• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

I don't think this one is true?

It's not. But one thing you can do is use the auto-weakness thing and it will swap your Persona for free, and that doesn't count against you.

or it could be this actually:
I think you can switch freely until you actually take an action, so if you fatfinger something or change your mind you're not fucked. But if you switch and then get a one-more you can't switch again.

I have become a sobbing ball of emotions after (12/24 very, very endgame level spoilers)
freeing all my teammates from their cells in the Velvet Room.
I may never recover.

And people were doubting Joker as the leader. That and
him going on the lam for a month for his team
cement him in that role hard.

Hold R2 and you'll jump automatically without stopping like Assassin's Creed.

You can also hold X as you approach things if you're like me and don't usually like to dash.

Also I really dislike how MC is pretty non-existent in this game.

What. Joker has so much more of a presence than Yu ever did. Between more battle quips, actually talking in some cutscenes, inner monologues, and having profile art show up on the side (so that he actually has one like everyone else does when they talk), he actually feels like he exists in the party.

Never mind what he does for his team during a few major events in the late game.

I'm only in July, after the third dungeon, but I honestly cannot relate to preferring P4's slow boring ass country life stuff over P5's much more bad ass juvenile edgelord FIGHT THE POWER plot. Like I said, it's basically Persona 3 evolved. And Persona 3 is the best. No one wastes time hanging out just for the sake of hanging out because urban life in the city is fast paced and sucks you in. Everyone is dead serious even about the dumbest shit, and there's no time for Scooby Doo shit. The Phantom Thieves are the new SEES.
Persona 4 is the only Persona game that I've played before, so I don't know how Persona 3 was but I grew tired of how Persona 5 handles its character and plot after the 4th dungeon. I don't mind the game focusing on more serious stuff, but the game spending considerable time on Phantom Thieves while, barley focusing on individual characters, makes the cast a lot weaker for me.

I don't know, maybe we just have different opinions. Though, I do wanna say one thing. The game will become very sluggish and slow later on so it won't be as fast as it is for you right now, and that hurts the game a lot. Mainly because the characters have nothing to say other than talk about Phantom Thieves and that gets old really fast.

I'm kinda disappointed on how Mishima was handled in this game. He is just another one of these guys who is the syndrome of the random teen who gets bullied by everyone in a game / movie / series that talks about bullying but if it's him it's ok. Kinda defeats the purpose...

And also, he is portrayed as a douche, so it's even more okay to trashtalk him. It completely infurriates me because Mishima is clearly closer what is the typical bullied teenager than the beautiful Ann or the muscular Ryuji.

asagami_

Banned
I can reach the treasure in a single day on normal in the early palaces.

Palace 3 can be cleared without the SP regen accessory on Normal if you manage your team and SP usage well enough. I think I had to use 1-2 SP items by the end, but clearing in one go is always nice if you can do it because of all the extra free time. As for Palace 2
It's easy to reach the treasure in two because it forces you out of the dungeon at the mid point.
From 4 on though, SP regen items are a must, even on normal.

Hard was pretty brutal then. It was worth imho.

duckroll

I'm inclined to agree but it's been so long since I played it. I still remember being devastated though, the emotional impact was certainly grand.

To me, Persona is about self-oppression and the crushing expectations of urban society on youths. That's been true since the first Persona. It's what sets it apart from SMT. Persona 3 is the quintessential Persona story all the way through to the ending.

Persona 4 is #NotMyPersona.

I'm kinda disappointed on how Mishima was handled in this game. He is just another one of these guys who is the syndrome of the random teen who gets bullied by everyone in a game / movie / series that talks about bullying but if it's him it's ok. Kinda defeats the purpose...

It's okay even the game calls him a useless npc.

nOoblet16

I'll have to recheck when I get home but I'm pretty sure the game allowed me to do it, several times.

I don't think this one is true?
You can change your persona only once per turn BUT you can equip and browse through all of them as many times as you want before using that turn.

So say you get your turn and have Seth equipped by default, you can then instead choose to equip Isis but as soon as you do that you change your mind and decide you want to use Cerberus instead. As long as you didn't use Isis's ability you can swap to Cerberus. Once you use the ability though, you are locked to that persona for that turn as you have swapped once already in that turn.

In Persona 4 if you had one persona equipped and then you select another one but then decide to change your mind the game wouldn't allow you to equip another persona, and as such you have to use the one you have currently equipped.

It is also a MASSIVE help that all your Persona's ability are visible to you by default while you are browsing through them using triangle. You don't need to press an extra button to see what abilities they have...which is what you had to do in Persona 4.

I'm inclined to agree but it's been so long since I played it. I still remember being devastated though, the emotional impact was certainly grand.

P3 definitely had a better main story than P4 imo and P5 is debatable, especially since I feel like the themes of P5 will hit harder if you're more familiar with Japanese culture (which isn't to say it's not relatable outside of Japanese culture, but more that the themes are heavily influenced by very specific and pervasive bits of Japanese culture that may not always be exactly the same or as extreme overseas) beyond just anime compared to the more universal theme P3 presented. That said the social links in 3 outside the main story were kind of garbage for the most part

Mariip

I'm only in July, after the third dungeon, but I honestly cannot relate to preferring P4's slow boring ass country life stuff over P5's much more bad ass juvenile edgelord FIGHT THE POWER plot. Like I said, it's basically Persona 3 evolved. And Persona 3 is the best. No one wastes time hanging out just for the sake of hanging out because urban life in the city is fast paced and sucks you in. Everyone is dead serious even about the dumbest shit, and there's no time for Scooby Doo shit. The Phantom Thieves are the new SEES.
I think this game actually makes a good balance between p4 scooby doo shit and p3 crawling in my skin edgyness, the thing that bothered me in p3 was that MEMENTO MORI stuff being shoved in your face anywhere you go, it was depressing and annoying even with the girl MC that had a better personality.
I felt like they borrowed a lot of the good things from other personas besides 3 and 4, the party is still not p2 levels of awesomeness but the characters feel a bit more natural and relatable instead of anime tropes and comedy reliefs. Ryuji is your best bud yet he doesn't feel too much like(the worst side of) junpei like yosuke did, he is no eikichi but it's a massive improvement in party dinamics because he is less creepy than the others... yusuke has a lot of funny scenes but they were all done with some finesse, and futaba is nice so far, they feel like real people i know, like p2 party did, and there is no teddie :)
My problem with the characters being so natural is that some social links feel boring, i only remember a bit about Ann's for example :/

I'm about to start searching for palace 5, is it really that bad dungeon wise? I'm loving the dungeons in ths game so far

Sami+

I genuinely don't understand how this is a problem. What would you prefer Ryuji's reaction to be?

I think that might be true, but that's more a QoL change than something that affects battles.

The symbolism is already very clear, personally I would prefer there not be in game dialogue explaining what I can already see.

Opa-Pa

I liked P3 well enough back in the day but looking back the writing is so cringey it hurts. It's like some teenager took Persona and made a fanfic focusing in it being as dark as possible while slapping a lot of latin words to it to make it sound deep because they just finished watching Evangelion last night.

IMO as far as story goes: P2 duology >>>>> P5 > P4 > P1 = P3

I don't think P1's story is bad or anything, just nothing too exciting but pretty good overall. P3 has some great concepts that are ruined by how edgy it is. P4 is pretty good but not really amazing, just endearing and very entertaining.

Why shouldnt we count soulsborne games though? Their dungeons would be just as great with turnbased enemies running around.

I dunno I think they prioritize different things because of the difference in genres and even trying to adjust a couple things Souls-like wouldn't work that well in a turn-based RPG, but may I need to think this up a bit more.

For what is worth, I consider Souls' best the epitome of level design in 3D gaming.

Setsu00

His S.Link is definitely worth exploring for that reason.
It's the reason why Mishima becomes so fixated on the Phantom Thieves in the first place because it gives him a chance to be more than just a nobody. Mishima tolerates the bullying because he thinks that's his role in the world and doesn't really get beyond this thinking until the end of his S.Link. I thought it was an interesting spin on the whole "chains of society" theme.

PK Gaming

I've only played golden, but that had A LOT more than P5 does. Both are far better than 3 though

I know P4G like the back of my hand and that is most certainly not the case. Conversations are a lot more direct and personal in 5. In P4, personal connections that don't involve the protagonist are extremely rare. Group conversations in that game are almost always about the case or whatever wacky situation they're currently in. In P5, you have stuff like Yusuke directly asking Ryuji about his past, Ann and Ryuji's conversation in
Hawaii
, Futaba coding with Morgana, Makoto and Sae's conversations, party members appearing in each other confidants, Mementos conversations and the various text messages. The interpersonal relationships in P5 are just way better than in P4. Like, Chie and Yukiko are best friends and we don't spend a single moment on their friendship after the first arc. Makoto and Ann get a scene together, where the protagonist isn't even present. And that's not even getting into group dynamics, where you can have Yusuke
chew out Ryuji for fucking up
in one scene and joke around with him in the next. The P4 group dynamic was significantly more static.

LiK

The symbolism is already very clear, personally I would prefer there not be in game dialogue explaining what I can already see.

It's def one of those aspects of the writing where they feel the need to explain it to people who might be too dense to figure it out.

For me, I've always brought up Persona 4's fluffy scenes as a strength vs. Persona 3's colder dynamic (while that had its strengths too, like Junpei's development). However, in the case of Persona 5, I'm actually preferring its approach over Persona 4's (which now comes off as saccharine in comparison). The team not being full of kick-the-shit scenes and lack of Teddie Puns (for a few cat ones) is a better balance which I feel can improve even more in future titles.

Disclaimer: I like all three games.

Where Persona 4 remains so strong to me is that every issue they deal with feels realistic. A lot of character issues are standard teenage problems like insecurities, fear of their future, and loneliness. Each social link delves really deeply into those things. Despite P5 doing a really good job in the main story of showing growth and character dynamic, I havent found any slink that hits close to the mark of P4's. The side character slinks have actually trended better than the party for the most part.

Ann ends up my biggest disappointment as she is dealing with something similar to things I went through in high school
Suicide, but her slink falls on its face with its focus on "imma be a strong model for Shizui" in a way that never felt close to believable.

Also I do find the whole "darker" think to be overblown. P4's cast was definitely a more willing to smile at the darkness, but that didnt stop the game from making it hard for them. Yosuke's smile is so forced due to the actions at the beginning of the game, and of course the whole hanged man slink is painful.

P5 has actually been a lot softer with things like (post dungeon 5 spoilers)
Shizui surviving her suicide attempt, and Haru's dad being evil before his death anyway allowing Haru to accept it much easier.

Am I the only one who thinks that with 3 games we can finally have a Persona Tactics with the awesome combat of Devil Survivor?

I kind of feel like Devil Survivor IS Persona Tactics already. Devil Survivor 2 has a less complex social link system, I guess, but otherwise it seems to have all the right components.

daveo42

Banned
I think I need to stay out of this thread until I beat the game the way some of you are hyping up stuff on a specific date.

asagami_

Banned
I liked P3 well enough back in the day but looking back the writing is so cringey it hurts. It's like some teenager took Persona and made a fanfic focusing in it being as dark as possible while slapping a lot of latin words to it to make it sound deep because they just finished watching Evangelion last night.

Eh, ignoring P5 for a while, I have almost the same opinion, but P3P (Female MC) is my second favorite Persona.

I don't think P1's story is bad or anything, just nothing too exciting but pretty good overall. P3 has some great concepts that are ruined by how edgy it is. P4 is pretty good but not really amazing, just endearing and very entertaining.

I dunno I think they prioritize different things because of the difference in genres and even trying to adjust a couple things Souls-like wouldn't work that well in a turn-based RPG, but may I need to think this up a bit more.

For what is worth, I consider Souls' best the epitome of level design in 3D gaming.
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not saying persona games should adopt souls style dungeons. I think it's fair to compare them though, from a basic design/layout perspective .
There has to be a reason why I find them more fun to explore and traverse .

Kindekuma

Banned
Been doing some Mementos quests, not really diggin' the whole deal with this. It's taking what didn't make P3 fun and then making some S Links limited to a mission that needs to be beaten.

Loving all the dough it gives me, but it's boring me to tears.

Opa-Pa

Eh, ignoring P5 for a while, I have almost the same opinion, but P3P (Female MC) is my second favorite Persona.

Ironically even though I give it a lot of crap, P5 is making me want to replay P3 in its P3P version, so I'll definitely go for FeMC this time around.

It sounds way less tryhard "dark" and more genuine, so it should be an improvement.

Ironically even though I give it a lot of crap, P5 is making me want to replay P3 in its P3P version, so I'll definitely go for FeMC this time around.

It sounds way less tryhard "dark" and more genuine, so it should be an improvement.
FeMC's MUCH improved Slinks alone make it far more enjoyable of a route to play

duckroll

And that is exactly why Persona 3 is the best, because it actually speaks to the teenagers of the day, rather than trying to be a story about teenagers which thinks it is better than them. It's not trying to be deep, I don't know why you would think that, it's simply speaking the language that the Japanese teenager understands.

Setsu00

It's def one of those aspects of the writing where they feel the need to explain it to people who might be too dense to figure it out.

Considering how some people managed to horribly misinterpret Naoto's Shadow in P4, I'm pretty sure that this was largely for the best.

Dragner

The fuck?

Was doing a random persona fusion between 2 level 10 personas to get another for a fusion when a random unskipable scene happens and well...this happened

5GQdjwdl.jpg

Good ol Mara

Guess Who

Banned

I took it more as Ryuji himself being the dense one - I think, for a kid like Ryuji who's just having all the cognitive psychology mumbojumboness of the Persona world explained to him, what he says is how I would expect him to react.

The fuck?

Was doing a random persona fusion between 2 level 10 personas to get another for a fusion when a random unskipable scene happens and well...this happened

5GQdjwdl.jpg

Bank error in your favor, collect your dick chariot.

Sciel

P3P Female Side is fantastic.
I remember the only issue I had was that the core game was 'gutted' to fit it on the PSP (menu style exploration, etc)

nOoblet16

And people were doubting Joker as the leader. That and
him going on the lam for a month for his team
cement him in that role hard.

You can also hold X as you approach things if you're like me and don't usually like to dash.

What. Joker has so much more of a presence than Yu ever did. Between more battle quips, actually talking in some cutscenes, inner monologues, and having profile art show up on the side (so that he actually has one like everyone else does when they talk), he actually feels like he exists in the party.

Never mind what he does for his team during a few major events in the late game.
The profile art is such a nice touch, the pose goes very well with some one liners. If Yu asks Joker why Joker gets a portrait but he doesn't, Joker would just say "You jelly?"

nOoblet16

I think the text chat adds an entirely new dynamic to the interaction between the characters, it makes it feel like these guys exist outside of cutscenes.

The fuck?

5GQdjwdl.jpg

Good ol Mara
Mara should have been chariot type rather than tower.

daveo42

Banned
The fuck?

5GQdjwdl.jpg

Good ol Mara

Real lucky fusion accident. Only one I got was Thoth 10 levels after he would have been useful.

PK Gaming

P3 didn't feel all that edgy to me. Some of the visuals lend itself to this incredibly oppressive experience, but the game itself wasn't all that dark. You're not some guy who sees death and bloodshed constantly, you're a highschool student trying to live every day to the fullest. Granted, there are some embarrassingly bad plot points (Strega), but for the most part it had a good narrative. Stronger than P4s, I feel.

_Ryo_

Does anyone else find this game easier than both Persona 3 and Persona 4, even when you're playing on the same or higher difficulty as you did on those games? I might regret saying that when fighting the final boss but so far, every boss has been pretty easy. Also I have done zero grinding at all. I have fused and captured very little personas. I've got about 12 and fused about 13.

mike6467

Approaching endgame it looks like I'll be 4-5 days short or so of maxing all slinks. Didn't use a guide, I think I went wrong by focusing too much on stats early on when so many of the slinks up them on their own. Unfortunately due to the schedule of some of these guys I may end up with like 4 of them at rank 9. Ah well, that's what NG+ is for....

Mariip

P3P Female Side is fantastic.
I remember the only issue I had was that the core game was 'gutted' to fit it on the PSP (menu style exploration, etc)
I actually liked the exploration better because it saved me a lot of time, p4 always seemed like it took too long to traverse such a small town, with p3 sized maps i feel like it'd take way more time for me to finish it
Wish it had some cutscenes though...

I love p4 but the female route for p3 is so awesome...(but my opinion is biased because i'm a girl and the edgyness of the male mc and his unwillingness to make friends with the male party members made me avoid vanilla p3 at all costs :/)

Sami+

Considering how some people managed to horribly misinterpret Naoto's Shadow in P4, I'm pretty sure that this was largely for the best.

What was there to misinterpret about Naoto? I remember everybody getting Kanji completely wrong but not Naoto.

Platypus

Nah this game definitely goes overboard with spelling out the meaning behind why so and so is the way it is. The imagery is often already very unsubtle as it is that it's extra annoying when characters feel the need to spell it out for me anyways.

Top Bottom