in scope in some ways.

Considering how little I care for what I've seen of Project Re Fantasy (sorry, can't give two shits about yet another medieval fantasy RPG no matter who's making it), I want Persona to return sooner rather than later. Though if instead the Devil Survivor team just makes Devil Survivor 3, I'm totally okay with that too.

nOoblet16

I'd be pretty okay with the Devil Survivor/Tokyo Mirage Sessions team taking on Persona, as I really like both series, but I also agree that Tokyo Mirage Sessions is not necessarily a great blueprint for a Persona game simply because it's so much smaller in scope in some ways.

Considering how little I care for what I've seen of Project Re Fantasy (sorry, can't give two shits about yet another medieval fantasy RPG no matter who's making it), I want Persona to return sooner rather than later. Though if instead the Devil Survivor team just makes Devil Survivor 3, I'm totally okay with that too.
I'm the same I literally give zero fucks about medieval fantasy.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Will the game warn me when I'm running close to the end? As in, when I won't get any more free time before the end of the game. I'm at the end of December and if this is actually a full calendar year then
I don't see how a max SLink run is hard at all, so I kind of have a feeling I'm getting shafted on time at some point.

Top Bottom