• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Ok so far I've done 4 palaces.

This is my ranking so far:

Futaba Palace
Kamoshida Palace
Madarame Palace
Kaneshiro Palace

I think the dungeons are really improved for a Persona game and you still have the random generated one too.

Though for a JRPG game these days, the Palaces/Dungeons are all weak, to be honest.
Yeah, they've all been pretty weak, tbh. Much better than P4 but that's not saying much.

Zakalwe

Banned
Weak?

I love the dungeons in this game. They have just the right amount of exploration/encounters, they have unique looks, and the music so far for each has been fantastic.

I'm on the forth, so not sure how it progresses, but I'm really enjoying them so far.

PK Gaming

Yeah, they've all been pretty weak, tbh. Much better than P4 but that's not saying much.

I'm struggling to think of a modern console RPG with better dungeon design. That's not me being a hardcore fanboy btw, it's just the recent stuff I've played (Berseria, Cold Steel, etc) has been super simplistic.

Ok so far I've done 4 palaces.

This is my ranking so far:

Futaba Palace
Kamoshida Palace
Madarame Palace
Kaneshiro Palace

I think the dungeons are really improved for a Persona game and you still have the random generated one too.

Though for a JRPG game these days, the Palaces/Dungeons are all weak, to be honest.

Really? Which modern JRPGS have better dungeons?

nOoblet16

This game has some of the most unique dungeons I've ever seen in games tbh. They are not Dark Souls type but that's a different type of game. Nor are they like FFXV's dungeons, FFXV actually has a masterclass of a dungeon in level design in the form of Pitioss dungeon, but again those are very different types and the things that makes those great are different than what a Persona 5 dungeon offers. What you get in Persona doesn't really feel or look like dungeons but rather giant levels with interesting themes, music, presentations and bosses.

God, I am in love with this game. One of the rate games that I dont want to end. And I really have no idea what to play after P5. Cancelled my plans of starting Nier:Automata, will need something less emotional to play.

I mean, I get that for right after persona but please don't cancel that plan for good!

Miang

Question for people who have maxed the Tower confidant:
I've been focusing on party member links as I get near the end so I can get all their skills, but realised by neglecting Tower I may have screwed myself out of the ability to fuse Yoshitsune who I'm assuming is the final Tower persona? Does Tower have any Mementos quests or stat requirements that will block progress? I'm on 11/23, Tower is at rank 3. I have max charm, knowledge and proficiency, the other 2 at rank 4.

cheesekao

I've been focusing on party member links as I get near the end so I can get all their skills, but realised by neglecting Tower I may have screwed myself out of the ability to fuse Yoshitsune who I'm assuming is the final Tower persona? Does Tower have any Mementos quests or stat requirements that will block progress? I'm on 11/23, Tower is at rank 3. I have max charm, knowledge and proficiency, the other 2 at rank 4.
You need Strength 5 for that persona. Maxing tower simply gives you extra exp during fusion.

PK Gaming

Don't worry,
Yoshitsune isn't locked behind the Tower arcana. You gain access to him after ranking up the Strength arcana to at least 5
/

Opa-Pa

The DLC costumes are 10 dollars a pop for us Canadians. Buying 3 sets would cost 30 dollars which is hysterical. Where are the bundles at?

At least there's free DLC coming soon... several weeks from now ~_~

There's more free DLC then? Which are they?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really? Which modern JRPGS have better dungeons?

That's what I'm wondering. Especially long running series, like I enjoy Tales games but they phone in the dungeon/field areas like crazy.

Persona 5 dungeons are incredibly refreshing in comparison, both in theme and general plot tie in to some of the stuff you actually do. Some run a bit too long but all in all I've enjoyed all of them a ton. Boss fights have been great as well.

_Ryo_

I didn't even know there were other infiltration tools besides the lock picks, eternal lock pick, stealthonol and convertizer. I really hope I don't need some for the end game...

I'm struggling to think of a modern console RPG with better dungeon design. That's not me being a hardcore fanboy btw, it's just the recent stuff I've played (Berseria, Cold Steel, etc) has been super simplistic.
Simplistic is fine. In P5 the dungeon aesthetics are quite poor and seem like a lot of copy and paste. The is almost no exploration and detective vision makes looting a joke. Maybe they get much better after 4, i'm not there yet. I just find them boring to traverse and having contextual jump/climb buttons dont help. I recently played Divinity, FFXV and Nioh and i'm not saying they are better or worse games but I had a lot more fun in their dungeons

I didn't even know there were other infiltration tools besides the lock picks, eternal lock pick, stealthonol and convertizer. I really hope I don't need some for the end game...
You don't. I've never once used anything besides lockpicks and I've just about finished the game.

That's what I'm wondering. Especially long running series, like I enjoy Tales games but they phone in the dungeon/field areas like crazy.

Persona 5 dungeons are incredibly refreshing in comparison, both in theme and general plot tie in to some of the stuff you actually do. Some run a bit too long but all in all I've enjoyed all of them a ton. Boss fights have been great as well.

People are never happy, it's actually fascinating.

Simplistic is fine. In P5 the dungeon aesthetics are quite poor and seem like a lot of copy and paste. The is almost no exploration and detective vision makes looting a joke. Maybe they get much better after 4, i'm not there yet. I just find them boring to traverse and having contextual jump/climb buttons dont help. I recently played Divinity, FFXV and Nioh and i'm not saying they are better or worse games but I had a lot more fun in their dungeons
Nope.

The 5th one was literally the worst dungeon that I've seen in this game thus far.

Opa-Pa

Not saying people are wronh in saying there are better ones, because there's lots of RPG series I don't play, but personally Persona 5 has the best dungeon I've seen in an (non first person dungeon crawler) RPG period.

I'm not counting stuff like Souls games either tho.

Nope.

The 5th one was literally the worst dungeon that I've seen in this game thus far.

Palace 6 is great tho.

Zyrox

Random palace 7 thing:
How did they do the "calling card" this time? In the video everyone is in their P-thief getup, so this must be shot from the metaverse but wasn't it said in palace 1 that cameras don't work in there? Not that important obviously, as it was still a cool scene.

cheesekao

Random palace 7 thing:
How did they do the "calling card" this time? In the video everyone is in their P-thief getup, so this must be shot from the metaverse but wasn't it said in palace 1 that cameras don't work in there? Not that important obviously, as it was still a cool scene.
If I had to guess, I'd say Futaba had something to do with that be it with her Persona or tech skills.

Guess Who

Banned
I have become a sobbing ball of emotions after (12/24 very, very endgame level spoilers)
freeing all my teammates from their cells in the Velvet Room.
I may never recover.

Not saying people are wronh in saying there are better ones, because there's lots of RPG series I don't play, but personally Persona 5 has the best dungeon I've seen in an (non first person dungeon crawler) RPG period.

I'm not counting stuff like Souls games either tho.

Palace 6 is great tho.
Why shouldnt we count soulsborne games though? Their dungeons would be just as great with turnbased enemies running around.

ShadyK54

I don't know. I thought
fighting in a castle, jumping from chandelier to chandelier
&
hopping tombs inside a pyramid
was pretty damn fun & cool.

Haven't had a dungeon yet that made me go "this looks kind of lame." Only complaint is the length sometimes, but I always get this wonderful feeling whenever I'm tired & ready to quit exploring, only to hit the next story bits or safe rooms. Good times.

There is nothing to FFXVs dungeons though, they are just hallway mazes that look pretty. I havent played Nioh, if its anything like Bloodborne I would expect good things.

P5's are definitely some of the best in the genre. They are varied in design, thematic, and littered with simple puzzles to keep things fresh. The only issue is that sections can drag a bit.

Palace 6 is great tho.
Hearing people say that is literally the only reason that I've kept playing for the past dozens of hours.

It's so crazy to say that, cause I was insanely into Persona 4, but now the past 20-30 hours of Persona 5 have been literally awful. I'm even reluctant and forcing myself to do S-links and build my stats, and those were the things that I really loved in Persona 4.

This is so disappointing.

cheesekao

Hearing people say that is literally the only reason that I keep playing right now.

It's so crazy to say that, cause I was insanely into Persona 4, but now the past 20-30 hours of Persona 5 have been literally awful. I'm even reluctant and forcing myself to do S-links and build my stats, and those were the things that I really loved in Persona 4.

So I take it you prefer the randomly generated hallways of P4?

Sami+

Not everyone has to love the same stuff as you. There are people in here that defend the game's camera and stealth mechanics. I don't find it fun to traverse and explore the dungeons, there's not much more to it.

The controls in general feel awful. I love the game so far for the same reasons I've always loved P3 and P4 but the fact that the controls and animation still feel like a PS2 game is a bummer.

gun_haver

Hearing people say that is literally the only reason that I keep playing right now.

I'm closer to how you feel although not as dramatic about it. I definitely don't like this as much as Persona 4 - there's no warmth to it, or I don't feel like over-looking the repetitive/poor writing this time around.

I still like it though, overall. Just started dungeon 5, seems fine. Music is crap, but I keep it low in dungeons anyway cos even if it's a good song, it gets annoying eventually.

The story feels like it is going nowhere, although I am still hoping they pick it up towards the end.

The controls in general feel awful. I love the game so far for the same reasons I've always loved P3 and P4 but the fact that the controls and animation still feel like a PS2 game is a bummer.
the only controls that feel off are the stealth controls, especially with how the camera spins when you exit cover.

Sölf

Post Palace 7 spoilers.

So, I am in Mementos Depths now. It sounds like we are going to erase Mementos. Does that mean after finishing this dungeon, I can no longer do Mementos requests, therefore I am stuck on various Confidants?

Also, the Palace 7 boss required both my Somas. Am I fucked?

There is nothing to FFXVs dungeons though, they are just hallway mazes that look pretty. I havent played Nioh, if its anything like Bloodborne I would expect good things.

P5's are definitely some of the best in the genre. They are varied in design, thematic, and littered with simple puzzles to keep things fresh. The only issue is that sections can drag a bit.
I am finding P5 to be hallway mazes that dont look pretty, though. To me they were more fun in ffxv because there were lots of hidden areas to explore and traversal wasnt contextual and the secret dungeon is on a whole other level.
I'm not saying P5 is worst in genre but I was expecting more from a game in 2017. Maybe when they drop ps3 support they will go all out on dungeon design.

_Ryo_

I have MAX Kindness and level 4 everything else. I've been trying to build up my knowledge to hang out with
Hifumi
but the game is deadset against it!

Top Bottom