• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Platypus

Really no reason to bother playing then IMO. The story and characters are the strength and you'll get little out of it by just play for a bit since it sounds like even the 10-15 hours to get past the first dungeon isn't appealing to you. Sounds like your copy is still sealed, I'd suggest returning it.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that there's no value in playing. The game follows kind of an episodic structure where each dungeon has its own central conflict with tenuous ties to the overall narrative. You can absolutely can invested in these smaller episodic stories without being there for the long haul.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't necessarily agree that there's no value in playing. The game follows kind of an episodic structure where each dungeon has its own central conflict with tenuous ties to the overall narrative. You can absolutely can invested in these smaller episodic stories without being there for the long haul.

Of course. And note that I said that they posted disdain at it being 10-15 hours to get through the first dungeon. So I was saying no reason top play for sure IMO if you aren't willing to at least get that far.

I still don't see the point, but to each their own on that. But it would be very unfulfilling to start it up and not at least play through the first dungeon and the remaining days after to see that initial episodes story through.

That's a tactless thing to say. Just because
Kamoshida
is the bigger asshole doesn't mean
Madarame
wasn't despicable.
it was still largely less interesting. Dungeon 1-2 spoilers

Kamoshida besides being an obvious piece of shit, also had a lot of time to build up animosity towards your characters. He made an extremely compelling villain. Madarame however has very little interaction, and how horrible he is is quite hidden. The biggest reveal of how horrible he is comes way too late to make him very compelling. Add in that I fucking hated Yusuke and it made the second dungeon easily the weakest part of the game.

Jintor

Finally started playing this after finishing Zelda. Beat the first dungeon and onto the next; the plot point its working off is really weak compared to the first one so far, and the game seems to be trying to play it off as if its as big of a deal as the first. Kind of shitty, hope it picks up again and they didn't blow their entire load on the first month.

Also what the hell at our group of phantom thieves actually meeting and discussing changing hearts with random people IRL. :lol: No wonder we got caught!

Boss 1 is definitely prime grade a asshole and the game really does its best effort at showing why exactly you need to jack him up, but I think if you connect with Yusuke more (and the further into the dungeon you get) the more Boss 2's fuckups feel strong.

I legit wanted to strangle him when his shadow said what he had done, or rather not done, for Yusuke's mum

ffvorax

I agree that the revelation about the second boss comes too late, pratically at the end... but it was so big that I felt so much that boss battle! (I also had to grind 1 more level out of my chars to win it...)

Loving the music.

9/17

Someone please tell me that I get the option to punch Ryuji in the mouth later on? How can you put such an asshole character in the game and not have an option to shut them up. UGH!

Pachimari

Really no reason to bother playing then IMO. The story and characters are the strength and you'll get little out of it by just play for a bit since it sounds like even the 10-15 hours to get past the first dungeon isn't appealing to you. Sounds like your copy is still sealed, I'd suggest returning it.

I can't return it, so I better just play it. And I think it's subjective if it'll be worth it or not. I played P4G for 10-15 hours and thought it was worth it. I rarely ever complete games but that's not the purpose for me anyway. I can get a lot out of 10-15 hours. And who knows, maybe I'll even stick around till the end when I get going.

ramyeon

wouldn't help anyway since having no party members nerfs the shit out of all out attack and baton toss...
Yep it's honestly bullshit, level check boss in a social link. I probably should have saved before hand but I had no idea a social link boss would be the hardest fight so far in the game. All the YouTube videos of people fighting it I could find they were much higher level than me too so that doesn't help.

LiK

I can't return it, so I better just play it. And I think it's subjective if it'll be worth it or not. I played P4G for 10-15 hours and thought it was worth it. I rarely ever complete games but that's not the purpose for me anyway. I can get a lot out of 10-15 hours. And who knows, maybe I'll even stick around till the end when I get going.

Go play it now. You need to witness how slick and stylish it is.

Jintor

being able to crap on Ryuuji in that bros-give-each-other-shit-all-the-time way is pretty funny.

i really do hope they walk straight past the Best Friend Bro archetype though next time (though Junpei straight up resented you for like 6 months of P3, from memory)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough. The beginning/tutorial stuff isn't quite as slow and tedious as P4G, so if you had fun playing only 10-15 hours there you should be good here too. P5 got me engaged pretty early on, where as I nearly quit P4G during the first 10 hours (glad I didn't as I ended up loving it).

Platypus

If enjoyed P4G, you'll likely enjoy this game as well.

tumblr_oofi1a3TPr1wn6hn2o1_540.png

No wonder she can effortlessly swing an axe around.

Chorazin

Everyone should MAX the Sun Confidant, he'd just a good character and it made me feel good to help him. Plus that MAX level bonus is real nice!

Jintor

i love love love that haru's conception of a phantom thief is elegance and grace and... a giant battle axe and a replica grenade launcher.

the game really handicaps itself by a) introducing characters late and b) when it introduces them not giving them baton pass to start with so using them in the dungeon they're actually emotionally relevant in is deliberately nerfing yourself

I liked what they did with (Nov spoils)
Goro where they just hid all his upgrades and when they force rank you to level 5 he just pops all of them at once. It'd be an interesting further subversion if previously 'outside party' s-links could become party slinks.

Lol, the MC takes all his dates to the same place (
the Ferris wheel
), what an asshole. I'm there with
Hifumi
right now and I was there with
Chihaya
the day before. And I'm romancing them both of course.

Zafir

Lol, the MC takes all his dates to the same place (
the Ferris wheel
), what an asshole. I'm there with
Hifumi
right now and I was there with
Chihaya
the day before. And I'm romancing them both of course.

Yeah I've been going for everyone on my second playthrough since I really wanted to see the valentines scene, and I've seen Ann's and Makoto's dates there.

MC has no shame, lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait WHHAAAAAAT

yup. like, when theres different ones I always went "damn it, I already have that one, I wanted the other one" until I finally decided to try and choose the one I wanted lol >_<

also, 9/13:

Morgana
is being a total psycho and you guys are putting it all on
Ryuji
? I shake my head at all of you
Ryuji
haters.

Jintor

also tae mostly being more doctor than punk kinda blew

i know it's important tae but don't you want to talk about jmetal with me

i got these tickets to tokyo metrock

If you played 10-15 hours of P4 and thought it was worth it, there's no reason to think you won't feel the same about this.

Mendrox

Dungeon with prelude and boss fight always takes about 8 hours for an arc. The game really starts after the second/third dungeon, but then really kicks off and you won't think about anything else. Well except for if you are impatient (too much text for many people) or just don't like (gotta say it after finishing it) the really clever story.

But I will never understand someone starting a game and not even experiencing the whole game or even anything after the prologue. Even P4G only starts to get really good after your mentioned play time. Why even bother with wasting life time and not even seeing the main story.... such a waste. There are better games with explicit more gameplay in these hours for that. Buuuut it's your thing and you also don't have to rush the game (which I recommend shouldn't be done at all, kills the game a bit in this case)

ramyeon

Holy shit, I beat it.

Took like 15 tries but still.

Basically was a gamble in that I needed Futaba to cast Atk/Def/Ev up but sometimes she did nothing at all before I died in 3 turns. Finally got her to cast it and had enough luck to dodge one of his attacks and let me win with a sliver of health left.

Basically did Agilao followed by Freila each time to do enough damage to take him out.

Ridiculous.

daveo42

Banned
I wish there was a way to ambush enemies in the lowest levels of Mementos without instantly killing them. I've made it to
section 7
and half the time end up insta-killing them instead of going into combat.

I don't need the levels and I don't need to recruit any more persona, just gimme your sweet sweet yen.

Wait WHHAAAAAAT

Yeah, it took me some time to figure that out as well. Before I was planning out how to down demons in specific order to interrogate the one I needed to recruit. Realizing you could shift between them made extortion so much better too.

asagami_

Banned
I have already Knowledge Level 4 at early July
and started Makoto Confidant ASAP yeah
. I should be fine to max the stat just with the regular questions in school, right?

The Ryuji vs Morgana thing is great. I love how they butt heads.

People seem to single out one or the other but they fight with each other the whole game and both asses to each other but are still friends in the end. I appreciate that their is a bit of conflict in the group and not everyone is always best of buds.

Jintor

By the way the baton and the technical system are dope.

Making statuses useful beyond their effect or trying to figure whether to pop them for the extra damage or leave them for their effects was great.

I also like that combat is focused around wiping all out in one go, so to speak

Thud

People seem to single out one or the other but they fight with each other the whole game and both asses to each other but are still friends in the end. I appreciate that their is a bit of conflict in the group and not everyone is always best of buds.

Fox's name basically became Inari after Futaba joins lol.

LiK

Making statuses useful beyond their effect or trying to figure whether to pop them for the extra damage or leave them for their effects was great.

The baton thing reminded me of a manual version of the Sessions mechanic in TMS. Wombo combo your way to victory.

Dragner

I have already Knowledge Level 4 at early July
and started Makoto Confidant ASAP yeah
. I should be fine to max the stat just with the regular questions in school, right?

Yeah, I was like you and maxed it in october but I studied a bit here and there and also got bonuses from the star confidant and finishing the super burguer.

Yea it's not as flashy as TMS wombo combo system, but it's still a super satisfying mechanic.
The 5th boss fight is so awesome because of it aswell.

Top Bottom