• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

PInk Tape

Banned
8/29 (I'm way past this point but I just wanted to mention this)

I'm in love with the fact that Yusuke just casually buys a couple of lobsters, carries both of them with his hands, and compares seeing them to how he felt seeing Ann for the first time.

SephLuis

Buff, beat the smaller ones and then move to kill the boss.
Using magic that hits all enemies helps a lot.

I'm doing that but I'm getting wrecked by the bosses almighty attack that hits the whole group and I can't get any damage done cause he keeps getting full healed by the minions. Even if I kill them he just summons another to get a full heal.

Is there some sort of trick to it I'm not catching on to?

Whenever the smaller ones are using Recarmdra, they lose a lot of life so you need first to focus your damage on the smaller ones and then in the boss.

If you're getting too much damage use defense buffs and attack debuffs. The first cast of any buff/debuff should last 3 turns of the target, but if you cast again before the 3 turns ended, they last 5 turns.

If he revives one of the minions, focus all your firepower on it.

Opa-Pa

Nothing in either Persona 2 is as bad as this.

But, yeah, I dislike Persona 1 a lot. So low-point of the last two decades, I guess.

Caracol though? I honestly hated nearly every dungeon in both P2 games because semi-labyrinthic dungeons + high encounter rate is 100% garbage.

OniBaka

Think I've been playing too much persona.

Had a lunch break so decided to go to a new ramen place that opened up for some peace and quiet, turns out I was the only customer there and I was thinking for fun that if this was a persona game my Guts stat would increase.

About the requests and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Did the requests make Joker seem to anyone else like the opposite of P2EP's JOKER? Whereas P2EP's JOKER took requests by phone to kill, and callers became "Jokers" (basically Shadows), P5's Joker instead took requests to confront Shadows and expel malice.

Coming off of Cosmic Star Heroine the combat in this game feels really terrible. It just seems that outside of boss battles there's no depth beyond selecting an enemies weakness then praying that the attack hits, they don't crit you and they don't instantly kill you. If your luck is up you need to repeat a whole lot of work. I can't see why the game doesn't give you the chance to repeat a battle if you lose outside of boss fights.

I like the game but I'd struggle to recommend it to anybody because the combat's so repetitive, RNG based and there's so much of it.

Zafir

Urgh, yeah, the encounter rate was pretty horrific in 2.

I've gotten to the point of remote playing with the vita (and just looking at the tv still to ignore any display lag), since its easier to do diagonals with such a small dpad. Only trick for me is getting the -> and X after the half-circle.

I am so frustrated right now :(

Good luck. xD

I'm surprised they put it in really. I imagine quite a few people will struggle due to not playing fighting games.

Coming off of Cosmic Star Heroine the combat in this game feels really terrible. It just seems that outside of boss battles there's no depth beyond selecting an enemies weakness then praying that the attack hits, they don't crit you and they don't instantly kill you. If your luck is up you need to repeat a whole lot of work. I can't see why the game doesn't give you the chance to repeat a battle if you lose outside of boss battles.

I like the game but I'd struggle to recommend it to anybody because the combat's so repetitive, RNG based and there's so much of it.

That's how its always been

Coming off of Cosmic Star Heroine the combat in this game feels really terrible. It just seems that outside of boss battles there's no depth beyond selecting an enemies weakness then praying that the attack hits, they don't crit you and they don't instantly kill you. If your luck is up you need to repeat a whole lot of work. I can't see why the game doesn't give you the chance to repeat a battle if you lose outside of boss battles.

I too, can boil any game combat down to hit the enemy (with the right thing) and don't get hit (with the wrong thing) and hope for the best.

Opa-Pa

I'm glad to read battle systems comparisons with CSH (I do mean this. I've read praise already but mostly from people who consider Chrono Trigger incredible playable wise), but what you're describing only really applies for the first hours of game. There's far more depth than just that and if you play the game right you can absolutely have control over battles instead of them depending on your luck.

Half of the fun is in managing your team to be able to cover every possible spell and resistance so you don't get screwed up in battles... and that battle restart part is weird.

ramyeon

But, yeah, I dislike Persona 1 a lot. So low-point of the last two decades, I guess.
lol I love Persona 2 but there is definitely stuff in there that is worse than Palace 5 (Which actually isn't that bad anyway).

It's always felt that way. Most of tension is in encountering a new enemy and working your way through the elements, looking for a weakness and hoping it doesn't repel/drain anything. I like that they added some things like technical strikes* that deal more damage (using garu attacks while an enemy has burn status effect, using psychic attacks while an enemy is inflicted with something like confuse). But yeah outside of having the right persona for the job and praying to rng gods you don't whiff there isn't a ton of depth. I still like it well enough, and the weakness system keeps most of the battles moving quickly.

*If this was added with a different game then I sure as heck didn't notice.

I too, can boil any game combat down to hit the enemy and don't get hit and hope for the best.

Please do. How many battles in FF7 would you lose because your attack misses based on RNG then you main character get targeted resulting in a game over and the loss of 30 minutes? It's terrible game design even if it's always been that way.

FluxWaveZ

What? How about the 'Bomb Shelter'?

Some parts of Palace 5 were tedious, but people are going way overboard. I liked the music, the aesthetic was fine (albeit a low point compared to the Phantom Thief inspired locations for the rest of 'em), and I enjoyed the conceit of the final boss.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Pics for all the ripping off DLCs costumes and Personas:

http://imgur.com/a/XXlg5

Please do. How many battles in FF7 would you lose because your attack misses based on RNG then you main character get targeted resulting in a game over and the loss of 30 minutes? It's terrible game design even if it's always been that way.

You make it as if it's a regular occurrences in Persona 5.

I've played 130 hours-ish right now and the amount of times that kind of thing happened to me were probably just two or three times.

none since the ff games are piss easy that have very little to no challenge whatsoever

and also rng is inherit to jrpg combat, if you dont like jrpg combat i suggest you stop playing jrpgs

Very liberal with the checkpoint safe rooms (you don't even have to save), ability to restart boss battles, and people still want even fewer consequences for dying. Amazing.

Whenever the smaller ones are using Recarmdra, they lose a lot of life so you need first to focus your damage on the smaller ones and then in the boss.

If you're getting too much damage use defense buffs and attack debuffs. The first cast of any buff/debuff should last 3 turns of the target, but if you cast again before the 3 turns ended, they last 5 turns.

If he revives one of the minions, focus all your firepower on it.

I got it, after finding out the minions are a guaranteed 1 shot from mudoon the fight was easy.

What has that got to do with hit the enemy, don't get hit, and hope for the best?

zulux21

does anyone know if "as well as the special set specific accessory item 'Arm PC'! Enjoy the phantom life even more with these unique costumes!" if the accessory from the Shin Megami Tensei if... Costume & BGM Special Set is any good?

slightly tempted to get it, but it's so expensive for mere costumes @_@

Yeah I am unsure of the combat. Was really hoping for an in-depth turn based game, but it boils down to using your Personas to do super damage. And that's really it.

Rarely do I use the gun (unless it's a super hit), and melee is just really to save up SP/HP.

Am I forgetting how simple other JRPGs are or is it just me?

Recently played games like Dragon Quest 5, and I recall even Golden Sun games feeling like they were a little more engaging.

I can't recall Golden Sun's combat actually, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just finished the 5th Palace, I don't get the hate. Was the easiest one so far too. But I guess the next few should be great.

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah I am unsure of the combat. Was really hoping for an in-depth turn based game, but it boils down to using your Personas to do super damage. And that's really it.

Rarely do I use the gun (unless it's a super hit), and melee is just really to save up SP/HP.

Recently played games like Dragon Quest 5, and I recall even Golden Sun games feeling like they were a little more engaging.

Combat gets more interesting once you start encountering more enemies that lack weaknesses.

kiaaa

Every RPG basically boils down to using X to do super damage. P5 can get more involved at higher difficulties, but the end goal is the same; get rid of all your enemy's health.

ramyeon

Y'all are crazy. The combat in Persona is largely why I love the games. Hitting weaknesses never gets old and enemies can just as easily turn the tides on you if you don't get the ambush.

Not to mention status effects and buffs/debuffs actually being useful.

About the batting cages -
what's the deal with the Third Eye skill? It works fine for the first swing, but for every swing after that it feels completely random when pressing the button will actually activate the skill.

Star confidant unlocks a bunch of useful gun skills.

Hylian7

You will need to have the appropriate Personas for each situation. While you may be able to scrape by some early stuff without exploiting weaknesses much, but to really get through battles efficiently, you will need to do it and trigger all out attacks. Sometimes the best offense will be defense top, as there will be battles where you need reflection, buffs, debuffs, etc. Let's say Joker's Persona is weak to fire and your party eats a Maragidyne... That gives them another turn for that immediately, which can potentially be devastating.

For guns, there are gun skills, but you mainly want to use the ammo, and maybe only one bullet, when you know they are weak to it. Use one shot on each enemy weak to it. Hint: Flying enemies with wings are almost always weak to gun.

I really enjoyed the Tower Confidant.
Shinya's growth from a brat who wears a "Get Smoked" hat into a great kid/lil bro is well done IMO.

Opa-Pa

Of all things I expected P5 to be criticized for, the combat was definitely not in the list lmao. I dunno how it is on Normal and lower difficulties, but on Hard it's 100% more deep than just "hit ice pokemon with fire attacks", unless we're talking about the first dungeon only, which is clearly mostly a tutorial area.

Reception for 5th palace seems to boil down to

1) whether you have SP regen gear
2) whether you have a psychic Pokemon

Actually the second point is important. The dungeon in question will always have enemies that are weak to the element of the new party member, so I kept Noir around for that reason.

Lunar15

Summer break is an incredible streak of quality character interaction time. This game is really really clicking with me right now. I love all the scenes with multiple confidants, and all the different things you can do with party members.

I agree with a Friend of mine who said that the appeal of the Persona combat is that it's fast and snappy. It's not meant to be XCOM levels of 4D chess, but a speed puzzle in which you're suppose to solve in the fastest time possible.

Very liberal with the checkpoint safe rooms (you don't even have to save), ability to restart boss battles, and people still want even fewer consequences for dying. Amazing.

I wonder if they play dark souls.

It's happened to me once, I lost like 20 minutes. No big deal. Wouldn't care if they got rid of it either.

Top Bottom