• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
3 and 4 have the same formula as 5, but 1 and 2 play much more like other SMT games.
Also worth noting that the Mementos equivalent in 3 is a LOT longer... and you're there a lot more.

I wish they gave more lines to the downing enemies (and other repetition) shoutouts. It's nice that
they switches Mona's voice to Futaba after the 4th palace
, but even then it gets old fast after dozens downing enemies several hours later.

"Wow, you're looking coooool, Joker!"

LotusHD

Banned
I wish they gave more lines to the downing enemies (and other repetition) shoutouts. It's nice that
they switches Mona's voice to Futaba after the 4th palace
, but even then it gets old fast after dozens downing enemies several hours later.

Regarding your spoilers:

(Post 4th palace spoilers)

I liked how it helped to portray how useless and insecure Morgana began to feel after Futaba joined the team. Dude doesn't even get to tell me how cool I am anymore, such a shame.

Rozart

That SP regen 3 accessory from the clinic is /incredible/. I can clear dungeons in one run and can just go running about endlessly in the Mementos.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Regarding your spoilers:

I liked how it helped to portray how useless and insecure Morgana began to feel after Futaba joined the team. Dude doesn't even get to tell me how cool I am anymore, such a shame.

Still the best healer though.

And car.

Toki767

I got the Passionate Listener trophy during the 6th Palace boss battle.

I feel like I could actually probably Platinum this game on a NG+ playthrough...but I don't know that I really want to play it again right away.

duckroll

I replaced him with Makoto and well... myself regarding my main party. I dunno, always feels like there's never a good time to bring him in with his wind skills. Like I am the almighty MC, I got it Morgana...

Morgana is super duper useful as a reserve healer imo, because that way I don't have to worry about wasting active SP on healing between battles.

PK Gaming

How do you build your teammates? They get a a lot of good spells later on that I find 8 slots not enough for each of them.

I Guess Ryuji and Yusuke are tank and rogue, while Ann and Morgana are like Mage and healer type roles or something?

For the physical attackers you want something like this:

1) Single-target physical skill
2) Multi-target physical skill
3) Single target magic
4) Multi-target magic
5) Buff
6) Your choice
7) Your choice
8) Evade Weakness

Mages follow a similar template, but with variations based on the character

1) Single-target magic skill
2) Multi-target magic skill
3) Single target healing (Ann) / Multi-target healing (Morgana, Makoto)
4) Buff / Debuff
5) Element Boost
6) Element Break Your choice
7) Your choice
8) Evade Weakness

I replaced him with Makoto and well... myself regarding my main party. I dunno, always feels like there's never a good time to bring him in with his wind skills. Like I am the almighty MC, I got it Morgana...

He learns Mediarama waaaaaaaaaaay earlier than Makoto and Lucky/Miracle Punch is extremely clutch. He's a solid character.

LotusHD

Banned
Morgana is super duper useful as a reserve healer imo, because that way I don't have to worry about wasting active SP on healing between battles.

Yup, that's what I do now. Just unlocked a skill that lets my reserve members slowly restore their SP, so even better.

He learns Mediarama waaaaaaaaaaay earlier than Makoto and Lucky/Miracle Punch is extremely clutch. He's a solid character.

Me and Makoto already know those skills, so yea, I replaced him eventually. Miracle Punch is great though, no doubt about that.

You basically go into mementos when the "Flu Season" warning is up, wait for the reaper to appear, and hope that he's suffering despair. If he isn't, you can just run and wait for him to appear again. Shadows suffering from despair will kill themselves after a few turns and the Reaper gives tonnes of exp (70k+ IIRC).

Is flu season random, or does it come every couple of months? I'm already in like november/early december.

Rozart

Yeah. Currently, my main 'dunegeon-scouring' party consists of Ryuji, Yusuke, and Makoto.

But my main 'boss battle' line-up kicks Ryuji out of the party and he's subsequently replaced with Mediara-gana. That party heal is just too useful.

ffvorax

Just got the fifth member and finished the second "palace" story, really liking it.

I don't hate Morgana, and I feel (and hope) that we have more time now to max stats and links... for now I'm not using any guide, not sure if I will make make it though... :p

How long is the game from where I am? A lot I hope! :)

Toki767

Just got the fifth member and finished the second "palace" story, really liking it.

I don't hate Morgana, and I feel (and hope) that we have more time now to max stats and links... for now I'm not using any guide, not sure if I will make make it though... :p

I'd say like 15-20% done? :p

3) Single target magic
4) Multi-target magic
5) Buff
6) Your choice
7) Your choice
8) Evade Weakness

4) Buff / Debuff
5) Element Boost
6) Element Break
7) Your choice
8) Evade Weakness

The problem I have now is that at end game all of them have cool passive and debuff spells.

Take Haru, she's the Psy user but she's also got a severe gun skill, Party wide debuff removal, AND barrier cast @_@

Also is Break useful? I find that if I run into an element resist I just switch out my teammate the same as I switch out my persona lol

Chaos17

My party was: Morgana
I switched a lot the other party and I build him as healer. I let the other be dmg dealer.

The average playtime of normal playthrough is 100h because of the pacing of the game but for stats I recommend you to focus on them during summer at least because S-link will ask you lvl 4-5 to max them.

Don't you ever look down on Morgana. He's the best magician at endgame alongside Ann.

Regarding your spoilers:

Yeah, he's going downhill post palace 4 and I feel for him the entire summer holiday to September.

ffvorax

The averag playtime of normal playthrough is 100h because of the pacing of the game but for stats I recommend you to focus on them during summer at least because S-link will ask you lvl 4-5 to max them.

Ok thx for the tips, best things to do to max the stats?
I just said I don't check guides but... a little help, why not? XD

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The problem I have now is that at end game all of them have cool passive and debuff spells.

Take Haru, she's the Psy user but she's also got a severe gun skill, Party wide debuff removal, AND barrier cast @_@

Also is Break useful? I find that if I run into an element resist I just switch out my teammate the same as I switch out my persona lol

Haru is also the only party member capable of using Amrita Shower (extremely useful) and Heat Riser--the perfect combination for Yoshitsune's Charge-Hassou Tobi attack from the MC.

Really, in terms of the overall usefulness it seems like it's the guys, except Morgana, if you want to count him as one of the guys, who are lacking behind.

As for Break Skills, I have never encountered a time where they are really required, TBH.

PK Gaming

Yeah Haru's skillset seems incredibly busy at first glance. I'd focus almost entirely on gun skills on her, with some acceptable Psy coverage. I don't think the barrier skills are any useful.

Break is incredibly situational and not that good tbh. But I can't think of much to replace them. I guess you can forego them.

Rozart

I'm only in early September and I've already maxed out my knowledge and charm. And am currently on the 4th rank for everything else. So, you'll definitely have enough time to max out your social stats imo.

Chaos17

Ok thx for the tips, best things to do to max the stats?
I just said I don't check guides but... a little help, why not? XD

- Finish asap a dungeon so you will be able to manage more easely your free time because game will love to stop you in a middle of dungeon like you should've seen in Palace 2.
- When you need to study always go to the dinner because you can gain knowledge+another stat.
- Rent dvd (only after finishing dungeon) + Go to movie theaters: those 2 activities always give you 3 points.
- buy nutriment at flower shop and give it to your plant, help raise kindness without consuming your time.

I suggest you to rank up Temperance when she will be available her perks are usefull early game to give you more free time.

Edit: for other quality of life perks, I advice you check a guide to see what confidents give what you may want. Personally I dislike that in Persona 5, lot of usefull basic stuff are locked behind confidents. I regret to have gone blind in this game because I couldn't maximise my free time and felt frustrated.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah Haru's skillset seems incredibly busy at first glance. I'd focus almost entirely on gun skills on her, with some acceptable Psy coverage. I don't think the barrier skills are any useful.

Break is incredibly situational and not that good tbh. But I can't think of much to replace them. I guess you can forego them.

One-Shot kill, especially paired with Cripple, is a much more powerful version of Miracle Punch basically, and can be a clutch against enemies with no weakness to get criticals.

Yea, I also let go Makarakarn and Tetrakarn, seem very situational.

Zarth

3) Single target magic
4) Multi-target magic
5) Buff
6) Your choice
7) Your choice
8) Evade Weakness

4) Buff / Debuff
5) Element Boost
6) Element Break Your choice
7) Your choice
8) Evade Weakness

I went full Offense with Ann no looking back, no regrets.

Amp and Boost stack so you can make some beefy characters if they get both
She gets Concentration too.

I hadn't gotten the 999 dmg achievement then all the sudden I started popping things for 2500.

Ryuji gets Power Charge making him an ideal Phys attacker.

MC can get cool things like Debilitate and Heat Riser.

Haru is also the only party member capable of using Amrita Shower (extremely useful) and Heat Riser--the perfect combination for Yoshitsune's Charge-Hassou Tobi attack from the MC.

Really, in terms of the overall usefulness it seems like it's the guys, except Morgana, if you want to count him as one of the guys, who are lacking behind.

As for Break Skills, I have never encountered a time where they are really required, TBH.

I actually wanted to build everyone into their respective elemental user, even for characters like Ryuji and get them boost and amp passives , but I Guess that's not ideal?

Against a certain boss who keep targeting my mc, I kept the physical barrier up on him to reflect his punches lol. But it's quite a drain on resources.

So Haru is a physical character as well? Shit, I got rid of her 25% gun skill boost in favour of Psy boost lol

So physical - Ryuji, Yusuke, Haru ?
Then Magical - Ann, Makoto, Morgana ?

Jintor

Also I lucked out with a RPL Phys elephant near the end of the game that I managed to breed a bunch of useful abilities onto, like psi and marakunda for the mass defence debuff

Moonlight

Banned
Fuse Bugs and make sure you get Auto-Matarukaja on everything. That's my number one fusion tip for P5.

edit: also keep Haru's AoE gun skill, it seems weak at first glance vs the other stuff but it and One-shot Kill are nice once you have her two Gun bonus damage skills.

duckroll

Oh yeah I forgot to ask- but do you guys bother with status effects spells on your party members? Like Ann can have high sleep

What do you mean? Using the status attacks? If there are enough slots, I leave them because it can be helpful, otherwise it's not a huge loss since the MC can handle almost anything.

Palace number
______seven________
just done, 86 hours in.

I'm feeling kind of sad because even if I still have some game left to play it feel like I burnt through the game quickly (Which isn't true because 86h in 2 weeks is like 6 hours per day holy shit), I feel a little frustrated knowing I won't be able to max out all of my Confidants, and that the game takes away control from you way too often.

Also, I feel the difficulty is a little broken. For me Normal is too easy for most of the game, with the bosses being a little challenging, and hard is good for random battles but bullshit for bosses. I don't know, I felt SMT4 Apocalypse managed its difficulty better.

But apart from that, stellar game. I'm considering a second playthrough right after so I can get all trophies.

Szadek

I plugged the last few holes in my persona compendium ( up to my current level).
It's at 55% for now before exploring palace 6.

All request are done for now as well.
I also have 250k yen ( before selling my loot), which should be enough for now.
Looks like it's time to get back to the normal world.

ffvorax

- Finish asap a dungeon so you will be able to manage more easely your free time because game will love to stop you in a middle of dungeon like you should've seen in Palace 2.
- When you need to study always go to the dinner because you can gain knowledge+another stat.
- Rent dvd (only after finishing dungeon) + Go to movie theaters: those 2 activities always give you 3 points.
- buy nutriment at flower shop and give it to your plant, help raise kindness without consumer your time.

I suggest you to rank up Temperance when she will be available her perks are usefull early game to give you more free time.

Edit: for other quality of life perks, I advice you check a guide to see what confidents give what you may want. Personally I dislike that in Persona 5, lot of usefull basic stuff are locked behind confidents. I regret to have gone blind in this game because I couldn't maximise my free time and felt frustrated.

I didn't knew I had a plant! :O

So I can finish a palace asap and then do everything else? For know I was doing the palace in 3 days, 1 for everything until the force stop, 2 for reaching the end, 3 for the calling card, but I was waiting the last day available to send the calling card because I feared that the game would skip to the last day if I finished the palace early. :p

Yes... if they would ever actually learn them. So far I think only Ann has a sleep skill.

EDIT: And the attack debuff one.

I could have sworn there were more lol

What do you mean? Using the status attacks? If there are enough slots, I leave them because it can be helpful, otherwise it's not a huge loss since the MC can handle almost anything.

Stuff that cause sleep, fear, charm etc.

I've been ignoring them all game but I'm starting to wonder if they're actually Super useful

nOoblet16

I actually wanted to build everyone into their respective elemental user, even for characters like Ryuji and get them boost and amp passives , but I Guess that's not ideal?

Against a certain boss who keep targeting my mc, I kept the physical barrier up on him to reflect his punches lol. But it's quite a drain on resources.

So Haru is a physical character as well? Shit, I got rid of her 25% gun skill boost in favour of Psy boost lol

So physical - Ryuji, Yusuke, Haru ?
Then Magical - Ann, Makoto, Morgana ?

Haru is the only one in the team aside from the MC who has both great magic and great physical damage.

You are better off building Personas that can repel physicals/magic than use Haru's barrier abilities. The gun and Psy passive boosts are too damn important to not be prioritised over barriers. As soon as I was running out of space in the skill tree the barrier and the curing spell were the first ones to go. I also got rid of the gun AoE in favour of the all stat buff ability.

This is how most of my single enemy fights at the end of game went:
-MC would raise attack for all
-Makoto raises defense for all
-Ryuji goes into charge
-Haru further buffs Ryuji to make it Attack 2x

*Enemy turn*

-MC reduces enemy defense
-Makoto does a nuclear attack or just guards (her attack consume lots of SP)
-Haru uses One shot Kill
-Ryuji uses God's hand for laughably huge damage

Chaos17

Oh yeah I forgot to ask- but do you guys bother with status effects spells on your party members? Like Ann can have high sleep

It's my hero who have the statuts spells since the other party members have so little place. In tokyo mirage (persona like game made my Atlus) the passive are not with the active
skills. But yeah always keep statut spells too much enemies don't have weakness.

I didn't knew I had a plant! :O

So I can finish a palace asap and then do everything else? For know I was doing the palace in 3 days, 1 for everything until the force stop, 2 for reaching the end, 3 for the calling card, but I was waiting the last day available to send the calling card because I feared that the game would skip to the last day if I finished the palace early. :p
Yup and even your teamates will spam you as long as you don't finish it, lol
So yeah, you keep your remaining free days when you finish a palace (by sending calling card).

I use morgana as an out of battle healer so that I dont waste sp of my main party. Sorry morgana. I think your second persona is cool though.

I am looking at some promotional materials leading up to release. There is this one with Arsene casting a huge fire spell. Did that effect even make it into the game? I know Agidyne did not look like that at all.

Also, I was surprised when I realized Arsene was Curse type (which actually makes sense). Speculations were that he is fire type due to the screenshot released which didn't make sense when Carmen was also fire type.

vkrili

In my opinion, you can skip out on single targeting magical damage later in the game and replace it with support stuff. The "Evade X" skills are also rather expendable.

Top Bottom