• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

bryt

I feel I have to ask. What's the point of spacing out DLC costumes releases by weeks? Players want to use costumes when they are playing the game. Costumes are useless if they have beaten the game. What benefit is there in spacing out content that doesn't have any gameplay content? I can understand if there are bonus dungeons or quests released later on to get people to "go back" to the game. But costumes?

Yeah, I don't get it. I have no desire to buy any DLC because I'll be done with the game by the time everything is released...

Maybe they have analytic data that it sells better somehow?

Jiraiza

NBLPtIe.jpg

Get out of my video games, GAF.

But I'm loving the hell out of Futaba's SL. The involvement of other characters is filling me with so much glee.

Kyuur

Finally started playing this after finishing Zelda. Beat the first dungeon and onto the next; the plot point its working off is really weak compared to the first one so far, and the game seems to be trying to play it off as if its as big of a deal as the first. Kind of shitty, hope it picks up again and they didn't blow their entire load on the first month.

Also what the hell at our group of phantom thieves actually meeting and discussing changing hearts with random people IRL. :lol: No wonder we got caught!

I want to drop 24 bucks right now on Persona 3 + Catherine + Raido + Thanatos to have a mix of costumes for my team, and I want to rotate Morgana's costume each Palace from this point on. But the two main packs I want to buy aren't out until 5/2, and I'll probably be almost finished with the game or at the end by then. What's the point?

So if I end up beating the game by then. Instead of 24 bucks, they might get 0 bucks from me because I don't want to fund my wallet just for the P3 pack.

Oh no, I totally get what you're saying. The staggered DLC release model they're using seems to work well with expansion content as opposed to cosmetic items, so it's a bit puzzling as to why they went that route.

Honestly, the best part of having
Goro
in your party is the line and delivery of "
My skills exceed yours!
"

And since there's a lot of
Akechi
discussion on the last few pages, I'm just going to write up a thing on him.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

It seems to me that the game decided to do something atypical with the Seven Deadly Sins in that it split Vanity off from Pride and gave it its own dungeon in Madarame, and then took Wrath and split it in half. The first half is Futaba's erroneous view of her mother, and the second half is Goro.

Goro comes across to me as someone who is severely emotionally stunted. He's meant to be the classic detective rival to the protagonist's gentleman thief, and he's even got some similar circumstances in that he's implied to be another Wild Card. But where both Goro and the Phantom Thieves are in it for revenge, Joker and crew use that drive to free other victims, whereas Goro just uses it for his own revenge and gratification. In other words, the Phantom Thieves are the righteous version of anger (hey, I just realized why the game's theme colour is red!), while Goro is what happens when that anger consumes you and leads you wrong, i.e. Wrath.

I remember him saying some stuff in his battle that made him out to be very condescending and dismissive of the Thieves' actions and circumstances, like he just couldn't move past his own victimization to transform it into righteous retribution, as they (and especially Joker, as they both got fucked over by the same person) did. And then you consider his ridiculous Metaverse outfit, Persona design, and All-Out-Attack finisher, and it's all just so... childish. The other characters' outfits and Personas mostly have this sense of grace or coherence to them, but his look like some over-the-top cheesy design you'd see in a comic aimed at elementary schoolers. And then his AOA finisher is this absurd attempt to show off and look more graceful than the other characters do, but instead it ends up super overdone and just looks ridiculous because he's clearly acting, while everyone else is honest and has actually dealt with their shit. In other words, Goro doesn't know what heroism actually looks like.

Tl;dr: Wrath is what happens when you don't have the emotional maturity to direct your anger in a constructive direction and end up fucking up everything around you instead.
END-GAME SPOILERS:

Wow. I just beat the game and this is something that never occurred to me. When I first saw Robin Hood I thought it was so gaudy and silly looking, but that must have been the point the whole time. Honestly, I never even gave it a thought that Akechi having some vibrant goofy looking do-gooder Persona would be such a subtle piece of brilliant characterization like that. I honestly kind of just thought that his Persona looked like due to time restraints for character designs or something, but damn... that's really clever characterization.

Nose Master

Palace 5 boss

If you're affected by hunger status and the boss does the big bang attack, instead of doing massive damage it will heal you instead.

Oh wow. I was wondering
what the fuck happened. I went ham when he raged and didn't kill h and accepted my death, only to have ryuji and mc survive and get full healed. I thought it was an slink thing.

Jiraiza

Emperor, Rank 8:

Great stuff, I like how Ryuji and Ann were involved in helping Yusuke get out of his slump. Now this is what I call real friends bonding.

Pachinko

Well I made it deep into Palace 3 tonight , was just a wee bit of a grind at points because I didn't have
PSY or HOLY
and a good chunk of the most annoying enemies in there are those 2 types :(

Ah well, I've saved while still in there for now but I'm almost right out of SP and restorative items so I've got the second dilemma ... I blew of Takemi to enter the dungeon for the first time and I feel like it was a missed opportunity because I'm about to hit level 7 with her and oh boy at that perk.
I bought a single SP adhesive and , yeah it basically gives the MC an extra 14 SP to play with each fight. ... would be nice to have a discount on those given they're 40K + each

So question for those who have finished Palace 3 -
I've gone down the vault elevator to the laundering room , beaten the 3 ogre battle (nearly got killed actually) where you run into Kaneshiro and he drops his notebook with what looks like password hints - how much is left ? more importantly , is there more combat in the final spiral looking room leading to the treasure ? I feel like it's a waste of a second night to have to go back here to do a single hallway if I can tough it out but... I don't have a lot left to work with really without getting pretty creative...

Kinsei

Banned
Well I made it deep into Palace 3 tonight , was just a wee bit of a grind at points because I didn't have
PSY or HOLY
and a good chunk of the most annoying enemies in there are those 2 types :(

Ah well, I've saved while still in there for now but I'm almost right out of SP and restorative items so I've got the second dilemma ... I blew of Takemi to enter the dungeon for the first time and I feel like it was a missed opportunity because I'm about to hit level 7 with her and oh boy at that perk.
I bought a single SP adhesive and , yeah it basically gives the MC an extra 14 SP to play with each fight. ... would be nice to have a discount on those given they're 40K + each

So question for those who have finished Palace 3 -
I've gone down the vault elevator to the laundering room , beaten the 3 ogre battle (nearly got killed actually) where you run into Kaneshiro and he drops his notebook with what looks like password hints - how much is left ? more importantly , is there more combat in the final spiral looking room leading to the treasure ? I feel like it's a waste of a second night to have to go back here to do a single hallway if I can tough it out but... I don't have a lot left to work with really without getting pretty creative...

There are a few areas with more enemies and another mini boss before you reach the treasure.

6th Palace:
Got the 100K coins...but then spent some of it on items.
Oops.

I did tried to do that and I found that the arena is a one time thing and reloaded. I wondered what to do if you don't have 100k. Do you have to play more slot machines in the member floor?

I'm burning through my Confidants like mad in the last month and a half (thanks Fortune and Temperance), but I feel like there's no way I can finish them all. I messed up. I spent way too much Tim leveling social stats up top, not realize how many Confidants give major points with every hang out. It's what I get for attempting to hit level 10 with specific characters instead of spreading the love around. What I wouldn't give for one more month... after playing 105 hours (so far) nothing feels worse than knowing failure is on the horizon, no matter what I do.

I'm burning through my Confidants like mad in the last month and a half (thanks Fortune and Temperance), but I feel like there's no way I can finish them all. I messed up. I spent way too much Tim leveling social stats up top, not realize how many Confidants give major points with every hang out. It's what I get for attempting to hit level 10 with specific characters instead of spreading the love around. What I wouldn't give for one more month... after playing 105 hours (so far) nothing feels worse than knowing failure is on the horizon, no matter what I do.

I don't think it's possible to max out all confidants in your first playthrough. That's what NG+ is for.

Jiraiza

Hierophant, Rank 7:

D'awwwwwwwwwww, I love Sojiro and Futaba. Amazing dad and daughter.

It's official, Sojiro > Dojima.

Stalwart

Hierophant, Rank 7:

There are many heart-melting moments between the two. I don't think you're there yet so you can read this after a couple more ranks but
Futaba calling Sojiro her father and him getting choked up about it was a very touching moment.

ChrisD

Hierophant, Rank 7:

Not going to read the spoiler, but he was already better after the first month or so when he stops talking like you're the devil. He's a really likable character.

R0ckman

Was this forshadowed earlier? End game spoilers

That the shadows with their own Palaces escapes from momentos? Would have been nice if one of the shadows you fought started freaking out about not wanting to go back "there". Just some vague refrence. After Shido things just felt kind of Japanese RPG tropy where you have to fight a God.

ramyeon

I don't think it's possible to max out all confidants in your first playthrough. That's what NG+ is for.
Sure it's possible with a guide. But otherwise very difficult. Can even be difficult with a guide if you mess something up like not completing a Palace in one visit, missing a Mementos request etc.

Kinsei

Banned

NG+ is your friend. Take a few months/a year off after you beat the game and then do a new playthrough using a guide.

R0ckman

Honestly, the best part of having
Goro
in your party is the line and delivery of "
My skills exceed yours!
"

And since there's a lot of
Akechi
discussion on the last few pages, I'm just going to write up a thing on him.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

It seems to me that the game decided to do something atypical with the Seven Deadly Sins in that it split Vanity off from Pride and gave it its own dungeon in Madarame, and then took Wrath and split it in half. The first half is Futaba's erroneous view of her mother, and the second half is Goro.

Goro comes across to me as someone who is severely emotionally stunted. He's meant to be the classic detective rival to the protagonist's gentleman thief, and he's even got some similar circumstances in that he's implied to be another Wild Card. But where both Goro and the Phantom Thieves are in it for revenge, Joker and crew use that drive to free other victims, whereas Goro just uses it for his own revenge and gratification. In other words, the Phantom Thieves are the righteous version of anger (hey, I just realized why the game's theme colour is red!), while Goro is what happens when that anger consumes you and leads you wrong, i.e. Wrath.

I remember him saying some stuff in his battle that made him out to be very condescending and dismissive of the Thieves' actions and circumstances, like he just couldn't move past his own victimization to transform it into righteous retribution, as they (and especially Joker, as they both got fucked over by the same person) did. And then you consider his ridiculous Metaverse outfit, Persona design, and All-Out-Attack finisher, and it's all just so... childish. The other characters' outfits and Personas mostly have this sense of grace or coherence to them, but his look like some over-the-top cheesy design you'd see in a comic aimed at elementary schoolers. And then his AOA finisher is this absurd attempt to show off and look more graceful than the other characters do, but instead it ends up super overdone and just looks ridiculous because he's clearly acting, while everyone else is honest and has actually dealt with their shit. In other words, Goro doesn't know what heroism actually looks like.

Tl;dr: Wrath is what happens when you don't have the emotional maturity to direct your anger in a constructive direction and end up fucking up everything around you instead.

That's the weakness of sociopaths, they have to act. Another weakness is that they are too invested in your reactions. So if intereacting with them you'll notice that they are more interested in how you are reacting to them than the actual convo.

Opa-Pa

Ended up romancing Makoto since she's one of my favorite characters in the game and she looks cute with the MC. Finished her social link too and lmao
her ultimate Persona is a fucking motorcycle transformer

Lingitiz

Palace 4 is definitely the highlight of the game for me so far. Felt like it was settling into too much a routine, and they managed to change things up on both a dungeon design and story standpoint. Awesome stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Speaking of slogs (endgame spoilers)
I really want to see the reaction of people reaching endgame without touching mementos at all.

Hugstable

Banned
People aren't dumb. We know how much costumes are, if we buy them it's because we want to. I want to drop 24 bucks right now on Persona 3 + Catherine + Raido + Thanatos to have a mix of costumes for my team, and I want to rotate Morgana's costume each Palace from this point on. But the two main packs I want to buy aren't out until 5/2, and I'll probably be almost finished with the game or at the end by then. What's the point?

So if I end up beating the game by then. Instead of 24 bucks, they might get 0 bucks from me because I don't want to fund my wallet just for the P3 pack.

I bought the P3 pack just cause it comes with an accessory that increases your money

I'm terrible and part of the problem :( :(

NG+ is your friend. Take a few months/a year off after you beat the game and then do a new playthrough using a guide.

I'm not psyched, after spending likely 130+ hours in my first playthrough, to then go through it all again following a guide so I can see the three social links I didn't finish.

P4G is one of my all-time favorites. I put 110 hours in (I'm already at that in P5 without even doing the 6th palace). I never replayed it and I never will. I'll never know how Nanako's S.Link resolves and if I watched it online it's feel empty.

I think making S.Links so hard to complete is a bad system. I get the point of it but I don't like what it's trying to do. I would much rather they had given you incentive to hang out with people you already maxed rather than making it nearly impossible (even with concerted effort but without a guide) to complete all of them. It causes you to abandon characters that mean a lot to you for dozens of hours because you're desperately trying to level up everyone else before the endgame.

This game is amazing <3 I went with normal expectations but man everything's so stylish (those AoA!!) and all the new mechanics feel so great. Literally played straight for like 5 or 6 days lol I have so many things to say about the game ;) The story so far has been interesting to me, it always feels exciting to go after the next target. I have enjoyed the dub for the most part.

I came to the game expecting to like Haru (
that Phantom Thief design <3
) and Ann the most but Makoto is pretty much my favorite character by now. The fact that she's voiced by Komaru from DR is even better. Protag is cool as hell, Morgana is less annoying than I thought he would be, Ryuji's pretty fun but also dumb most of the times, Ann's ok, Yusuke also exceeded my expectations (most of the funny scenes are with him lol), I enjoyed Futaba's arc and how she interacts with the other, I want to like Haru but that voice x_x and I really like Goro's personality as well.

I'm just beginning the fifth palace, but is the Ryuji's rank 7 ability that bad as people claim it to be? If so, I think I have a save file moments before that rank up so I'm ok with not maxing him this playthrough.

ramyeon

I'm just beginning the fifth palace, but is the Ryuji's rank 7 ability that bad as people claim it to be? If so, I think I have a save file moments before that rank up so I'm ok with not maxing him this playthrough.
It's not that bad. It only affects shadows that are considerably weaker than you anyway.

Sure it's possible with a guide. But otherwise very difficult. Can even be difficult with a guide if you mess something up like not completing a Palace in one visit, missing a Mementos request etc.

It absolutely is. Plenty of people have done it without even using a guide.

I honestly couldn't imagine. Though I've only been using a confidant choice guide since August or so, I think I've been doing alright. I guess I really have to choose the right answer (+3 points) for everything so I don't have to hang out without actually getting a rank up with the confidants?

There's also maxing out my social stats besides that. It was my main priority on top of confidants. Maybe I really shouldn't have maxed everything? I think a couple of stats aren't needed to be maxed to proceed with all of the confidants. Social stats took a lot of my time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think Goro ended up being my favorite character in the game.
Most people seem to hate him, but I found him really relatable in a very dark, very human way. His attention seeking behavior and strong desire to be accepted even if he thinks people are garbage is deporable, but as someone who lost 100+ lbs. between high school and college and was suddenly treated like a completely different person, I could sort of tangentially see where he was coming from. He was shunned and accepted and then shunned again at the drop of a hat, and hated people for their shallowness. Then he met someone who was happy with being rejected, and didn't lash out or even feel a need to lash out at being an outcast. His line about the protagonist being happy living in an attic, and how that so deeply pissed him off, was really powerful. It was like the MC completely removed his justification for being the way he was and shattered his worldview entirely. Seeing the Thieves and how close they were with each other and how content they were with their lives, which were more mundane and even terrible compared to his star detective persona, made him realize how empty his revenge quest had been, but he couldn't bring himself to accept that and change. It made it hit even closer to home that the same person that ruined his life is the one who ruined the protagonist's.

His struggle after his defeat is amazing. You can feel him wanting to be a part of the Thieves, but he's just too stubborn and wrapped up in his hate to admit it to them, or to himself. And then before he has a chance to act, he dies. He's a very organically written tragic character, even if his choices make him deserving of his fate in the end. I genuinely felt bad for him, and empathized with him, but I still wanted to see him brought to justice.

PK Gaming

Post 5th dungeon spoilers

WOooooooow

Wow

WOooooooooooowwwwww

So the story's finally taken its first major swerve, and it's totally got me hooked. Shit is absolutely getting real, and I love, love, lovw how the Phantom Thieves have suffered their first major defeat. The death of Haru's dad contributed to this amazing atmosphere of despair and confusion. It's funny, they became Phantom Thieves to liberate themselves and others, but they're trapped more than ever and it's a palpable feeling. The best part is that you totally get the sense that something's off during that arc too. Haru's dad is just so convenient as an antagonist. A paper dragon to make the Phantom Thieves look even cooler. The rising popularity of the Phantom Thieves gave me this Hercules type feel (I wish we could buy Phantom Thief merch) and it's great how it panned out.

I've seen comments how it's the worst arc/dungeon, but I don't really agree. September/October is the set up to biggest arc yet. There's so much to think about, though one thing's been made clear;

Trust nobody.

PS: I'm damn excited for the next "target". I didn't like Kaneshiro as Makoto's obstacle at all, but i'm glad she's finally getting a personal enemy.

I think Goro ended up being my favorite character in the game.
Most people seem to hate him, but I found him really relatable in a very dark, very human way. His attention seeking behavior and strong desire to be accepted even if he thinks people are garbage is deporable, but as someone who lost 100+ lbs. between high school and college and was suddenly treated like a completely different person, I could sort of tangentially see where he was coming from. He was shunned and accepted and then shunned again at the drop of a hat, and hated people for their shallowness. Then he met someone who was happy with being rejected, and didn't lash out or even feel a need to lash out at being an outcast. His line about the protagonist being happy living in an attic, and how that so deeply pissed him off, was really powerful. It was like the MC completely removed his justification for being the way he was and shattered his worldview entirely. Seeing the Thieves and how close they were with each other and how content they were with their lives, which were more mundane and even terrible compared to his star detective persona, made him realize how empty his revenge quest had been, but he couldn't bring himself to accept that and change. It made it hit even closer to home that the same person that ruined his life is the one who ruined the protagonist's.

His struggle after his defeat is amazing. You can feel him wanting to be a part of the Thieves, but he's just too stubborn and wrapped up in his hate to admit it to them, or to himself. And then before he has a chance to act, he dies. He's a very organically written tragic character, even if his choices make him deserving of his fate in the end. I genuinely felt bad for him, and empathized with him, but I still wanted to see him brought to justice.

I don't hate him. I even like his costume and all-out-attack animation and pose. Those really show his characteristics.

I was actually hoping that he somehow survived that and finally join the party for real sometime later. But sadly that never happens. His affinity and spells are also super useful, overpowered even.

I'm not psyched, after spending likely 130+ hours in my first playthrough, to then go through it all again following a guide so I can see the three social links I didn't finish.

P4G is one of my all-time favorites. I put 110 hours in (I'm already at that in P5 without even doing the 6th palace). I never replayed it and I never will. I'll never know how Nanako's S.Link resolves and if I watched it online it's feel empty.

I think making S.Links so hard to complete is a bad system. I get the point of it but I don't like what it's trying to do. I would much rather they had given you incentive to hang out with people you already maxed rather than making it nearly impossible (even with concerted effort but without a guide) to complete all of them. It causes you to abandon characters that mean a lot to you for dozens of hours because you're desperately trying to level up everyone else before the endgame.

I agree with this. I played P3 and P4 years ago with Neogaf's advice "don't worry about it and have fun!" Only to of course end up with all of my slink's at level 8 in both games. So now I'm playing P5 with a spoiler free guide because there's too many games in life for me to ever replay a 100 hour RPG.

I think the way the time management is set up is unnecessarily obtuse. I'd be fine if it were a matter of "plan ahead to succeed", but there's absolutely no way of knowing when the game will allow certain actions or interrupt your planned activities. So no amount of planning will ever succeed, and don't believe any different. I'd much rather I didn't need a guide if the requirements were much more lenient and room for error huge. As it is I really can't figure out what it adds to the game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't hate Goro, I just hate
how atlus once against used "LOOK HOW PSYCHOTIC I AM" as a crutch to give the villian a twist.

It's perfectly possible for him to retain the personality he had before even with the twist. Better even. His cheerful, analytical personality would make a much more effective villain.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't hate him.
I even like his costume and all-out-attack animation and pose. Those really show his characteristics.

I was actually hoping that he somehow survived that and finally join the party for real sometime later. But sadly that never happens. His affinity and spells are also super useful, overpowered even.
Might wanna spoiler that first bit just in case.

I also loved him from a gameplay perspective. I knew something was off when he almost one shotted a mid boss. I kind of really wanted him to be a permanent member, but his death flag started going off really early for me for some reason. I think it was because he was treated so differently in the promo material, in his S-link, and then was revealed to have such unique Thief attire and slightly overpowered abilities. When he turned out to be a guest party member I wasn't surprised, but I was disappointed.

I don't hate Goro, I just hate
how atlus once against used "LOOK HOW PSYCHOTIC I AM" as a crutch to give the villian a twist.

It's perfectly possible for him to retain the personality he had before even with the twist.
I think they went a bit overboard with his psycho side, too, but I don't think it completely overwrote his other personality. We were just seeing the bottled up side of him burst out all at once. You can see that his "persona" (pun intended) wasn't entirely fake when he's defeated and mellows out a bit.

Top Bottom