• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Persona fans get way too touchy when you point out how janky the combat is. Yes all jrpgs have rng elements, but persona games for general enemy combat play like a game of two glass vases fighting. Whoever lands the first blow 90% of the time shatters their opponent and wins. The only time the combat and fusion depth really matters is the boss fights which are the highlight of the games. The persona franchise could easily drop the rpg combat and just be a visual novel and the element most people actually care about would remain intact.
There's a ton of things I could harp on overprotective fans about, in their respective game franchises. But people here have been plenty reasonable in giving their opinion.

I agree that both sides can be glass cannons but that 90% is an overexaggeration as there are plenty of times where I've ambushed an enemy only to have to fight for my life and barely scrape by. (And yes RNG is a part of all RPGS, some more than others)

Your last statement however is just plain ridiculous. I, and many others on this forum, play the SMT series which has the same style of combat with none of the visual novel elements and enjoy it. Persona has to have both the dungeon crawling and the sim elements to be, well, Persona. This series would suffer if either were dropped.

Soma

Finished up Palace 4.

Loved everything about it. Great music, design and especially loved the plot and climax involving Futaba's story arc. She's already a fantastic character.

ramyeon

There's a ton of things I could harp on overprotective fans about, in their respective game franchises. But people here have been plenty reasonable in giving their opinion. I agree that both sides can be glass cannons but that 90% is an overexaggeration as there are plenty of times where I've ambushed an enemy only to have to fight for my life and barely scrape by. (And yes RNG is a part of all RPGS, some more than others).

Your last statement however is just plain ridiculous. I, and many others on this forum, play the SMT series which has the same style of combat with none of the visual novel elements and enjoy it. Persona has to have both the dungeon crawling and the sim elements to be, well, Persona. This series would suffer if either were dropped.
I mean if anything it doesn't actually need the visual novel elements to be Persona since those were not introduced until Persona 3.

LotusHD

Banned

Probably shouldn't spoil that.

---

As for the combat, meh, I'd be lying if I didn't say that 70 hours in I'm just going through the motions and totally in it for just the story and characters. That being said, I wouldn't want them to just drop it completely. That'd be weird...

Opa-Pa

Can't really complain much that this was brought up because I've been waiting for an excuse to ramble about how great the gameplay in this game is for a while now haha.

I mean if anything it doesn't actually need the visual novel elements to be Persona since those were not introduced until Persona 3.

No joke. I enjoy modern Persona for what it is, but if I could have P5's gameplay minus the life sim part, but with P2's everything else then it'd be the ideal series for me.

I don't think modern Persona's focus is /bad/ but it's not something I'd be playing if it didn't have Megaten elements in the mix at all.

Griss

Good god, that fifth dungeon boss... Let's make a
super fucking tedious fight with a ton of filler enemies that takes 15 minutes, then right at the end of the battle give the main boss an attack that wipes your party from full health. Wonderful design. Wonderful.
I don't mind wiping, I don't mind being 1HKO'd, but the awful length of the battle plus being wiped that way is really poor design. After the 4th dungeon I was under the impression that Futaba would give me a warning if a boss was going to use a super move. Apparently not. Not looking forward to having to slog through that 20 minutes of filler again.

Thanks for the explanation. Let me explain It a little better:

The combat feels like a checklist if I know my enemy's weakness, which seems to be obvious unless its a boss fight.

I think maybe I haven't played too far in. Just beat the first palace, so maybe it changes.

But my 3 supporting characters have a single elemental move that is either effective or not.

Same with the main character, despite his ability to switch.

Everybody can heal.

It's like if Im playing Pokemon with different types, yet those types just have one move that either is useful for the battle or not.

If the attack is the hard counter (super effective), I knock out the enemy to do a follow up attack, which I can spam thanks to the 1 More system. The enemy doesn't really get a chance to attack back if I know their weakness. It makes the battles feel like a step by step sort of thing.

This is all if I know the weakness, and at a certain point in Palace 1, Ive seen all the enemies and know their weakness to do just this.

It's like, they don't ever have a chance to do their own moves because if I get to attack first, I can keep chaining attacks.

I do like that some moves take HP. I guess I was hoping there was a risk involving using attacks that use SP or HP, but it feels like all I really need to do is get them down with the persona attack.

Let me know if thats way off or not

For what it's worth, I've played SMT IV, SMT Strange Journey, P3, P4, and am now 60 hours into P5 and I totally agree with your criticisms - I find the press turn system used by SMT games to be one of the worst turn-based systems in a major RPG out there.

It is imbalanced by design, intentionally - either you or the opponent is supposed to decimate the other quickly, and that's the exact opposite of how I want my RPG combat. Running through 30 encounters in a row with ambushes and clearing them all in one turn is not particularly fun to me, and I can tell you that in the 5th dungeon it's still much the same.

Once groups of enemies can reflect the element the other enemies are weak to then it starts forcing you to play with your status effects or high-critical moves, but 60 hours in is way, way too late to be introducing interesting gameplay like that imo.

Just be glad you're not playing SMT IV, which took all of the crazy advantages you get for being able to line up the 'simon says' spell to an enemy's weakness to get tons of extra turns and layered an insane 'smirk' mechanic over it where if you hit a weakness you were often invulnerable to damage for that turn. I've done many posts about why I dislike the system, but I think the fact that all of the best fights in these games are when your opponent has no weakness and you've got a persona / demon without one too... that really tells the tale, doesn't it?

Before people ask me what I think good turn based combat is, it's Etrian Odyssey. My favourite system ever.

EDIT: Went and found my SMT IV thread. Man I hated that game, lol.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Finished up Palace 4.

Loved everything about it. Great music, design and especially loved the plot and climax involving Futaba's story arc. She's already a fantastic character.
Her arc and Sojiro's are amazing.

She is one of the best characters in the game and it's not jusr because she's a stand in for Otaku/gamer culture.

Jiraiza

Hierophant, Rank 10:
i2GbDMy.png

Can I call Sojiro my dad now? Legit got a little emotional when Sojiro considered MC as his family.

God, I love family themed storylines.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Good god, that fifth dungeon boss... Let's make a
super fucking tedious fight with a ton of filler enemies that takes 15 minutes, then right at the end of the battle give the main boss an attack that wipes your party from full health. Wonderful design. Wonderful.
I don't mind wiping, I don't mind being 1HKO'd, but the awful length of the battle plus being wiped that way is really poor design. After the 4th dungeon I was under the impression that Futaba would give me a warning if a boss was going to use a super move. Apparently not. Not looking forward to having to slog through that 20 minutes of filler again.

There's a one turn delay from the boss announcing his attack to him actually launching his attack, so why didn't defend?

Also, don't cure anyone with Hunger when the boss about to launch that attack; that attack will heal all party members inflicted by Hunger.

ramyeon

After the 4th dungeon I was under the impression that Futaba would give me a warning if a boss was going to use a super move. Apparently not.
Perhaps because by that point they expect you to know the drill?

You can't win. Either too much hand holding or not enough.

This guy shreds.

Video gets so good at around 30 seconds.
Oh this is the dude who did the Silent Hill Medley! Damn I should check him out again.

Also that description is awesome.
Exactly. Persona 1/2 were regular RPGs lasting ~30 hours by all accounts. I enjoyed P2 too! So I know they aren't going to ditch the SL/Confidant elements so I want another spinoff now, lol.

I'm not disagreeing that EO and the new Cosmic Star Heroine might have top tier battle systems fit for dungeon-crawlin' for days, but I'm arguing that Persona/SMT has a solid baseline for combat. Even with SMT trademark bullshit moments. Persona 5 is above average within the series, in my opinion.

(I actually am loving EO since last year when I finally got around to playing on my 3DS. Also I want to check out CSH on my Vita when it comes out. Glad to hear such postive impressions here!)

Griss

There's a one turn delay from the boss announcing his attack to him actually launching his attack, so why didn't defend?

Also, don't cure anyone with Hunger when the boss about to launch that attack; that attack will heal all party members inflicted by Hunger.

Because
a) I was very, very close to beating him and thought I'd manage it on that turn
b) My party was at full health and
c) I had a defense buff up party-wide

Just couldn't have imagined wiping from that situation. Also I'm pretty sure the first time he announced that attack I 'interrupted' it and I was hoping to do the same again. Bunch of reasons, really. Usually I'm cautious with guarding.

Perhaps because by that point they expect you to know the drill?

You can't win. Either too much hand holding or not enough.

As I said, 1hko wiping is one thing - I can deal with that and it's extremely rare in this game compared to other SMTs. It's the tedious nature of that battle and getting to that part that I'm unhappy with, really. Don't make me trudge through all that boring shit just to give the final enemy a potential 1hko.

daveo42

Banned
I'm liking it but it's turning into a real life multi-day dungeon for me. Finding I need to take more breaks with this one.

I kind of feel the same way...but I find it way more tedious. Love the setting, music, and the rest but running through some of these sections are just blah. I kind of wish they did more to mix it up like Palace 6. That was by far one of my favorite dungeons. Ranks right up there with 4.

Opa-Pa

That fifth dungeon boss has a pretty funny twist that can help with that ultimate attack.
The hunger status actually helps you because if you have it while receiving the big bang challenge attack, it heals you instead.

That being said it's telegraphed and it's nothing that marakukaja + guarding can't solve.

I tried hanging out with Sojiro 3 times in June to strengthen the bond but nothing happened. Now I find out I can't strengthen it until August anyway. Does that mean not only did I not strengthen anything with him but I lost out 3 opportunities I could have used to strengthen something else? In a game where you only get limited opportunities to level up stats and links how is that fair?

TheFatMan

Palace 3ish Memento spoiler (I guess, nothing big).

That fucking teddy bear almos ruined my night. Chain casting that bullshit status ailment and making my team turn on each other. I was literally ONE fucking turn from a game over and I hadn't saved in a good 30-40 minutes. Hardest damn fight i've found in the game so far. I had the wrong team in for cures, but I had no way of knowing that until it was too late.

Palace 4 is spinning up story wise now and it sounds like it's going to be a dope one. I have a ton of money saved up to re-equip and I'm going to try and one day this one after the shit fest that was 3.

PInk Tape

Banned
Just beat the fifth palace boss
and omg I was startled by Shadow Okumura being killed by the black mask guy. I have several theories about what's going to happen afterward to the Phantom Thieves because of this and none of them are good, lol.

I finished it with 13 days to spare so I'm gonna have to wait to see what happens and I'm pretty anxious about it.

silva1991

I tried hanging out with Sojiro 3 times in June to strengthen the bond but nothing happened. Now I find out I can't strengthen it until August anyway. Does that mean not only did I nkt strengthen anything with him but I lost out 3 opportunities I could have used to strengthen something else? In a game where you only get limited opportunities to level up stats and links how is that fair?

The game tells you on the world map which character is ready to level up or not.

Better to spend time with the ones that are ready first.

TissueBox

Persona fans get way too touchy when you point out how janky the combat is. Yes all jrpgs have rng elements, but persona games for general enemy combat play like a game of two glass vases fighting. Whoever lands the first blow 90% of the time shatters their opponent and wins. The only time the combat and fusion depth really matters is the boss fights which are the highlight of the games. The persona franchise could easily drop the rpg combat and just be a visual novel and the element most people actually care about would remain intact.

I've always loved modern Persona's social elements most, and frankly a good wholesome RPG based around modern-day social elements and character building with a good story would be an instant hit for me. When Persona 3 came out I felt like I was one step closer to that dream game which is why the series is such a darling to me, but that being said it would be a different series with its MT roots and combat system removed. Maybe a spinoff though...spinoff-ception lol?

P5 combat is serviceable enough, like the others once you reach a certain point you just get the groove. Probably the most streamlined yet, but more efficient as a result.

Opa-Pa

Oh god, Akechi rubbed the wrong way from the start because he reminded me of someone unpleasant and I couldn't tell who.

But now I get it, it's fucking Komaeda from Danganronpa.

The game tells you on the world map which character is ready to level up or not.

Better to spend time with the ones that are ready first.

Both Sojiro and Takemi are in that area and Takemi was ready to level up. The game doesn't differentiate so how can you tell them?
You can't level up Ryuji until a certain point so the game doesn't let you spend time with him until then. Why couldn't they do the same for Sojiro?

Both Sojiro and Takemi are in that area and Takemi was ready to level up. The game doesn't differentiate so how can you tell them?
You can't level up Ryuji until a certain point so the game doesn't let you spend time with him until then. Why couldn't they do the same for Sojiro?

.....the icon literally says "level up" to tell you that you can level up with the character.

PK Gaming

Did anyone else catch that amazing Persona 4 reference

6th palace spoilers

Goro's !! cut-in is done in the style of P4, rather than the P5 style. Something,
something justice maybe?

silva1991

Press square on the world map. If it's blue and says "up" then they will level up

like this

Persona-5-Map.jpg

Sometimes they are blue, but without the"up" part and those can be a waste of time in case another character is actually ready to level up.

End of palace 7 spoilers:

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the explosion envelop Ryuji.

I actually hoped that
he died on that explosion. I thought "oh, is this his redemption moment after all of those terrible things he has said and done so far? GOOD RIDDANCE.

Totally disappointed, in the end.

Toki767

Point of no return:
By the end of that Mission. So this last remaining 22 days are for cleaning up all your social stuff

Hmm...this might be tough.
I still have Yusuke at Rank 7, Futaba at Rank 8, and Haru at Rank 4.

Hopefully their availability times don't screw me over.

Top Bottom