• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Griss

I'm halfway through the 5th dungeon at the start of October. Can anyone indicate how far I am? Game is definitely starting to drag on.

Also surprised that people side with (Sept spoilers)
Morgana over Ryuji. Morgana was a cunt to him from the start for no reason whatsoever and always projected an inflated sense of self worth despite knowing basically fuck all - and yeah it was probably out of insecurity, sure, but it was grating. Loved seeing Ryuji call him out. Ryuji's only crime is that he's dumber than a box of rocks.

Kain

The Ryuji vs Morgana thing started as a friendly name calling thing and degraded into Ryuji calling him useless at every turn. Again,fuck Ryuji

The group dynamics are not so good as in 4 so far, I see them at the same level as in 3 for now. 4 had a really, really strong group of people that you could easily care about.

LiK

I'm halfway through the 5th dungeon at the start of October. Can anyone indicate how far I am? Game is definitely starting to drag on.

Also surprised that people side with (Sept spoilers)
Morgana over Ryuji. Morgana was a cunt to him from the start for no reason whatsoever and always projected an inflated sense of self worth despite knowing basically fuck all - and yeah it was probably out of insecurity, sure, but it was grating. Loved seeing Ryuji call him out. Ryuji's only crime is that he's dumber than a box of rocks.

There's a lot more game. I don't wanna give specifics.
Halfway

Ponn

Banned
People seem to single out one or the other but they fight with each other the whole game and both asses to each other but are still friends in the end. I appreciate that their is a bit of conflict in the group and not everyone is always best of buds.

The difference is everything Morgana says about Ryuiji is absolutely true.

Dark_castle

it was still largely less interesting. Dungeon 1-2 spoilers

Kamoshida besides being an obvious piece of shit, also had a lot of time to build up animosity towards your characters. He made an extremely compelling villain. Madarame however has very little interaction, and how horrible he is is quite hidden. The biggest reveal of how horrible he is comes way too late to make him very compelling. Add in that I fucking hated Yusuke and it made the second dungeon easily the weakest part of the game.

You hate Yusuke huh. Guess we will never be friends.

Also for what it's worth, I think the first palace boss is meant to be a bigger deal than the subsequent because
Kamoshida
was the driving force for MC, Ryuji and Ann to be phantom thieves. That's three of the main cast including MC himself. The subsequent palace bosses are for other individual characters, which is why first boss gets a lot more development and screen time.

By the way the baton and the technical system are dope.

Making statuses useful beyond their effect or trying to figure whether to pop them for the extra damage or leave them for their effects was great.

I also like that combat is focused around wiping all out in one go, so to speak

I really like Baton Pass and the fact that status effects are useful in this game for more than just a handful of battles.

4th dungeon enemy spoilers:
For example I saw a lot of people were having trouble with Anubis, but I would Headbutt him with Ryuji and get Forget on him which basically neutered him long enough for me to get rid of him.

I'm normally nothing but Elemental attacks on weaknesses in SMT games but I'm slowly loading up my MC's Personas with more status effect conditions now.

asagami_

Banned
We're at the same point in the game and I felt similar yet different. Hearing that I'm halfway through sucks because I don't want the game to end!

I have 50 hours and I guess I just completed 1/3 the game. P3 FES and 4 were 80 hours games for me, but I think P5 will surpass 100 hours. Dungeon exploration is sooo good.

The
Ryuji vs Morgana
thing started as a friendly name calling thing and degraded into
Ryuji calling him useless
at every turn. Again,fuck Ryuji

The group dynamics are not so good as in 4 so far, I see them at the same level as in 3 for now. 4 had a really, really strong group of people that you could easily care about.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel as well. Besides Ryuji and Ann, other characters are fun to interact with, but the whole group is not as likable as the cast in Persona 4. Ryuji in particular is extremely annoying.

R0ckman

I think Goro ended up being my favorite character in the game.
Most people seem to hate him, but I found him really relatable in a very dark, very human way. His attention seeking behavior and strong desire to be accepted even if he thinks people are garbage is deporable, but as someone who lost 100+ lbs. between high school and college and was suddenly treated like a completely different person, I could sort of tangentially see where he was coming from. He was shunned and accepted and then shunned again at the drop of a hat, and hated people for their shallowness. Then he met someone who was happy with being rejected, and didn't lash out or even feel a need to lash out at being an outcast. His line about the protagonist being happy living in an attic, and how that so deeply pissed him off, was really powerful. It was like the MC completely removed his justification for being the way he was and shattered his worldview entirely. Seeing the Thieves and how close they were with each other and how content they were with their lives, which were more mundane and even terrible compared to his star detective persona, made him realize how empty his revenge quest had been, but he couldn't bring himself to accept that and change. It made it hit even closer to home that the same person that ruined his life is the one who ruined the protagonist's.

His struggle after his defeat is amazing. You can feel him wanting to be a part of the Thieves, but he's just too stubborn and wrapped up in his hate to admit it to them, or to himself. And then before he has a chance to act, he dies. He's a very organically written tragic character, even if his choices make him deserving of his fate in the end. I genuinely felt bad for him, and empathized with him, but I still wanted to see him brought to justice.

Making him "psycho" ruined all of this. I agree with another GAFFER who said it felt forced on him. His final moments were very awkward because of it.

mrmickfran

The Ryuji vs Morgana thing started as a friendly name calling thing and degraded into Ryuji calling him useless at every turn. Again,fuck Ryuji

I think you're underselling it by saying it's on the same level as 3.

In 3 they were barely friends.

Still pretty early, but Palace 5 is not fun so far. Probably my least favourite.

I want to make sure I can finish all of my Confidants, can anyone tell me if you need to max Knowledge for anything?

11/4
Based on what the game just told me, I'm probably not going to be able to max the Sun Confidant.
Can somebody spoil for me what's the deadline for most Confidants? I don't need the exact date for each one but just a vague idea of when that part of the game actually ends.
In P3 and 4, it was around
December / January
but I don't know if it's the same here and I'm starting to panic, especially in regards to
Haru
!

Dark_castle

Overall so far in palace 5, I also prefer the main cast of P4, but by far I prefer P5's MC over P4. The dialogue options I think are more varied with frequent snarky/humorous responses which I dig, and it also fits the joker personality. Whereas P4's MC dialogue choices are usually fairly vanilla.

LiK

5th Palace wasn't too bad overall. 6th Palace bored me with some of the really drab areas. They had so much to work with but we ended up
running around in those boring ass backrooms for most of it.

mrmickfran

True, Junpei and Ken were dicks and the last member was a dog. Thank heavens for Akibro and Mitsuru.
What really drove it home was the fact that you didn't get a social link with half of the party. Made you feel really distant from the rest of the party.

Thank goodness P4 fixed that.

Nioret

Probably the only one whose favorite Palace is 5. yeah, it's the longest one but each section is brand new and the game gives you LOADS of hints that this palace is really long so dont try to do it all at once k no seriously

plus that boss battle is so fun to rush through

11/4
Based on what the game just told me, I'm probably not going to be able to max the Sun Confidant.
Can somebody spoil for me what's the deadline for most Confidants? I don't need the exact date for each one but just a vague idea of when that part of the game actually ends.
In P3 and 4, it was around
December / January
but I don't know if it's the same here and I'm starting to panic, especially in regards to
Haru
!

Your deadline for Sun is the deadline of the seventh palace, mid/late November. Your deadline for everyone else is late December. You will have obvious countdowns for these deadlines, like all other palaces. One other thing: if you haven't gotten Temperance up to Rank 8 and accepted the request, and you want to max that confidant, do so before the deadline of the seventh palace; there's a soft deadline there that the game does NOT tell you about.

5th Palace wasn't too bad overall. 6th Palace bored me with some of the really drab areas. They had so much to work with but we ended up
running around in those boring ass backrooms for most of it.
Yeah I liked it, but they really dropped the ball with the setting.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What really drove it home was the fact that you didn't get a social link with half of the party. Made you feel really distant from the rest of the party.

Thank goodness P4 fixed that.

Not being friends isn't a flaw.

You don't have to make everyone be besties to create an interesting group dynamic.

Your deadline for Sun is the deadline of the seventh palace, mid/late November. Your deadline for everyone else is late December. You will have obvious countdowns for these deadlines, like all other palaces. One other thing: if you haven't gotten Temperance up to Rank 8 and accepted the request, and you want to max that confidant, do so before the deadline of the seventh palace; there's a soft deadline there that the game does NOT tell you about.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the answer.
Yeah, Sun will be for NG+ I think but I already have rank 10 for Temperance so I'm good there at least.

Curufinwe

I am up to early June now and I have a huge amount of SP restoring items stockpiled. It must be close to 600 worth of SP.

I read there was some SP restoring items you can buy, but I don't think I'll need them.

vypek

Is it better to go for max confidents in NG+ since Social stats carry over?

Curious about this too. I'm thinking NG+ will make certain stuff easier. I got the the point of the first dungeon where I was forced to back out and worried I won't be able to clear others in one day and won't have the time to actually do all the links.

Or do you not need to get all confidants in one run?

Opa-Pa

Hold on a sec, I remember being pretty pissed that Atlus USA spoiled a seemingly important date in the game, but I'm way past that already and I didn't notice or remember what happened at all. I'm in the 6th palace already, can anybody tell me what changed or happened to the story in
7/7
?

LiK

Hold on a sec, I remember being pretty pissed that Atlus USA spoiled a seemingly important date in the game, but I'm way past that already and I didn't notice or remember what happened at all. I'm in the 6th palace already, can anybody tell me what changed or happened to the story in
7/7
?

Turns out the date meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Just an arbitrary cut off date for streamers. Another reason why that streaming rule is so stupid. Guess it was easier than telling people how many hours they should stop at.

Lunar15

7/7
?

They probably said that date so that it wouldn't spoil anything specific. But shortly after that is when
Futaba's story starts to heat up.

However, it's stupid and arbitrary, since there's plenty of stuff to spoil well before that.

Jake2by4

If you aren't using a guide you won't max all confidants on a first run through.
NG+ it is
Curious about this too. I'm thinking NG+ will make certain stuff easier. I got the the point of the first dungeon where I was forced to back out and worried I won't be able to clear others in one day and won't have the time to actually do all the links.

Or do you not need to get all confidants in one run?

Social stats carry over and Confidents don't. It seems there some confidents I can't do because my SS are not high enough. In NG+ It seems i won't have to worry about my SS much, so I can put more focus on the confidents

Opa-Pa

Oh wow, I can't decide if that's stupid or a good thing. I gave them a lot of shit thinking they had spoiiled some major event to me so I was kinda paranoid for a good portion of the beginning hours until I forgot, but restricting streaming so hard is still very silly.

Oh wow, I can't decide if that's stupid or a good thing. I gave them a lot of shit thinking they had spoiiled some major event to me so I was kinda paranoid for a good portion of the beginning hours until I forgot, but restricting streaming so hard is still very silly.

I think the decision to restrict streaming is not great, though I do get where Atlus is coming from (and would be okay if there was a limited-time embargo that disappeared after a month or two, and if they allowed screenshots). In terms of how they restricted streaming, by using an arbitrary in-game date, I think they made the best choice. It's the option that spoils the least.

Top Bottom