• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Neither can I.
When someone makes a hyperbole like "poor writing" it just comes across as trying too hard to be edgy while swimming in nostalgia.
Personally, I find it pretty cheesy and heavy-handed. It also spends a lot of time with huge exposition dumps and constantly repeats things you already know or would have figured out. If that stuff really annoys you or you dislike typical anime writing then I think "poor" might be fair.

LiK

I was 60+ hours in the game when that happened so I don't know if I'd call that early. Still, that part was just uninteresting so I don't think I would've thought any different even if it was pushed to a later date.

Well, I don't mean in terms of game length but in terms of when you she joins you.

daveo42

Banned
Yes for the most part. Hanged man is kind of sucky though since guns aren't great and there's a better gun focused social link anyways. Temperance would also be kind of bad except the final ability is godlike and one of the other one has it's uses

Devil is also kind of a bummer for me when it comes to ability unlocks. She's good for charisma boost, but then again so is Sun and he nets you more negotiation stuff.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yes for the most part. Hanged man is kind of sucky though since guns aren't great and there's a better gun focused social link anyways. Temperance would also be kind of bad except the final ability is godlike and one of the other one has it's uses

Temperance is godlike before that imo, it basically doubles up and benefits from Hierophant. It's easily the best with Fortune to me.

Devil is the only standout for me in bad rewards.

evolve9

So I just played the first few hours and DAMN, this is definitely the most gripping beginning of any Persona game for me. I don't know how it will pan out in the long run but so far, the story seems much more focused than in the previous instalments where there was a fair bit of meandering here and there.

What really impressed me however, is how quickly the game established its own identity and how different it feels from P3 and P4. I'm really liking how the MC is perceived as a deliquent and how basically everyone treats him like shit lol. I mean no one except Ryuji and Morgana has said anything nice to him so far. I dunno, it feels fresh even though it follows the same blueprint of its predecessors and by my standards, that's a mark of a good sequel, at least story-wise.

I am getting annoyed by all the wrong pronounciations of japanese names though, but there's a whole thread for that.

daveo42

Banned
Unless you have a way to recover SP (something difficult in the first few Palaces) you can't reach to the Treasure in a day. I'm talking in Hard difficulty, but I suspect is similar in Normal.

Palace 3 can be cleared without the SP regen accessory on Normal if you manage your team and SP usage well enough. I think I had to use 1-2 SP items by the end, but clearing in one go is always nice if you can do it because of all the extra free time. As for Palace 2
It's easy to reach the treasure in two because it forces you out of the dungeon at the mid point.
From 4 on though, SP regen items are a must, even on normal.

Sami+

Personally, I find it pretty cheesy and heavy-handed. It also spends a lot of time with huge exposition dumps and constantly repeats things you already know or would have figured out. If that stuff really annoys you or you dislike typical anime writing then I think "poor" might be fair.

Coming off NieR Automata, it's definitely jarring. I'm very early in so I'm hoping I change my mind but so far it's too on the nose, not unlike Persona 4 ("you're not me!").

Edit: perfect example for me is the first Velvet Room visit very early on, where
you find yourself behind bars and take what you will from that, only for Igor to tell you point blank that you're a slave or something.
like yeah, I get it. And then they tell you the same thing over and over.

nOoblet16

Once you realise how the stealth system actually works in this game you guys will have a far smoother time. What you need to know is as long as you are in cover the enemies cannot see you, even if you are right in front of them inches away ! A lot of people have issues with sections where you have to traverse room full of enemies, you can clear that room out in like 10 seconds if you move cover to cover.

Also a small tip, if you want to swap cover by 90 degrees and avoid popping out of it accidentally then you need to keep in mind that when in cover the direction Joker moves is not determined by the camera but it is relative to where Joker is at that moment. So say there is an L shaped cover and you are taking cover at _ and want to go to |, then you need to press up. But if your camera is aligned in such a way that it is looking at | while you are taking cover at _ the usual tendency is to press left to swap to the cover. This is a mistake as it will make you leave the cover since left for Joker would be outside the cover. It's a bit difficult to explain but I've tried my best and it really is the main reason why people have issues swapping covers in this game.

duckroll

How deep are you in the game right now? I felt very good about Persona 5 up until the 4th palace but after that, it just went downhill and it's still going that way for me. I think at the beginning I was hoping that later on we'll get those fun interactions between the group and get to see and know them better, but those parts never came (and what they showed during certain scenes were just plain bad) and instead it's been all "Phantom Thieves" talk.

It's gotten really annoying.

Likewise, it's the complete opposite for me. Thus far, I've either hated or disliked most of the social parts in the story. I think it's mainly because they don't talk about characters but just focus on "Phantom Thieves", instead. Also I really dislike how MC is pretty non-existent in this game.

I'm only in July, after the third dungeon, but I honestly cannot relate to preferring P4's slow boring ass country life stuff over P5's much more bad ass juvenile edgelord FIGHT THE POWER plot. Like I said, it's basically Persona 3 evolved. And Persona 3 is the best. No one wastes time hanging out just for the sake of hanging out because urban life in the city is fast paced and sucks you in. Everyone is dead serious even about the dumbest shit, and there's no time for Scooby Doo shit. The Phantom Thieves are the new SEES.

Hadoukie

Complete opposite for me, I care more about P5's characters than I do P4. P5 does a better job of connecting the characters with each other, if anything. That scene where Yusuke asks about Ann and Ryuji's relationship was very good, in particular. Or the part when everyone hangs out with Futaba in pairs. Slice of life stuff is much more prevalent in this game than Persona 4 and makes me connect with the characters a lot more. And dynamics actually exist between characters outside of the MC.
Same here. I like these chars way more than P4.

Coming off NieR Automata, it's definitely jarring. I'm very early in so I'm hoping I change my mind but so far it's too on the nose, not unlike Persona 4 ("you're not me!").
That might be my issue too, lol. I didn't find it an issue in P4 but maybe it's because the game never seemed to take itself as seriously as P5 does.

LiK

I'm only in July, after the third dungeon, but I honestly cannot relate to preferring P4's slow boring ass country life stuff over P5's much more bad ass juvenile edgelord FIGHT THE POWER plot. Like I said, it's basically Persona 3 evolved. And Persona 3 is the best. No one wastes time hanging out just for the sake of hanging out because urban life in the city is fast paced and sucks you in. Everyone is dead serious even about the dumbest shit, and there's no time for Scooby Doo shit. The Phantom Thieves are the new SEES.

P3 still my least fave. Maybe I'll try to play it again for the 4th time later this year.

abundant

Yes. I'm not done yet, am in late October, but having looked up a lot of info and maxed it, I'd say Temperance is the one to prioritize over all others. If possible make sure you do rank 7 to 8 before summer break. Otherwise, you have to wait until after summer break is over.

You should also get the Fortune to rank 7 ASAP, which lets you pay 5000 yen to boost a S. Link of your choice, making it faster to get to the next rank.

Wink

I don't think this overall story resonates as much with me as P4 did (or even P3 for that matter), but the gameplay has improved so much that 5 will be the first Persona where I'll go through NG+.
Might also just be because I'm older and more experienced with storytelling that it doesn't floor me as much as the concepts in the earlier games did, but I still think besides a few spotty dialogues here and there that the writing is excellent and the effort it makes in being of relevance with the social commentary is a valiant one. I appreciate that it might help some younger gamers to think about the themes and issues it brings up.
I do think that the main story progression and how the mystery of what exactly is going on is treated both previous games did it in a more engaging way for me.

well, because persona 3 is pretty awful. Thats why

Weebos

Banned
So when do we think we will start hearing about P5 spinoffs, anime, or enhanced editions? There is some sort of Persona event in Japan this summer, right?

_Ryo_

I've composed a list of little known facts that you may have skipped over when reading tutorials.

1. Look at the in game calendar to see the deadline to send calling card and the deadline to steal the treasure.

2. You can not fully rotate the Carmen or Cybele personas when viewing their attributes.

3. You can press SQUARE on the in game map to see which locations have active, inactive or suspended confidant levels, which also tells you if you will rank up that session.

4. When you perform Technical on Shadows it means you can do a combo. Ex. Performing a fire attack when enemies are frozen or a wind attack when enemies are burned to deal heavy damage.

5. Unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4 you can change your Persona more than once per turn until you take an action.

6. On the HOLD UP screen, it tells you the mood of the shadow you're negotiating with, which makes obtaining Persona easier.

7. You can get a free Persona swap by auto detecting weaknesses when pressing R1.

Corrections and additions credited to Guess Who, Suzushiiro, and Mister_Ruck.

Aselith

Is there any reason to hang with someone at Max rank? I thought maybe I would get guaranteed max station increase or so.ething but it didn't increase at all :/

I think I don't understand this very well, but Devil Survivor is basically Press-Turn lite. If anything I want a improved version from that (Devil Survivor 3 when? ;_;)

I meant a Final Fantasy Tactics like game with the P3, P4 and P5 cast, where you pick a team and you fight on a traditional grid (a little bit like Devil Survivor), but with Personae instead of demons. Nothing like Persona Q, please.

I think I don't understand this very well, but Devil Survivor is basically Press-Turn lite. If anything I want a improved version from that (Devil Survivor 3 when? ;_;)

Unless you have a way to recover SP (something difficult in the first few Palaces) you can't reach to the Treasure in a day. I'm talking in Hard difficulty, but I suspect is similar in Normal.
I can reach the treasure in a single day on normal in the early palaces.

Probably since Tower is so late that I guess it's easy to miss. Hanged might have had more impact if it wasn't such an early Guts check too.
I guess so. Maybe it should have been a mandatory upgrade? The
all out gun attack
and
instant knock down
is BROKEN so I can see why it they chose to hide it behind a arcana.

Jiraiza

I don't know, I get super Scooby Doo vibes, mainly because of Morgana though.

LiK

So when do we think we will start hearing about P5 spinoffs, anime, or enhanced editions? There is some sort of Persona event in Japan this summer, right?

anime adaptation is a no-brainer. depends if they go tv show or movies.

shiba5

After finishing the game, I still have one burning question that needs answered:

Where did Yuseke hide the lobsters while on the subway and where are they now?

Sami+

That might be my issue too, lol. I didn't find it an issue in P4 but maybe it's because the game never seemed to take itself as seriously as P5 does.

Palace 1,
when you enter the room with all the volleyball girls-

Me: wow, gross. He sees all the girls like that.
Ryuji: WOW, THIS IS HOW HE SEES THE GIRLS ON THE TEAM? THAT BASTARD!

🙄🙄🙄

LiK

Palace 1,

🙄🙄🙄

it's pretty eye popping. i was like "wow, they went there"

Ultimadrago

For me, I've always brought up Persona 4's fluffy scenes as a strength vs. Persona 3's colder dynamic (while that had its strengths too, like Junpei's development). However, in the case of Persona 5, I'm actually preferring its approach over Persona 4's, which now comes off as saccharine in comparison. The team not being full of kick-the-shit scenes and lack of Teddie Puns (for a few cat ones) is a better balance which I feel can improve even more in future titles.

Disclaimer: I like all three games.

well, because persona 3 is pretty awful. Thats why

Getout.gif

"Boring ass country life"... I think I like you. Despite the "let's catch the murderer" plot, the game somehow managed to get pretty boring at times.

I don't understand why people say this when the tower arcana makes guns broken.

Tower makes them pretty good, but they're still a bit on the weak side imo and even with the double ammo tower ability limited ammo is still annoying. And regardless, the customized guns still aren't really necessary or super useful beyond what you can normally get

Guess Who

Banned
Palace 1,

������

I genuinely don't understand how this is a problem. What would you prefer Ryuji's reaction to be?

You can until you attack, then you're locked in

I think that might be true, but that's more a QoL change than something that affects battles.

Vorheez

I had no clue that there was a monster hunting mechanic in this game... I was so happy to discover that haha. It really is like an adult Pokemon in some ways.

Does the game become a little less hands on later? I just got to the second palace, and I'm a little irritated that the game is still holding my hand and restricting me from doing things. Is that the template for the entire game?

2. You can not fully rotate the Carmen or Cybele personas when viewing their attributes.

I just noticed that yesterday after getting Cybele. I see why they did that but still kinda weird. If we have a giant penis in a chariot, I don't see the harm in the ability to see a demon's butt.

LiK

For me, I've always brought up Persona 4's fluffy scenes as a strength vs. Persona 3's colder dynamic (while that had its strengths too, like Junpei's development). However, in the case of Persona 5, I'm actually preferring its approach over Persona 4's, which now comes off as saccharine in comparison. The team not being full of kick-the-shit scenes and lack of Teddie Puns (for a few cat ones) is a better balance which I feel can improve even more in future titles.

Disclaimer: I like all three games.

P5 seems to do a pretty good job combining both the cold and warm of the P3 and P4 pretty well.

Top Bottom