• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Shahadan

I've been skipping almost all the text for a while now and it still takes forever. No idea how anyone can have the patience to do a full second playthrough

So, some heavy spoilers for mid-late November and palace
:

I spent the greater part of 6 hours cursing Akechi out and wishing so hard that he was the traitor so that I wouldn't have to keep him in my party. He stayed sidelined the whole Palace and I was actively angry when he dared to put his hand on my Boo Makoto's shoulder after the boss battle with Sae. He generally made everything worse with his comments too. I was so relieved when we found out he was the traitor and that he had generally been outsmarted by Makoto, Futaba, and Morgana.

Otherwise, game is great and the dungeons are great. I really enjoy the theme and style of the game. It's really everything I could have asked for and more. I will say, though, that Palace
and the addition of
Haru as a party member
felt a little hollow and rushed compared with the rest of the game.

Sami+

the only controls that feel off are the stealth controls, especially with how the camera spins when you exit cover.

Basic movement feels really stiff imo. A lot like the PS2 games, but with the dungeon design being so much more dynamic it's a lot more noticeable. Like jumping from chandelier to chandelier in the opening sequence looks and feels really stiff and awkward.

Sölf;234247021 said:
Post Palace 7 spoilers.

So, I am in Mementos Depths now. It sounds like we are going to erase Mementos. Does that mean after finishing this dungeon, I can no longer do Mementos requests, therefore I am stuck on various Confidants?

Also, the Palace 7 boss required both my Somas. Am I fucked?

No more confidants after that. You can leave Mementos from the entrance to go to the airsoft shop and clinic, but that's it. You're in the endgame.

So I take it you prefer the randomly generated hallways of P4?
No, and I loved the first 4 dungeons in Persona 5.

Everything else? I can't give a damn. Like the game does a horrible job of making me actually care about these characters and what's happening to them. Almost all of them are extremely forgettable and I can't even force myself to care about any of them. I know this is subjective, but Persona 4 did way better in this regard and made me wanna see more from those guys.

Persona 5, though? I can't wait for people to shut up about Phantom Thieves and how cool and amazing they are. Futaba and Makoto are like the only characters in the main party that I don't dislike right now.

I'm closer to how you feel although not as dramatic about it. I definitely don't like this as much as Persona 4 - there's no warmth to it, or I don't feel like over-looking the repetitive/poor writing this time around.

I still like it though, overall. Just started dungeon 5, seems fine. Music is crap, but I keep it low in dungeons anyway cos even if it's a good song, it gets annoying eventually.

The story feels like it is going nowhere, although I am still hoping they pick it up towards the end.
Sorry, if I sound dramatic, but I'm genuinely very disappointed and frustrated by the game right now, so that's really how I feel.

I am finding P5 to be hallway mazes that dont look pretty, though. To me they were more fun because there were lots of hidden areas to explore and traversal wasnt contextual and the secret dungeon is on a whole other level.
I'm not saying P5 is worst in genre but I was expecting more from a game in 2017. Maybe when they drop ps3 support they will go all out on dungeon design.
if you hate contextual jumping then yea I can see a problem, but hallway maze is definitely off since there is plenty of puzzles and things strewn about that requires more interaction than just movement.

Though I never did play the bonus dungeon in FFXV to see what the hype was about because well, I couldnt stand playing that game any longer than I did.

Everything else? I can't give a damn. Like the game does a horrible job of making me actually care about these characters and what's happening to them. Almost all of them are extremely forgettable and I can't even force myself to care about any of them. I know this is subjective, but Persona 4 did way better in this regard and made me wanna see more from those guys.

Persona 5, though? I can't wait for people to shut up about Phantom Thieves and how cool and amazing they are. Futaba and Makoto are like the only characters in the main party that I don't dislike right now.
Futaba's introduction
is probably the best part of the game for me, because of how much like Persona 4 it is. It establishes her character in a very powerful way that the rest of the cast doesnt get the benefit of. However P5 is a slow burn. Every character gets development and interesting personal moments. I wouldnt put it on the same level as P4, but its still really good.

duckroll

Weird, I feel the complete opposite. Never liked most of the characters in Persona 4, didn't care for the setting. Persona 5 is exactly what I want from the series. It's basically Persona 3-2. Naoto was the only interesting party character in Persona 4. Everyone else was annoying or dumb.

jonjonaug

Sölf;234247021 said:
Post Palace 7 spoilers.

So, I am in Mementos Depths now. It sounds like we are going to erase Mementos. Does that mean after finishing this dungeon, I can no longer do Mementos requests, therefore I am stuck on various Confidants?

You're fine.
The only long boss left is the final one, and you get a free Soma just before it along with a couple encounters near it that drop tons of XP if you need to grind.

Reading posts of people saying that they're forcing themselves to play the game while I'm stuck at work unable to play it. Worst part is I wont have time tonight either. I've loved every moment until now, can't wait to get back to it.

silva1991

Sölf;234247021 said:
Post Palace 7 spoilers.

I'll tell you that final boss will require more SP management, so good luck.

if you hate contextual jumping then yea I can see a problem, but hallway maze is definitely off since there is plenty of puzzles and things strewn about that requires more interaction than just movement.

Though I never did play the bonus dungeon in FFXV to see what the hype was about because well, I couldnt stand playing that game any longer than I did.
Yeah. My other gripe is that most exploration is rewarded with a locked chest but I don't see the value in spending precious time making lockpicks when there are better things to do

Sölf;234247021 said:
Post Palace 7 spoilers.

1. Yep
2. Depends on the difficulty you are playing. I hope you have been practicing your coffee making skills, those could be pretty useful.

Reading posts of people saying that they're forcing themselves to play the game while I'm stuck at work unable to play it. Worst part is I wont have time tonight either. I've loved every moment until now, can't wait to get back to it.

I share this sentiment. So jealous of people who have all this free time. I'm pretty proud of my 60 hours so far considering how busy I've been since the game has dropped. Hell, the friend I got into SMT & Persona has already beaten it before me. :(

I've been avoiding the OTs for this since I've been roaming through almost entirely blind but I had to cave and take a look at some recommended social links.

But anyway I thought I'd chime in on the dungeons point, I always thought one of the main flaws with 4 was its dungeon design, 5 by comparison is a massive leap up surely? granted they are mostly linear in that more modern Zelda (errr, pre BotW that is) way where you have something of an illusion of freedom but for the most part are railroaded down a rather clear route. Even so there's a lot more going on than the corridor delving of the previous game.
I've only just done the third and I can see the limited interactions and general formula of them getting a bit much, especially when I consider them to come across a bit too long in the tooth (I'm still shook at just how long the first one was!) but in any case I like to think it's a step up for the series even if it's simply being good enough.
Granted, I don't play many JRPGs so I'm not sure how the competition fares these days, I just remember the Tales games falling off a cliff in this department.

nOoblet16

Basic movement feels really stiff imo. A lot like the PS2 games, but with the dungeon design being so much more dynamic it's a lot more noticeable. Like jumping from chandelier to chandelier in the opening sequence looks and feels really stiff and awkward.
Hold R2 and you'll jump automatically without stopping like Assassin's Creed.

Yeah. My other gripe is that most exploration is rewarded with a locked chest but I don't see the value in spending precious time making lockpicks when there are better things to do
thats why you dont make them yourself

(but actually making lockpicks is great for proficiency anyway)

I feel like you are about to blow some minds

Jiraiza

Sorry, if I sound dramatic, but I'm genuinely very disappointed and frustrated by the game right now, so that's really how I feel.

Complete opposite for me, I care more about P5's characters than I do P4. P5 does a better job of connecting the characters with each other, if anything. That scene where Yusuke asks about Ann and Ryuji's relationship was very good, in particular. Or the part when everyone hangs out with Futaba in pairs. Slice of life stuff is much more prevalent in this game than Persona 4 and makes me connect with the characters a lot more. And dynamics actually exist between characters outside of the MC.

Complete opposite for me, I care more about P5's characters than I do P4. P5 does a better job of connecting the characters with each other, if anything. That scene where Yusuke asks about Ann and Ryuji's relationship was very good, in particular. Or the part when everyone hangs out with Futaba in pairs. Slice of life stuff is much more prevalent in this game than Persona 4 and makes me connect with the characters a lot more. And dynamics actually exist between characters outside of the MC.
I've only played golden, but that had A LOT more than P5 does. Both are far better than 3 though

duckroll

You do realize that you can leave all locked chests alone until after you send the Calling Card right? And the night you send the card, the only activity you can do is craft infiltration tools. It's either that or sleep, so it's a free Proficiency boost, and the next day you collect all the locked chests you found throughout the dungeon (which are all labeled on the map), before doing the boss.

nOoblet16

Man you guys must have really high fuckin standards to call Persona 5's writing "poor" of all the things. I am not saying it's inarguably perfect or even great, but if you feel this is "poor" then I guess I feel bad for you because you must feel like throwing up and selling your copy for most other games.

LiK

Man you guys must have really high standards to call Persona 5's writing "poor" of all the things. I am not saying it's inarguably perfect or even great, but if you feel this is "poor" then I guess I feel bad for you because you must feel like throwing up and selling your copy for most other games.

I thought it was great.

Guess Who

Banned
Man you guys must have really high standards to call Persona 5's writing "poor" of all the things. I am not saying it's inarguably perfect or even great, but if you feel this is "poor" then I guess I feel bad for you because you must feel like throwing up and selling your copy for most other games.

It's certainly the best written of the modern Persona games by a country fucking mile, to the point where I can't honestly take the idea that P4 or P3 were better seriously.

asagami_

Banned

I think the ideal time to make lockpicks is the night before to steal the treasure, don't matter if there are locked chests or not.

Futaba's introduction
is probably the best part of the game for me, because of how much like Persona 4 it is. It establishes her character in a very powerful way that the rest of the cast doesnt get the benefit of. However P5 is a slow burn. Every character gets development and interesting personal moments. I wouldnt put it on the same level as P4, but its still really good.
Yeah, besides the
beach part
I like how Futaba was introduced.

Weird, I feel the complete opposite. Never liked most of the characters in Persona 4, didn't care for the setting. Persona 5 is exactly what I want from the series. It's basically Persona 3-2. Naoto was the only interesting party character in Persona 4. Everyone else was annoying or dumb.
How deep are you in the game right now? I felt very good about Persona 5 up until the 4th palace but after that, it just went downhill and it's still going that way for me. I think at the beginning I was hoping that later on we'll get those fun interactions between the group and get to see and know them better, but those parts never came (and what they showed during certain scenes were just plain bad) and instead it's been all "Phantom Thieves" talk.

It's gotten really annoying.

Likewise, it's the complete opposite for me. Thus far, I've either hated or disliked most of the social parts in the story. I think it's mainly because they don't talk about characters but just focus on "Phantom Thieves", instead. Also I really dislike how MC is pretty non-existent in this game.

I think the ideal time to make lockpicks is the night before to steal the treasure, don't matter if there are locked chests or not.

You do realize that you can leave all locked chests alone until after you send the Calling Card right? And the night you send the card, the only activity you can do is craft infiltration tools. It's either that or sleep, so it's a free Proficiency boost, and the next day you collect all the locked chests you found throughout the dungeon (which are all labeled on the map), before doing the boss.
Thanks for the tip.

nOoblet16

It's certainly the best written of the modern Persona games by a country fucking mile, to the point where I can't honestly take the idea that P4 or P3 were better seriously.
Neither can I.
When someone makes a hyperbole like "poor writing" it just comes across as trying too hard to be edgy while swimming in nostalgia.

LiK

Yeah, besides the
beach part
I like how Futaba was introduced.

How deep are you in the game right now? I felt very good about Persona 5 up until the 4th palace but after that, it just went downhill and it's still going that way for me. I think at the beginning I was hoping that later on we'll get those fun interactions between the group and get to see and know them better, but those parts never came (and what they showed during certain scenes were just plain bad) and instead it's been all "Phantom Thieves" talk.

The whole
beach part
was way too early in the story, imo. I think that should've been pushed a lil further into her development.

Guess Who

Banned

Aside from the part of the game you're at right now generally being considered the weakest part of the game, there's also the fact that (vague Sept/Oct spoilers)
all the "omg the Phantom Thieves are great" talk is an intentional part of where the plot is going.

Rizzi

I just beat the first dungeon and unlocked the moon arcana confidant. Are they all going to give me dope abilities?

I've been avoiding the OTs for this since I've been roaming through almost entirely blind but I had to cave and take a look at some recommended social links.

But anyway I thought I'd chime in on the dungeons point, I always thought one of the main flaws with 4 was its dungeon design, 5 by comparison is a massive leap up surely? granted they are mostly linear in that more modern Zelda (errr, pre BotW that is) way where you have something of an illusion of freedom but for the most part are railroaded down a rather clear route. Even so there's a lot more going on than the corridor delving of the previous game.
I've only just done the third and I can see the limited interactions and general formula of them getting a bit much, especially when I consider them to come across a bit too long in the tooth (I'm still shook at just how long the first one was!) but in any case I like to think it's a step up for the series even if it's simply being good enough.
Granted, I don't play many JRPGs so I'm not sure how the competition fares these days, I just remember the Tales games falling off a cliff in this department.

Yeah, some sections can be a bit grueling, but none of the dungeons even begin to approach what I would consider "bad". Encounter pacing is usually on-point, the dungeon motifs fit the heist theme, and the music is bangin'. They're not perfect, but they're also fuckin' JRPG dungeons. It's fiiine.

Sami+

Huh. Wow thanks

If you're getting burnt out by the dungeons, take a break.

This is gonna be hard for me. 😬😬 After playing P3 and especially P4 as much as I have I've definitely gotten in the mindset that I need to bum rush every dungeon in a day so I can have time to boost my stats the following weeks.

LiK

Huh. Wow thanks

This is gonna be hard for me. 😬😬 After playing P3 and especially P4 as much as I have I've definitely gotten in the mindset that I need to bum rush every dungeon in a day so I can have time to boost my stats the following weeks.

Some of the late game Palaces tired me out. I took a break for a day.

Confidants really unlock a lot of gameplay perks that are really useful going by what I've been reading here, very cool.
And from what I've seen so far they are always things that make sense for the character, I really like that.

I just beat the first dungeon and unlocked the moon arcana confidant. Are they all going to give me dope abilities?
Yes for the most part. Hanged man is kind of sucky though since guns aren't great and there's a better gun focused social link anyways. Temperance would also be kind of bad except the final ability is godlike and one of the other one has it's uses

The whole
beach part
was way too early in the story, imo. I think that should've been pushed a lil further into her development.
I was 60+ hours in the game when that happened so I don't know if I'd call that early. Still, that part was just uninteresting so I don't think I would've thought any different even if it was pushed to a later date.
Aside from the part of the game you're at right now generally being considered the weakest part of the game, there's also the fact that (vague Sept/Oct spoilers)
all the "omg the Phantom Thieves are great" talk is an intentional part of where the plot is going.
I've heard that, but that doesn't change the fact that it's very sluggish and pretty boring to play through.

asagami_

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that with 3 games we can finally have a Persona Tactics with the awesome combat of Devil Survivor?

I think I don't understand this very well, but Devil Survivor is basically Press-Turn lite. If anything I want a improved version from that (Devil Survivor 3 when? ;_;)

Unless you have a way to recover SP (something difficult in the first few Palaces) you can't reach to the Treasure in a day. I'm talking in Hard difficulty, but I suspect is similar in Normal.

Cat

Yes. I'm not done yet, am in late October, but having looked up a lot of info and maxed it, I'd say Temperance is the one to prioritize over all others. If possible make sure you do rank 7 to 8 before summer break. Otherwise, you have to wait until after summer break is over.

Edit-In fact, maybe she's not available during summer break, period so IF you can have it done before then, great, but if not, you might have to wait the whole break to finish, like I did.

Top Bottom