• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

I've played a fair bit of Demon's Souls in the past, I do really love the gameplay. Both games are really huge time syncs though right? I'm asking which should I play if I only could only play one or ther other.

Oh, then Dark Souls. More active community IMO, and the game will probably be closer to DS2 mechanically. Imbask is on the money in that a playthrough can be pretty long if you dick around. Took me 70hrs* my first time through.

I'm really bad at the game.

Meia

Purposely hating on Chie? That + Junpei talk = Monster status confirmed.

Demon's Souls had the more varied worlds and monster types I think, but Dark Souls had the better world I guess. Everything being connected was cool in Dark Souls, while Demon's had a 1-1, 2-1 layout to it.

I'd say you should definitely go through Dark Souls at the very least just to see if you'd like it probably, as I can't imagine DS2 being too much different from 1.

If you go with Dark Souls, just try and figure out what kind of character you want beforehand. You really don't want to put points into stats if you're not going to really make use of them. Though every build has 40 in END and 40 in VIT, you probably want to pump up whatever attack stat you're going with first.

Well, unless you're playing on Easy, I'd imagine constantly rotating party members would definitely take more time than sticking with the same characters. I didn't have to grind playing on Normal in P4 and P4G, but that's because I always had the same party.

Sure, it's more repetitive to stick with the same party than always having a new composition, but it'd be far more tedious for me to do that than it would be to just have the same characters battling the whole way through.

I dunno, I've only played the games on Normal and never found it tedious. It's down to what style you prefer to play, and it's pretty much flexibility vs. power and the former's just how I roll.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, I've only played the games on Normal and never found it tedious. It's down to what style you prefer to play, and it's pretty much flexibility vs. power and the former's just how I roll.

Sure, that's what I'm saying. I personally don't want to play it that way but it's fine that that's how you want to play. There's no "right" or "wrong" way.

Sophia

It's easy enough to keep the entire party even leveled. The way XP is calculated basically means anyone behind gets caught up real fast.

Does the amount you get depend on the difference between yours and the enemy's level? I thought I noticed a difference, didn't mention it because I wasn't certain.

Levito

Banned
Thanks for the tips on Demon's/Dark Souls all, not sure which I'll go with yet though.

You know, we may seem desperate for Persona 5 news, but we still pale in comparison to Half-life fans.It's getting to the point where a patch for Half-life 2 is a grand conspiracy for Half-life 3.

Sophia

Does the amount you get depend on the difference between yours and the enemy's level? I thought I noticed a difference, didn't mention it because I wasn't certain.

Short gist: EXP is evenly split between party members when you kill a mob. Anyone lower level than the protagonist receives bonus experience, anyone higher level than the protagonist receives reduced experience. Fuuka receives whatever the protagonist receives.

This is also true of the Protagonist's Persona. It receives the same experience as he does, but gets a bonus or penalty accordingly.

If you want to power level someone, take them (and ONLY them) into Tartarus with your Protagonist, and have the Protagonist solo enemies that are as high level as you can manage.

Pretty much the same rules for Persona 4.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Thanks for the tips on Demon's/Dark Souls all, not sure which I'll go with yet though.

You know, we may seem desperate for Persona 5 news, but we still pale in comparison to Half-life fans.It's getting to the point where a patch for Half-life 2 is a grand conspiracy for Half-life 3.

We all know Valve can't count to 3.

Astra

So folks, I figure most of you Persona fans also have played Demon's/Dark Souls. Here's my question: Should I play both in preparation for Dark Souls 2?

I don't have a ton of time to play games anymore, and I'm debating whether I should play Demon's Souls AND Dark Souls or just play one or the other.

Thoughts?

If you can, play both. Unless you're being super thorough, neither game is all that long.
I prefer Demon's Souls, myself. I feel the atmosphere and story are much better. Plus it has Maiden Astraea.

Both games play extremely similar, but DaS is a bit more streamlined. The estus flask for healing is much more convenient than the grass in DeS. However, I miss the mana pool from Demon's for magic. Magic in Dark just has a limited number of uses until your next bonfire rest.

DaS is on PC, though. I still recommend Demon's, however.

Both games are excellent in their own right and will prepare you for Dark Souls 2. I personally prefer Demon's Souls myself, as I feel it's the better designed game, but Dark Souls has a more open-ish world layout to it.

*robofist*

We all know Valve can't count to 3.

They sure can't

d03.jpg

Levito

Banned
So Sam Riegel(Teddie) just got back to me and said he's down to be on the podcast.

Who would like to be on the episode with him? :)

(date is not set, but it's looking like the 12 or 19th of July)

Also I was thinking of doing en episode focus on P3/P4 fans going back and trying P1/2, and the heated debate surrounding all that etc. Would anyone like to record that episode this Friday?

Astra

So Sam Riegel(Teddie) just got back to me and said he's down to be on the podcast.

Also I was thinking of doing en episode focus on P3/P4 fans going back and trying P1/2, and the heated debate surrounding all that etc. Would anyone like to record that episode this Friday?

Awesome! I look forward to listening to that one.
The P3/P4 crowd to P2 will be an amusing listen, as well.

Welp I owed you a spot anyways Scrafty, so yup you're on this panel. :)

Yessssssss

Thank you, man. It means a lot to me.

Hopefully I can weasel my way into Laura Bailey's inevitable panel as well so I can claim to have been on a podcast with my two favourite voice actors :)

Astra

Yessssssss

Hopefully I can weasel my way into Laura Bailey's inevitable panel as well so I can claim to have been on a podcast with my two favourite voice actors :)

I'll be completely jealous of you (and others) for being on there with Laura Bailey!

Meia

That's new Teddie, ya?

He really nailed it with the new stuff. The wait for the podcast will be unbearable.

Levito

Banned
Yessssssss

Erin said Laura would be totally down to do it, but it would be really hard cause Laura's really busy. It'll happen eventually, best way to get on that episode would be to help me actually get her on. ;D

I hope there are lots of bear puns.

Mos def.

Erin said Laura would be totally down to do it, but it would be really hard cause Laura's really busy. It'll happen eventually, best way to get on that episode would be to help me actually get her on. ;D

Is it okay if I speak as an envoy of S. Link FM over Twitter?

More VAs? Excellent.
This will be a beary special episode of S. Link FM.
Short gist: EXP is evenly split between party members when you kill a mob. Anyone lower level than the protagonist receives bonus experience, anyone higher level than the protagonist receives reduced experience. Fuuka receives whatever the protagonist receives.

This is also true of the Protagonist's Persona. It receives the same experience as he does, but gets a bonus or penalty accordingly.

If you want to power level someone, take them (and ONLY them) into Tartarus with your Protagonist, and have the Protagonist solo enemies that are as high level as you can manage.

Pretty much the same rules for Persona 4.

Huh. I thought it was more straightforward than that. And I thought the exp figure it shows you at the end of a battle is what the protagonist gets, didn't know that it splits...

Sophia

Huh. I thought it was more straightforward than that. And I thought the exp figure it shows you at the end of a battle is what the protagonist gets, didn't know that it splits...

That is what the protagonist gets after it splits and has done all the calculations. :p

Moonlight

Banned
I'd kill to get on a podcast with Laura, argh. All the same, mad excited for Sam's episode. S. Link FM is going places!

On an entirely unrelated note, I finished 999. Fucking incredible.

Astra

So I am going for the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy on my second playthrough. Are there any special considerations I should keep in mind while going for it?

I have the difficulty set on custom, with the lowest experience earned, as well as the lowest damage given and received.

Scan all enemies and have Rise comment on their weaknesses and strengths, doing this for both strong enemies, and weak enemies.

Waiting for Rise to comment on party member's afflictions, and low health as well as low on health outside of battle.

Are there any missable lines aside from boss battles?
Do we have to hear ALL of her lines, or just all the standard lines?

cj_iwakura

So folks, I figure most of you Persona fans also have played Demon's/Dark Souls. Here's my question: Should I play both in preparation for Dark Souls 2?

I don't have a ton of time to play games anymore, and I'm debating whether I should play Demon's Souls AND Dark Souls or just play one or the other.

Thoughts?

Absolutely play them both, but overall, Demon's is the better game.

PK Gaming

I really appreciate the initiative you're taking here. This is going to be awesome, I love Sam Riegel.

I don't think i'm quite ready to talk to actual VAs yet on a podcast yet, though one day i'll be ready

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I really appreciate the initiative you're taking here. This is going to be awesome, I love Sam Riegel.

I don't think i'm quite ready to talk to actual VAs yet on a podcast yet, though one day i'll be ready

Hah, I felt really derpy after talking with Erin when we had her on. Alcohol didn't kick in.

Also, distracted. :3

Taruranto

I've played a fair bit of Demon's Souls in the past, I do really love the gameplay. Both games are really huge time syncs though right? I'm asking which should I play if I only could only play one or ther other.

Na. You probably think so because of the online component, but it isn't the case.

DS is actually pretty short.

Sophia

So I just read some of the pages of the Persona 4 Official Design Works, thanks to Amazon offering samples.... this is quite the interesting detail.

"Who is your favorite character outside of the main character?"

Soejima: "The community [Social Link] character Matsunaga."

Applehead confirmed for superior social link.

Waiting desperately for the iOS port. Really hoping it's a July release in NA.

Please, please play it on DS if you can. The iOS port is looking to be an objectively bad port whose format will cause one or two of the twists to be rendered moot.

Plus the puzzle rooms were actually pretty clever, and were the source of some of the best dialogue in the game (here's lookin' at you, Funyarinpa).

Either way, you need to play it so that you can move on to the superior (in my eyes at least) VLR.

Levito

Banned

Should be fun. :)

Na. You probably think so because of the online component, but it isn't the case.

DS is actually pretty short.

"DS" is in reference to which game?

Looking at a lot of places, people are saying it takes 35-40 hours to complete Demon's Souls. That's a long game to me.

Jintor

I'll wait for the Laura episode lol. I want to chat about Maka...

Lev what did you think of my This American Life-style idea

Squire

Banned
Please, please play it on DS if you can. The iOS port is looking to be an objectively bad port whose format will cause one or two of the twists to be rendered moot.

Plus the puzzle rooms were actually pretty clever, and were the source of some of the best dialogue in the game (here's lookin' at you, Funyarinpa).

Either way, you need to play it so that you can move on to the superior (in my eyes at least) VLR.

If oblige you, but I don't have a DS of any kind, unfortunately.

Looking at a lot of places, people are saying it takes 35-40 hours to complete Demon's Souls. That's a long game to me.

35-40 hours is objectively long.

I'll wait for the Laura episode lol. I want to chat about Maka...

Lev what did you think of my This American Life-style idea

You should back this up, Lev. I love the idea. Might work as it's own episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom