• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

duckroll

Stuff that cause sleep, fear, charm etc.

I've been ignoring them all game but I'm starting to wonder if they're actually Super useful

I'm way earlier than you are and I've found them all super useful, so yeah. For example, in the third Palace Oni is an annoying piece of shit since he has no weaknesses and is strong against physical attacks. So if he appears with other enemies, I target their weaknesses, then if I have no status attack on that Persona for the MC, I baton pass to Ann to put him to sleep. It works every time. Then after he misses his turn I score a technical attack on him with the next character.

Even better if you can use a Marin Karin or whatever on him, which doesn't wear off when attacked. You can basically take entire enemies out of play this way.

nOoblet16

In my opinion, you can skip out on single targeting magical damage later in the game and replace it with support stuff. The "Evade X" skills are also rather expendable.
For some characters the Multi target magic skills don't get severe versions as far as I can remember. Makoto multi target nuclear only goes up to "heavy" while her single target spell goes up to "severe". Though "severe" nuclear is a huge SP hog and Makoto is the first one to run out of SP as it is even without using it, so I don't use it all that much unless it's a big fight.

For other characters I kept the single target skill just because it consumed less SP. Ann gets both multi and single target severe fire damage, and I'd rather use single target damage just because it consumes less SP. If there is a group of enemy with fire weakness then I just use MC to down them using a low-mid level persona, with light AoE versions of all elemental magic, that I keep just for this purpose.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I actually wanted to build everyone into their respective elemental user, even for characters like Ryuji and get them boost and amp passives , but I Guess that's not ideal?

Against a certain boss who keep targeting my mc, I kept the physical barrier up on him to reflect his punches lol. But it's quite a drain on resources.

So Haru is a physical character as well? Shit, I got rid of her 25% gun skill boost in favour of Psy boost lol

So physical - Ryuji, Yusuke, Haru ?
Then Magical - Ann, Makoto, Morgana ?

Haru and Makoto are not really what I consider "Physical" or "Magical", since they really have balanced stat, although Haru is somewhat tilted to Strength, yes, and Makoto has the largest SP pool in the group.

Keeping the Amp skills on every character is fine, it's the Break skills that I think you can safely just discard. Also, Makarakarn and Tetrakarn are not really needed, especially since the MC can basically nulls whatever attacks directed at him (except Almighty), and their slots can be used for what I think are better skills like Fast Heal or Boost/Amp skills.

IMO for me Psy Amp and Cripple are very nice to have for Haru. One-Shot Kill can be very useful because it has a high critical rate, a much powerful version of Miracle Punch, perfect for dudes that don't have weaknesses to down them.

Fir some characters the Multi target magic skills don't get severe versions as far as I can remember. Makoto multi target nuclear only goes up to "heavy" while her single target spell goes up to "severe". Though "severe" nuclear is a huge SP hog and Makoto is the first one to run out of SP as it is even without using it, so I don't use it all that much unless it's a big fight.

The only one that got a severe multi-target spells is Ann. I would recommend anyone using Makoto to just keep Freidyne instead of "upgrading" it to Atomic Flare. Not only the latter's cost is astronomical, the damage upgrade compared to Freidyne is not really noticeable, and Makoto's SP is much better used for stuff like Mediarahan, Energy Shower, or Marakujaja.

Chaos17

I want Altus to keep operator like Futaba who really frikking support you in combat! \o/
And Ann just kick ass with her concentrate in final dungeon.

nOoblet16

Haru and Makoto are not really what I consider "Physical" or "Magical", since they really have balanced stat, although Haru is somewhat tilted to Strength, yes, and Makoto has the largest SP pool in the group.

Keeping the Amp skills on every character is fine, it's the Break skills that I think you can safely just discard. Also, Makarakarn and Tetrakarn are not really needed, especially since the MC can basically nulls whatever attacks directed at him (except Almighty), and their slots can be used for what I think are better skills like Fast Heal or Boost/Amp skills.

IMO for me Psy Amp and Cripple are very nice to have for Haru. One-Shot Kill can be very useful because it has a high critical rate, a much powerful version of Miracle Punch, perfect for dudes that don't have weaknesses to down them.

The only one that got a severe multi-target spells is Ann. I would recommend anyone using Makoto to just keep Freidyne instead of "upgrading" it to Atomic Flare. Not only the latter's cost is astronomical, the damage upgrade compared to Freidyne is not really noticeable, and Makoto's SP is much better used for stuff like Mediarahan, Energy Shower, or Marakujaja.
Yea I agree, 44SP for one attack is too much. SP is precious for Makoto as despite having the largest SP pool she will run out of it faster than anyone else. I still keep it though just for the off chance that I have to clutch a fight.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yea I agree, 44SP for one attack is too much. SP is precious for Makoto as despite having the largest SP pool she will run out of it faster than anyone else. I still keep it though just for the off chance that I have to clutch a fight.

Eh, I would advise not to keep it and just use Freidyne, to be honest. The cost/usefulness ratio for Atomic Flare is not very good, IMO. Just stick with Freidyne.

Aside from Makoto's Atomic Flare, the only member that got a Severe version of their spells is Ann with Blazing Hell that replaced Maragidyne. Probably okay to keep it, since Agidyne is still her highest single-target offensive spell and you can use it for bosses.

Really, the severe versions of spells look fancy but utility wise they don't really seem that much more useful than the heavy version--heck, I would even call them detrimental due to SP cost. Unless you have Spell Master that cuts SP use by 50% (get it from Kohryu), they're just not worth it IMO.

FFS, my PS4 went into rest mode (bug) while playing this and I didn't even save. Is there an auto save feature, like after a important sequence?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh interesting, so
Futaba
isnt a regular party member? Says
"navi" on her and I cant use her.

RalchAC

I'm way earlier than you are and I've found them all super useful, so yeah. For example, in the third Palace Oni is an annoying piece of shit since he has no weaknesses and is strong against physical attacks. So if he appears with other enemies, I target their weaknesses, then if I have no status attack on that Persona for the MC, I baton pass to Ann to put him to sleep. It works every time. Then after he misses his turn I score a technical attack on him with the next character.

Even better if you can use a Marin Karin or whatever on him, which doesn't wear off when attacked. You can basically take entire enemies out of play this way.

My biggest problem is that the game has such a big amount of skills that are actually useful that I can't carry more than 2 stats aliments at a time. I mostly use Confuse, which I've been carrying between Personas since the second dungeon, and a second one at random.

Confuse is really good though.

Oh interesting, so
Futaba
isnt a regular party member? Says
"navi" on her and I cant use her.

Nope. She is a support character. Gives you tips during battles, have various passive effects and every once in a while she'll buff your party, heal you or restore some SP.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah about spellmaster, is there no card for it? No persona I can fry to get it?

No, there's no skill card for Spellmaster.

You have to either inherit it from or sacrifice the following Personas if you want the spread it out:

Ishtar (89), Kohryu (82), Lucifer (95), Mada (91), Uriel (86)

Sigh. Looks like I'll have to buy a new PS4, but the slim model obviously. I've had this happen before and I thought I fixed it be rebuilding database, but then it stated again.

I also had the disc eject button issue too. I fixed that by removing the eject button. :)

TheBear

I'm upto 5/19 and after entering the palace it's nighttime and the stupid cat wants me to go to sleep, but the network shows people doing a bunch of things. Have I missed something?

Chaos17

You missed big time. One of me favorite characters and confidants.

You should be ashamed.

The gameover thing is once per battle right?

I had her rank 9 /sob
Roomate is doing last boss and Futaba saved him twice, one time in each form that so cool.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm upto 5/19 and after entering the palace it's nighttime and the stupid cat wants me to go to sleep, but the network shows people doing a bunch of things. Have I missed something?

Temper level 10 perk, they're getting a Massage that let them free-roam after going to Palace/Mementos.

nOoblet16

Strength max rank is way more clutch because then you can get op personas without having to grind. :p
It's not really "clutch" if you are overpowering your opponent's to begin with. Futaba's rank 20 can literally turn a battle you've lost to a battle you win that's why it's clutch.

Anyhow for strength rank 10 you still have to grind for money though because it's extremely expensive to fuse high level Persona. I wanted to fuse something 15-20 levels above and it was going to cost me like 250,000. Then if you want to fuse it with another high level persona you gotta account for the cost it requires to fuse them plus the cost for fusing the final persona. So you are looking at like 500,000 to 600,000. Money is easy to come across in this game but to stock up that much money you would need to grind.

You missed big time. One of me favorite characters and confidants.

You should be ashamed.

The gameover thing is once per battle right?

I'm not sure about the limit per battle thing but I'm pretty sure that it happened a lot. Like it's always triggering everytime someone is definitely going to die.

With the Phantom Thieves' Endure skill and Futaba's Final Guard, I never saw anyone died anymore. It's either they're left with 1 HP or blocked by Futaba.

nOoblet16

They didn't go to the palace the same day as you, when you go to a palace you can't do anything that evening unless you rank up temper to rank 10 and get a massage, which will take some time to obtain.

Temper level 10 perk, they're getting a Massage that let them free-roam after going to Palace/Mementos.
May is too early for Temper rank 10, unless people are in NG+

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Got through the 6th palace and am popping rank 10 confidants left and right now, feels good.

Even got Strength finished, and holy shit that ability is nuts. Does seem pricey though.

Elephant

Neo Member
I checked after it seemed to be taking forever and everything I found says it isn't locked until rank 5.

So here I am, in an endless limbo of making coffee.

Get a Hiero persona equipped and choose to help him out instead of making coffee, unless you desperately need those SP supplies!

Maybe it has been discussed already but, what do you guys think about the OST?
I love the game but I don't really like the OST as much as Persona 3 or 4, I'm a bit disapointted to be honest... Well I'm only 15h in but none of the music really stuck in my head like Mass Destruction or Reach out to the Truth

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The money in these later mementos is real, no need for any confusion tricks lol

nOoblet16

I love the game but I don't really like the OST as much as Persona 3 or 4, I'm a bit disapointted to be honest... Well I'm only 15h in but none of the music really stuck in my head like Mass Destruction or Reach out to the Truth
I love the ost, except for palace 5. I do not like Persona 4's Jpop inspired OST (and I hate the track that plays whenever some key story moment happens during conversations) but the acid jazz inspired tracks here are dope as fuck.

The soundtracks are a lot more ambient here than in your face, prime example is the track that plays while your roam the town in Persona 4 Vs Persona 5.

Jintor

It's a different thing I feel, it's so much more low key.

I've been listening to it again and it might build just because I listen to it a lot outside of the game.

Stuff like the night theme is really dope into my head now... like there's a lot of songs that are dope, but they're low-key dope instead of hype dope like p4 and to some extent p3.

I think it is as good as P3 or P4's, more like ambient music and less catchy tunes.

I love "Life Will Change" because you know shit is about to go down and "Blooming Villain".

Mendrox

Soundtrack is amazing. The later half of the game has imo the best tracks. Persona 4 sounds childish (which isn't bad) in comparison to me now o_o

Jintor

i mean they're still both very adolescent imho, just different ends of the cafeteria lol.

the engrish is a lot better in p5 though. I wonder if Ben Franklin worked on this lot as well, it's a lot more comprehensible suddenly.

Complete 180 for me. Had the exact same feeling before. Did not like the OST before the game was released. After finishing the game, I have been listening to the soundtrack each day since. Dungeon music is so much better than the repeating stuff in p3 and p4 (except for heaven of course). Listening to the soundtrack makes me feel damn awesome while walking around the city and riding trains in real life. I think you are still too early in the game to really get attached to the music.

nOoblet16

i mean they're still both very adolescent imho, just different ends of the cafeteria lol.

the engrish is a lot better in p5 though. I wonder if Ben Franklin worked on this lot as well, it's a lot more comprehensible suddenly.
Persona 5's track is not. Most of it is jazz which is anything but adolescent. Persona 4 is obviously JPop, so depending on what you think of JPop you can think it's adolescent or not, but I don't know anyone who thinks jazz is childish.

The lyrics were written by Germans, so it's more like Denglish rather than Engrish and it was sung by a Korean and she has done a decent job as it's finr outside of a few words/phrases every now and then that sounded odd due to her accent.

Rhaknar

64 hours in I find out you can press left and right in the hold up part to select different persona...

;_;

Jintor

jazz is to me fundamentally experimental, and experimentation is a key part of adolescence to my mind. Adolescent doesn't mean bad.

nOoblet16

it's the notes you don't play
It's a reach to say jazz is adolescent due to being experimental considering its origin.

I describe adolescent music as something that can be used in an TV programme geared for kids and adolescents and not feel out of place. JPop is just that.

It's the complete opposite for me. Persona 5 has better ost all around. While I only liked like 3-4 tracks from Persona 4.

Jintor

I'm not saying all of jazz is adolescent, dude. I'm saying p5's jazz ost, in its funky fresh jazzy experimental beats, compliments the very shonen adolescent themes of p5 but in a different way that p4's jpop-jrock cheerful sparkytimes complimented p4's similarly adolescent aesthetic.

it's the coffeehouse hipsters vs the cheerleading dance crew while p3 ost mopes in the corner. lol

(It's also really dope how Last Surprise is basically trashtalking whoever you're trying to beat up)

I describe adolescent music as something that can be used in an TV programme geared for kids and adolescents and not feel out of place. JPop is just that.

That seems like a really limiting view of adolescence... it's not my favourite anime, but something like Kids on the Slope used jazz in a really effective way to explore growing up and trying to find yourself, themes that resonate well.

Top Bottom