• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemstar

FES is worlds easier, since you get resist-all Orpheus Telos which is basically designed for her, but I bet it still involves a ton of prep work.

I did it in Portable. Skill cards made fusing Telos very easy, but I got bored of farming Malachites to craft Infinity with after a couple of hours, so I only took eight of them into the fight. Four cycles to do 10000 damage left four cycles for her to attack into High Counter into Armageddon range, which evidently wasn't very much time for it.

Margaret at least required some interactivity, instead of the same rotation up until the threshold.

Trigger

I liked the Margaret fights more. Persona is a party-based RPG so ditching my party for a bonus fight feels weird. Liz and Theo can bite me.

Marche90

Good bonus bosses must offer a challenge compared to the main game, but not something completely off the scale.

I tried to tackle Elizabeth during my 2nd (or was it third...? Can't remember) run of P3P... then I found out that I was missing key items for that fight. plus, she took me down within three or four turns. Stopped right there and kept going with that playthrough like that never happened.

I must confess that I did beat Margaret, though.... Using PCSX2 and savestates :lol. I need to fix that in the future.

cj_iwakura

Good bonus bosses must offer a challenge compared to the main game, but not something completely off the scale.

I tried to tackle Elizabeth during my 2nd (or was it third...? Can't remember) run of P3P... then I found out that I was missing key items for that fight. plus, she took me down within three or four turns. Stopped right there and kept going with that playthrough like that never happened.

I must confess that I did beat Margaret, though.... Using PCSX2 and savestates :lol. I need to fix that in the future.

Atlus bonus bosses are known for setting the standard since Demi-Fiend.

Sophia

Although I've never beaten him, I do believe the Demi-Fiend is a tad bit fairer than Elizabeth is, if not easier. His difficulty is woefully out of place in a game as easy as Digital Devil Saga however.

cj_iwakura

Although I've never beaten him, I do believe the Demi-Fiend is a tad bit fairer than Margaret is, if not easier.

That's ridiculous. Unless you mean Elizabeth.

If you null ANYTHING against Demi-Fiend, you die instantly. You could very well die in the first turn to a fluke Mamudoon. If you don't fall asleep when Pixie or Titania show up, you die to Gaea Rage. And not to mention his nonstop crits and demon summoning.

His reputation is well earned. Elizabeth is a totally different type of beast, since you fight her solo and she requires very strict Persona management. And she has a high crit rate on par with the Demi-Fiend's. If she knocks you down, you are screwed.

Marche90

Atlus sure loves their totally insane bonus bosses, huh?

If you didn't know what you're doing, Megidoladyne will bring back bad memories. Talking about those games, Alice was insanely easy for a bonus boss, now that I think about it...

Meia

Just finished the second Phoenix Wright game, and man I can't believe I've missed out on this series up til now. Think I was worried they'd be short, not something you'd want to playthrough multiple times, and therefore not worth the money. Got more enjoyment out of the series so far than most games in recent memory.

Astra

Just finished the second Phoenix Wright game, and man I can't believe I've missed out on this series up til now. Think I was worried they'd be short, not something you'd want to playthrough multiple times, and therefore not worth the money. Got more enjoyment out of the series so far than most games in recent memory.

Trials and Tribulations is up next. You're in for a real treat!

cjkeats

What Lacke said, T&T is insane. Prepare yourself.

edit:
OMzOrnN.jpg
HHHNNNGGGGG @ Maki in the P4 uniform.

cjkeats

And I thank you for it! P1 is a great game with an unfortunate battle system. People say the story is the weakest, but I disagree! I quite liked it.

I really hope we see some of these characters again.

Young Magus

I did this to you cjkeats, I put you in this hole, I'm sorry...

And I thank you for it! P1 is a great game with an unfortunate battle system. People say the story is the weakest, but I disagree! I quite liked it.

I really hope we see some of these characters again.
I liked it as well, story was more then I hoped actually. Take a look at what you did to us buddha!!

I know I said this in IRC but I'll say in again here: Watching you play P1 made me see why you put in next to P3 in ranking: they were both trying to do something new and were interesting but had a number of flaws that hindered story development and minor game-play issues

imBask

Banned
re-picked up my P3P game after finishing p4g

I was 21h in, haven't played in a year so i'm really confused about what was going on in the story but I completely destroyed the early august full moon boss, so i'm guessing I overgrinded the tartarus before giving up on the game lol

played for an hour last night and I remembered that the story wasn't as interesting in my opinion as the one from P4, and it was part of the reason why I dropped the game in the first place... i'm guessing i'm about halfway through right now, am I right?

Meia

re-picked up my P3P game after finishing p4g

I was 21h in, haven't played in a year so i'm really confused about what was going on in the story but I completely destroyed the early august full moon boss, so i'm guessing I overgrinded the tartarus before giving up on the game lol

played for an hour last night and I remembered that the story wasn't as interesting in my opinion as the one from P4, and it was part of the reason why I dropped the game in the first place... i'm guessing i'm about halfway through right now, am I right?

Game's layout is very similar to 4, but it's more back ended, content and story wise, so maybe halfway or a little less.

You're around the time the story really ratchets up at any rate, just stick with it. :)

imBask

Banned
Game's layout is very similar to 4, but it's more back ended, content and story wise, so maybe halfway or a little less.

You're around the time the story really ratchets up at any rate, just stick with it. :)

It's just a preference thing, I don't feel as invested in the story in P3 as I did in P4

I love colorful stories with fun and lovely characters, and I always felt like P3 is way WAY darker and the "goofy" character would be Junpei and sadly I don't like him at all haha

its actually something I never liked in many JRPGs, way too many "dark and edgy" stories for me... dark-ish JRPGs just don't cut it for me, couldnt finish any FF game, couldn't finish Chrono Trigger either. Really enjoyed Ni No Kuni and P4G

The weird thing is : I LOVE dark stories in other games, I enjoyed the shit out of The Walking Dead, the Resident Evil games, Red Dead Redemption, etc!

I'll try to stick with it anyway, just because I enjoyed P4 so much

Sophia

It all depends on how you feel about melodrama, methinks. Persona 2 and Persona 3 are heavier on it, compared to Persona 1 and Persona 4.

That said, I think most would agree that the final act of Persona 3 is excellent.

P3 wasn't doing it for me either at first, but about halfway I started to really like it. I also like that P4 is 'brighter'. Plus I played it after P4 which does pretty much everything better than P3 gameplay-wise.

imBask

Banned
P3 wasn't doing it for me either at first, but about halfway I started to really like it. I also like that P4 is 'brighter'. Plus I played it after P4 which does pretty much everything better than P3 gameplay-wise.

that's pretty much my situation right now

my junpei is 16 level back because I haven't used him in a while

how does this make you feel

It makes me confused considering he becomes one of the best characters in the game both story- and gameplay-wise later on.

But hey, if you want to miss out on that then more power to you ;P

imBask

Banned
It makes me confused considering he becomes one of the best characters in the game both story- and gameplay-wise later on.

But hey, if you want to miss out on that then more power to you ;P

well I didn't really looked at any guides to tell me about who to play so yeaaaahhh, whatever I still don't like him, i'll play it my way and regret later haha

Levito

Banned
So folks, I figure most of you Persona fans also have played Demon's/Dark Souls. Here's my question: Should I play both in preparation for Dark Souls 2?

I don't have a ton of time to play games anymore, and I'm debating whether I should play Demon's Souls AND Dark Souls or just play one or the other.

Thoughts?

Especially in a game with such great characters, I wouldn't like leaving party members underleveled like that. I like to rotate. Means you can swap out when you know if one is weak to a move a boss uses too.

FluxWaveZ

Especially in a game with such great characters, I wouldn't like leaving party members underleveled like that. I like to rotate. Means you can swap out when you know if one is weak to a move a boss uses too.

Well, it's not like this is Fire Emblem where a character's personality or story even matters in the context of dungeons except for the very few lines of dialogue you can initiate with party members.

It's more efficient and less time consuming to stick with a set group of characters than it is to go through all of them. This is probably why I'd want an FFX style battle system or something else where the player wouldn't have to worry about leaving party members behind in terms of levelling.

Sophia

So folks, I figure most of you Persona fans also have played Demon's/Dark Souls. Here's my question: Should I play both in preparation for Dark Souls 2?

I don't have a ton of time to play games anymore, and I'm debating whether I should play Demon's Souls AND Dark Souls or just play one or the other.

Thoughts?

Both games are excellent in their own right and will prepare you for Dark Souls 2. I personally prefer Demon's Souls myself, as I feel it's the better designed game, but Dark Souls has a more open-ish world layout to it.

Well, it's not like this is Fire Emblem where a character's personality or story even matters in the context of dungeons except for the very few lines of dialogue you can initiate with party members.

It's more efficient and less time consuming to stick with a set group of characters than it is to go through all of them. This is probably why I'd want an FFX style battle system or something else where the player wouldn't have to worry about leaving party members behind in terms of levelling.

I'd be okay with FFX style party-switching and shared XP, unless we're getting multiple Personae per party member back.

imBask

Banned
What kind of monster are you?!

haha here's why :

I love to add some goofy roleplay in my head when I play RPGs

In exemple : I made the decision to hate Chie in p4. I kept answering the worst possible answer whenever she talked to me, refuse any invitation and dropped her as soon as possible. You wouldnt believe how much more fun it is when everyone's having fun and the only person you're shutting down during dialogues is Chie...

And I just remembered that I did kind of something similar in p3, I maxed out Kenji as fast as possible for no particular reason, proclaiming him my bro for life

It really adds to the fun when you talk about the game with some friends

I always manage to have personas for every situation on me

Trigger

Chie is great. You've made an enemy today imbask!
j/k

Thoughts?

Play Demon Souls and then try Dark Souls. I think Demon Souls will give you an indication of whether or not the series is your thing. Demon Souls is also pretty long so it can fill a gaming drought pretty well.

It's more efficient and less time consuming to stick with a set group of characters than it is to go through all of them.

It is? I've never had to go out of my way to grind. I like to rotate mostly because it's more fun that way. If the game's offering me these different options I want to use them. I think it'd be kinda boring to stick with the same. Though I did change things up a little in P3. Aigis became a permanent member simply because she's my favourite (and didn't use much SP), and for the final stretch of Tartarus I decided on a final boss team and stuck with it for exp, but I couldn't do that for a whole game.

Levito

Banned
Both games are excellent in their own right and will prepare you for Dark Souls 2. I personally prefer Demon's Souls myself, as I feel it's the better designed game, but Dark Souls has a more open-ish world layout to it.

How long would you say each game is generally?

Play Demon Souls and then try Dark Souls. I think Demon Souls will give you an indication of whether or not the series is your thing. Demon Souls is also pretty long so it can fill a gaming drought pretty well.

I've played a fair bit of Demon's Souls in the past, I do really love the gameplay. Both games are really huge time syncs though right? I'm asking which should I play if I only could only play one or ther other.

imBask

Banned
Dark Souls is about 20-30h to 100h long, it really depends on how much you dick around, explore, craft and upgrade stuff, etc

FluxWaveZ

It is? I've never had to go out of my way to grind. I like to rotate mostly because it's more fun that way. If the game's offering me these different options I want to use them. I think it'd be kinda boring to stick with the same. Though I did change things up a little in P3. Aigis became a permanent member simply because she's my favourite (and didn't use much SP), and for the final stretch of Tartarus I decided on a final boss team and stuck with it for exp, but I couldn't do that for a whole game.

Well, unless you're playing on Easy, I'd imagine constantly rotating party members would definitely take more time than sticking with the same characters. I didn't have to grind playing on Normal in P4 and P4G, but that's because I always had the same party.

Sure, it's more repetitive to stick with the same party than always having a new composition, but it'd be far more tedious for me to do that than it would be to just have the same characters battling the whole way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom